A Deadly Bond

By Cora-the-explorer

Willow Ashen is a white wolf and never thought it was possible for her to get a mate as no one would be able... More

Chapter 1 - Glittering snow
Chapter 2 - Farewell
Chapter 3 - Departure
A/N: The characters
Chapter 4 - Mountains
Chapter 5 - Clothes
Chapter 6 - Creature
Chapter 7 - Delirium
Chapter 8 - Bittersweet arrival
A/N: Announcement!
Chapter 9 - Unfamiliar welcome
Chapter 10 - Silent solace
Chapter 11 - Remedy
A/N: Just a little update
Chapter 12 - Knocks
Chapter 13 - Trust
Chapter 14 - Tensions
A/N: Important update
Chapter 16 - Aftermath
A/N: An important update
Chapter 17 - Walls
Chapter 18 - Bitter
Chapter 19 - Enchanted
Chapter 20 - Deadly

Chapter 15 - Ceremony

665 25 8
By Cora-the-explorer

Since arriving to Legions kingdom, I've yet to see the castle as guarded as it is today, however so open at the same time. I suppose that is the reason for the large number of guards.

The great doors to the castle are wide open today, leading a never ending stream of people from the entire kingdom inside.

These past days leading up to the ceremony, I've had constant flares of anxiety however nothing quite like the feeling I have now, standing on my balcony peering over the many people bustling to get inside the grand halls of their kings fortress.

I'm thankful that no one has spotted me looking over the crowd, they're far to busy trying to soak in as much of the castle as possible. Thankfully with a castle as big as this, I'm nothing but a mere dot in the grand scheme.

As much as I'd like to tell myself that they're just here for Legion, I know I'd be wrong. They are here for me just as much, if not more. Here to see their new queen and luna. The looming dread thickens and I sigh as I step away from the balcony, distancing myself from the tormenting reminder of my newly gained popularity.

It was just a few weeks ago I was a nobody in my village, just another face in the crowd. But now I'm faced with responsibilities I never even thought imaginable for me.

"You're pouting." Marisa points out, shooting me a disapproving glare.

"I am not... I'm simply thinking." I say in my defense, which technically isn't incorrect.

She tsks at me and directs my attention to the white ceremonial dress that she's prepared for me to put on. "Robe off." She commands.

I roll my eyes. "Yes my lady."

"You're going to take their breaths away." She turns around allowing me to losen my robe in privacy and then I step into the dress. "I'll be surprised if a few of them don't faint all together at the sight of you." She exclaims and turns back around just in time for me to hide my body away under the still loose fabric by clinging it to my chest.

"Allow me." She walks behind me, making sure not to step on the any of the white fabric, before she starts tightening the dress by pulling the laces. "The ladies did a splendid job on this dress, it fits you like a glove."

She tugs until my lungs feel constricted. "Which reminds me, we should get gloves for the outfit!" Marisas words basically trip over one another.

"Easy, I'm the one who's supposed to be stressing." I calmly state and turn around to put my hands gently on her shoulders. "And... I think I'll do without gloves, thank you."

She exhales nervously. "Of course, I'm being silly." She runs a hand through her hair looking somewhat nervous as well. "I Just want this day to be perfect, for you, for Legion, for the whole kingdom even."

I attempt to swallow a lump that's formed in my throat before facing the mirror in front of us. "Me too..." I say as I stare at my timorous reflection.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Once again I stand before the infinite doors in red only this time the room beyond them isn't empty.

"Your Highness?." One of the guards in front of the doors questions, silently asking if I'm ready to walk in.

I shake my head, not quite ready yet. The guard nods his head curtly and goes back to avoiding eye contact with me. I scan the hall in which I'm waiting, it's filled with at least ten guards. It should comfort me but it doesn't... I can't help but feel that there's a reason for the amount of security needed.

"Excuse me...?" I direct my attention at the guard who had just spoken to me not to long ago and he looks back at me with confusion until he finally understands my intention of learning his name. "Elex." He finishes my sentence.

"Elex, how come there's so many guards today."

He looks taken aback, I don't know if it's because I'm speaking directly to him or because my question hit a nerve but either way he replies somewhat with confidence. "Your Highness, it is because the King has ordered for us to keep you safe."

The answer is just as I suspected and I lower my head slightly as an odd feeling of disappointment spreads within me, as if I wanted the answer to be different and perhaps reveal some secrets, so I press on. "But isn't this a bit excessive?"

"I doubt the King has limitations on your safety Your Highness." He looks at me with slight confusion like he doesn't understand why I'm questioning these matters.

"Of course, you're right, I'm just nervous." I say with an awkward laugh and the guards face lightens a bit.

