Rising Rays of the New Centur...

KageNishi által

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... Több

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Occupation of Mars
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars

66 5 0
KageNishi által

April 16, 2199

Mars

The 3rd City Seleno Aqua, Northern Ocean Coast

On the day of the hastily decided inspection of Seleno Aqua by the Union's Queen, government officials, police officers, and soldiers from the International Federation Space Forces were scrambling about in the city. While the Queen's Court had asserted, that they don't need to be secured by Earthlings, the Martian Administrative Agency had made security arrangements throughout Seleno Aqua in conjunction with the IFSF as a precaution. Not only government workers were anxious. At the Neo-Venetian Company, one of Seleno Aqua's top tourist guide companies famous for the female gondoliers, the "gondolieras," were hastily preparing the gondolas.

"I can't believe we're going to have aliens on board..."

"I'm so nervous...!"

At the request of the Queen's Court and with the hope of the inspection tour of Seleno Aqua by the Space Drifters Union, a water route exploration with the famous gondolas was included. Initially, the Earthlings had advised against it due to the risk of assassination, but the response came back, "Earthlings need not worry," so they proceeded as requested.

"Miss Aria, are you the one who will be taking the Queen? Isn't it dangerous...?"

"Oh dear, you're worried, aren't you? I'll be just fine."

The woman referred to as "Miss" smiled gently as she floated her gondola on the water's surface.

Gondola operations in Seleno Aqua were managed by several private companies, with the largest being the Neo-Venetian Company, which is why they were chosen by the Martian Administrative Agency.

"Now, let's go."

"...Sure!"

Guided by the gondolier known as the "Spirit of Seleno Aqua," Aria Vephana-Daidouji, the graceful spirits of the water rowed out into the Martian sea with an unprecedented sense of tension, tasked with welcoming unknown invaders.

Salva Waterfront, Seleno Aqua

At the harbor of Salva Island, one of the islands belonging to Seleno Aqua and the gateway to the open sea, members of the IF delegation, high-ranking officials from the Martian Administrative Agency, and soldiers from the IFSF had gathered. Local police were also deployed at various locations, maintaining a strict security posture.

"...Secretary-General, the representatives from the Queen's Court will arrive shortly."

"Alright."

A subordinate whispered to Murei, the Chief Administrator of Mars. A few seconds later, a small airship departed from the Queen's Court and descended toward the harbor. Operated by a completely different propulsion system from Earth's spacecraft, it landed almost silently on the pier. Finally, the Queen appeared before the people of Earth.

"...That's the Queen!"

Reporters authorized by the Administrative Agency simultaneously took photographs. Queen Riza, who didn't appear like she had been to a war zone, gracefully descended onto the Martian soil with an elegant smile. In front of the gangway, soldiers from the IFSF were lined up, forming a pathway for the Queen's entourage. Along with her, the Chairman of the Queen's Court, Lothrie and other senior officials, as well as the Royal Guard under the Queen's direct command, also appeared. Ahead of the IF guards of honor leading the procession were a line of official vehicles prepared by the Seleno Aqua City Hall, including one vehicle provided by the Queen's Court itself. For this inspection, the Queen's Court was responsible for the Queen's security. Therefore, they had prearranged the vehicles for the Queen's transportation within the city.

"Welcome, Your Majesty, the Queen of the Union. I am Akihiro Murei, serving as the Chief Administrator of Mars, the fourth planet in the solar system."

"Riza-Griant Alzawall, Queen of the Space Drifters Union. Today, I look forward to our agenda."

Murei, the de facto head of Mars, stood before the line of official vehicles and welcomed the Queen. Their words were instantly translated into each other's languages by automatic translation devices, exchanging smiles and creating a friendly atmosphere.

"We have prepared a modest welcoming ceremony at the Seleno Aqua City Hall."

"We appreciate your kindness."

At Murei's urging, the Queen boarded the official vehicle provided by her Court. Other senior officials and guards followed suit, boarding the vehicles one by one. Led by soldiers from the IFSF and local police on motorcycles and patrol cars, the procession carrying distinguished guests from the far reaches of space made its way toward the city center and the City Hall.

Main Hall, Seleno Aqua City Hall

After being submerged, the city hall of Seleno Aqua, rebuilt as a tourist waterfront city, was designed to resemble Renaissance architecture inspired by the original Venice. Inside, paintings adorned the ceilings and walls, creating a truly luxurious and splendid atmosphere. The guests from the Queen's Court were witnessing a culture entirely different from their own and gazed at these artworks with great interest.

They were then guided to the grand hall where a welcome ceremony was being held. There, members of the Seleno Aqua Symphony Orchestra, invited by the Administrative Agency, were playing background music.

