The Exchange Student - Harry...

By JCardonaCardona

Nicolรกs Cardona-Lupin, a magical prodigy from Colombia used to excel at Castelobruxo is now thrust into the c... More

๐—ง๐—›๐—˜ ๐—˜๐—ซ๐—–๐—›๐—”๐—ก๐—š๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—จ๐——๐—˜๐—ก๐—ง
โžฃ ๐™‹๐™ง๐™ค๐™ก๐™ค๐™œ๐™ช๐™š
โžฃ ๐—ฃ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—น๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜ ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—ฎ๐—ฒ๐˜€๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ๐˜€
โ†ณ ๐—ฃ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ง ๐Ÿญ: ๐—–๐—”๐—ฆ๐—ง๐—˜๐—Ÿ๐—ข๐—•๐—ฅ๐—จ๐—ซ๐—ข
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ "๐™Š๐™ฃ ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™ง๐™ค๐™–๐™™ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™จ๐™˜๐™๐™ค๐™ค๐™ก"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ "๐˜พ๐™–๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ก๐™ค๐™—๐™ง๐™ช๐™ญ๐™ค"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ‘ "๐˜ผ๐™™๐™Ÿ๐™ช๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™‡๐™š๐™–๐™ง๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ’ "๐˜พ๐™š๐™™๐™ง๐™ž๐™˜ ๐˜ฟ๐™ž๐™œ๐™œ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐˜ฟ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ž๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™‡๐™š๐™จ๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™–๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™š"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ“ "๐˜ผ๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™ข๐™–๐™œ๐™ž ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™๐™ฃ๐™˜๐™ก๐™š ๐™Ž๐™ž๐™ง๐™ž๐™ช๐™จ"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ” "๐™๐™๐™š ๐™’๐™š๐™–๐™จ๐™ก๐™š๐™ฎ ๐™๐™ฌ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™จ"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ• "๐™ƒ๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™‹๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ– "๐™„๐™ข๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™š๐™จ"
โ†ณ ๐—ฃ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ง ๐Ÿฎ: ๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—จ๐—ก๐—œ๐—ข๐—ก๐—ฆ ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—–๐—›๐—”๐—ก๐—š๐—˜๐—ฆ
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ "๐™๐™๐™š ๐™๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™˜๐™ค๐™ง๐™ฃ ๐™‚๐™–๐™ฃ๐™œ"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ "๐™๐™๐™š ๐™Ž๐™ค๐™ง๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ƒ๐™–๐™ฉ"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ‘ "๐™๐™๐™š ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง๐™–๐™ช๐™™๐™š๐™ง'๐™จ ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ฅ"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ’ "๐˜ผ ๐™๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ก ๐˜ฝ๐™–๐™—๐™š"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ“ "๐™๐™๐™š ๐™ˆ๐™š๐™–๐™ฃ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ค๐™› ๐˜ฟ๐™š๐™–๐™ฉ๐™"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ” "๐™€๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™ฉ๐™๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ƒ๐™–๐™จ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฃ๐™œ๐™š๐™™"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ• "๐™‹๐™ž๐™ข๐™ฅ๐™ก๐™š๐™จ"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ— "๐™œ๐™ค๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ง๐™ช๐™จ๐™"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ "๐™‹๐™š๐™ฅ ๐™๐™–๐™ก๐™ "
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ"๐™‰๐™ค ๐™๐™š๐™จ๐™ฉ ๐™›๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š ๐™’๐™ž๐™˜๐™ ๐™š๐™™"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ "๐™๐™ค๐™ข๐™ข๐™ฎ ๐™๐™ž๐™™๐™™๐™ก๐™š"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ "๐™๐™๐™š ๐™Ž๐™š๐™˜๐™ง๐™š๐™ฉ ๐˜ผ๐™™๐™ข๐™ž๐™ง๐™š๐™ง"
โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’ "๐™๐™š๐™จ๐™˜๐™ช๐™š ๐™ˆ๐™ž๐™จ๐™จ๐™ž๐™ค๐™ฃ: ๐™ƒ๐™–๐™ง๐™ง๐™ฎ ๐™‹๐™ค๐™ฉ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง"
โ†ณ ๐—ฃ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ง ๐Ÿฏ: ๐—˜๐—ฆ๐—–๐—”๐—ฃ๐—”๐——๐—˜๐—ฆ ๐—”๐—ก๐—— ๐—ฅ๐—˜๐—•๐—œ๐—ฅ๐—ง๐—›๐—ฆ

โžฃ ๐˜พ๐™๐™–๐™ฅ๐™ฉ๐™š๐™ง ๐Ÿ– "๐™‹๐™–๐™ง๐™จ๐™š๐™ก๐™ข๐™ค๐™ช๐™ฉ๐™"

234 8 0
By JCardonaCardona

°°

The following weeks were chaos, from frantic letters to relatives to every new student shaking in fear as they crossed every corner of the school.

