Healing Over Time

By LillyBelle13

Alexandria Reynolds wasn't supposed to be burying her fiancé. She wasn't supposed to be marrying Lee Dutton... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty

Chapter Ten

1.3K 55 20
By LillyBelle13

Nine weeks after Lee's death.

It was coming on four days now that Alex had been there. Or...she thought it had been four days. She wasn't one hundred percent sure seeing as how she didn't know when she got there or what day it actually was now. 

The only people she saw were the two men from the beginning. She got oatmeal once a day and one bottle of water. No shower, the bathroom was disgusting in the other room when they would let her go there, and the room had flooded with a rain storm a day earlier. Now it smelled of mold and dirt. 

Alex tried to fight the men each time they would come in. Whether it was kicking them on the second day, which led to her ankles being tied to the front legs of the chair, or head butting on the third day...each time resulted in them beating Alex. Yesterday one of the men hit her so hard that she fell to the floor and was knocked unconscious for a little while...leading to even more confusion as to how long she'd actually been there. 

When they untied her mouth rag to eat for the first time, she had asked about Monica and why they took her instead but no one ever answered. The second time she asked one of the men yanked her hair back, spat in her face, and nearly choked her. 

It had to be late in the evening as Alex saw in the chair. Her ass was numb and her lower back killed her from sitting almost all the time. When she heard vehicles pull up she thought it strange, as the mend never came back after her supper time. A few seconds later she heard screaming, but it sounded like a little kid. Alex's eyes widened as she tried to listen better as to what was going on. 

Suddenly the door swung open and two men walked in first. One of the men in a hood walked in farther dragging what looked like a little boy by the collar and arms. 

"NO!" Screamed the little boy and realization struck Alex. 

Had her mouth been free she would have screamed out but she couldn't. She struggled in her chair, desperately trying to wiggle out of the ropes she knew she couldn't. The man threw the boy on the ground with a huff. 

"Little fucker," The guy muttered and walked back out of the door, locking it behind him, the other man still there. 

Alex's looked over at the guy, breathing hard. His dark eyes found her as pulled out some rope from where he was holding it behind him. Alex shook her head, wiggling again. 

"You try to get out again and I'll fuck you up, bitch!" He snapped at Alex. 

She stopped moving, her eyes big and locked on his. The guy walked over to the boy and practically hog-tied him. The little boy screamed again and it made tears come to Alex's eyes as she watched helplessly. The guy threw the little boy back on the ground and walked back out of the door, locking it again. 

Alex was breathing hard as she looked at the little boy, curled up on the ground with his head buried under his arms.  

"Mmm," Alex groaned out. "Mmm!" 

The little by tensed but didn't move. 

"Mmm!" Alex tried to scoot the chair over closer but the metal had dug into the muddy ground thanks to the rain. 

Alex felt a warm tear roll down her neck. She sighed, looking around for something to help her but nothing had changed since she was brought here so what could she possibly see now? 

"A-Alex?"

Alex's head shot back over to see little sad, dark eyes looking out from between two arms. It felt like it took an hour for Tate to lean up as best he could from how he was tied up. His face was dirty, but other than that thankfully he looked okay to Alex. Alex felt her head nod slowly as Tate sat up on the muddy floor. 

She watched Tate try and stand up, falling twice as he limped over to where she was sitting. He fell into her lap though at the last second but Alex didn't care. He was warm next to her as she laid her head on top of his pressed against her chest. Tate's fingers dug into her jeans as she heard him start to cry. 

She needed to get him to remove her mouth tie though. Alex nudged Tate's head with hers gently and mumbled to him. Tate looked up at her and it took him a minute, but he understood. He raised both hands, tied at his wrists, and pulled down the tie so it hung almost as a necklace on Alex. 

"Tate," Alex breathed out. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" 

"W-Where are w-we?" Tate stuttered, his cheeks tear-stained. 

"I don't know," Alex shook her head, swallowing harshly. "Do you remember what happened? How did they get you?" 

"I-I don't know," Tate shook his head. 

"That's okay," Alex's mind was racing. "Just think about it...what were you doing last?" 

