Tellers of Lies [UNEDITED]

By _abhipreeti_

|| 6x FEATURED || FEATURED on @Romance @APIRomance @AstaniaCommunity @WackyWriters (2x) @Project_Athena πŸ† W... More

|| Preface ||
|| Wattpad Features, Accolades & More ||
|| Playlist ||
|| Epigraph ||
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48

Chapter 17

44 7 12
By _abhipreeti_

Calix

Carlos.

Fucking Carlos.

This is the second time that I am being compelled to curse. If His Majesty hears about it, he will probably strip me off my title and throw me out of Nirvana.

What shall I do, anyway? It is my regretful failure that I am unable to present Carlos' true nature in front of Queen Veronica and King Richard. Not that anything would change even after that, since His Majesty only has eyes for Carlos, with being 'pure-blooded' and all.

My fists clench when I find Carlos treating Isha. I am thankful for his help, but he isn't trustworthy.

After attending to the matter that Killian receives his rightful punishment, I rushed to here, only to find Dr Georgia nowhere and Isha chatting freely with Carlos.

Seeing the two, so close together, does something unexplainable to my body. For example, my heart hurts as if I am being pricked by a thousand thorns. My stomach quite literally feels like dropping to my feet. As for my blood, it splashes fiercely throughout my blood vessels. The feeling is torturous, and I am actually considering having a full body check-up. My health has been acting up for a few days, yet Dr Georgia said a few days before, that nothing was wrong and I was perfectly healthy, when I complained about my chest being hollow.

"I'll definitely ask my secretary if it is possible for me to exchange numbers with you, Miss Sen. I would like to keep seeing you, and have your intriguing company around."

I hear fire alarms blazing in my ears while my hands curl more into fists.

Before I can stop myself, I blurt out something. Something irrational. Something that the Calix of one month ago wouldn't have bothered to say.

"You appear to be quite interested in my girlfriend, lately. How peculiar. Isn't it, Carlos?"

Carlos doesn't turn back around immediately. Instead, Isha's eyes flicker to mine, and I soften my stiff features a bit. Seeing how she seems to appear better than before, I smile in relief. Isha returns her gorgeous smile.

"Welcome, brother." Venom drips down his tone, as Carlos stands up and turns around to stare at me with that complacent grin of his.

"Fancy seeing you here, Carlos," I retort dryly, walking further towards him. His relaxed demeanour is what bothers me all the damn time.

"I could say the same to you," Carlos smiles, although his grin doesn't reach his eyes.

We are now standing face to face, our fierce eyes holding tales of years of hatred for one another, reflecting our personalities.

I might have trusted Carlos in our childhood, but not anymore. He has something up his sleeve. He always has. And Carlos' unusual display of affection towards Isha doesn't sit right with me. It is not the first time that he has used extreme means of flattery to win the hearts and sympathy of people around him. But with Isha, his approach seems different. In the beginning, he tried to get closer to her, using the same tricks he always uses on girls, who are fond of him. I wonder if he feels deeply humiliated at Isha's lack of interest in giving in to Carlos' playful intentions. Eventually, a thought strikes me. A ridiculous, childish thought but a vile one anyway.

Carlos, being the sly, cunning person he has always been, must have sensed that I had realized something. His widening grin gives away the impression.

"Is something wrong, Calix?" Carlos tilts his head in false innocence and pity. "Should I provide treatment to you, as well?"

"No," I answer, curt and straight, "But I'd like you to maintain some fair distance with Isha." I step closer to make the words audible only for my dear brother to hear.

"And what if I disagree to stay away from Isha?"

"Don't say her name." For some reason, hearing Carlos utter Isha's name with an impish touch to it, gives birth to a foreboding fear.

Carlos is the second person after His Majesty who can ignite the feeling of fear inside me, although it's quite nuance.