By the time December came, the whole school was in a silent chaos. Talismans, amulets, and any kind of protection devices started to circulate the school, clearly hidden from the professors' view.

Nicolás' and Caelum's birthdays passed quickly. Nicolás had the countless array of candies still guarded in his trunk; it didn't seem like it was going to be finished ever.

By the second of December, Professor Sprout requested the names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas.

Nicolás and Caelum had agreed to stay this time, considering Harry was also going to stay. Although, when asked why, the younger boy seemed to get very nervous. It was obvious that he was hiding something from them; Nicolás could only wish it wasn't something deadly or stupid, but a part of him knew that it was probably both.

Cedric wasn't sure if he should go or stay, meanwhile Dorian decided to also stay behind with Draco.

•───── ☽⋅─────•

Looking ahead, the sky was as dark as it could get. The only things to accompany him were the glistening stars. The air in the Astronomy Tower was normally cold due to its height, but so close to midnight, it was even more.

As he was about to stand up, thinking he wasn't going to come, the door was sliced open, followed by the sound of careful steps, before the other boy reached him, taking the seat beside him, their feet hanging at the edge of the tower, their arms leaning on the railing around it.

And now it felt complete, looking at the sky with the sky beside him, with the heaven, with Caelum. He still didn't look at the other boy.

"Soo, you wanna talk, or just needed company?" Caelum asked. "I'm fine with both, you just seemed pretty — affected by it."

Dorian sighed, finally looking at Caelum. "Of course, I'm affected, you twat. I haven't spoken to Draco in more than a week. Still keeping an eye on him, though."

Caelum chuckled, "well, he deserved it, you know what he was going to call Hermione."

"I know," groaned Dorian. "But it's not his fault. He didn't choose that imbecile of a father he got. You just don't get it, Cae. Being raised by them was so hard, I simply had to nod and agree with everything they said, even when deep down I knew it was all rubbish, even when it tore my heart to read all the letters my parents left for me, telling me how to actually live."

"They were good people," said Caelum.

"Yes, and I try to always learn from them, but I'm scared," the Slytherin admitted.

"Scared?"

"Of losing him," Dorian confessed. "What if I'm too late and can't change the way he thinks? What if he's already decided he wants to follow their steps and not mine?"

"Draco may be a little git sometimes, but he adores you, Dorian," replied Caelum.

"Don't call him that," Dorian rolled his eyes.

Caelum sent him a wide smirk. "Well, he is, but I think you just need to talk to him, if there's someone that can save him from the path his parents are taking him, it's you. I trust you'll do it."

For the next minutes, Dorian stayed in silence, looking into the melted mercury pools that were Caelum's eyes, searching for any ounce of doubt, and finding none. Because Caelum did really trust he could do good, not caring that he was a Lestrange, or about all the relatives he had in Azkaban for the most hideous crimes.

Someone like Caelum, who's so light despite his family's name, shouldn't be friends with someone like Dorian. Someone who's dark, or at least, that's what everyone had said. But Caelum always refused to listen to any of them. Well, he generally refused to listen to anyone except for his mother, anyway.

"I know you have your heart in the right place," Caelum said, barely louder than a whisper, grabbing one of Dorian's hands. "And I'm very proud of you for that. I know you and Draco will sort out your stuff."

For a moment, looking at the boy who's been his best friend ever since the first day, back in the Hogwarts Express, Dorian saw how his sight started to slowly get blurry due to the wetness enveloping his eyes.

He nodded, squeezing Caelum's hand in return, before leaning his head on the other boy's shoulder, whispering a soft, "Thank you."

And they stood like that for about an hour more, until their asses were too numb from the hardness of the floor, and the sleep started to weigh over their eyelids. They stood up together, and Caelum used the Marauder's Map—borrowed from Nicolás—, to take Dorian back to the entrance of the Slytherin common room, before moving to Gryffindor Tower.

