Healing Over Time

Von LillyBelle13

Alexandria Reynolds wasn't supposed to be burying her fiancé. She wasn't supposed to be marrying Lee Dutton... Mehr

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Twenty-Five

1.5K 50 13
Von LillyBelle13

Twenty-four weeks after Lee's death.

"Hold still," Kayce told Alex from behind.

"Would you hurry up?" Alex was annoyed.

"It'd go faster if you weren't jerking around," Kayce teased.

"I'm nervous," Alex snapped. "Don't be mean."

"I ain't the one kicking me," Kayce laughed. "Almost got it."

"Kayce!" Alex sighed.

"There," Kayce stepped back, his hands dropping from the back of Alex's neck.

"Thank you," Alex looked in the mirror.

She needed help with the clasp on her necklace and Kayce's fingers weren't nimble like hers. But he got it done, finally.

"You look pretty," Kayce told her.

"Never been to a Christmas Eve service," Alex looked at him. "Can't even remember the last time I was in a church."

"Been a while for all of us," Kayce nodded.

"What time is it?" Alex glanced at the clock.

"He'll be here," Kayce smiled.

"I know," Alex shrugged and walked over to the bed.

She sat down and pulled her black boots on, her long skirt covering the tops of them when she stood back up. Kayce leaned against the tall dresser and eyed her up and down. Alex smoothed her skirt out, even though there wasn't a wrinkle on it.

"What?" She asked Kayce.

"You're cute when you're nervous," Kayce smirked.

"You're an ass," Alex rolled her eyes and went to walk out of the bedroom.

Kayce reached out and grabbed her arm, pulling her back into his chest. Alex looked up at him while he cupped her cheeks with his palms.

"Breathe," Kayce whispered.

"I am breathing," Alex pushed him, but it wasn't hard enough to do anything. "You breathe."

"I am," Kayce laughed, pressing his lips to Alex's for a short kiss.

"What is the reason we're going to church?" Alex asked.

"Dad said he wanted to," Kayce shrugged, his hands moving into his pockets. "Figured we could indulge him."

Alex's eyes looked over Kayce's clothes. He was in a dark green button-down with dark jeans and boots. He looked good. Alex had on a red blouse tucked into her long skirt with her hair down and brushed out smoothly.

The front door opened and shut quickly, meaning only one thing.

"DAD!" Tate hollered, and Alex could hear him running up the stairs.

"Incoming," Kayce smirked at her.

Alex smiled as she looked over to see Tate pause at the door and catch them both.

"Hey, buddy," Kayce smiled while Tate ran straight for his father.

Alex stepped back at Tate and hugged Kayce tight. Kayce used one of his arms to hold Tate while he lifted him slightly.

"Merry Christmas," Tate said as Kayce put him down.

"Merry Christmas," Kayce's eyes danced to Alex, and Tate turned.

"Merry Christmas, Alex," Tate said, hugging her around her middle.

"I'm so glad you're here," Alex squeezed Tate. "Your dad won't make cookies with me, and I was hoping you and I could after church?"

"What kind of cookies?" Tate eyes Alex.

"The only kind that matters," Alex raised an eyebrow. "Chocolate chip."

"Deal," Tate nodded.

"Did you bring your stuff?" Kayce asked him.

"It's with mom," Tate said. "She wanted to talk to you."

"Where is she?" Alex asked.

"Downstairs," Tate pointed behind him.

Kayce glanced at Alex.

"I'll go," Alex offered.

"You will?" Kayce asked, surprised.

"Sure," Alex nodded, stepping around Tate. "If you hear screaming then you can come down...but I like you looking like that and don't want you to change."

"Like what?" Kayce asked.

"Happy," Alex smiled and walked out of the room.

She made her way down the stairs and over to the front door. Monica was standing there, waiting, as Alex approached her. Alex could tell Monica was disappointed when her eyes saw Alex instead of Kayce.

"Kayce's helping Tate upstairs," Alex pointed over her shoulder. "But I was told you had Tate's things?"

"Yeah," Monica held out Tate's bag.

"Thanks," Alex took it and waited for Monica to say something.

"Kayce will need to bring Tate back tomorrow afternoon," Monica told her.

"He will," Alex nodded. "Um...thank you for letting us have Tate tonight."

Monica's eyes narrowed.

"I'm letting Kayce have his son," She said.

"Right," Alex laughed. "I'm not part of this."

"No, you aren't," Monica said.

"Okay," Alex nodded. "Anything else?"

"I'd like to speak to Kayce," Monica said.

"He's with Tate," Alex held her ground.

"He can come speak to me," Monica said.

Footsteps were heard and John appeared from the living room.

