What I Didn't See - Ao'nung X...

By _tkayla_

I was adopted at birth by the Sully family along with my twin sister Kiri. To say we were opposites was an u... More

Chapter 1 - The Sully Family
Chapter 2 - Tears
Chapter 3 - The Accident
Chapter 4 - Awakening
Chapter 5 - Metkayina Clan
Chapter 6 - The Way Of Water
Chapter 7 - The Bully And The Blood
Chapter 8 - Care
Chapter 9 - Rotxo
Chapter 10 - The Episode
Chapter 11 - Serious Talks
Chapter 12 - The Fight
Chapter 13 -Tthe Day Out
Chapter 14 - Unconciousness
Chapter 15 - Birthday presents
Chapter 16 - The Forest
Chapter 17 - Creatures
Chapter 18 - The Tulkun Return
Chapter 19 - Ao'nung
Chapter 20 - Threats
Chapter 21 - The Final battle.
Chapter 23 - I See You
Chapter 24 - Life
Chapter 25 - The Ending (pt 1)
Chapter 26 - The Ending (pt 2)

Chapter 22 - Peace

1.6K 31 2
By _tkayla_

I had waited for Iggy for a good half hour, calling out to him every minute hoping he would hear. hoping he was still alive and near. 

Iggy let out a few too many happy screeches when he saw me on a small island. I would have liked to hug him for longer than I did, but I had to get back to my family.

And when I saw them on that beach, I couldn't help but smile. 

I was off of Iggy before he even landed. The first to hug me was Kiri who sobbed uncontrollably. then it was my mother and father, and finally Lo'ak and Tuk. There was one missing though. 

I looked past all of the heads to see a body in the sand. lifeless as anything.

My family could feel me let go of the hug and responded quickly, pulling apart and letting me through. I crouched down over my brother. 

"Neteyam?" my eyes wondered over his body and to his chest. dried blood. "Neteyam"

It felt like a stone was stuck in my throat. a knife was stabbing into my chest.

Why did it have to be him. Neteyam. The eldest. The one that was supposed to protect his siblings until the end of time. The one that was most caring. The one that was most loving. Most needed. 

We all needed him. He kept this family together. One of the 7 pieces of the puzzle. And of course a puzzle is not complete with a piece missing. 

"Neteyam. Get up." Nothing. "Neteyam. brother please" 

the pleads wouldn't stop. I couldn't help it. I needed him to know that I loved him and that I miss him. That I knew he loved me. 

"Seze" a soft voice called out. My father placed his hands on my shoulders. "he is gone."

I wanted to turn to my father and scream at him. Ask him how he could say that. How he could let himself believe it. 

But it was as clear as day. He was gone and there was no way to get him back. 

"he is at peace" My mother whispered by my side. She placed her hand on my knee, getting my attention. 

I looked into her red eyes. It pained me to see a woman I saw as the strongest in existence, so broken.

The tears came then. Before my mother could react, I was already wrapping my arms around her neck and sobbing into her shoulder. 

all of the pain and exhaustion of the weeks I had been away were added onto the pain of my brothers death. 

After a few minutes, we were approached by Ronal. In her hands, a basket. 

"you said she was shot and burned" she announced, looking to my father with an annoyed expression. 

"she is..." he looked over my body. "was" No one could take their eyes off of me now. 

They were only just realising. Just a few cuts and bruises were left over. And in place of the gun wounds and burns were scars. 

light, silvery scars. It was all anyone could see. 

"I was healed. Velek healed me."

Shock was placed on both Ronal and Tonowari's faces. 

"Velek are not real. They are a myth, legend." Tonowari called out, stepping forward. 

"not anymore" I replied, wiping tears from my cheeks. It felt weird. I had been able to cover the most of my face from the fire when Quaritch threw me in in hopes of finally killing me. 

He had tried a few times. Shooting me and throwing me into the ocean. But the Velek had saved me every time. Somehow healing each shot, giving me breath through connecting the bond. 

When Quaritch shot me one last time, throwing me into the fire in front of my family, the Velek ran after me, grabbing me and pulling me into the ocean to heal me. My arms, torso and legs were most effected, but the Velek had managed to turn them into light scars. 

My skin that was once smooth and soft was now bumpy and looked like it had been through hell. 

"It is true sir, we all saw them." Kiri said, trying to help me. it was hard to get Tonowari and Ronal to believe us since non of us were from the reef clans. 

"And you bonded with them?"

"I didn't have much of a choice. I passed out and when I woke up, there was one connected. every time I was thrown back in, they would come and heal me. The only way they could do that was to make the bond."

"how is this possible. You should be dead. All of you should be dead" Ronal yelled. She was quite flustered. 

"All I know is they saved me and they listened to me. As far as im concerned, they aren't all that evil. I think they have just been given a bad wrap"

"despite the fact they they did not in fact eat any hearts of the people they killed, I do agree." Kiri added. 

"they are creatures not of the balance. Not of Eywa-"

"And neither am I." Ronal was shocked at my interruption. But she soon realised I was right in a way. I could not connect with Eywa. There had to be some kind of connection.

Silence fell between the group. Ronal picked up her things and walked to the Maruis, her Kids following behind. 

Tonowari stayed to help my mother and father take Neteyam to be prepared for the ceremony tonight. 

Tuk grabbed my hand as we started to walk towards our Marui. 

"I am happy you are safe" she whispered. "you are home."

