Healing Over Time

By LillyBelle13

Alexandria Reynolds wasn't supposed to be burying her fiancé. She wasn't supposed to be marrying Lee Dutton... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Sixteen

1.3K 44 7
By LillyBelle13

Fifteen weeks after Lee's death.

"Alex!" Tate called out, running up to where she had just gotten out of her car.

Tate had finally gotten to come be with them for a day and Alex found herself really taking to the little boy. He was wild, and had a temper, but was clever and fun to have around. He brought life back into this place, something Alex hadn't seen for a long time.

Last week, when Kayce tried to pick up Tate, Monica got into a verbal fight with Kayce. It led to Tate staying with her another week. This time, John went with Kayce early this morning and picked Tate up. Alex had actually passed them on the road into the ranch when she was leaving.

"Hey," Alex smiled. "How was your day?"

"Good," Tate nodded. "How was yours?"

The pair started to walk into the main lodge. Alex held the door open for Tate to go in first, shutting it behind her and taking off her coat.

"Long," Alex smiled. "But good."

"What did you do?" Tate asked, curiosity being full-blown in the kid.

"Well," Alex hung her coat up. "I had to take some things I bought back because they didn't fit me anymore...I then ran by the hospital and did some paperwork...and then I went by Parker Elementary."

"Why'd you go there?" Tate followed Alex into the living room.

"Because I applied for a job there," Alex smiled at Tate.

"Are you gonna be a teacher?" Tate asked as John and Kayce walked into the room.

"Teacher?" Kayce looked at Alex.

Alex laughed.

"No, Tate," She sat down on one of the couches. "But I could be the school nurse."

"You applied to be a school nurse?" John asked as he went over to pour a few drinks for them. "They pay worse than the hospital."

"But they might let me actually work," Alex sighed.

"You know, there's a place that will let you start tomorrow," John walked over and held out a glass to Alex.

Alex looked up at John for a few seconds before grabbing the glass from him. Kayce sat down next to Alex but kept a decent distance.

"Would there even be enough here for me to do?" Alex asked John, glancing at Kayce.

"There are forty people here at any given time," John poured two more drinks and walked back over, handing one to Kayce. "I'm sure there would be plenty for you to do here."

Alex sighed, looking down at her drink.

"I'd work here," Tate told her with a smile.

"You would?" Alex asked.

"I'd live here every day if I could!" Tate nodded, sitting down right next to Alex.

Alex smiled at Tate, leaning back against the couch and bringing her whisket up to her lips. She felt Kayce place his arm on the back of the couch. It looked innocent, but the feeling of his fingers brushing against her hair made Alex look over at Kayce.

"Think about it," John said, clearing his throat. "I pay a hell of a lot more than a school."

"What's for supper?" Tate asked Kayce.

"Gator's off for the night," John answered. "Tate...let's go down and see what the wranglers are making?"

John stood up as Tate hopped off the couch.

"We'll bring back a bowl for you two," John looked at Alex and Kayce while he followed Tate out.

When the door shut, Alex looked at Kayce to find he was already staring at her with a small smile on his face.

"What?" Alex felt her own lips turn upwards.

"It'd be nice if you worked here," Kayce told her.

"Would it?" Alex asked.

"I think so," Kayce shrugged.

"I just need a job," Alex sighed, setting her glass on the table next to her. "Though it would be nice to not have to get new scrubs."

"New ones?" Kayce looked at her.

"Yeah, I turned in my old ones this morning," Alex nodded. "Didn't fit anymore."

"Alex..." Kayce trailed off.

"What?" Alex looked over at him.

Kayce had a frown on his face. He looked like he was having an internal battle inside his thoughts right now too.

"What?" Alex repeated.

"Uh..." Kayce sighed. "You've uh...lost some weight, Alex."

Alex blinked a few times slowly, looking at Kayce. She looked down at her hands for a second before biting her lip.

"I know," Alex whispered.

"M'not saying you look...bad, not at all," Kayce scooted closer to her on the couch. "The opposite, actually."

Alex tucked some of her hair behind her ear. She took a deep breath and looked forward.

"Alex," Kayce placed his hand on her thigh.

Alex turned her head and looked at Kayce.

"I'm eating more," Alex told him.

"I know," Kayce nodded. "I've been watching you...you're working and that's what matters...I didn't mean to upset you, I just could tell and I only said it because-"

"You care," Alex answered for him.

"Yeah," Kayce nodded, surprised. "I care about you."