"Still here?" John looked at Monica. "There a problem?"

"I need to speak with Kayce," Monica said again.

"I'll relay the message," John said. "I'm going to let him have as much time with his son as he can though starting now."

Monica looked between the two of them.

"I'm taking a job at the University of Montana...Missoula campus," Monica sighed. "Part-time."

Alex's eyes widened.

"Good school," John nodded.

"I'll be there every other week," Monica said.

"Okay," John nodded. "That's good, Monica. Good for you."

Monica nodded, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Do we need to watch Tate while you're there?" Alex asked and she prayed her voice was kind.

Monica looked over at her.

"Sorry," Alex blinked. "Does Kayce need to watch Tate while you're up there?"

"Yeah," Monica nodded. "Like I said...every other week or so."

"I'm sure we can do that," John nodded.

"Thank you," Monica looked at him.

Monica glanced at Alex before turning around and walking out the front door. Alex felt the cool wind hit her face right before the door shut.

"Bitch," Alex muttered, not caring John was standing next to her.

A few seconds later Kayce was walking down the stairs, Tate hot on his trail.

"Heard the door," Kayce looked between Alex and his father.

"Ready?" John asked.

Tate followed his grandfather out the front door while Alex hung back with Kayce. He looked her over, seeming to analyze if something happened or not.

"She's got a teaching job in Missoula," Alex told him. "You get Tate every other week now."

"What?" Kayce was shocked.

"That's what she said," Alex frowned. "You get to watch him. It only works if you are here to be with Tate...you."

"Why are you saying you so much?" Kayce quirked his eyebrow at Alex.

"Because according to your ex, you're the only one capable of watching Tate," Alex sighed, not having the strength to be angry at Kayce anymore.

Kayce reached out and rubbed Alex's arm.

"Even she knows that ain't true," Kayce smiled. "She's just pushing you."

"Tell her to stop," Alex turned. "Or I'll push back."

"Don't doubt it, baby," Kayce followed Alex out as they got into the truck with John and Tate.

The service was beautiful.

Alex was seated between Tate and Kayce, John on the other side of Tate with Beth and Rip on the other side of John. The church was small, wooden pews lined the sides with stained glass windows framing the altar. Red poinsettias lined the wooden altar.

When it came time to sing, Silent Night was the song of choice after communion. Alex watched them dim the lights as candles were passed around to each person there. They all lit each other's candles and then began to sing.

Alex felt herself get emotional as she listened to the voices around her. She took a shaky breath and felt Kayce place his arm around her shoulders. Alex looked over at him. Kayce was mouthing the words, but not singing as he looked at Alex, silently asking if she were okay.

Alex placed her hand on Kayce's thigh and looked forward again, this time barely singing the words. As the song ended, Alex felt Kayce press his lips to her temple softly.

After the service, they all piled out of the church and saw it was snowing outside. Tate ran around laughing as John turned on the headlights to see better. Alex snuggled into Kayce's side as they all walked over to the trucks.

"Thank you for coming," John told Beth.

"Merry Christmas, Daddy," Beth kissed his cheek before walking off with Rip to his truck.

"Tate!" Kayce called and Tate came over.

The drive back was quiet, tiredness seeping into each of them. About an hour later, Alex found herself washing her face, brushing her teeth, and walking out of the bathroom. Kayce came in, having put Tate to bed.

"He'll be up at six, I'm sure," Kayce kicked his boots off.

"That's what makes Christmas though," Alex smiled at him. "Kids and their belief in something pure."

"I saw you at the service," Kayce reached up and cupped Alex's cheek. "You okay?"

"Sure," Alex nodded. "It just was...emotional."

"Mmmm," Kayce nodded.

"I have to get in bed or I'm gonna pass out right here," Alex giggled.

"You do that but," Kayce walked over to his jacket and fished around in the pockets. "I have something for you."

"For me?" Alex looked at him as she sat down on the bed. "Kayce."

"It's not a gift," Kayce shook his head.

"You're handing me a tiny box," Alex said as Kayce placed the box in her hand. "If it's not a gift, then what is it?"

"I don't know," Kayce said softly. "Maybe it's a promise?"

"Kayce..." Alex's eyes got big.

"Not that," Kayce rolled his eyes.

"Then what?" Alex still hadn't opened it.

"Would you just open it?" Kayce laughed.

Alex opened the box with her other hand.

It was a simple, gold band. Nothing more. 

Alex picked up the band with her fingers and looked at it. Looking closer, Alex could see it wasn't manufactured. There were little dents in the band, some tarnish in one spot, almost as if...

"Kayce?" Alex asked, looking at him.