A smile crept onto my face. Despite all of the pain that had been endured the past weeks, Tuk managed to make me feel a sense of calm and happiness. 

and it was true. I was home. Home with my family. Home with my loved ones. Home with the ones I cared for more than anything. 

xxx

Tuk was fast asleep. Not much was said between Lo'ak, Kiri, Spider and I. I certainly didn't want to talk about my time away and non of us had many happy memories from the past few days. 

There was no chance I was going to sleep. Any time I closed my eyes, all I saw was death. 

Tue'fay

Fàlin

Anu'tim

Neteyam. 

What felt like hundreds of others. 

I couldn't stay still. I had to get up. Go somewhere. But we weren't allowed to leave the village. No one was allowed in the water. So the only place I could go, was the Dock near our Marui. Far away enough from my family, close enough they would know Where I was.

I sat down and let my feet dangle in the water. It wasn't long before I wasn't alone any longer though. 

Tsireya sat down next to me. 

I gave her a quick smile before looking back out to the water. 

"I am glad you are safe. Your family was looking for you every second they had. We all were." I had never known Tsireya to be sad. but her voice said it all. hearing her so broken made it very hard to keep my emotions in. 

"I'm glad im safe too."

"Ao'nung was worried sick. I think he blames himself." My head snapped to Tsireya for answers. "he told us that he saw you before you left. He knew you were going. Our parents were so furious with him he wasn't allowed in the water for weeks. And when he found out you were taken...I don't think he will ever forgive himself."

"it wasn't his fault. It wouldn't have mattered what he said. I would have gone anyway." I explained. "are you trying to make me feel bad?"

"no. no I'm not." Tsireya let out a sigh. "I know this is stupid me saying this with everything that's going on. But my brother cares for you. He really does. He was an absolute dickhead to your family-"

"tsireya"

"I know. But he was. And he sees that. But while you were gone, he did everything he could to help them feel just that bit better. He was nicer to them then he ever was with me. He Neteyam and Lo'ak all got quite close, it wasn't often you wouldn't see them all together. Rotxo too. I mean Rotxo and Kiri seemed to get a bit close if you know what I mean."

Tsitreya looked to me with a smile. I could see the tears in her eyes but her smile was happy. 

"I heard your family talking about you. Your struggles with them and with Eywa. They all love you unconditionally and even with this Eywa complication, you are just as equal as everyone else. Just as loved."

I looked down to the sea covering my feet. "thank you" was all I could get out without tears slipping from my eyes. 

I felt that hugging her would be a little weird considering we hadn't spent much time together, but she was onto it before I could think any further. I didn't hesitate to hug her back. 

We let go after a good minute, both wiping the silent tears that had fallen. 

"I am sorry about Neteyam. He had made such a big impact on this clan. He was a loving brother. He will certainly be missed." I nodded while she stood up. "My mother doesn't want us leaving the house. I should head back."

looked up to her and gave her another smile while she turned to walk home. before she could get too far she turned back with a smile. "I think your scars are badass by the way."

xxx

A few more hours passed before our parents returned. It was time to get ready. Only quite questions were asked.

"could you tie up my top?"

"could you fix my hair?"

"is this ok?"

My mother came up to me while I was placing on my last item of jewellery. A bracelet Neteyam had made for me when we were younger. When we were closer. He had made one for me and I one for him. 

"What did they do to your hair?" she asked quietly. more to herself then me. 

My hair had been ripped in some places as though someone grabbed chunks of it and cut it shorter than the rest. 

"I think half of it was from the velek. They had very sharp claws."

my mother tutted before taking out all of the braids, nothing but the few dreads left. 

"I say cut it all off" My father said jokingly from next to his mate. He was trying to lighten the mood a little but even he was too upset to do so. 

"What did people from earth call them? Buzz cuts?" I asked. trying my best to help him.

"that's right." he replied, trying to form a smile. 

"for now we will pin it. Try make it neat. We will have to cut it I am afraid." My mother said, not caring for the mood. 

I didn't blame her. 

xxx

one by one, families took their loved ones they had lost in the battle out into the sea and watched as they were taken away. 

We were last. All 7 of us had made our way out, looking under the water as our parents took Neteyam down. Out the corner of my eye I could see Lo'ak breaking down. He felt it was his fault. 

I held onto Tuks hand. She was young but she understood what was going on. The water started to wash away her tears. She wasn't going to be able to breath of she stayed under water. 

I hugged the girl and swam us to the surface. Once we were up she burst into tears and wrapped her arms around me. 

I had never been much of a comforter so all I could do was hold onto her and keep her above the water while she cried. 

I looked up to try and hold back the tears of my own. But instead I was met with shock. 

A star. It was not new, but it was certainly brighter. 

Right next to the star I had decided to be my mothers star long ago. 

Neteyam. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192K 5.8K 74
[ on-going &. under editing ] The Billionaires Maid Book 3 [PLAGIARISM IS A CRIME] All right reserved 2022 ©MissAshemae ps: The image/picture used f...
371K 8.9K 47
Juri Kurosawa was known as the quiet chubby girl of Teiko Middle School, even though she was close with the strongest basketball team within schools...
150K 2.7K 58
~~ Unrealistic fanfiction ~~ At the age of 21, Lydia Drake has a lot going for her. Moving to LA to be with her best friend, Tara, she had a job line...
6.1K 128 15
Sequel to 'Fire and Shadows' After she is reunited with her lover, Anya helps the Darkling find Alina, so they can continue their plan to control the...