•───── ☽⋅─────•

Care of Magical Creatures had always been, alongside alchemy, Nicolás' favorite subject to study. Not just because of his magical connection with animals and magical creatures, but because they were such interesting beings, it would be a waste not to study them.

Most of the creatures they had studied in the year, or he already knew them to expertise from the reserve, or he had studied them at his three years in Castelobruxo.

The Care of Magical Creatures' teacher was Professor Kettleburn; a shabby-looking man. He was in his sixties, and the poor man only conserved one of his arms and half a leg; the rest was compensated with magical prostheses, he was also missing an eye. He usually dressed in a Scottish skirt, with a big and old-looking coat.

It's not that Nicolás didn't like Professor Kettleburn per se, it was just that his classes were very disorganized and often chaotically dangerous. Being in class with him felt like having an overexcited and messy child giving instructions. He often came across as irrational, reckless, and borderline stupid.

For their final class of term, before the Christmas break, Professor Kettleburn decided to bring a Leucrotta.

Those were fascinating creatures, and one of the few Nicolás never had the privilege of meeting. At first sight, they looked like common large moose, with the exception of the lion-like mane they had, that looked like a beard. And the fact that their mouth could open as wide as to ten times the size of their head, being able to fit an entire adult human in it.

They had been tasked with cleaning their teeth. After speaking with the creature, Nicolás understood that Leucrottas didn't like the contact with their teeth —as they were hypersensitive and painful—, but there was nothing a simple Cleaning Spell couldn't solve.

Leucrottas were also able to mimic the sounds and voices they heard in their surroundings, giving them an advantage at survival in the wild.

Nicolás and Caelum were the first ones to clean their Leucrottas' teeth with a quick Cleaning Spell, Cedric took a little longer to finally calm his Leucrotta so he could get to its teeth and clean them.

•───── ☽⋅─────•

As they made their way to the Great Hall, the small gathering of students in front of the door stopped them. Naturally, they shrugged as they stopped at the back, making line to see.

"What's all this fuss about?" asked Caelum.

"You reckon they finally fired Lockhart?" Nicolás asked, his voice hopeful; maybe then he could finally go back to Defence classes.

"I really don't think we're that lucky," said Caelum. "At least you don't have to sit for two hours of torture."

Once they finally stopped in front of the door, the sign in it was confusing.

"A Dueling Club?" Asked Cedric.

"Sounds interesting, doesn't it? I read that Professor Flitwick was a dueling champion," Nicolás commented.

"I don't know, but I want to see how that goes," joked Caelum.

"It says 8 o'clock. I'll be done already with my rounds around the Forbidden Forest by that time. Cedric and I will be there," said Nicolás in a decided voice.

Cedric choked on air. "We will?"

Nicolás looked at him with a nonchalant smile. "Yes. Right?"

Cedric opened his mouth a few times, his face slightly flushing before words could come out. Trying to smile nonchalantly himself, he responded, "I—I mean, yes—of course!"

Beaming at Caelum, Nicolás grabbed one of Cedric's arms. "We'll see you there!" And he rushed Cedric towards the Hufflepuff table so they could eat breakfast.

Later that day, at 8 o'clock, Nicolás and Cedric met Caelum and Dorian at the entrance of the Great Hall. Before they could enter, Harry, Ron, and Hermione arrived.

"Hey, Little One!" Nicolás beckoned Harry.

Harry looked back at him with a smile. "Hi, Nico."

"Excited for your first dueling class?"

"Surely will come in handy, right?" asked Harry.

"I surely hope you're not finding a way to need it, are you?" Nicolás asked with a raised brow.

A little uncertain, Harry shrugged. "Let's go inside and see what this is about."

As they entered, the Great Hall had been changed for the occasion. The four large tables had been vanished, in their place, was a large stage with golden hues, and the light of thousands of floating candles.

Most students had their wands in their hands, looking excited. Nicolás himself was excited, but of course, his excitement didn't last long. Like a mosquito ruining his joy, his excitement was squashed the moment a head with blond hair walked up the stage. Gilderoy Lockhart. And behind him, to make things worse, Severus Snape.