Alex nodded slowly. Her eyes looked down to where Kayce's hand was still on her thigh. Alex placed her hand over Kayce's, leaned in, and kissed him slowly. It was a borderline lazy kiss, Alex taking a few seconds before she pulled back from him.

"How was your day with Tate?" Alex asked Kayce, leaning back against the couch, her head resting on Kayce's arm.

Kayce smiled.

"Good," Kayce told her. "Would you be up for a ride tomorrow with us?"

"It's freezing, Kayce," Alex smirked.

"I'll keep you warm," Kayce leaned his lips down to Alex's.

Alex reached up and fisted Kayce's button up where a few buttons were undone. His hand on her thigh rubbed a few inches higher. Their kiss ended with both of them smiling.

"What else did you do today?" Kayce asked her as he relaxed against the couch more.

Alex told him about her day, feeling a lightness about having someone ask her a simple, but meaningful question. The door to the back opened up, and John and Tate walked in with baskets. Alex tried to lean away from Kayce but there was nowhere for her to go. Tate was oblivious as he marched straight into the dining room. John paused as he looked at the two on the couch.

"You two realize you're playing with fire?" John asked his eyes on Kayce.

Alex felt her stomach drop. What did he mean by that?

"Ain't a fire," Kayce shook his head, his arm still around Alex.

John's eyes looked to Alex.

"You sure about that?" John asked her.

"Let me help you," Alex stood up and walked over to John, grabbing the basket from his hands and heading into the dining room after Tate.

She didn't want to be in that room any longer.

**

Alex was brushing her hair out when a light tap sounded at her door. She walked over and looked out to see Tate standing at her bedroom door.

"Hey, buddy?" Alex smiled.

"Hey..." Tate swayed back and forth. "I uh...was gonna read a book before bed."

"...alright?" Alex kept the smile on her face even though she was a bit confused.

"Wanna read it with me?" Tate asked and she could tell he was a bit nervous now.

Alex's smile brightened.

"I would love to," She walked over to Tate and held out her hand for him to take. "Which one are we gonna read?"

Alex and Tate got into the bed he'd be sleeping in. Tate picked out a book about horses as he leaned against Alex and started to read from the pages. He was a bit slow at sounding the big words out, but the kid did a good job. Movement caught Alex's eye.

Kayce stepped inside, leaning against the frame as he watched Tate and Alex. He had a content smile on his face as his eyes locked with Alex's light ones. She smiled at him as she looked back down at where Tate was struggling with another word. They finished the book in another ten minutes.

"Bedtime, Tate," Kayce said, walking over.

Alex took the book from Tate, shut it, and stood off the bed to place it back on the bookshelf. When she looked back, Kayce kissed Tate's head before pulling his blanket up higher on his chest.

"What do you say to Alex?" Kayce asked Tate.

"Thanks," Tate smiled at Alex.

"Thank you," Alex laughed. "Might have to do it again tomorrow night."

"Okay!" Tate grinned.

"Night, buddy," Kayce led Alex out of the room, shutting Tate's door behind him softly.

Alex gave Kayce a smile, running her hand through her hair as she walked toward her room. She knew Kayce was following her without having to turn around. He followed her back into her bathroom, Alex finally looking over her shoulder with a smirk.

"May I help you?" Alex asked as she grabbed her hair tie.

"I liked you reading with Tate," Kayce leaned against the doorframe.

"Me too," Alex finished up a loose braid in her long hair, tying it off and leaving it over her shoulder.

She had already gotten ready for bed before Tate walked in and got her. Alex walked over to where Kayce was standing and smiled up at him.

"Come sleep with me," Kayce whispered, even though no one was near them.

"I told you," Alex rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "I don't want Tate walking in and seeing something he shouldn't."

"What exactly are you planning on doing in my bed?" Kayce joked with her.

"Stop," Alex pushed against his chest.

"You said it yourself," Kayce nodded. "They're all gonna find out eventually."

"I don't want Tate to find out by walking in on me in your bed," Alex sighed. "Your dad already thinks we're playing with fire."

"Yeah," Kayce's jaw tensed slightly. "He can fuck off."

"Careful," Alex walked around Kayce. "That might just be my future employer you're telling to fuck off."

Kayce watched Alex walk over to her bed and pull down the blankets. She glanced at her as she fluffed out her pillows.

"Why do you care so much?" Kayce asked her.

He wasn't rude, or mad...simply curious.

