Chapter 4 - Awakening

Neteyams pov:

“Silly girl” My grandmother called when she saw all the cuts and bruises lining my sister's body. “what did she do this time?”

I sat down next to my sister, not quite believing what I was hearing. Her granddaughter was unconscious in front of her but she had the audacity to call her out for not being good enough. Clumsy and reckless.

Mother” I looked up to my mother who had been spoken quite loudly. Almost yelling. She was giving the older woman an angry look. She had tears in her eyes. Tuk was clung to her leg, looking over her older sister's limp body, tears of her own starting to drop down her cheek.

“She did nothing wrong.” Mother shouted, pointing to the woman quite violently.

“Tuk, come on. How about I get you cleaned up” I looked up to Lo’ak who held his hand out for Tuk to take. She hesitated at first, looking up at our mother who held a hand on the back of her head. But the girl nodded when she started to yell once more, quickly rushing off with Lo’ak, out of the hut.

Kiri sat next to me, lightly stroking the hair from our sisters face. She had tears streaming down her face. While listening to our mother. I had already told the girl what had happened, thinking she would hate more for it. But once I explained, all she had done was hug me.

“Neteyam wasn’t watching here he was going…your granddaughter almost died.” Her voice broke at her own words. “she still could” she muttered with her hand on her forehead, pacing the room. “have you no love or care for her?” I saw Kiri’s ears prick at the sound of our mothers yells. She shouldn’t have to hear this.

“Kiri, we should go” I whispered to her, placing a hand on her knee.

“maybe.” my grandmother started, looking to her daughter with just as much rage “she should have been watching where she was flying…and anyone who cannot commune with Eywa has no relationship with me. She is no granddaughter to me”

“Kiri...lets go” I said a little more forcefully. I could see the anger in her eyes. She loved our grandmother. We all did. But Kiri got highly sensitive when she would talk bad things about Seze.

I grabbed her hand and stood up, trying to get her out of the hut. But she would not budge.

“Mother!…that is enough.” the younger woman shouted. The more she spoke the louder she got.

“Kiri, Neteyam…go find your siblings.” We both turned to our father, who stood at the door, talking in a hushed tone.

“Father-“ kiri went to protest but he gave her a stern look.

“Now” He replied back softly. Not daring to raise his voice in front of the 2 angry women. Kiri stood up and followed after me, linking her arm with mine.

Kiri and I went to find Lo’ak and Tuk. But we found them in only a few seconds, hiding out  at the back of the medical hut, peeping in on what was happening. But we heard no yelling coming from the women as our grandmother had stormed out.

Our mother crouched down next to Seze, starting to patch her daughter up, cleaning her wounds.

Seze and I used to be close. She was like a copy and paste of myself but female. She was my little sister and I loved her dearly. For years now she had always been upset and distant for most of her time with us. We knew that there was something bad in her head. Something bad that made her isolate. And we knew it had something to do with her lost connection with Eywa. But we never knew what it was. We all had our suspicions.

My whole family cherished the times she would smile and talk with us. But with all of the event of the past few days, we all knew that if she was to wake up, she wouldn’t have any good days for a while.

“My mother has crossed a line now.” Neytiri whispered. Soon our father walked up to her, crouching down on the other side of Seze, passing his mate different herbs and what not. “I mean, she said that she can not have a relationship with Seze if she cannot commune with Eywa.” Father let out a sigh, not knowing what to say.

“she didn’t even ask if she was alright. Only what she had done…I explained to her but even then she blamed the girl” I felt my ears twitch at this. My grandmother could not take my mistakes out on my sister. She did nothing wrong.