With a loud groan, Nicolás was about to turn back and leave the room, before Cedric wrapped one of his arms around his middle, stopping him. With a wide smile, and a playful shove, Nicolás found himself facing Lockhart and Snape again. With Cedric's thick arm resting heavy and comfortably on his shoulders, Nicolás had no other option but to see what happened, he leaned back, trying to find comfort in Cedric's body warmth.

Lockhart waved an arm for silence and called, "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent! Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions — for full details, see my published works—Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape," said Lockhart, flashing a wide smile. "He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about dueling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry—you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

"Can you imagine if they finished each other off?" Nicolás muttered in Cedric's ear.

Snape's upper lip was curling. Nicolás couldn't stop thinking how, genuinely, Snape had to be one of the most bitter and disgruntled people he'd ever met. In the four months he's met him, Snape has never had a single minuscule happy moment—without counting his, somewhat, joy in making others as miserable as him.

Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed; at least, Lockhart did, with much twirling of his hands, whereas Snape jerked his head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.

"As you see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position," Lockhart told the silent crowd. "On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that," Cedric muttered with a silent laugh, resting his chin on Nicolás's shoulder.

"One — two — three —"

Both of them swung their wands above their heads and pointed them at their opponent; Snape cried: "Expelliarmus!" There was a dazzling flash of scarlet light and Lockhart was blasted off his feet: He flew backward off the stage, smashed into the wall, and slid down it to sprawl on the floor.

Nicolás and most of the other Slytherins cheered. Nicolás clapped until his palms stung, grabbing Cedric's shoulder for balance, laughing all his breath out.

From the corner of his eye, Nicolás saw Hermione dancing on tiptoes, he would never understand how someone as clever as her would believe any of that man's crap. "Do you think he's all right?" she squealed through her fingers.

"Who cares?" said Harry and Ron together, wide smiles on their faces.

Lockhart was getting unsteadily to his feet. His hat had fallen off and his wavy hair was standing on end.

"Well, there you have it!" he said, tottering back onto the platform.

"That was a Disarming Charm — as you see, I've lost my wand — ah, thank you, Miss Brown — yes, an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape, but if you don't mind my saying so, it was very obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy — however, I felt it would be instructive to let them see..."

Snape was looking murderous. Possibly Lockhart had noticed, because promptly he added, "Enough demonstrating! I'm going to come amongst you now and put you all into pairs. Professor Snape, if you'd like to help me —"

Nicolás and Cedric looked at each other, before beaming and nodding. Beside them, Caelum and Dorian were already facing each other.

Nicolás saw Harry approaching Ron, but Snape got to them first, his almost permanent scowl adorning his face.

"Time to split up the dream team, I think," he sneered. "Weasley, you can partner Finnigan. Potter —"

Harry moved automatically toward Hermione.

"I don't think so," said Snape, smiling coldly. "Mr. Malfoy, come over here. Let's see what you make of the famous Potter. And you, Miss Granger — you can partner Miss Bulstrode."

As Draco came to stand in front of Harry, Nicolás noted a profound change in the boy's demeanor. He's usual smug expression was gone, and he almost didn't agree with Snape, firstly looking at Dorian for confirmation. Once Dorian nodded, Draco moved, and Snape whispered something in his ear.

"Face your partners!" called Lockhart, back on the platform. "And bow!"

Nicolás and Cedric both bowed to ninety degrees.

"Wands at the ready!" shouted Lockhart. "When I count to three, cast your charms to disarm your opponents — only to disarm them — we don't want any accidents — one ... two... three —"

Before Nicolás could even muster the time to say the Disarming Spell, and echo thudded in the space. Looking back, letting his own wand be snatched by Cedric, Nicolás turned to look at Harry. He seemed to be fine, be he still needed to confirm.

"Harry—"

But Harry had his wand pointed at Draco. "Rictusempra!" he cried.

A jet of silver light hit Draco in the stomach, and he doubled up, wheezing.

"I said disarm only!" Lockhart shouted in alarm over the heads of the battling crowd, as Draco sank to his knees; Harry had hit him with a Tickling Charm, and he could barely move for laughing.

As Harry stood back seemingly in thought, Draco pointed his wand at his knees, and choked, "Tarantallegra!" and the next second Harry's legs began to jerk around out of his control in a kind of quickstep.

"Stop! Stop!" screamed Lockhart, but Snape took charge.