Tate looked down at his feet. Alex heard another door slam shut and her heart started to beat faster. She looked back at Tate. 

"Were you with your dad?" Alex asked, trying to help him out.

"No," Tate sighed. "Grandpa." 

"You were with your grandpa?" Alex asked. 

She couldn't imagine John letting anyone take Tate from him. John would be dead for that to happen and it made Alex sick to her stomach. 

"I w-was feeding my horse," Tate said. "At the barn." 

"And your grandpa was with you?" Alex tried to follow. 

"No I was by myself," Tate sniffed. 

They took him from the ranch. Alex tried to force her face to stay calm as Tate was watching her. She nodded her head, trying to give him a small smile. It was short lived though, before the door opened up again. 

"Get the fuck away from her!" A man yelled and Tate screamed. 

"Leave him alone!" Alex cried as the man walked over to them. 

Tate fell as he tried to step away and the man grabbed him. Alex struggled in her chair again as another man walked in. 

"Stop it!" Alex screamed. "Leave him alone!" 

"Shut her up!" The man holding Tate snapped as he walked into another room. 

"Please! Don't!" Alex screamed. "You can't - he's just a little kid!" 

"God you're annoying," The other guy said as he walked over to Alex. 

"Fuck you!" Alex spat and she knew it was a mistake. 

Smack 

Smack 

Alex could taste blood in her mouth as she winced, her eyes slowly opened back up. The man grabbed her throat and tilted her head back. She felt lightheaded all of a sudden, his fingers digging into her skin. 

"I'd listen if I were you," The man hissed. 

Alex gasped, unable to say anything as a ringing in her ear started. She heard screaming from the other room but wasn't sure if it was Tate now or not. The guy shoved her back though and Alex started coughing. Her throat was screaming at her as she tried to catch her breath. 

"Please..." Alex gasped out. "Don't hurt him." 

"I'm more concerned with you," The man reached his hand out and ran it down Alex's front between her breasts. 

She tried to wiggle away from him. The past few days they had groped her some, touched her a few times but they always seemed to stop before anything more. 

"Leave him alone," Alex pleaded. 

She heard another scream come from the other room. Her head looked over but the guy grabbed the back of her head and forced Alex to look back up at him. 

"How bad do you want to protect him?" The guy asked her. 

"Hey!" The other man had come back. "The fuck are you doing?" 

He threw Tate back on the ground. Alex could see where he had shaved Tate's head. 

"Let's go," The man shoved the other guy and both of them left. 

Alex breathed in and out, looking over at Tate. 

**

Next morning 

The music was so loud Alex couldn't hear herself think anymore. She opened her eyes wide as she glanced over at Tate sitting on the ground with his hands over his head, his arms blocking his ears. Alex didn't have that small luxury as her wrists were tied to the chair legs still. 

Tate had untied her once, earlier that morning but when the men came in they had scared Tate into a corner and flipped Alex's chair on its side, kicking her a few times. Now she was back up, but sure that one of her eardrums was about to burst. 

A man walked in, making them jump, and headed straight to Tate. It was bathroom time Alex guessed as he led Tate back into where the bathroom was. Alex felt hopeless and deserted and didn't know what to do. How long was she and Tate supposed to endure this? 

But she screamed out when the door was kicked in. All of a sudden, multiple men were inside, guns drawn and lights shining on her. Alex closed her eyes and tilted her head down, thinking this might be it...until some time passed and then the music was cut. 

It was like all she heard was static now, mixing in with mumbles. When she felt hands on her shoulder Alex's fight still kicked in. She couldn't move her legs or arms but she struggled against whoever was holding her. Suddenly, it was like the voice cut clear through the white noise. 

"Alex!" 

She stopped moving, her eyes slowly opening. There, kneeling in front of her was Kayce. He was in a bulletproof vest and dark baseball cap, his eyes wild as he looked her over. Alex felt her heart stop as she registered it really was Kayce in front of her. Two shots rang out though, making everyone jump. Alex's head snapped back to Kayce. 

"T-Tate," Alex whispered and Kayce's eyes widened. 

He jumped up and ran around the corner. Alex heard Tate scream again and sighed, knowing he was still alive. She felt her arms suddenly lean free, an officer untying her from behind. Sherriff HAskell leaned down to her. 

