ARES:Gods of War

By Johnnieboy11

Mankind's Greatest Hero has finished his mission once more. Saving Earth from the Didact and his weapon of ma... More

Prologue:Drop
The Ark
Home, Weird Home
The Scouts
The Squad Part 1:Tactical Announcement
The Squad Part 2:Syuen
War Stories
Hunting Ground
Hunter and Hunted
Codename:Chatterbox
Memories Broken
On The Move
The Devil's Toys
Reunion
Snowy Landscapes
Safe or Sorry
Inherit
Avalanche
Ice Encounters
Fighting Forward
Keyes
Gear Fear
Immovable Object
The Eagle and Snow White
Rise of Evil Part 1
Rise of Evil Part 2
Recommissioned Part 1
Recommissioned Part 2
Homebound
Call To Arms
Readiness Check
Shifty Tide
The Party Part 1:End of the Beginning
The Party Part 2:Spring's End
Queen for a Day, Punished for Eternity
Peace to the Fallen
Long Night
Contact Part 1
Waking Noble
Night's Terror
The New Guy
And They Called Them Goddess
Break
James May Was Right
Kilo
Only in Death

Absolute

533 21 3
By Johnnieboy11

Cortana hummed to herself, peering through the Ark's network as she did so. She'd left several backdoors into their systems the deeper she got into the Ark's Central Net, not oblivious to the implications of scouring such a place while still out on the surface. In truth, Cortana had set up a lot more than just a link. Parts of her were within the network, useful for when she needed to conceal her tracks, with more and more smaller copies being created to verify certain systems.

She had, however, detected two other Artificial Intelligences within the Ark's systems. She had felt their presences, but one was solely locked to a certain part of the Ark she had not focused too much on yet:The Simulations Room. Basically a training AO for most Commanders and Nikkes to safely hone their skills. She hummed and made a mental note to tell John about it when they were all back in the general vicinity of the Ark.

Before that, however, she wondered to herself if she should be so bold as to 'say hello' to the other AI. This other AI had her tendrils in every single system on the Ark, save for the Sim Room. She wondered if the two AIs knew of each-other, but chose not to ponder it too much, instead focusing on the matter at hand as Commander Harriss' call for evacuation echoed in the back of her mind, through the Ark's central communication system.

The internal highway of information that was the Ark was well-travelled by data that was probably being examined by various 'weaker' Artificial Intelligences for dissidents and the likes. The Ark, now that Cortana had some time to look at it, resembled a more autocratic regime than she'd have thought possible, where, though the representatives of the Central Government are technically voted in, they were "voted in".

She sighed and decided that it'd be best to actually say high to this 'Enikk'. The Supreme AI running the Ark's courtrooms would need to be greeted. She sent a ping across the ArkNet, while keeping an eye on Syuen's little fit about the fact that the Commander and Chief had called for evacuation. Before long, she received a ping back from Enikk. She smiled to herself, overtly proud of not revealing her position. Enikk sent her a message of greeting, followed by 'Who Are You?'

"A friend in humanity's fight for survival," She replied, the message soon to be carried by whatever advanced fiber optic systems the ArkNet ran on, through a secure connection, too. Before she could blink, Cortana received the data stream that led her deeper, to the core of Enikk, the enigmatic 'ruler' of the Ark's systems. She followed the trail along, walking deeper into what now turned into a series of winding corridors, like a maze built out of data.

Stepping deeper, however, Cortana could both guide herself on what Enikk had sent and what she knew of the Ark's systems. She easily found her way to Enikk's 'chambers', the core of her AI Matrix. A small room, resembling more an opulent palace's princessly quarters than anything of a normal human visage, with a tall ceiling, a desk, a wardrobe, even a queen-sized bed with covers, all overlooking the 'skyscrapers' made of the data traffic of the Ark. Cortana swore, she didn't expect herself to walk in on a Virtual Reality 'meeting place'.

There, however, sat in a seat at the desk, completing what seemed to be the digital 'paperwork' of the Ark, was a figure with a fairly strange skin complexion:Almost grey, as if she had coated herself in ash. An intricate outfit with a black, opaque veil covering her face was what she wore, her auburn eyes only visible at first glance. The figure hummed, set the digital pen down and turned toward Cortana, standing now.

"Another AI in the Ark's systems..." Enikk voiced, "A surprisingly human-looking one. Are you, perhaps, a Missilis creation?"

"Eugh," Cortana didn't hide her disgust at that notion, scowling. She sighed, noting Enikk's confusion, before her scowl and frown relaxed back into her usual, calm smile. She told the woman, "No... I'm of a different breed, let's say. I'm not from any of the Big Three, or any really major company in the Ark. Nor am I Central Government, but that's another matter to discuss at a later date. You're Enikk, the Ark's caretaker AI, right?"