"Because I don't want it to hurt your custody stuff with Tate," Alex told him. "I don't want to be used against you."

"My Dad wouldn't use you against me in that," Kayce shook his head. "Tate doesn't even know what's going on so he won't use it."

"Monica would," Alex pointed out.

"But she's not here and doesn't run the risk of walking in on you in my bed," Kayce said. "Not that it would matter who's in my bed now."

Alex raised her eyebrow at him.

"What?" Kayce chuckled. "I'm not with her...we're going through a divorce, remember?"

"Oh, I remember," Alex nodded. "Just didn't know you didn't care who was in your bed...like...anyone can just come and crawl into your bed?"

Kayce blinked slowly, eyeing her.

"Why?" He asked with a smirk growing on his lips. "Seems like you don't want to be in it so...maybe I should?"

Alex's eyes widened.

"Oh, really?" Alex nodded. "Hmm...well then, Mr. Dutton. Guess you can do what you told your father to do and fuck off back to your own bed if you're gonna allow anyone into it."

Kayce snorted.

"I mean it," Alex shook her head as Kayce stalked toward her. "Just go on out that door and-Kayce!"

Kayce tackled Alex back onto her bed. The two rolled around, laughing as they laid out on the blankets. Alex was tucked into Kayce's side as he leaned on his elbow over her slightly. His golden eyes danced with hers.

"I just want you in my bed," He mumbled to her.

Alex bit her lip, smiling up at him. Kayce gave her a huge sigh and she knew she'd won tonight.

"I'll see you in the morning," Kayce told her.

Alex leaned up and pressed her lips to his in a sweet kiss.

"Goodnight, Kayce," Alex said.

**

Alex woke up to someone shaking her shoulder gently. Blinking slowly, she opened her eyes to see Tate standing in front of her side of the bed with a smile on his face. It was early, Alex could tell by the lack of light coming in.

"Hey, Tate," Alex stretched. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah..." Tate whispered. "But Dad said if you're gonna come ride with us we need to get going before the wranglers start working. Or else they'd put us to work."

"Well, we can't have that, can we?" Alex sat up in her bed, rubbing her eyes. "Give me ten minutes and I'll be downstairs, okay?"

"Okay!" Tate quickly left.

Alex giggled as she climbed out of bed and quickly changed into some warm jeans and a thermal top. While she slipped her boots on her door opened up again, this time Kayce stepped inside.

"I'm hurrying," Alex laughed as she stood up.

Kayce smiled at her, walking over quickly and cupping her cheeks. He kissed Alex deeply, butterflies filling her stomach as she sighed against his lips.

"Morning," Kayce murmured against her lips.

"Good morning," Alex said a little out of breath.

"Missed you last night," Kayce told her, his hands coming down to hold her waist.

Alex didn't want to admit it, but she had missed sleeping next to Kayce too. Most of the time they didn't even touch, but the presence of him next to her had calmed Alex's thoughts the past few weeks.

"Yeah," Alex nodded. "I missed you too."

Kayce's hands squeezed her sides lovingly.

"Ready to ride?" He asked her.

"Where exactly are we riding too?" Alex followed Kayce out of her bedroom and down the stairs.

"Just around some," Kayce shrugged as they met Tate by the back door.

"Am I with you, Dad?" Tate asked as Kayce handed him his coat.

"Uh...thought maybe you'd want to ride with Alex?" Kayce looked between them.

"Me?" Alex shrugged her coat on. "Only if you want to, Tate?"

"Yeah," Tate smiled and nodded.

The three of them bundled up and headed down to the barn. The wranglers must have already known they were coming and had two horses prepared for Kayce and Alex to get on. Before Kayce got on his horse, he helped pop Tate up. in front of Alex.

"Good?" Alex asked Tate.

"Yeah," Tate nodded. "We're gonna go fast right?"

"Tate," Kayce watned.

"Well, it depends," Alex griped the reigns.

"On what?" Tate asked her.

Alex looked over at Kayce who was up.

"How slow your dad is," She whispered and kicked off.

Tate's laughter was heard throughout the valley as Kayce took off after them. Alex led her horse straight through the trees, Tate holding onto her but yelling for her to go faster as they passed along one of the fence lines. Alex could hear Kayce's horse behind her.

For the next ten minutes, they rode over the land until Alex turned a corner in the trees and came upon one of the rivers. She slowed her horse down, her and Tate's breath flowing out in front of them. Kayce came up beside her.

"You're insane," Kayce breathed out.