"Alexandria Reynolds?" Haskell said to her. 

Alex just blinked up at him as they untied her ankles too. She felt the freedom, but couldn't move. Her body had aches Alex had yet to feel right now. She knew Haskell was talking to her, but her eyes were on the doorframe. 

The officers around her were all moving, talking on radios, and saying things. But Alex kept looking at the doorframe. It wasn't until she saw Kayce walk through, Tate in his arms that she felt her shoulders drop. Her eyes met Kayce's and she knew she was crying again. 

Everything then happened in a slow-motion blur for Alex. Two female officers helped her outside, an ambulance waiting for her and Tate. She sat down on the edge of the rig as Kayce placed Tate next to her. The father didn't leave his son's side as some medics looked them over. Alex recognized one of them from a ride-along she had done a year ago. The woman gave Alex a small, grateful smile.

"Whole fucking hospital's been worried shitless," She told Alex as she cleaned off her cheek. 

Alex felt small hands hold her arm and looked to her side. Tate was leaning his forehead against her shoulder as the medic rubbed some antiseptic over a cut on his wrists from the ropes. Alex rested her chin on Tate's head, her eyes opening up to see Kayce looking down at them. His hand was still resting on Tate's back. 

"Kayce?" Haskell walked up. "All accounted for now. We'll do the write-up, and follow-up tomorrow...but they're free to go now."

Kayce nodded his head and Haskell walked away from them. Alex hissed when the medic started to clean her ankles. The woman looked up apologetically as she tried to be gentle. Alex breathed out as she leaned her cheek on Tate's head. 

"Alex," The woman stood up. "Do you need a...did they...sorry to ask, but do you need a kit done on you?" 

For some reason, Alex glanced at Kayce. He looked in pain as she turned back to the medic. Alex shook her head no slowly and the medic nodded with some relief. 

"I'd suggest a shower when you get home," The medic said. "Then I'd suggest a lot of water and some Advil and sleep...don't be afraid to sleep for a long time if you can...you're both exhausted and dehydrated."  

Alex was only half listening but she nodded her head on top of Tate's. The medics packed up their things and walked off. Tate's grip on Alex's arm only tightened when she shifted in her spot. Kayce was immediately in front of both of them. His arms went around Tate who left Alex's side and wrapped his arms around Kayce's neck. Kayce pulled him up and held him at his side, even with his vest on. 

Alex was surprised to see Kayce hold out his other hand to her. She took it and Kayce helped her down from the rig. Pain shot through Alex's legs as she stood and her eyes closed for a few seconds. 

"Hey..." Kayce leaned in closer to her. 

Alex looked up at him and nodded her head. She took a step and was a little shaky, probably from not walking hardly at all the past week. Kayce's hand dropped hers as he wrapped it around her waist. He led them over to his truck and that's when Alex recognized Ryan. 

Ryan opened the back door and gave Alex a small nod as Kayce let Tate crawl in and then got in himself. Ryan helped Alex climb in after as Kayce held his arm out for Alex to lean against him. Ryan shut the door and then got into the driver's seat, starting the engine. 

Tate maneuvered his way onto Kayce's lap as he tucked himself under Kayce's chin. Alex leaned her head against Kayce's other shoulder, feeling the weight of everything fall from around her as they drove off. Tate's eyes opened up and he looked over at Alex. 

She took her arm and reached out to hold Tate against Kayce's chest. Her hand gently rubbed up and down Tate's side. Alex felt Kayce's hold on her tighten. She had no idea what had happened, who those men were, or why they just went through what they did. But Alex had never felt more safe than she did right this second. 

Getting back to the ranch was another blur moment. Tate was immediately pulled into Monica's arms, Beth holding onto Alex as she stepped out of the truck. John stood off as Kayce walked behind Monica and Tate back into the house. Alex took a deep breath, the exhaustion filling her mind as John walked up to her other side and the three of them went into the house. 

Beth got Alex upstairs and seated down on the edge of the tub as the warm water poured in. The two women didn't speak much as Beth helped Alex remove her clothes. There was no telling what Alex looked like or what she smelled like at this point, as Beth held Alex's arms while she stepped into the tub. 