It was my mom's," Kayce cleared his throat. "Just a ring she wore on her right hand...always had it on, even when she was working."

Alex listened to Kayce, holding her breath.

"It's really all I have of her," Kayce shrugged. "Not that there was much she kept...but it does me no good to just keep it in a box, and when I look at you now..."

Kayce trailed off, staring at Alex.

"Please don't think this means something more than just me wanting you to wear it," Kayce told her. "The promise I said was more of me promising to include you now, in this...with me."

"What's.." Alex swallowed. "What's this?"

"Life?" Kayce shrugged. "Doing this life with me?"

"Sounds awful like something else," Alex whispered.

"Not today," Kayce shook his head and then smiled. "Maybe one day, but you can breathe now."

"Not funny," Alex gently pushed his shoulder.

She looked at the ring again and moved to place it on her right hand, ring finger. It fit like a glove, like it was made for Alex. She got an overwhelming sensation of Evelyn wearing this ring and now Alex had it on her finger. Did she deserve this ring?

"Perfect," Kayce's voice made her look up. "Like it was meant to be."

"I d-don't know what to say," Alex whispered. "Thank you...I've uh, never had something like this given to me."

She stood up, reaching with her hands to hold Kayce's face, bringing his lips down to hers. Alex kissed him fully, savoring the moment. She wasn't a girl who needed things to feel something. But this ring was the first thing Alex felt loved with. Kayce deepened the kiss, his arms wrapping around Alex's body. His hand fisted her shirt as his lips molded against hers.

Kayce laid Alex back down on the bed, crawling over her. His knee slipped off the edge though, making them both almost fall. Alex giggled into Kayce's shoulder as he maneuvered them to be better stationary.

"I love you," Alex smiled through her giggles.

"I love you," Kayce leaned in closer. "Merry Christmas."

**

"Told you," Kayce mumbled into Alex's neck as Tate banged on their door, yelling that it was Christmas and time to get up.

Alex sighed, opening her eyes, seeing it was a little after seven. She rolled over, into Kayce's chest and snaked her arms around him. His hand rubbed up and down her back.

"You said six," Alex yawned.

"Details," Kayce pressed a kiss to Alex's lips before sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

"He's gonna come back," Alex said lazily, rolling onto her back and stretching her arms out.

"Probably," Kayce nodded, shaking his hair as he stood up from the bed.

Alex blatantly admired Kayce as he walked over into the bathroom. She waited until she heard the shower before sitting up. After waking up some more, Alex walked over and put on some clothes to head downstairs. She leaned into the bathroom before leaving.

"Headed down to start coffee," Alex called out.

"I love you," Kayce looked over his shoulder.

"Mmhmm," Alex laughed as she walked out.

She found Tate on the couch, waiting patiently. He looked up excited though as Alex walked in.

"Wait a bit, buddy," Alex smiled. "At least for your dad and grandpa to get down here."

"They take forever," Tate sighed.

"Come make coffee with me," Alex walked into the kitchen with Tate on her tail.

"Grandpa said I can't have coffee cause I'll be short," Tate told her.

"You might," Alex shrugged, starting the machine up. "How about pancakes instead?"

"With chocolate chips?" Tate wiggles his eyebrows at Alex, and she was immediately reminded of Kayce.

"Only because it's Christmas," Alex sighed and walked over ot the pantry.

Thanks to Gator, she was able to find all that she needed and pulled out the ingredients. While she made herself a cup of coffee, Kayce walked in. Tate was stirring the batter in a large bowl.

"Here I thought he'd be through all the gifts," Kayce kissed Tate's head.

"We're making pancakes first," Alex took her coffee mug and held it out for Kayce to have instead.

"Thank you," Kayce pressed a kiss to Alex's cheeks.

"What now?" Tate asked.

"Let's heat up the stove," Alex walked around Kayce and turned on the appliance. "Then we'll make some for everyone to have, how about that?"

"I got the chocolate chips!" Tate held up the bag.

"Can't forget those," Alex laughed and tested the pan. "Okay, after I pour, let them sit for a minute before you sprinkle on the chips...then we'll flip 'em."

"Okay," Tate stared as Alex poured the batter into round pancakes and waited a few seconds before looking up at her.

"Alright," Alex nodded softly.

Tate took a handful and sprinkled the chocolate chips into the batter. After another minute, Alex flipped the pancake over to reveal a golden-brown finish.

"Looks good to me," Alex said, and Tate nodded. "Grab a plate we can put them all on."

Kayce handed Tate a plate to help as he watched on from where he was leaning against the island. John walked in a few minutes later and looked around.

"Did I miss something?" He asked.

"Making breakfast," Alex looked over her shoulder at the man.