As he took his wand from Cedric, Nicolás had to bite his lips to conceal a chuckle. Those two, even if he wouldn't admit it out loud, were quite entertaining to watch.

"Finite Incantatem!" Lockhart shouted; Harry's feet stopped dancing, Draco stopped laughing, and they were able to look up.

A haze of greenish smoke was hovering over the scene. Both Neville and Justin, a second-year Hufflepuff, were lying on the floor, panting; Ron was holding up an ashen-faced Seamus, apologizing for whatever his broken wand had done; but Hermione and Millicent Bulstrode were still moving; Millicent had Hermione in a headlock and Hermione was whimpering in pain; both their wands lay forgotten on the floor. Harry leapt forward and pulled Millicent off. It was difficult: She was a lot bigger than he was.

Nicolás gave his wand a soft flick, and in an instant, as if electrified, Millicent yelped, letting go of Hermione and falling on her backside.

"Dear, dear," said Lockhart, skittering through the crowd, looking at the aftermath of the duels. "Up you go, Macmillan... Careful there, Miss Fawcett... Pinch it hard, it'll stop bleeding in a second, Boot —

"I think I'd better teach you how to block unfriendly spells," said Lockhart, standing flustered in the midst of the hall. He glanced at

Snape, whose black eyes glinted, looked quickly away. "Let's have a volunteer pair — Longbottom and Finch-Fletchley, how about you —"

"A bad idea, Professor Lockhart," said Snape, gliding over like a large and malevolent bat. "Longbottom causes devastation with the simplest spells. We'll be sending what's left of Finch-Fletchley up to the hospital wing in a matchbox." Neville's round, pink face went pinker. "How about Malfoy and Potter?" said Snape with a twisted smile. Nicolás narrowed his eyes at the man, he truly was a miserable sod.

"Excellent idea!" said Lockhart, gesturing Harry and Draco into the middle of the hall as the crowd backed away to give them room.

"Now, Harry," said Lockhart. "When Draco points his wand at you, you do this."

He raised his own wand, attempted a complicated sort of wiggling action, and dropped it. Snape smirked as Lockhart quickly picked it up, saying, "Whoops — my wand is a little overexcited—"

Nicolás snorted, Cedric had to cover his mouth with his fist to die out his laugh.

Snape moved closer to Draco, and once again bent down, and whispered something in his ear. Draco looked nervous, and if he wasn't so pale, Nicolás could guess he was paling. Harry looked up nervously at Lockhart and said, "Professor, could you show me that blocking thing again?"

Lockhart cuffed Harry merrily on the shoulder. "Just do what I did, Harry!"

"What, drop my wand?"

Nicolás quickly moved behind Harry. He grabbed the boy's hand, with the wand pointing up.

"You hold it up like this," he whispered, "And say, 'Protego', got it?"

Nervously, Harry nodded. Nicolás moved back to Cedric.

"Three — two — one — go!" Lockhart shouted.

Malfoy raised his wand quickly and bellowed, "Serpensortia!"

The end of his wand exploded. Nicolás watched, aghast, as a long black snake shot out of it, fell heavily onto the floor between them, and raised itself, ready to strike. There were screams as the crowd backed swiftly away, clearing the floor. Even Draco's mouth was open in horror, he started to stumble back.

"Don't move, Potter," said Snape lazily, clearly enjoying the sight of Harry standing motionless, eye to eye with the angry snake. "I'll get rid of it..."

"Allow me!" shouted Lockhart. He brandished his wand at the snake and there was a loud bang; the snake, instead of vanishing, flew ten feet into the air and fell back to the floor with a loud smack. Enraged, hissing furiously, it slithered straight toward Justin Finch-Fletchley and raised itself again, fangs exposed, poised to strike.

As Nicolás moved to the front, Harry also moved towards the snake, and to everyone's astonishment and horror, started hissing.

The snake stopped its movements, turning back to Harry, and hissed back.

Harry then looked up at Justin, grinning. Probably expecting to see Justin looking relieved, or puzzled, or even grateful — but certainly not angry and scared.

"What do you think you're playing at?" he shouted, and before Harry could say anything, Justin had turned and stormed out of the hall.

As the whole room erupted in loud arguments, Nicolás dragged Harry back, behind himself. Under Snape's scrutinizing look, he simply pointed his wand at the snake, and a soft, "Vipera Evanesca," was enough to vanish the snake in a small puff of black smoke.

