Chapter 22 - Peace

I had waited for Iggy for a good half hour, calling out to him every minute hoping he would hear. hoping he was still alive and near. 

Iggy let out a few too many happy screeches when he saw me on a small island. I would have liked to hug him for longer than I did, but I had to get back to my family.

And when I saw them on that beach, I couldn't help but smile. 

I was off of Iggy before he even landed. The first to hug me was Kiri who sobbed uncontrollably. then it was my mother and father, and finally Lo'ak and Tuk. There was one missing though. 

I looked past all of the heads to see a body in the sand. lifeless as anything.

My family could feel me let go of the hug and responded quickly, pulling apart and letting me through. I crouched down over my brother. 

"Neteyam?" my eyes wondered over his body and to his chest. dried blood. "Neteyam"

It felt like a stone was stuck in my throat. a knife was stabbing into my chest.

Why did it have to be him. Neteyam. The eldest. The one that was supposed to protect his siblings until the end of time. The one that was most caring. The one that was most loving. Most needed. 

We all needed him. He kept this family together. One of the 7 pieces of the puzzle. And of course a puzzle is not complete with a piece missing. 

"Neteyam. Get up." Nothing. "Neteyam. brother please" 

the pleads wouldn't stop. I couldn't help it. I needed him to know that I loved him and that I miss him. That I knew he loved me. 

"Seze" a soft voice called out. My father placed his hands on my shoulders. "he is gone."

I wanted to turn to my father and scream at him. Ask him how he could say that. How he could let himself believe it. 

But it was as clear as day. He was gone and there was no way to get him back. 

"he is at peace" My mother whispered by my side. She placed her hand on my knee, getting my attention. 

I looked into her red eyes. It pained me to see a woman I saw as the strongest in existence, so broken.

The tears came then. Before my mother could react, I was already wrapping my arms around her neck and sobbing into her shoulder. 

all of the pain and exhaustion of the weeks I had been away were added onto the pain of my brothers death. 

After a few minutes, we were approached by Ronal. In her hands, a basket. 

"you said she was shot and burned" she announced, looking to my father with an annoyed expression. 

"she is..." he looked over my body. "was" No one could take their eyes off of me now. 

They were only just realising. Just a few cuts and bruises were left over. And in place of the gun wounds and burns were scars. 

light, silvery scars. It was all anyone could see. 

"I was healed. Velek healed me."

Shock was placed on both Ronal and Tonowari's faces. 

"Velek are not real. They are a myth, legend." Tonowari called out, stepping forward. 

"not anymore" I replied, wiping tears from my cheeks. It felt weird. I had been able to cover the most of my face from the fire when Quaritch threw me in in hopes of finally killing me. 

He had tried a few times. Shooting me and throwing me into the ocean. But the Velek had saved me every time. Somehow healing each shot, giving me breath through connecting the bond.