"Isha. Isha. Isha. There you go." Carlos' smirk turns grim. "You do not get to order your future king, Calix. Stop pretending as if Isha is truly your girlfriend."

That damn title of Crown Prince has tied me to such a position that I cannot even hold the upper power, inspite of being the first prince of Syncitia. But for now, I need to discover his ultimate intentions towards Isha.

As far as I know, Carlos is not a pathetic abuser like Killian, who exerts physical power and violence on others for absolutely no reason. However, I am certain that something else is going on in that brain of my brother. He likes to see me lose to him, and be tormented.

I have a feeling that he is planning to use Isha, to perturb me. Now the question arises, why. Like Carlos has mentioned earlier, Isha and I are not even in a real relationship.

That doesn't mean that I do not care.

I sigh, rubbing my palm on my face. There is no way I can reveal that there is a part inside me which cares for the woman present here.

"Whatever you are planning to do," I deeply exhale, "Keep Isha out of it."

Carlos hums, as if deep in thought, before replying, "We'll see."

"What are you two talking about?" Isha's voice brings both of us back from our intense conversation.

Isha, who has been sitting all this time and simply observing us without trying to interrupt, must have sensed the tension between me and my brother.

Carlos' expression changes almost immediately when he glances at Isha with a warm smile. "Nothing much, Isha."

"I told you to call me, Miss Sen," Isha grumbles, making me relieved seeing how she is not someone to be easily swayed by sweet words and affectionate gestures.

"Oh come on, I need a friend except for these arrogant aristocrats too, you know."

"Whatever." Isha does roll her eyes but, that doesn't stop a tiny smile from appearing at the corner of her lips.

My heart clenches and the strong desire to remove Carlos from this room, so that Isha can focus solely on me, increases further.

For conversational purposes, of course.

"Well," Carlos glances at his wristwatch, "I should get going now. I hope to see you around soon, Isha."

"I do not hope the same, unfortunately, Your Royal Highness." Isha emphasizes especially on the title, making Carlos laugh out louder. With fidgeting fingers, she proceeds to say, "Thank you...for your help today."

I should have arrived sooner. I should have sped up to reach Dr Georgia's chamber. I should have...

I should have what. I do not know. But what I do know is that, I do not feel well seeing Isha being so carefree around Carlos. Of course, Miss Sen is at rightful liberty to go anywhere and form friendships with whomever she wants to, but then, why does my chest feel heavy seeing Isha so deliberately avoiding my eyes and being so free-spirited with my brother?

Carlos turns away from Isha to leave the chamber. But before passing by my figure, he places a hand on my shoulder, and leans close to my ear with that sickeningly sweet voice. "Your growing affections for Isha, is a little too expressive that it's almost blinding my eyes. Make sure to keep your guard up all the time.

"Else, someone might snatch her away, from right under your nose."

Carlos' words make no sense. He always had a knack for twisting simple things.

Yet, he became successful in stirring my heart.

"I'm sorry."

All thoughts shatter in an instant when the timid voice of Isha drops me back to reality. Her gaze is full of regret for some unknown reason.

"Why are you apologizing?" I ask, frowning.

Isha hesitates, stares at me ruefully, and eventually answers. "For my behaviour, not long ago, Your Royal Highness."

"Calix."

"What?" she asks, not understanding my allusion.

"Calix." I repeat, my voice firm, and gaze not leaving hers, "Call me Calix, just how you used to, Isha."

"Oh," Isha fumbles, "Well alright...Calix."

I sigh. That was awkward. At least we are back to a first name basis. But still, Isha not being her usual blithe self around me, bothers me. Too much for my liking.

"Isha," I continue momentarily, "You did nothing wrong. I understand where you are coming from. You were merely overwhelmed with all jumbled up emotions."

"That I was." Isha mumbles, "But still, I hope you don't have any hard feelings toward me, Calix."

"I don't."

"Good to know." The gorgeous smile of Isha returns to her face, making me subconsciously beam as well.