"Easy," Beth breathed out as Alex sat back, sloshing the water a bit. 

All of Alex's muscles ached as the warm water hit them. But it felt heavenly as Beth got started on Alex's hair. They had to drain the tub twice with the amount of filth that came off of Alex, but eventually, she was settled back in soapy, warm water while Beth walked back in with a clean set of clothes to change into. Alex looked up at her. 

"I know you have a lot of questions," Beth sat down on the ledge. "We all have questions too...but God damnit, Lex." 

"I know," Alex sighed. "Don't think I have any of the answers though." 

"No one's asking anything of you right now," Beth sighed. 

There was a knock at the door so Beth got up and walked out of the bathroom. Alex listened to muffled voices, unsure of who it was or what was being said. A few seconds later Beth appeared again in the doorway. 

"Kayce's wanting to know if you'd talk to him," Beth crossed her arms. "I told him to fuck off but then again, I'm not you." 

"Why did you tell him to fuck off?" Alex asked. 

"Because you're too good for him right now," Beth answered with an authenticity in her tone Alex had never heard. 

"Too good?" Alex leaned up in the water. 

"You need rest," Beth walked inside the bathroom more. "You don't need him to rile you up or make you upset." 

"Don't you think I can decide that myself?" Alex asked. 

"Honestly? I don't think you can with him," Beth gave her a sad smile. "But come on and dry off, I'll help you." 

Slowly, Alex got out of the bathtub and changed into the clothes Beth brought her after she dried off. She was able to make it to the end of her bed before Alex had to sit down, her legs feeling fuzzy and some lightheadedness coming back to her. 

"I'm okay," Alex said when Beth gave her a look. 

"Holler if you need something," Beth sighed, walking over to the door and opening it. 

Alex could see Kayce standing on the other side as Beth snapped something at him as she passed. Kayce looked inside the room, his eyes coming to rest on Alex. 

"How's Tate?" Alex thought it was the best way to start a conversation with him right now. 

"Monica's trying to get him to sleep, Kayce walked in with his hands in his pockets. "How are you?" 

Alex thought for a moment. 

"I don't know really?" Alex shrugged. "I'm...here, I guess?" 

"Alex..." Kayce breathed out. "I don't...I don't know what to say to you." 

Alex just shook her head, unable to come up with words herself. 

"They were...hired by the Beck brothers," Kayce looked irritated. "They thought you were with me...they thought you were..." 

"Stop," Alex shut her eyes. 

Kayce immediately stopped talking. Alex opened her eyes again and this time there were tears in them. 

"C-Can we just not?" Alex asked him. "I d-don't wanna talk about it tonight." 

"Okay," Kayce nodded. 

A piercing scream cut through the lodge. Kayce and Alex both ran out of the room and down the hall where they found Monica trying to wrestle with Tate in the bed. Kayce's eyes were glossy as Monica tried to hush Tate, whispering it was a dream. 

"Tate," Alex whispered and he immediately stopped, his eyes looking over at her. 

Monica looked up too with a deep frown on her face. 

"We aren't there," Alex shook her head slowly. "We're home." 

Tate was breathing hard as he stared at Alex. Monica was able to get him to lie back down with his head on the pillow. Alex slowly backed out of the room, wincing as she turned. 

"Alex," Kayce called after her but she kept on walking down the hall. "Alex!" 

"Stay with him," Alex looked over her shoulder and Kayce looked like she had slapped him again. "He needs you more than me." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 138 7
"And I would love you in all of this, until the very last star in the sky burnt out into oblivion." -Madeline Miller I REMEMBER EVERYTHING Ryan x fem...
32K 704 23
she spent her whole life being told she was the reason her and her siblings grew up without a mother, therefore she grew up alone. She was much young...
15.8K 351 11
This is a story about Lee Dutton and his wife Brie. Brie is surgeon from a well known family. Before Brie was a Dutton she was a Sheppard. I know wha...
209K 5.3K 43
Spencer Hope Dutton. Tiny. The youngest of the Dutton household, if only by a few minutes. She swore those few minutes after Kayce popped out were th...