I redirect my attention to the doors in front of me and take a deep breath whilst closing my eyes. Not a single sound has escaped the room, if I didn't know better I'd think it was empty. I reopen my eyes and step towards the doors. "I'm-" I begin but my voice cracks and a strong sensation of nausea overtakes my senses.

The two guards in front of the doors look at me expectantly so I try again and nod my head. "I'm ready."

With that they push upon the large crimson doors and unfortunately they open quicker than I had hoped.

I hear several gasps from within the room but I can't see anything yet due to the radical light difference. It is dark in the ceremonial hall and it takes my eyes a few seconds to adjust and by the time I can make out the scene in front of me, the doors have fully open and it's time for me to walk down the long aisle.

I quickly try to recall what Marisa and I practiced earlier.

Walk down the aisle.

Stand next to Legion.

Simple...

My body moves involuntary before I get a chance to overthink it, as if it has a mind of its own yet again, perhaps my body doesn't want to be humiliated or perhaps I'm drawn to my mate but either way I'm grateful.

As I move as much as the dress allows, hopefully looking somewhat graceful. I try to keep my head facing forward, however I do sense the endless stares from all around even if I can't see them.

Thankfully my shoes are without high heels, despite Marisas many protests against it, minimizing my chance for falling by quite a bit.

I can't spot Legion yet, the light from the hall I had just waited in disrupts my vision in this dark room so instead I daringly shift my eyes to look around subtly.

The room is lit up with more candles than I've ever seen in my life, it's truly beautiful. As my seeing sense is activated so is my other senses that had earlier been tampered with by my nausea.

Magical tunes reach my ears. A choir must be singing from somewhere within these walls along with musicians who are playing on harps.

The soothing sounds work their magic to calm me but just as I find some sort of comfort in their embrace the invasive sound of doors closing behind me reach my ears. I jump slightly but keep moving nonetheless, hoping no one saw my reaction.

Now that the room is fully darkened, it suddenly comes to life. The shiny marble floors, the red tint of the room, the never ending seats- now occupied by way to many people for my liking- it's as it was earlier.

The windows above are also as they were before except now the moon is shining through and not the sun. This comes to my attention shortly before I step into the light casted in front of me by the moon beaming through the window onto the rest of the aisle.

The more I move into the light the brighter it seems but when I tear my eyes away from the powerful moon, it becomes clear to me that it is in fact me who is being illuminated, to be more specific, the dress I'm wearing. It must be made with some sort of fabric that makes it glow when the moon graces it.

The gasps around me yet again confirm my fears: I'm now fully visible to everyone as I walk down the aisle in the shine of the moon.

The nausea returns with tenfold. Perhaps they're noticing that I'm not normal! Is my hair to easy of a giveaway?

My thoughts end there as my eyes are drawn to a pair of alluring silver eyes. These are the familiar eyes that draw me in like none other and my brain has quickly replaced whatever worry I had with a goal to reach Legion.

He stands tall on the platform in front of the balcony looking striking with the glow of the moon emanating from behind him.

He is wearing a black suit, one that only royals wear. It looks like something only a true king would wear, it's magnificent. Under his black coat is a dark blue shirt with white embroidery, it's hard to take my eyes off the intricate details of the design.

My eyes wander more exploring the man ahead of me. His black hair is slicked back however a lose strand does find itself lost as it hangs over his eyebrow. On his head sits a golden crown with all sorts of riches adorned on it. It's stunning beauty fits Legion and it leaves me momentarily breathless.

The closer I get the more clear it becomes that Legion isn't planning on letting me out of his sight any time soon, his eyes are fixed on me, studying even the smallest details about me.

My legs start to feel wobbly but not because I'm nervous it's because I can tell that Legion is delighted underneath his hard exterior. I doubt anyone can see it but me. To others he probably looks like their usual steadfast King. To me however he looks like so much more.

The weight of the dress suddenly doesn't feel so heavy anymore and before I know it I'm right in front of the platform and Legion, looking up at him through my lashes with an unwavering gaze that's shared between the two of us.

He reaches a hand out in front of me, offering me support to get up the few steps in front of me, all the while the music plays on.

I slowly grab his hand and I'm instantly overcome with a warm electrical feeling, one I never seem to get used to no matter how many times we touch.

He thankfully steadies me as I timidly walk up the steps, all the while never breaking eye contact with me. I wonder if I even would've been able to get up here if it wasn't for his hand. Even once I've reached my place next to Legion his hand lingers on mine.

It's not until the music stops that he lets go of my hand. I instantly find myself longing for his touch again and a blush spreads across my cheeks.

Legion takes notice of this as his eyes briefly shift to my pink tinted cheeks. I take that as an opportunity to finally break the eye contact between us and instead direct my attention to the big crowd of people in front of us.