"Indeed," The AI replied, pushing a strand of her white hair over her shoulder in a fairly human action, "And you are?"

"My name is Cortana," Her UNSC counterpart replied, jovial, "I suppose I should tell you I'm with the Chief, the man that Andersen and the others hired and sent to the Outpost."

"Ah, yes, the one the CEO of Missilis demanded to be handed over," Hummed Enikk, sighing, "An alien by all intents and purposes to us. As you are..." before her auburn eyes glowed clearly visible for a single moment behind the veil. She blinked, "I can't get a read on you whatsoever. You mask your presence in the Ark's systems quite well, for someone standing right in front of me."

Cortana shrugged and smirked, "I am an infiltration AI, so..."

"Your masters must've made you a truly special case, then," Enikk hummed, which got Cortana to smile. The Ark's AI then sighed, "Apologies, but foreign systems are hard to accept for now... A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Cortana. Both yours and the Master Chief's. I know that he and Commander Alyosha Harris, CO of the Counters Squad, have recently called for evacuation from Grid V22 on the Surface."

"And I'm acutely aware a clandestine mission is grounds for judgement," The AI quipped, crossing her arms. Enikk motioned for her to take a seat nearby, which she did, materializing her own chair out of thin air as the Ark's administrative AI sat herself back at her desk, "It's that specific judgement I wanted to talk about, since I've read up on some files while I was here. I know there's precedent for Commanders receiving lenient sentences due to their missions being for the benefit of mankind, which this was."

"Oh? Then...?" Enikk quirked a brow up.

Cortana nodded, "This is about the Captains of the Counters, Lucky Strike and Wardress. Rapi, Delta and Mihara, specifically," And she brought up the two's files. She noted, "Standard punishment for Nikkes deployed into combat while risking their commanders' lives is usually a MindWipe. Something Chief and Alyosha would probably like to avoid, since Rapi seems to be quite close with our Commander, Delta's a good friend and exemplary soldier... And Mihara sort of grew on me and the Chief."

"I see..." The AI hummed, intrigued, "Go on?"

"Well," Cortana smirked, "How about you pretend that the Mind Wipe happens when we get back and you complete judgement? Syuen is technically at full fault for this outing and the risk presented upon the Commanders, not the girls. I have evidence to support that and a bunch of other illicit things our diminutive common friend has done. She'll probably throw a fit at it, too..."

"I would... Very much like to see that..." Enikk's interest seemed double-piqued now, considering the faint smile Cortana could make out behind the Veil. The AI smirked, forming the data package which contained Blabla chatlogs, some of the videos from Chief's armor and various other smaller bits of info into a spherical light in her hand and throwing it Enikk's way. The grey-skinned AI caught it mid-air, then clenched her fist around it, absorbing the data, which made her blank, "Oh, my..."

"Indeed," Cortana chuckled, "Now... As much as I'd like to take Syuen down a peg or two, I want to gather more data about her actions. You know, just so you can drop the maximum punishment available on the little runt," Which Enikk soon realized Cortana knew. She had read the files, so it was obvious she probably knew it. And Enikk wasn't sure if she should be concerned for her newfound AI Compatriot, or afraid of her.

"I see..." She replied as neutrally as she could, then noted, "So, you wish me to lie about the Mind Wipes?"

"Yes," Cortana chuckled, "The girls aren't at fault, after all. The Commanders are fine and healthy."

Enikk seemed to take a moment to ponder this, before sighing and noting, "I suppose that's fine, if it means Syuen's little escapades will be punished in the future. Keeping tabs on her work should earn you some favor with me and the rest of the Central Government. I'll see about doing as you asked for Rapi and Mihara, but I'm afraid I cannot fully promise anything..."

"That's more than fine," Cortana replied with a nod. She hummed, then said, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return to the Chief. Seems we're in trouble. Oh, wait... One more thing before I leave..."

'Trouble' wasn't exactly the word Chief would use to describe swarms of Raptures appearing from around every corner. His assault rifle chattered, the ammo counter numbers descending fast as he swept the weapon about, ripping through a platoon of smaller Rapture units that advanced. His shield flared as a volley of bullets from one of the enemies on a high-rise hit him.

Beside him, Delta fired aimed shots at the enemy flyers, drones overhead that hovered and launched missiles. Farther in the back, Signal reloaded her SMG, trembling as bullets struck the wall beside her, followed by a beam of energy that melted part of the concrete. She poked her gun through that hole, Alva particle warnings kicking into high gear as she did so, before firing a burst toward the enemy unit that'd shot at her.

Mihara pulled her back by the collar, causing her to yelp just as a second energy burst struck the same place. She poked up over her cover, cool as a cucumber as she opened fire. She gave a nod to Yuni, who ran out in-between the walls of the collapsed buildings they used as cover, hefted her Launcher and locked onto the leading spider-like creature atop one of the buildings. With a smirk and a lick of her lips, the girl launched three missiles seconds apart from each-other.

