CHAPTER IX - On-Mat Challanges

_____________

"On-mat challenges are starting

"On-mat challenges are starting."
__________

On-mat challenges are starting.

I shake my hands and jump up and down nervously, preparing myself for fighting my opponent. I had been told who it would be when I walked into the gym—a brunette first-year who I see hanging out with Jack most of the time.

He's sneering at me from across the gym. He's part of Jack's group of followers who all share one goal: to kill me and Violet. I seem to be the one that annoys them and Violet seems to be the one they think is a liability to the wing.

Jack and his followers can sneer at me all they want but sneering won't win them a challenge against me. I'm strong and have improved even more since starting to train in the forest. I've been fighting against Liam for the past three years in preparation for moments like these. I've only beaten Liam a few times but I can hold my own against him. I see no reason for these first-years to be stronger then him, their not even close to his height. I had also fought Xaden, the Wingleader and strongest rider in the quadrant. He may have been going easy on me, but he taught me a few things.

I watch Rhiannon fight the second-year she was assigned, beating the guy up. I made a mental note to never get on Rhiannon's bad side.

I see the second-year pass out and Rhiannon jumps off of him, wiping away the sweat from her forehead and smiling in victory. I cheer for her getting a look form Dain back. I raise an eyebrow at him. Does he have a problem with me cheering on my fellow first-year? He better not cause then that would cause some problems.

"Looks like this is mine now. Enjoy your nap." Rhiannon says, taking her opponent's dagger and patting him on the head before turning around and walking confidently back to our group. Violet and me laugh, sharing a look.

"Not sure why you're laughing, Sorrengail." The annoying voice of Jack Barlowe says, making his way over to our group.

"Fuck off, Barlowe." Violet says, sticking up the middle finger.

"I honestly hope you win today's challenge." His eyes dance with an enjoyment that makes me queasy. "It would be a shame for someone else to kill you before I get the chance. But I wouldn't be surprised. Violets are such delicate...fragile things, you know."

"Why don't you go worry about your own fucking self, Barlowe." I snap, making him bring that cool gaze to me.

"When are you going to realize that Sorrengail is a liability to the wing, Mairi?" Jack looks down at me and I narrow my eyes.

"The only liability I see is the one standing in front of me." I spit out. Jack scowls.

"One day your going to regret everything you've said to me, Mairi." Jack responds.