CHAPTER XIII - Bonds

__________________

"There are bonds so strong that nothing will break them

"There are bonds so strong that nothing will break them."

___________

The next morning I can't stop my heart from racing. My thoughts never calm, one moment playing over and over again till I am completely enveloped in the thought of a love I might have.

She's. Not. You.

She's. Not. You.

She's. Not. You.

She's. Not. You.

What am I supposed to do now? What could I possibly say that would ever live up to that? Nothing I had dreamt of was quite like that moment. The moment when Xaden looked me in the eyes and told me how much he cared for me.

"Elaine? Are you listening?" No. I wasn't listening, but I supposed I probably should have.

I walk in a line with the rest of my squad, Rhiannon in front of me and Violet behind. The path is narrow, with rocks lining the edges, falling when a cadet would accidentally hit one.

Rhiannon stares at me, her brows furrowed. "Did something happen?" She asks.

I quickly shake me head, making myself seem like a I didn't mean the gesture. "Nothing." Rhiannon raises an eyebrow.

"Does this happen to have something to do with a certain shadow wielder?" Rhiannon questions. I hate myself for the blush that rises up at the back of my neck.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I respond, crossing my arms and continuing down the path.

"Mhm." Rhiannon mutters with a smirk.

I turn to say something to her, to tell her that what's going on between me and Xaden is of no one's concern and definitely not worth the gossip. Before I can thought, a low rumbling comes, leading to a loud echo, making the rocks underneath my feet shake.

I look up, seeing the shadow of a large dragon fly overtop me. My eyes widen, my breath catching.

The dragon lands on a rock a few meters away from us. It's massive, incredibly tall with green scales littering it's body. This dragon isn't bonded, it's so much different than the dragons we've previously seen. Those ones were controlled, this one can do whatever it pleases.

I straighten my back as it stares into my eyes, it's cat-liked yellow gaze never leaving mine. It blows smoke form it's nostrils before flapping it's large wings and taking off.

My entire squad is speechless.

"Let's go, Second Squad, you're up next," Garrick says, motioning is forward and out of our trance. "Into formation," Garrick orders, his tone similar to the one Xaden uses. "Hopefully Aetos has done his job, so you know that it's a straight walk down the meadow. I'd recommend staying at least seven feet apart—"