"Yeah, but we're all smiling," Alex laughed.

"That was awesome!" Tate cheered.

Alex giggled, holding onto Tate as she looked out over the land. Tate leaned back against her, catching his breath as well.

"It's so pretty," Alex said softly.

"It's mostly dead," Kayce looked over at her.

"I know," Alex nodded. "But there's a beauty to it still."

"Here," Kayce got off his horse, tying him to a low tree branch near the river. "C'mere, Tate."

Kayce helped Tate down and then held out a hand for Alex to take. She got off her horse and Kayce tied hers next to his. Tate wandered over to the river.

"Careful, Tate," Alex told him.

She felt Kayce's hand on her lower back, sliding under her coat and thermal. Alex shivered from Kayce's cold fingers but her skin quickly warmed them up. While they both looked at Tate, Kayce stepped close behind Alex. She could feel his breath on her neck as he rubbed circles against her skin.

"Thank you for coming with us," Kayce told her.

"Thanks for the invite," Alex smiled up at him. "Even though it was early."

"Tate insisted," Kayce smiled.

The two of them leaned in closer to each other.

"Really?" Alex smirked. "Tate insisted?"

"He did," Kayce laughed.

"Mmhmm," Alex rolled her eyes.

Kayce's fingers moved to hold her side, pulling her into him. His lips brushed against her ear.

"Maybe I did too," He told her.

"Sounds more like it," Alex elbowed him gently.

"Dad!" Tate called out. "I don't see any fish!"

"Too cold, buddy," Kayce called back, holding Alex against him as she tried to move away. "They'll come back in the spring."

Tate looked back down at the river.

"You're playing with fire," Alex muttered.

"Yeah?" Kayce said as if she had dared him.

Kayce turned Alex sharply, pulling her lips to his in a kiss. It took her a few seconds to realize before Alex pushed away from him.

"Kayce!" She hissed sharply.

He had a smile on his face as he watched her.

"You need to lighten up, Lex," Kayce chuckled, walking past her.

Alex watched him walk over to Tate and both of them stood the same way. She smiled as the father and son chatted about something. Tate looked over his shoulder at Alex.

"Come here!" He called to her.

Alex walked up and stood on the other side of Tate.

"Look," Tate pointed.

Alex squinted her eyes over to where he was pointing and saw a deer walking along the tree lines.

"Trying to fatten up I bet," Alex smiled.

"Should've brought your gun, Dad," Tate muttered.

Kayce looked at Alex who rolled her eyes at them. She focused back on Kayce though. He had a relaxed way about him, hands in his pocket and a lazy smile on his face. Tate sniffed, wiping his nose on the sleeve of his coat.

"Come on," Alex patted his shoulder. "We don't need you getting sick out here."

The trio made their way back over to the horses and Kayce held the reigns while Alex got up on hers. He lifted Tate to sit in front of her. Kayce's hand rested on Alex's thigh as Tate got situated.

"Good?" Kayce asked Tate, but his eyes were on Alex.

"Ready," Tate nodded.

Alex laced her fingers through Kayce's on her leg.

"Thank you," She smiled at him.

They all got back to the main lodge in time for lunch. Alex and Kayce hung up coats as Tate took off upstairs to change into warm socks. Kayce stepped over to give Alex room to place her boots next to his.

She looked over, reaching out and pulling Kayce back to her by his arm. He looked at her as if she needed something.

"Thanks for that," Alex whispered, leaning up on her toes and placing a kiss on Kayce's cheek. "I needed it."

"Tate's good for...a break from reality," Kayce smiled, his arm circling around Alex's waist. "I liked you up on a horse too."

Alex glanced up the stairs and then around Kayce's shoulder. She stepped closer to him and her chapped lips met his. There was a low hum from the back of Kayce's throat as their kiss ended.

"Kayce," John's voice made both of them jump.

John was standing off toward the kitchen, his face stones hard as he looked at the pair. Alex felt her heart leap out of her chest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 311 17
A YellowStone FanFic S1-TBD This is Addy Wheelers story of love , family , greed and all that comes with the Yellowstone. STILL A WORK IN PROGRESS...
73K 1.7K 28
AdaJane packed up what little she had from Texas to attend Veterinary School in Wyoming where she meets her soul sister, best friend, and college roo...
16K 463 10
Loving John Dutton is not easy.
7.1K 221 12
Blakely Dutton, also known as Blake, is the twin sister of Beth Dutton. When they were growing up, Beth always made sure to point out that she was bo...