Nicolás realized that Snape, too, was looking at Harry in an unexpected way: It was a shrewd and calculating look, and Harry didn't like it.

He started to tug Harry's robes. "Come on," Nicolás said in his ear. "Move — come on —"

And he dragged Harry out, Ron and Hermione high on their heels. Caelum, Cedric, and Dorian also seemed to have stopped, moving a little behind them, giving them space.

Hurringly, they entered an empty classroom. Harry looked extremely confused, looking at all of them, one at a time, almost frantically.

"What was all of that?" He asked, breathless.

Before Nicolás could answer, Ron pushed Harry into a seat and said, "You're a Parselmouth. Why didn't you tell us?"

"I'm a what?" said Harry.

"A Parselmouth!" said Ron. "You can talk to snakes!"

"I know," said Harry. "I mean, that's only the second time I've ever done it. I accidentally set a boa constrictor on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once — long story — but it was telling me it had never seen Brazil and I sort of set it free without meaning to — that was before I knew I was a wizard —"

"A boa constrictor told you it had never seen Brazil?" Nicolás repeated.

"So?" said Harry. "I bet loads of people here can do it."

"Oh, no, they can't," said Nicolás.

"It's not a very common gift. Harry, this is bad," said Ron.

"It's not inherently bad," Nicolás almost snapped at Ron.

"What's bad?" said Harry, starting to feel quite angry. "What's wrong with everyone? Listen, if I hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin —"

"Oh, that's what you said to it?"

"What d'you mean? You all were there — you heard me —"

"I heard you speaking Parseltongue," said Ron. "Snake language. You could have been saying anything — no wonder Justin panicked, you sounded like you were egging the snake on or something — it was creepy, you know —"

Harry gaped at him.

"I spoke a different language? But — I didn't realize — how can I speak a language without knowing I can speak it?"

Ron shook his head. Both he and Hermione were looking as though someone had died. Harry couldn't see what was so terrible.

Nicolás put a reassuring hand on Harry's shoulder. "Harry, you're a Parselmouth, talking to snakes comes to you like a second nature. It's like me, I have a gift for magical creatures and animals. I can also speak with them, it's a family thing. Your grandmother, Auntie Effie, she came from a very old Indian bloodline. Desi people are known to have Parselmouths in their bloodlines quite commonly, most snake-related magic comes from them."

Harry smiled at him, grateful and more relaxed now.

"D'you want to tell me what's wrong with stopping a massive snake biting off Justin's head?" Harry said, looking back at Ron. "What does it matter how I did it as long as Justin doesn't have to join The Headless Hunt?"

"It matters," said Hermione, speaking at last in a hushed voice, "because being able to talk to snakes was what Salazar Slytherin was famous for. That's why the symbol of Slytherin House is a serpent."

Harry's mouth fell open.

"Exactly," said Ron. "And now the whole school's going to think you're his great-great-great-great-grandson or something —"

"But I'm not," said Harry, with a panic he couldn't quite explain.

"You'll find that hard to prove," said Hermione. "He lived about a thousand years ago; for all we know, you could be."

Suddenly, the spark ignited in Nicolás' mind. "Hermione, do you think we could meet up in the library this weekend?"

The two of them had spent hours trying to discern about the attacks, spending some hours in the library after class, reading passage after passage about an array of mythological monsters, to no concrete conclusion to the moment.

But after today, it started to hit Nicolás, like Tetris pieces falling into place. The monster had to be some kind of snake. It was the only justification as to why Harry, a Parselmouth, was suddenly hearing a voice behind the walls, and Nicolás, someone connected to magical creatures and animals had also heard the voice. Hell, even Ember noticed something disturbed inside the school.

•───── ☽⋅─────•

It wasn't uncommon for Nicolás to spend hours in the library; he was most sure his Study of Ancient Runes homework wasn't about to start doing itself.

At the moment, Cedric was doing a Charms essay, while Amara and Aurora discussed their homework for Care of Magical Creatures. Suddenly, a hushed argument started to make its way through the library's silence.

"I didn't chase it at him!" sounded Harry's voice, it seemed to be shaking with anger. "It didn't even touch him!"

