CHAPTER II - The Parapet

_________________

"I will not die today

"I will not die today."
_______________

I will not die today.

The words repeated in my head as Rhiannon began her walk across the death bridge.

There wasn't much sense in calling it the parapet—I felt I should just call it what it is. It was a death trap, even more so when it was wet, and it just so happened to be raining.

My clothes were soaked, my hair was dripping wet and I was freezing. I willed my teeth not to chatter. I couldn't focus on the cold right now, not when I would have to cross the parapet in a matter of minutes. I had to focus on the task at hand.

Violet stood in front of me, quiet like she usually is. She watched Rhiannon as she walked across the rock. I already got the sense that Rhiannon would make it across.

Violet steps forward, so do I.

"Name?" The rider at the edge of the parapet asks Violet.

"Violet Sorrengail." She says. The rider gives her a shocked look, his eyes widening.

"Sorrengail?" He pauses for a moment. "As in General Sorrengail?"

That had to be the third time Violet had been asked that. I wanted to scoff at all the surprised faces. Name's don't matter as much in the Riders Quadrant. Your name won't keep you safe. The strongest will prevail—important name or not.

"The same." Violet says.

The rider motions for Violet to step onto the turret. She takes a deep breath before stepping onto the stone, her arms out, fingertips dragging across the stone.

Violet looks over her should and I mouth good luck. I have no doubt she will make it, she has the determination and if she has the balance—she'll be just fine.

"Next." The rider says, looking up at me.

I step forward, my heart pounding in my chest. I take a deep breath to steady myself, making sure I'm not shaking before walking over to the turret.

"Name?" The rider asks.

"Elaine Mairi." I say, my voice surprisingly calm.