The splash of the explosives washed the massive unit and its escorts in flame and shrapnel, causing several of the most distant ones to stagger and providing opportunity for Rapi. The girl appeared from behind the wreck of a car and aimed her tube launcher, thumbed it and fired. A cluster missile split into five projectiles that struck with the force of a grenade each against the Occuluses of the surviving machines, destroying several.

Rapi then switched over her aim and peered through the sight on top of her rifle, calling out, "Layla, coordinate fire with me!" as she linked their aim via laser targeting. The other AR Nikke nodded and aimed where Rapi was aiming, before both let out bursts into a crowd of advancing small Raptures, destroying one rapture on average for each bullet. Niner set up beside Neon, meanwhile, holding the trigger down.

Neon called out, "Hahaha! Firepower, Niner! Show them yours!" as she stood up with a grin and fired an explosive slug at one of the Raptures. Niner could only smile at the reaction of her compatriot. She hefted her LMG and swept it across the Raptures' advancing ranks, bullets piercing through the Occuluses of various forms and staggering or killing them.

She looked over and noted the Chief take several rounds as he repositioned. A neutron beam struck his shield, overheating it in a burst and causing it to shatter. She gasped as she saw a Thermite aim its mag rifle at the Spartan, then stood to her feet and, under a burst of speed the likes of which she'd only seen on other Nikkes, rushed to and pushed the Spartan out of the way just as the shot snapped over their heads.

Her helmet was split in half by the shot, but it'd narrowly missed her head. With a scoff, the girl hefted her LMG up and let loose on the Thermite, watching as Yuni and Anis focused on it with grenades, too. Explosions cratered its armor, bullets pierced synth-flesh and the Spartan's magnum pistol roared, cracking open the oculus within. The machine beast collapsed, dead, its interior sputtering as sparks flew.

Niner breathed heavily and rapidly. She looked over to the Chief and asked worriedly, "You okay, Chief?!"

He nodded, "Thanks, Niner. I'm fine. You?"

"Head's ringing a bit..." She smiled awkwardly. Chief nodded and helped her to cover, then the two engaged the enemy. He turned back and wave the Commander forward, to which the man ran up, pistol in hand. The two began discussing tactics to get out of this mess, while the others continued suppressing fire against the slew of Raptures that surrounded them like it was a bad day in Mogadishu.

Cortana returned, speaking to the Chief, "Okay, I've dealt with a few possible issues that may arise when we return to the Ark. Evac should be coming up soon enough..." as she started up a counter-warfare suite against the Raptures. She spoke, "Armor integrity's at 99%... Chief, what did you do?" worry obvious in her voice. Chief was focused, meanwhile. Namely, on keeping them alive.

"Took a neutron beam," The Spartan replied, reloading his assault rifle. Cortana took a moment to blank out. She was about to ask how, before the Chief told her, "Shield took the brunt of it. As for the rest, Niner pushed me out of the way of a mag rifle shot from one of the thermites..." before turning on his locator beacon properly. The Commander had done the same thing, apparently, by throwing a flare.

He then told the Chief, "This is getting a bit hairy!"

"Evac's on the way, sir!" The Spartan replied, before making a count of all his ammunition. Annoying was that he was running low. Less annoying was the fact that the enemy would probably be dealt with rather quickly, considering the fact he was hearing the distant chops of a rotor blade vehicle approaching. Alyosha nodded, then ducked behind cover, scanning the battlefield.

The Ark-born commander tapped Rapi on the shoulder and pointed toward a building with windows tinted by dust and the quagmire of other crap in the air, then told her, "We got incoming from there!" to which the ginger-haired woman nodded. She motioned to Signal and Pinne to join her and all three opened fire, the windows shattering as the leading Rapture got turned into nothing.

Rapi gave a nod to Signal, who awkwardly, but quickly gave a thumbs up and a smile, while Pinen racked her shotgun and looked it over. She called out, "Clearing a jam! Cover me!" as she took a knee behind cover and started working to remove the spent shell that was stuck in the breech. The moment she did manage to clear it, though, she stood up and came face-to-face with a rapture. A momentary scream was muffled by the thunder-crack of her shotgun blasting apart the Rapture...

Only for the chopping blades to echo, followed by the thunderclap of a sniper shot taking out a massive Rapture that was charging headlong toward them. Rapi looked up with a gasp, stating, "An anti-materiel rifle!?" as she watched the twin-rotor chopper hovering overhead, a trail of smoke wafting up to the propellers like a sign that their allies had arrived and shot.