"It was a very near miss," said Ernie, a second-year Hufflepuff, friends with Justin. "And in case you're getting ideas," he added hastily, "I might tell you that you can trace my family back through nine generations of witches and warlocks, and my blood's as pure as anyone's, so —"

"I don't care what sort of blood you've got!" said Harry fiercely. "Why would I want to attack Muggle-borns?"

As the argument escalated, giving his companions a significant look, and receiving a nod from Cedric, Nicolás stood up, walking towards the hushed commotion.

Apparently, and shamefully, it was a group of Hufflepuffs arguing with Harry.

"I've heard you hate those Muggles you live with," said Ernie swiftly.

"I don't think it is very nice of any of you to cast judgments without the facts, guys," said Nicolás, standing behind Harry. The other Hufflepuffs didn't know what to say.

"It's not possible to live with the Dursleys and not hate them," said Harry in a rush. "I'd like to see you try it."

Seeing as Hurry was getting angrier with each passing minute and word exchanged, Nicolás grabbed him by the shoulders, guiding him out of the library, earning themselves a reproving glare from Madam Pince, who was polishing the gilded cover of a large spellbook.

Down the corridor, once Harry was recovering his calm, they encountered Hagrid. The giant was carrying a dead rooster in his hand.

"Hello, Hagrid," both boys greeted.

"What happened to that rooster?" asked Nicolás.

"Second one killed this term," Hagrid explained. "It's either foxes or a Blood-Suckin' Bugbear, an' I need the headmaster's permission ter put a charm around the hen coop."

Sensing something weird about it, but with no real weight to it, Nicolás decided to only nod. Once Hagrid kept walking, Nicolás offered to take Harry back to his common room.

Once they reached one of the corridors, the whole atmosphere was disturbed. The air felt cold, and it wasn't because of the winter. The torches in the walls had been extinguished. Looking at the high windows, Nicolás tried to extend his arm to stop Harry from walking, but the boy continued, nonetheless.

As Nicolás moved closer to touch one of the walls, Harry let out a yelp, falling to the floor. Looking at the boy, or rather, at what had caused him to trip, Nicolas felt a heavy weight in the pit of his stomach, and a sudden chill traveled down his spine to his very core.

Justin Finch-Fletchley was lying on the floor, rigid and cold, a look of shock frozen on his face, his eyes staring blankly at the ceiling. And that wasn't all. Next to him was another figure, the strangest sight they had ever seen.

It was Nearly Headless Nick, no longer pearly-white and transparent, but black and smoky, floating immobile and horizontal, six inches off the floor. His head was half off, and his face wore an expression of shock identical to Justin's.

Nicolás helped Harry back to his feet, their breathing fast and shallow, his heart doing a kind of drumroll against his ribs. He looked wildly up and down the deserted corridor and saw a line of spiders scuttling, as fast as they could, away from the bodies. The only sounds were the muffled voices of teachers from the classes on either side.

As they stood there, panicking, and Nicolás trying to decide what to do, a door right next to them opened with a bang. Peeves, the Poltergeist, came shooting out.

"Why, it's potty wee Potter!" cackled Peeves, knocking Harry's glasses askew as he bounced past him. "What's Potter up to? Why's Potter lurking —"

Peeves stopped, halfway through a midair somersault. Upside down, he spotted Justin and Nearly Headless Nick. He flipped the right way up, filled his lungs and, before Harry could stop him, screamed, "ATTACK! ATTACK! ANOTHER ATTACK! NO MORTAL OR GHOST IS SAFE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! ATTAAAACK!"

In the span of twenty seconds, door after door, the entire corridor started to flood out of their classrooms.

°°

Author's note

okaay, yes, I intend to have a redemption arc for Draco, 'cause he deserved much better.

I decided to take the ao3 headcanon of the Potter family being desi or related, idk, I really like it, I imagine them something like this:

- 𝐣. 𝐟. 𝐜. 🐼💜

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 61.2K 38
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...
76.7K 2K 19
'What you think about me That doesn't worry me I know I handle some things immaturely I know that I need to grow in maturity I ain't gon' walk on the...
Fake Love By :)

Fanfiction

158K 3.7K 50
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
2.3M 120K 65
โ†ณ โ [ INSANITY ] โž โ” yandere alastor x fem! reader โ”• ๐ˆ๐ง ๐ฐ๐ก๐ข๐œ๐ก, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...