My heart begins to race as I realize that they're all standing up, looking at us expectantly. At me. Scanning the crowd I try to look for familiar faces. In the front rows sits many noble looking people, amongst them is Marisa and her mate. She smiles to me and mouths something that looks like 'breathe'.

I follow her advice and take a deep breath, but it does just about nothing to calm me. My eyes travel further which I quickly regret as I spot the face of Cathrine two rows down, she looks anything but amused so I hurry my eyes along.

Soon enough they land on another familiar face, Caspian. He isn't smiling but he doesn't look unhappy or angry either. His expression is rather blank. For some reason that makes my skin crawl so I advert my gaze.

Just as I do this an elderly woman steps forward from seemingly nowhere. Her hair grey with small strands of white and black. She's wearing a black dress that looks ancient, as if it's from a different time. I wouldn't call it beautiful, I'd call it striking, like it demands respect and attention.

She initially faces the crowd and everyone but me and Legion bow their head in respect before all sitting down. Then she turns to Legion and me, slowly walking up the steps.

The elderly lady stops right in front of me, her eyes scanning mine as if trying to stare into my soul. She then reaches her hands out to grab a hold of mine and I stall for a bit unsure of what to do until I catch on and shakily put my hands in hers.

She closes her eyes and starts whispering something to herself. I look at Legion with wide eyes but he simply nods reassuringly. Once I return my gaze to the lady her eyes are already open and on me, which makes me internally jump.

With no further notice she swings back around to face the crowd and walks a few steps in front of Legion and me.

"This young lady is the true mate of our Alpha, King Legion Winterbourne." The elderly lady speaks loudly for the whole crowd to hear.

I peer over the crowd for reactions, but everyone simply seems to be listening intensely to what she has to say. Though I'm happy to see that most of the people seem to look joyous.

"The blessed kingdom of the north has gathered here today under the watchful eye of the full moon to bear witness to the crowning and acceptance of our new Luna and Queen, Willow Ashen." The lady's voice is clear and loud, even powerful but also worn out due to years and years of using it.

She's got everyone's attention completely captivated, including mine. The elderly woman then starts walking once more and we all follow her with our eyes as she makes her way towards Legion.

As the elder stands in front of Legion, I can't help but notice Legions impressive stature next to the short and shrunken woman. He's practically double her height and more than double her frame. I nervously exhale a breath a didn't even realize I had held.

Legions eyes swiftly meet mine for a few seconds, almost knowingly, before returning to the woman.

The woman gestures Legion forward and he complies with certain steps. Together they walk up to the front of the podium as I stare at the back of his black hair, relived that I'm somewhat hidden behind them.

"Legion Winterbourne, do you, with the weight of your ancestors and the honor of your lineage, accept Willow Ashen as your mate" The woman asks and her question immediately makes a part of me nervous, as if the answer could perhaps be something other than yes.

Legion wastes no seconds however and my fears are quickly subsided. "Yes." He throws a quick reassuring glance over his shoulder or maybe it's to reassure himself that I won't simply sprint away now that it's becoming official.

"Do you accept her as your queen?"

Legion answers immediately with poise as if none of this is unnerving him. "Yes."

The elderly woman nods her head in approval and with that dismisses Legion, who returns to his previous place. Legion locks his eyes with me but I'm distracted as the woman then turns to me.

"Step forward my child." Her voice is lower than before so only I can hear her. I do as she says, hoping that I won't simply faint with all this unwanted attention, as I try my best to ignore looking directly at anyone specific.

Once she's guided us all the way to the edge of the podium, one heavy step after the other, she directs her full attention to me, her gaze penetrating my soul and I sense an instant shift in the air. It's time.

"Willow Ashen, do you with an honest heart accept Legion Winterbourne as your mate." Her voice sends echos through the grand hall, chiming away, waiting to be replaced by my answer.

The air is thick with anticipation. I shakily take a deep breath. Before answering I glance over my shoulder just as Legion had and I'm surprised to see  that his eyes seem almost desperate. I turn back towards the woman and let my answer out.

"Yes." My answer strengthens all the threads between us, binding us together with unimaginable force. I know he can feel it too.

A smile graces her lips upon my answer.

"Do you solemnly swear, under the moon's eternal light, to protect our pack, to rule our kingdom with unwavering strength, and to protect your mate forever?"

I peer over the crowd and somehow my eyes land on Caspian almost instantly, his eyes are squinted and he's leaning forward slightly on the edge of his seat. Something about the way he looks at me makes me want to state my answer loud and clear.

"Yes." I say louder than before.

The woman looks at Legion and he responds by moving up next to me.