"Pancakes," Tate smiled.

"There's coffee," Kayce smirked as John blinked a few times before walking over to the machine.

John poured himself a cup and looked over at Alex and Tate again. His eyes then danced to Kayce who was back to watching the two finish up the pancakes. Kayce's eyes looked over to his father.

"Pancakes are ready," Alex said, turning off the stove.

"Can't seem to remember a better Christmas morning," John said, but was still looking at Kayce. "In a long time at least."

"Can we eat in the living room by the tree, Grandpa?" Tate asked John.

"No other place I think," John nodded.

Alex handed Kayce the plate of pancakes.

"Carry these, would you?" Alex smiled and then picked up some syrup and then walked over to the fridge for the whipped cream.

They all made their way into the living room, Alex passing out pancakes on paper plates. She settled back, next to Kayce and sighed.

"Here," Kayce handed her a coffee he had made before they sat down.

"Bless you," Alex smiled, taking a sip and letting the warm liquid help wake her up more.

"Dad? Can I open some now?" Tate asked, his mouth full of pancakes.

"Sure," Kayce nodded, rolling his eyes.

For the next hour, the three adults watching Tate open each of his gifts. All in all, he got a new riffle from John, a new coat and boots from Kayce, and a Lego set and new books from Alex. She also got him a free trip to the Museum of the Rockies for Tate to "use" whenever he wanted to and Alex would take him.

"This is awesome," Tate looked at the ticket Alex had printed off for something to open.

She smiled as Kayce reached over and patted her side lovingly. She brought the cup up to her lips and sighed contently. Tate went to go get something to drink as John chuckled.

"I don't think I remember that energy," John said.

"It's something," Kayce nodded.

"Had to do a double take with that this morning," John looked at Alex.

"What?" Alex asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

"But it was on the wrong finger," John said.

Alex paused, her eyes shifting down to her right hand where the ring Kayce gave her still sat. She felt Kayce's fingers dig into her thigh as well, but he didn't say anything. John stood up and smiled.

"Merry Christmas, Alex," He said as he walked over, into the kitchen to help Tate.

Kayce looked over at Alex.

"Still breathing?" He asked, a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"Barely," Alex sighed, leaned against him more.

She saw Kayce start to say something but then stop himself.

"What?" Alex asked him.

"It can wait," Kayce shook his head.

"Why start now?" Alex laughed.

"Uh...did Lee get you a ring?" Kayce asked and Alex saw a hint of pink across his cheeks.

Alex leaned back a few inches from Kayce.

"How long have you been wanting to ask me that?" Alex gave Kayce a small smile.

"Longer than what's healthy probably," Kayce sighed.

"He didn't," Alex said.

"What?" Kayce grunted.

"He didn't give me a ring," Alex said softly.

Kayce stared at her for a few moments.

"I didn't really want one from him, if we're being honest," Alex said. "Just...I don't know, it didn't feel right."

"You didn't want one?" Kayce said and Alex could see a slight panic in his eyes.

"I uh, it wasn't that I didn't want one," Alex said. "I just didn't want one from Lee. If that makes sense?"

"Not really," Kayce shook his head.

"Okay," Alex leaned forward and placed her cup on the table before turning to face Kayce more, her knees both leaning against his lap now. "I didn't want a ring from Lee because I didn't feel like I was really marrying him. It wasn't like that with us I guess."

Alex thought for a moment about Lee. She had spent one Christmas with him, but it was in the foreman's cabin, and it was just the two of them. By ten o'clock he was out the door working with the wranglers.

"It wasn't a typically marriage," Alex shook her head. "We were...we were partners, I guess. We were more together because we could be instead of wanting to be. I cared for Lee, don't get me wrong. I loved him too but like I've told you, I wasn't in love with him. I wasn't marrying him because I was in love with him. I was marrying him because...honestly? It looked like we were the only two left for each other to have anyone."

Kayce took in her words. Alex felt a little exposed, but she leaned more on Kayce now to make sure he understood her completely. His eyes fell to the ring on Alex's finger now.

"You deserve a ring, Alex," Kayce said with a rough voice.

Alex felt tingles race up and down her spine.

"I do," Alex nodded. "But from someone who is in love with me."

"Right," Kayce smiled at her.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

4.9K 132 8
(oc x dutton)
32K 704 23
she spent her whole life being told she was the reason her and her siblings grew up without a mother, therefore she grew up alone. She was much young...
134K 3.2K 51
Oakley Dobson hasn't heard from Kayce Dutton since that phone call over a decade ago which changed her whole world instantly. Now she's back at Yello...
3.2K 98 8
Prequel to My love, which explains how you first met John Dutton (and his family).