"...? What is that?"

The Queen looked at the orchestra and asked an honest question. Murei, who was standing nearby, answered. "They are the premier professional orchestra on this planet, Mars. They warmly welcome your visit."

The dispatched orchestra members were performing Mendelssohn's Spring Song. The Earth delegation was listening with admiration to the performance. However, the Union's reaction was quite different from what the Earth side had anticipated.

"Do Earthlings really use such instruments to make music?"

"...Huh?"

One of the Queen's Court officials, a Kyrite man, raised a question. They had a culture of 'music,' but the concept of making it with 'instruments' was absent. Having passed through an extremely advanced mechanical civilization, they had a very faint notion of doing something with their own hands or creating something themselves. This also applied to 'warfare.' Their space battleships, fighter aircraft, and massive androids for ground control were mostly operated automatically by AI.

"In ancient Kyrie, there was also a culture of 'performance.' It's very interesting that the culture we discarded still exists on Earth."

In contrast to the officials, the Queen was genuinely interested in Earth's culture. However, the implied "primitive" nature of it made Murei furrow his brow slightly. Afterward, the Earth hosts and the Union Queen's entourage took their seats at a long table facing each other. Before them were Venetian glass wine glasses and Imari Japanese tableware. Waiters and waitresses went around pouring drinks into each guest's glass in turn. Since the Union did not have a culture of alcohol consumption, soft drinks were provided instead. Murei, the host and Chief Administrator of Mars, stood up with a glass in his hand.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Space Drifters Union and the International Federation delegation, though it may be modest, we have arranged a luncheon for you here in Seleno Aqua. Using specially sourced natural ingredients from Earth, our finest chefs here in Seleno Aqua have put forth their best efforts. We hope that all of you from the Union can experience Earth's culinary culture."

As a signal of Murei's speech, the waiters and waitresses entered the grand hall once more. They served an antipasto (appetizer) featuring sausages, smoked cheese, and pickled seasonal vegetables, beautifully presented with a variety of colors.

"What is this?"

"Is this... food?"

The Union officials couldn't even recognize what was in front of them as food. The Earthlings had to explain what these items were and what cheese and sausages were made of. Food on celestial bodies, including Mars, relied on the mass production of genetically modified grains known as "Five-Color Wheat" from the (alternate) 28th century. These grains were processed using food processing machines, combined with familiar ingredients such as meat and other vegetables, to create various dishes to cater to the food situation on each planet.

However, on Mars, which had become entirely within the range of human activity, soil modification projects were underway, and in some areas, natural crop cultivation was already taking place on the surface. Furthermore, there were plans for the transplantation of Earth's aquatic species into the Martian oceans.

"Do Earthlings really go through all this trouble for their meals?"

"...I can't fathom this kind of culture."

Unlike Earth, where the culture of "cooking" by human hands thrived, the people of the Union had entirely abandoned this culture and couldn't fathom the value of what was presented before them. The Union's food was synthesized by combining water and organic elements, and then distributed to various races. Because the culture of cooking had been completely discarded, for them, meals were merely a means of replenishing nutrition. However, Queen Riza, her eyes sparkling like a young girl's, picked up a fork and carried these dishes into her mouth.

"What a strange sensation... so this is the taste of Earth!"

While the Union officials hesitated, worrying about hygiene and the presence of poisons, Queen Riza, in contrast, continued to enjoy the antipasto, one dish after another. Later on, as the Primo Piatto (first course), they brought in a carpaccio of white fish, which had been frozen and imported from Earth, and as the main course, "Basil Sautéed Chicken."

Of course, to the Queen's Court officials, who were unfamiliar with both fish and livestock, these items were completely foreign, and they cautiously tasted them, one by one, with apprehension.

As the luncheon approached its midpoint, the room suddenly darkened, and screens descended from the ceiling. Then, Murei, the host, began a presentation.

"Excuse me for interrupting your meal. I would like to take this opportunity to introduce Mars and Earth to the members of the Queen's Court. Please lend me your ears."

Murei started explaining about Mars. Both sets of participants turned their attention to the screens.

"The planet we are on right now, Mars, is the fourth planet in the solar system. It used to be a frigid planet covered in a thin atmosphere and barren deserts. After nearly a century of effort by humanity, we have transformed this planet into a habitable environment for humans."

Murmurs and hushes erupted among the Queen's Court officials. Including the Queen herself, this was the first time they learned that Mars was a "terraformed planet." Starting in 2090 with Japan's terraforming project using 28th-century technology, the colonization progressed with cooperation from the IF, and Mars finally became a planet fit for human habitation.