"As mates, bound by the threads of destiny, know that you shall share your lives from this moment onward. And, when the time comes, you shall also share the eternal embrace of death."

A man wearing fancy clothes walks up to the elder from the side of the hall with a pillow covered in a thin layer of fabric, the pillow is red just like the fabric. The elderly uncovers the fabric, showing the beautiful crown hidden underneath. With reverence, the elder presents Legion with the crown. It looks like it's crafted from moonlit crystal. It's got beautiful gems all over it and a shiny gold base.

"Legion Winterbourne, place this crown upon your queen and mates head, Willow Ashen, and let the world bear witness to the dawning of a new era."

Legion bows his heads bit as he grabs the crown with gentle hands. My heart picks up it's pace as he moves it closer to my head but I'm not looking at the crown, my eyes are transfixed onto Legions silver eyes that are now filled with a glow that wasn't there before, they're practically gleaming.

Time moves in slow motion as the crown is carefully placed on my head by Legion. Everyone and everything around us seems to disappear in that moment.

"My Queen at last." Legion leans closer and whispers in my ear.

My body simmers at his words and I'm rendered speechless.

His lips form a smile, not a smirk but a genuine smile. His hand reaches out to tug a single hair strand behind my ear and I lean into his hand whilst closing my eyes in bliss. I wish this moment would last forever.

Legion doesn't remove his hand but instead starts caressing my cheek. Despite my eyes being closed I'm certain that both is our eyes are glowing.

Then as quick as our moment appeared it's ripped away with the voice of the elderly.

"Long live the King and Queen!"

The crowd repeats after her loudly. I open my eyes and turn towards them as they all stand up and bow their heads in front of us.

"It is time for the fated candles my King." The elderly woman says as more women appear behind her with a candle each in their palms.

Legion nods his head curtly as the women form a semi circle in front of the platform. Legion places a warm hand on the small of my back whilst the elders starts chanting something in a faintly familiar language.

As the woman who conducted the crowing lights the first candle, starting the chain of candle lightings down the line it dawns on me that it's the language I've heard Legion speak.

I watch with attentive eyes as the last candle is lit and smoke starts forming from each candle. The candles all move as if they were one. I lean in perplexed by the sight only to notice that the smoke is forming an unnaturally big cloud above the women.

"The candle shall serve as a fortune." The elderly says in the language I understand. "Look into the smoke my King and Queen, look at your future."

All the women start chanting together and as their voices grow louder and more pressing, the smoke starts forming shapes of all sizes. It's like a moving picture.

I lean further in involuntary, entranced by what's appearing before me. Legion responds by pressing me closer to his side and I allow the comforting action as I remain fixed on the smoke.

The smoke begins forming familiar images, as if controlled by a magic force allowing me to see these visions. At first I see what appears to be a lone woman walking through a forest, as I look at her I feel a sense of vulnerability surrounding her, without knowing why.

Then a mysterious looming figure starts forming behind her, casting a growing shadow right behind her.

Then a man emerges to embrace her. But the looming figure grow taller and more menacing, slowly growing big enough to swallow the pair.

The vision unsettles something deep within me and I gasp as I turn my face away from the eerie vision. Instead I lean desperately into Legions side whilst looking behind us, seeking solace in the moonlit landscape just beyond the balcony. He doesn't turn around like me but his grip on me tightens with every moment passing, securing me in his embrace.

As I try to calm myself down, I overlook the village and even beyond to the distant tree-line where we had originally emerged to reach the kingdom. That's when something catches my eye, a lone figure appears at the tree line. Despite being so far away I'm positive that it sees me just as I see it, and that's when it flashes me an eerie smile.

______________________________
A/N

I deeply apologize for how long it took, so I've made this chapter longer to compensate little.

As most of you know I've been traveling for months on end but I'm back home now. Sadly enough however I've come down with a fever so the fact that I even pulled myself together to finish the chapter is a miracle haha.

I'm just kidding but I do truly feel just miserable and I'm hoping for a quick recovery!

Now there might be some typos here and there, I'm sorry about that but I figured I can always look it through when I feel better and that way you guys can get the chapter quicker.

What did you think of the chapter?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 24.9K 31
"Who is she?" "Is that their daughter?" "Maybe she's our new queen" "She's so pretty." ()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()() "Good evening, My Queen." Th...
28.7M 880K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
567K 12.9K 45
''Alpha Ross Lynch of Black Night pack!'' the man said and everybody looked up the stairs. And there stood the most amazing looking man I have ever s...
60.3K 1.5K 40
All of Willows life she has been trained to kill, fight and be the best. She had worked hard for her Chief Enforcer position of the worlds strongest...