"Are transports even armed like that?!" Anis demanded, shouldering her rocket launcher. Chief hummed, then squinted past the glare of the sun that obscured the new arrivals. Black uniforms greeted him, way too similar to that of Rapi. Three figures descended, a petite one wielding a rocket launcher and sporting silver hair and blue eyes, a taller one, more buxom and developed and sporting a Minigun and one black-haired one with a nasty squint and the rifle that had blasted apart the Command Rapture.

Bullets rang out and missiles shot from the launchers, the area swept clear under a barrage of hellfire. Rapi smiled, then said, "It's Absolute... Elysion's best squad," as she watched the team of three sweep the area clear. Chief balled his fist and showed everyone to settle down, before looking to the Commander. Alyosha looked just as confused as him, considering the similar outfits Rapi and they wore.

Their leader, it seemed, the one with black hair and the sniper rifle slung over her shoulder, examined her nails, then thought it was respectful to look upon them, finally. Probably, anyhow. Her scowl didn't help as she glared at the captain of the Counters. She spoke, "Rapi..." despite the more happy, kind demeanors of the other two beside her. She then looked to the Commander, Chief and the Nikkes and asked, "This is the lot you left us for? The pathetic runt and..." She eyed the Chief, "Whatever toy Missilis lost?"

Chief hummed, then looked over to Rapi as the girl seemed to frown. Alyosha put a hand on her shoulder and said, "Take it this is your old squad, huh... You seem better off where ya are," only to offer her a smile. He then eyed the leader of the squad and asked, "Who are you, anyway? Rapi seems to think you're some bigshots around the place, eh? You old friends?"

"... Who am I, he dares ask..." Scoffed the leader, "Well, weakling, I am Eunhwa, leader of Absolute squad. As for 'old friends', try former squadmates... Squadmates she left."

"I..." Rapi started.

"Save it," Eunhwa replied brashly, showing her to keep quiet. She turned to the Chief, glaring at him, "And you. Missilis has been in quite the stir about your presence, even outright annoyed by the fact you aren't in their mitts," only to cross her arms and scoff at the Spartan, stating, "You don't look like much, though. Not to me. If you're some Missilis product."

"Eunhwa, maybe we should play nice," The silver-haired one voiced, but Eunhwa raised a hand to quiet her down. The young one and her older, taller compatriot seemed to look at the Chief and the others.

Chief, though, was unfazed, replying with, "Unprofessional behavior from the leader of one of the military manufacturer's most elite squads. Doesn't paint a good picture for Elysion's best, does it?" as he stepped up to her, "We called for evacuation, not for someone who likes hearing their own voice, 'captain'. You could easily get written up for such behavior," which got a snort out of Anis, a chuckle out of Rapi and Alyosha and laughs out of everyone else, even Delta and Signal. Eunhwa scowled at the Spartan, then raised a balled fist toward the Chopper, showing it to touch down.

She shot back at the Chief, poking him in the chest, "We're not done here," before turning toward the landing chopper and stepping away.

"Sorry about that," The little one with the rocket launcher pressed her index fingers together, a little shy, "Eunhwa probably didn't expect anyone to talk back to her... M-My name is Vesti. An honor to meet you, Chief, Commander Harris... And a pleasure to see you again, Rapi," before her voice cracked. She whispered, "Oh, gosh, I'm gonna cry again..." as she fanned herself with her hands.

"And I'm Emma," The blonde with the Minigun voiced, smiling, "Thank you both for defending Rapi, Chief, Commander. A pleasure."

"Likewise," Chief and the Commander spoke at the same time. The two then looked to the ladies, who motioned for them to follow along to the transport. Chief, in the meanwhile, shut off his external speakers and spoke to Cortana, "What happened in the ArkNet, exactly? I saw the Commander writing to a fairly angry Syuen about something..."

"Heh. Oh, don't worry, Chief," She chuckled, "All's well. In the meanwhile, I got us access to the Ark's various sensor suites and... Considering Linda's presence, I decided to scan around. I think you'll like what I found out there, in all honesty," before she started displaying a 100 square kilometer grid map of the area with various dots denoting various new waypoints.

... Oh, boy. If Chief's gut instinct was right?

Those were friendlies...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

442 11 5
A fan-made story that seeks to expand the main story of GODDESS OF VICTORY:NIKKE. Characters will not be entirely the same as they are in the game.
Halo: Specter By Biyote

Science Fiction

9 0 1
SPARTAN Team Specter descends on a human colony on the planet Nenvari to rescue the surviving settlers, but things quickly go awry.
46.7K 1.5K 21
Humanity has taken heavy loses against the Raptures, mechanical creatures that came out of nowhere and claimed the title as Earth's new predominant s...
64.2K 1.2K 11
What happened to master chief? War started on earth with the covenant and UNSC. An ODST is sent to find others to fight the covenant. While in space...