"Today, this planet is the home of approximately 1,4 billion Earthlings. The primary industries are tourism and mining. Eighty percent of the surface is land, while twenty percent is covered by oceans. Most of the land consists of barren deserts with scattered oxygen-producing plant forests."

Mars, hosting the largest population outside of Earth, relied on underground mineral resource extraction and tourism centered around gambling. There were still untouched mineral veins on Mars, attracting numerous companies and organizations seeking quick riches, both legally and illegally, which significantly contributed to security issues.

The capital was the largest city, Suiryu, and it was governed under the jurisdiction of the Martian Administrative Office, a sub-organization of the IF specialized agency, the Space Development Organization. Therefore, although all celestial bodies, including Mars, were nominally under the IF's management, the practical reality was that the Space Development Organization was an extension of the Japanese government, and the administration of various celestial bodies was heavily influenced by the Japanese government's intentions.

Next, the slides changed, and a picture of the blue planet was displayed.

"This is our mother planet, Earth. Currently, Earth's population is approximately 5 billion. It's a water planet, with 30% of its surface being land and 70% covered by oceans. Home to around 87 million to 100 million species of life, including humans, animals, plants, and bacteria, it can truly be called a treasure trove of life."

A promotional video that seemed to advertise Earth played, showing images of blue seas, lush jungles, various life forms, and more. Watching the digest of these visuals, the participants of the Drifters Union were left in awe.

"However, Earth is a planet with extremely active surface activities. Nature doesn't only bestow blessings upon humanity but also reveals its fangs in the form of various disasters. If you want to live on Earth, adapting to these disasters is essential."

Murei mentioned Earth's natural disasters. The history of humanity has been a history of battling disasters, and this fact hasn't changed even in the 22nd century when science has advanced. Once the promotional video ended, Junta, the Secretary General of the IF, stood up.

"We, the International Federation, are considering... inviting all of you from the Queen's Court to Earth at some point. To achieve that, we believe that mutual compromise is essential."

Junta dangled the invitation to Earth as bait and subtly applied pressure, implying that they should accept the compromise proposal presented by the United Nations. The Chairman of the Queen's Court, Lothrie, sensed this and frowned slightly.

Afterward, the luncheon proceeded smoothly, and the aspirations of both sides to foster a friendly atmosphere were successfully realized. Following the conclusion of the luncheon, the Union's guests, who had experienced Earth's culinary culture for the first time, were once again led outside the city hall and boarded official vehicles to move around the city.

Piazza del Spirito del Aqua water plot, Seleno Aqua

The procession of official vehicles arrived at the Piazza del Spirito del Aqua, the number one tourist attraction in Seleno Aqua. This square, modeled after the Piazza San Marco, served as a gateway where many tourist gondolas docked. At the gondola docking station, gondolieras, often likened to water spirits, awaited the guests eagerly, each with their boats. Wearing their distinctive uniforms, they lined up in the square. The procession of official vehicles stopped in front of them, and the guests disembarked from the vehicles. Among them, Queen Riza descended onto the square, accompanied by her guards.

"Oh, so these are what you call gondolas," Queen Riza remarked as she looked around the square, showing an interest in the gondolas. A representative gondoliera, a blonde beauty, approached her.

"My name is Aria Vephana-Daidouji from the Neo-Venetian Company. Today, I will be your guide in Seleno Aqua. It is a great honor to host Your Majesty!" Aria said, bending one knee slightly and indicating the way to the gondolas. Naturally, security personnel cleared the area, and local police and IF troops were deployed. Additionally, a strict security system was in place along the planned water routes.

"Shall we proceed this way? We will escort all of you to our boats."

"Sure! Please, lead the way."

With Aria leading the way, a bright-eyed Queen Riza walked toward the gondola, holding her hand. They stepped onto the unsteady gondola from the pier. Other officials also nervously boarded the gondolas. Aria confirmed that everyone had boarded before releasing the mooring rope, detaching the gondola from the dock.

"Now, please enjoy your journey along the canals of Seleno Aqua!"

Aria stood at the back of the gondola and began rowing downstream. Her boat led the way, followed by the other gondolas. Representatives from Earth, including Murei and Junta, were also on the tour as organizers. The latter gazed anxiously at Queen Riza's gondola in the front.

"Is this really safe...?"

"They assured us of safety measures, Secretary General. Besides, we've implemented the highest level of security on our end."

In the same boat, Murei looked up at the arched stone bridge spanning the canal. Normally bustling with residents and tourists, there was no one in sight today. Glancing around, there were no water taxis or ferries, typically busy on this main street of Seleno Aqua known as the Subaru Canal.

"Yes, I understand that. But... are you sure we can trust this thing?"

