Chapter 9 - Rotxo

I lay on the beach alone with my eyes shut. Nothing but the sound of birds, water and unwelcome footsteps approaching me.

I was hoping for a peaceful morning before having to spend the whole day with the reef kids and my siblings.

I had not felt the feeling of being cared or loved since the other day with Tuk.

It was overwhelming really. This slight feeling of love and care towards me then in a flash it was gone. Why now? Why fom Tuk? Why?

After seeing this new found care and love through Tuk, I realised that that sickening feeling I had been feeling every time I looked to my family, was my love for them. A protective feeling over them.

But also a slight feeling of their love for me. However, it was not like what I had felt with Tuk, that was more noticeable. And personal.

This other feeling was weak and unfamiliar. But it was something. And I tried so hard to hold onto that and focus on it. But it was very draining.

I needed my personal space, and I knew that I had gotten used to the feeling of being alone. Attached even.

Every morning, I would wake just as the sun rose. I would walk to the beach and sit on my own. Then at night, before dinner, I would leave again.

My parents had asked where I went on my daily outings. But how was I supposed to tell them that it was to get away from my them? That I left because I did not want to spend my time with them but by myself.

These times with myself were calming. I felt at peace with myself. When I was at peace with myself I felt comfortable, and I found through my years that when I was calm and comfortable, I was happier. More open.

But the issue was, I was rarely calm with my family around. Things were always happening and I could never just rest.

But alone in the fresh morning or night air. It was as though the world had just stopped turning.

“Hello” the unwelcome Na’vi had a raspy voice. They had clearly just woken. I could barely recognise the voice because of it.

“If you are here to bully me, I wouldn’t waste the time,” I replied back, My eyes closed, not really feeling like communicating with whomever it was.

But they approached anyway, their footsteps stopping once they had reached my body.

“I come in peace” The Na’vi explained in a high-pitched voice. My curiosity got the best of me, and I opened my eyes. Standing over me was Rotxo with a small smile plastered on his face.

He pointed to the spot next to me with raised eyebrows. He was asking to join me. I let out a sigh through my nose before nodding tiredly.

He dropped to the ground, lying next to me with his hands on his stomach.

“I thought you were Ao’nung or something” I said quietly, turning away from the boy and looking at the sky.

Rotxo let out a hum, sniffing in the cold morning air. He had something on his mind. That much was clear. I looked at the boy, reaching over to give him a light tap on the arm.

I was too calm as I would have never done this with my family at home.

“Ao’nung isn’t a bad guy” the boy spoke quietly as though he was ashamed of what he was saying.

“he bullies my family…what is nice about that?” I asked, looking as the boy turned to me with a cringed face.

“I know. I know. But that is only because you look different. I mean, he used to tease Tsireya when they were younger because she had frizzier hair than him…now she works on it for an hour each morning, so she is ‘approvable’ in Ao’nungs eyes.”

“and you say he is nice” I whisper back in disgust.

“But she knows that he wouldn’t care if she didn’t spend that hour each day on it.” The boy pulled himself up, crossing his legs and turning my way. “They are close…they both do things to please the other.” I let out a hum in response, not entirely sure if I could believe him or not.

“anyway…he doesn’t bully you because you look different. He does it because you are different.” Rotxo widened his eyes at what he had said, looking at my offended features that were clearly exaggerated. “No. no, no, no, no. I didn’t mean that you are different like-no I didn’t mean it like that-“ the boy stopped himself, afraid he might say something else that would sound offensive.