"Also, thank you."

"For what?" I question, as I walk forward to take a seat beside Isha, while motioning her to do so as well.

"Carlos told me that..." a deep sigh leaves Isha, "That you have fired Killian, for whatever reason."

I don't hesitate to answer, despite noticing the surprised look on Isha. "He has broken Nirvana's Royal Code of Conduct by exerting physical force upon another person, within the palace grounds. He ought to be terminated from his position."

Moreover, he hurt you. The words get stuck in my throat.

For some reason, I keep the information of me blacklisting Killian from getting a job anywhere in Syncitia, to myself.

"Right." Isha nods but doesn't question further. She probably thinks I learnt about the assault through CCTV Surveillance Cameras.

I do not inquire either about Killian or how his relationship was with Isha. It is not my place to have her answer such sensitive and personal questions and if, she feels comfortable in the future, she will reveal it to me by herself. Not that I think that is going to ever happen because, it is all but a fake relationship, at the end of the day.

"Let us stop talking about him, and allow me to apologize to you." Isha doesn't budge from my hold, when I take her injured hands in my palms, particularly to inspect them. "I am sorry for spoiling our first date."

"And I am sorry for overreacting. It was childish of me."

"Expected, not surprised." I snort at the offended expression of Isha.

"Also," I continue, "I do not like supernatural stuff."

"But Carlos said—"

"He lied." My fists automatically clench at the mention of my evil brother. "He wanted to make our first date miserable, for whatever reason."

"I should've known," Isha's brow creases, "He always has this mischievousness to him."

"Glad you noticed. Not many do."

Another moment of silence prevails. As the silent ambience grows heavier, our hands in touch feel more intense. Warmer.

"So..." Isha trails off, awkwardly removing her hands from mine and immediately after, I already feel the emptiness, "Should we continue the bet?"

"Absolutely." I clench my eyes shut. That came out louder than I intended it to be. Maintaining my poised posture, I answer once again, "Yes."

My face grows redder at Isha's attempt to stifle her laughter.

I clear my throat. "Meet me tomorrow evening at the third hall from right, in the fourth floor, around seven."

"Why?"

"Well." I literally want the Earth to swallow me up due to the profuse blushing. "Our second date will be held there."

"Oh...well, sure." Now I chuckle, seeing Isha's taken aback flustered state.

"Then I," Isha stands up abruptly, "I should be going."

"Let me see you out. The car is waiting outside." With that being said, I make space for Isha to walk before me. For a moment, however, she freezes seeing me carry her bag.

"Oh, I'll handle that."

"Please allow me," I offer her an assuring glance and perhaps, out of habit, interlace our fingers.

I might be wrong, but I do hear Isha sucking in a breath.

"Ah, I almost forgot," I say after a while, remembering a certain something from the morning. "What event were your students talking about?"

"Nothing big. Just a small literary event that I will be hosting sometime later. The date hasn't been fixed or confirmed yet."

"And you require a date, I am assuming?"

"Yeah, but don't bother. I will ask someone—"

"Isha."

The woman beside me, gazes at my frigid yet calm voice.

"You do not need anyone else as your date, for I will fulfil my rightful duties as your boyfriend."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 7.6K 10
❝And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When everything's made to be broken I just want you to know...
14.9K 920 39
β€’ ═══ೋ❀❀ೋೋ❀❀ೋ═══ β€’ ❝You're our light in the dark.❞ β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜…β˜… don't forget to vote, comment & follow All rights reserved. Copyright Β© 2021 sixofbrekker
360K 21.7K 35
β†’ SPIN OFF TO FLIRTLINE BLING When Isaac accidentally calls a local pizzeria, he meets Jenny, a sarcastic and witty girl, as perfect for him as you c...
17.5K 1.3K 48
A workaholic scientist and a soldier off-duty join forces together to battle against their common enemy, vacation, while keeping their growing feelin...