Junta pointed to a small device, about 2 centimeters in size, attached to her suit's breast pocket. It was a "defense device" provided by the Union to Earth. It had an embedded AI that could detect external threats and deploy an electromagnetic barrier with a radius of about 5 meters, easily blocking projectiles equivalent to Earth-made rifles.

"The defense mechanism with its elusive and robust three-dimensional durability... It's undoubtedly alien technology. Even our Fusō don't have a barrier technology like that."

It was a widely recognized fact among Earth's leaders that the technology possessed by the Space Drifters Union is superior to that of even the 28th century Earth, where the Fusō came from. Murei and the others were once again reminded of this fact.

"...Please take a look over there. That building is an ancient church that predates the submergence of Seleno Aqua. It's the oldest religious institution in this city," Aria continued to guide them with a cheerful demeanor. It seemed that Queen Riza was genuinely enjoying the sights of Seleno Aqua.

The fleet of gondolas continued down the canal, passing under several bridges and eventually reaching the sea. The Martian sun, smaller than Earth's, shone brilliantly.

"Viewing Seleno Aqua from the sea offers a completely different perspective. This planet and this city are the fruits of tireless efforts by humanity."

"...I''s truly magnificent!"

Aria continued her proud narration. Queen Riza was deeply moved by the experience. The group of gondolas, carrying the VIPs from the Queen's entourage, returned to the city canals after circumnavigating the pier.

"Now, we'll return to the city center and head back to the Piazza del Spirito del Aqua."

With impressive steering skills, Aria maneuvered the boat without much effort. Other gondoliers followed her to stay close. Aria's gondola approached a large stone bridge spanning the canal. On the bridge, armed police officers stood watch, vigilant of their surroundings.

"This Neo-Rialto Bridge is a replica of the original Rialto Bridge in Venice, clearly modeled after it. It became a tourist attraction and the reason this city is known as the Venice of Mars," Aria continued with her explanations.

Queen Riza gazed up at the splendidly adorned stone bridge and sighed. Then, one of the police officers who had been communicating with someone suddenly looked down at them.

".........?"

Aria sensed something was amiss and tilted her head. Immediately after, the police officer climbed over the bridge's railing and jumped down onto Aria's gondola.

"...Your Majesty! Watch out!"

"...Huh?"

At that moment, the gondola rocked violently, and water splashed into the air. The police officer who had landed on the gondola remained silent, standing up and looking down at Queen Riza. The scene unfolded before the other gondolas, carrying officials from the Queen's entourage, as well as Murei and Junta.

"...Your Majesty!"

"Impossible! Why didn't the barrier activate!!?"

Lothrie, the Chairman of the Queen's Court, turned pale. The officials in his boat were bewildered by the fact that the defense device carried by the Queen hadn't worked.

"Goodness gracious... what do you think you're doing?" Aria, while shielding the Queen who was hiding behind her, questioned the police officer. The officer then raised his right arm to the sky and snapped his fingers. As a signal, the officer's appearance changed. The person they had thought was a police officer had actually been a suspicious individual wearing a holographic disguise.

"Queen Riza of the Union! I'm taking your head!"

The voice came from a girl. She drew a knife-like blade she had concealed and leaped toward the Queen.

"...Oh, dear."

Aria smirked as she extended her right hand towards the girl. At that moment, an invisible wall appeared in front of the girl, stopping her in mid-air.

"I beg your pardon, but this person is our valued customer. I can't let any harm come to her."

"This is... a magic barrier!"

The assassin girl, Itsuki Okubo, looked shocked. Aria Vephana-Daidouji, a descendant of a mage who came from another world of Terralus who emigrated to Japan, was not only the best gondolier of Seleno Aqua, but also the most powerful witch on Mars. That was the primary reason why the Martian Administrative Agency had requested her to entertain the Queen.

'...Darn it!'

Itsuki helplessly rebounded and was thrown into the sea. Afterward, she was rescued from the water by local police who arrived in a motorboat. She was detained as the perpetrator of the attack on the Queen.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

564K 38.8K 47
THE YEAR IS 2050. Human-like androids have become integrated into society and every household, becoming part of our daily lives. They look exactly li...
2.5K 207 181
Author: Sing-Shong, 싱숑 Alternative names: TWATF, 멸망 이후의 세계 Genre: Fantasy, Action, Drama, Adventure, Mystery Source: Unknown ... [ THE WORLD AFTER TH...
63.1K 2K 42
Akemi was the most powerful immortal of another world. Why did I say "was"? Oh, because he's been reincarnated into the body of a powerless 16 year o...
15.1K 430 33
"𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘴 𝘥𝘰𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘴? 𝘛𝘩𝘢𝘵'𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘧�...