CHAPTER V - Battle Brief

_____________

"Battle Brief has got to be the most boring class to exist

"Battle Brief has got to be the most boring class to exist."
____________

Battle brief had got to be the most boring class to exist.

Multiple times throughout the class I found myself dozing off, then startling awake when one of my fellow first-years would speak. I truly tried to pay attention, but there wasn't much that I didn't already know.

Professor Devera was going over all the topics we would talk about this year—and there was a lot. First-years had fear in their eyes as Devera went on. We hadn't even actually started the class yet and already first-years were feeling the pressure.

I had always found myself reading, much of the books being history. I was also forced into the Riders Quadrant, I knew to be prepared so I had studied much of the topics being discussed in Battle Brief.

Many cadets beside me scribbled down facts frantically while I made small notes on certain topics, merely as a refresher.

The only thing keeping me from dying of boredom was that Liam was here. I hadn't talked to him since yesterday. I missed my brother. I needed some comfort that only he could give. I had seen his eyes widen at my sling, and I had wished that I could talk to him. I decided that I would find him after and tell him everything—well not the Xaden part.

Professor Devera continues to speak, her voice soothing me to sleep. My head rested on my good hand, a pencil inches from me. I dozed off, waking occasionally when Professor Devera says something of interest, picking up my pencil occasionally to write down a topic.

Finally Professor Devera begins to actually start the class, giving us the real introduction. "In the past, riders have seldom been called into service before graduation."

I knew this of course, but talking about being called into service was what I would be doing after I graduate, so I supposed I should pay attention.

"And if they were, they were always third-years who'd spent time shadowing forward wings, but we expect you to graduate with the full knowledge of what we're up against. It's not about just knowing where every wing is stationed, either." Devera continues on, stopping to make contact with what seems to be every first-year in the room. "You need to understand the politics of our enemies, the strategies of defending our outposts from constant attack, and have a thorough knowledge of both recent and current battles. If you cannot grasp these basic topics, then you have no business on the back of a dragon." I nodded slightly. She had a point.

"No pressure," Rhiannon mutters to me.

"We'll be fine," I promise her in a whisper.

"Third-years have only been sent to midland posts as reinforcements, never the front." Violet adds reassuringly.