Chapter 5 - Metkayina Clan

It turned out we were almost to our destination. Just a few hours after our stop, we saw the islands, crying out to the reef people. We all landed down one by one. Kiri, who I had been riding with in case I was to pass out again, held onto me till Neteyam rushed over to help me down.

I took it as slow as possible as they led me towards the rest of the family. It turned out I had a very bad cut on my right leg, making it very hard to walk. My mother looking back to see if I was alright before focusing back on the reef Na’vi.

Their skin was lighter and tails and arms thicker, probably for better swimming ability.

I wasn’t going to lie. I was scared. I was scared about what was going to happen to us. I was scared that we weren’t going to be accepted and maybe even hurt by these new Na’vi. Especially since I only found out a few hours earlier. I hadn’t had the time to prepare myself for this much change.

We waited for the Olo’eyktan and Tsahìk. Instead, we were greeted by children about our age. The 2 boys pointed to Lo’ak first while Neteyam made his way over, leaving to support his brother. They asked why they looked the way they did when we could have asked the exact same question. Then one of the boys turned to Kiri and me.

“Must be clumsy too” the boy with a tooth stung from his neck mumbled to his friend pointing to me. They both laughed a little.

I looked at my bandaged leg, scab lined limbs and torso. The purple spots doted over my body. I felt the painful feeling in my head and focused on it a little too much, starting to feel faint.

Kiri noticed this as my weight shifted onto herself. She gave my arm a light squeeze, trying to bring me back.

Of course, what I didn’t see was the boy from earlier staring at me a little longer. Looking over my features and wondering what had in fact happened to me to get the many cuts and bruises. The feeling of sympathy.

Kiri noticed the 2 boys and walked around to my other side so they were looking at her rather than me. She was protective like that. She always saw me as the younger sister when we were only minutes apart.

I looked to the 2 boys as they continued to talk about Neteyam and Lo’ak. There was a girl too. She had slapped the boys arms away from pointing and apologised to my brothers. I saw the look Lo’ak was giving her.

Of course.

The Olo’eyktan and Tsahìk, Tonowari and Ronal, had arrived and had been talking to my mother and father. The Tsahìk had insulted my father, accusing him of running away rather than fighting when he was Toruk Makto. But to me this was him being brave.

He was brave enough to do what was right. He didn’t run because he was scared for his life. He ran because it was what needed to be done in order to protect his family and the clan. He had seen how much devastation the clan had been through because of the sky people, and he didn’t want to bring that back.

The woman walked around, grabbing my mother’s tail, turning around us, and inspecting us. She turned to Kiri and I.

I must say, we didn’t look much like our parents. Especially me. I barely even looked like my sister.

She grabbed my chin, turning my face to look at her. She looked angry. Rage filled her eyes. But I kept my cool as much as I could, not wanting to disappoint my family by flinching away from the woman. But most of all, fainting in her hands.

As she held my jaw, she looked across my body, investigating each cut and bruise, resting on the bandage on my leg.

“What happened to this one?” she asked, turning to my parents as though I was some sort of animal being auctioned off.