ᴀ sᴛᴇᴘ ɪɴ ᴛɪᴍᴇ | ᴛᴏʙɪʀᴀᴍᴀ sᴇɴ...

By MizzGinger

As princess of a great empire, you were bitter about your forced marriage to the second son of a shinobi clan... More

1. ᴀ ᴘʀᴀʏᴇʀ
2. ᴀ ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ
3. ᴛᴏ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴇɴᴇᴍʏ
4. ᴀ ᴅɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴꜱᴡᴇʀꜱ
5. ᴡᴇᴅᴅɪɴɢ ᴡᴏᴇ
6. ᴡᴇᴅᴅɪɴɢ ɴɪɢʜᴛ
7. ɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴀᴛ
8. ᴛᴇᴀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ
9. ᴀ ʀᴇꜱᴘᴏɴꜱᴇ
10. ᴀ ʙᴜᴅᴅɪɴɢ ᴠɪʟʟᴀɢᴇ
11. ʜɪꜱ ɢᴇɴᴛʟᴇ ᴄᴏᴍꜰᴏʀᴛ
12. ᴀ ʟᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ
13. ᴘᴀꜱᴛʀɪᴇꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀꜱᴛ
15. ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏᴏᴍ
16. ʀᴏʏᴀʟ ᴠɪꜱɪᴛ
17. ᴛᴇᴍᴘᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
18. ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴡᴀʀ ꜱɪɴɢꜱ
19. ꜱʜᴀᴅᴏᴡꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴍᴏᴛɪᴠᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
20. ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴅᴀɴɢᴇʀ
21. ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴅꜱ [1]
22. ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴏᴅꜱ [2]
23. ᴀ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀꜱᴛ
24. ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴀɢᴀɪɴ
25. ᴀ ᴠɪꜱɪᴛ ʜᴏᴍᴇ
26. ɪɴᴛʀɪᴄᴀᴛᴇ ᴡᴇʙꜱ
27. ᴀ ʀᴇᴜɴɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴏʀᴛꜱ
28. ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ, ᴍʏ ꜰᴀᴛʜᴇʀ
29. ᴍᴏʀᴇ ʀᴇᴠᴇʟᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ
30. ᴜɴᴡᴀɴᴛᴇᴅ
31. ᴀ ᴄᴀʟʟ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ɴɪɢʜᴛ
32. ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴘᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ
33. ɢᴇᴛᴛɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ
34. ᴛᴏ ꜰɪɴᴅ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴀʟʟɪᴇꜱ
35. ᴀʀᴍʏ ᴛʀɪꜰʟᴇꜱ
36. ʜᴜᴍᴀɴɪᴛʏ
37. ꜱᴛʀᴀᴛᴇɢɪᴢᴇ
38. ᴘᴀꜱᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘʀᴇꜱᴇɴᴛ
39. ʙᴇɴᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛᴏᴍʙꜱ
40. ꜱɪꜱᴛᴇʀꜱ
41. ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ ʙᴏɴᴅꜱ
42. ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜꜱ ᴏꜰ ʜᴏᴍᴇ

14. ʙᴏᴏᴋꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛᴇᴀ

595 53 18
By MizzGinger

A/N: This one took me a while to write. Sheesh... Like, for a second, I forgot how sentences work. Editing it was worse cause I had no idea what I was trying to say and had to stare at each sentence for like a minute or two, shocked that I even know English. 

[x]

The books Hashirama requested from the palace arrive during your bakery excursion. Each is indexed and organized within the Senju library, and you head there the following day right after breakfast--which surprisingly lacked a certain white-haired man. However, today's task calls for your attention and you must ignore Tobirama's absence during breakfast.

Upon arriving, you marvel at the volumes of books that he procured from the palace. Several bookcases house the new additions, and it makes you wonder how Hashirama convinced the palace librarian to let go of their treasures. But such pondering shall be reserved for another time.  

You peruse through the spines of each book. Some are encyclopedias, some are fictional works, and some are research notes. Again, you are shocked to see the range in materials as several titles capture your interest. There's one in particular that secures itself into your hands. 'Deities of the Continent'

It's a glossy yellow book with a good number of pages. Judging from the first page, it serves as a speculative piece that uses as much history as possible to ascertain its facts. As you flip through its contents, you realize that despite its mint condition the pages have creases from constant use. It seems to be a popular read at the palace library, one that would have never departed its secure location within its castle.  

You travel over to a chair near the window with your book on hand, and nostalgia fills you. Your memory recalls those times when you'd watch your siblings from the window in your room. They were always allowed to play outside and travel into the city, making you lonely even though your agenda was packed with things to do.

Everyday, you followed a rigid schedule. Morning was spent in the company of friends since that was the only time you were allowed to have tea time with others your age. Lunch then followed and you were able to hang out with your siblings. If one of them had nothing to do after lunch, you'd follow them around. If they were all busy, you would pass your time at the library until your father summoned you for tea. Dinner soon came to which you never ate and the room was always so cold in conversation. 

Despite the constant things to do, you felt caged from the world. Sure, you had your normal teenager experiences like the catty sibling fights, the rebellious clashes with your mother, and a giddy crush on an Earl's son, who would sometimes swing by in the morning to tell you stories. He spoke about life outside of the castle, about the school he attended with Elric, and about his aspirations. 

His visits left you mystified but also hungry for more. He was a big part of your life until you married, and it has always made you wonder what had happened to him. His correspondence ceased upon the announcement of your engagement. No news of his future ever reached your ears even though he was a great friend of Elric.

Yet that is all in the past. Your heart moved on to a less than savory paramour, Izuna, but you bear no ill will towards your childhood crush. It was probably for the best that he removed himself from your spiraling mess of a life. 

The design of this library continues to imbue memories of your childhood, tearing your attention away from the book. You have read the same first page at least a hundred times before you finally decide that a change in scenery is needed. 

You stand up and head for the door, where Hisa waits by the entrance. "I'm going to read outside," you inform her.

She nods her head and leaves to ready the garden for your arrival. You select a few more books to hide the nature of your investigation before heading towards the same garden you used with Mito. Tea is served as are the sweets, and the past releases its hold on your thoughts, allowing you to plunge into your research. 

You open the book and scan the appendix for topics that call for your interest. If it has enough secrets to tell, you'll read the entirety of the section. Sure enough, there are many topics that catch your attention, and you begin at the first chapter, digesting each sentence with ravenous inquiry to learn the basics of your power.

'Summons are the children of deities. They have their own will despite their purpose already in place. Summons are created to wield power over an aspect of life. Whether it be an element, wildlife, fertility, or time itself, they are defenders of the world's balance. 

Should a human enter a pact with them, they will be loyal to their master's demands even if their actions cause an imbalance to their purpose. Summons who create blemishes within the world perish after their master is deceased. (For example, if a fertility summon kills another life, that would cause an imbalance within their purpose which is to create life.) Their pact forces them to go against their nature. Because of this, summons are rarely subjugated by an average human.

The royal lineage of Vandala are the only known humans who are capable of wielding any summon freely. (please see chapter 23 in regards to the Vandala family)

You flip the pages over to the section about your family while keeping an index finger on the chapter about summons.

'The Vandala family is a royal family that dates back to the inception of the Indigo Empire. They are believed to be humans favored by a deity who gave birth to all summons. Because of this, the Vandala royal family can call upon a befriended summon to their side. Their will is believed to be the will of the deity, and so their commands are immune to killing their summon.'

"So I just have to befriend a summon?" you mutter to yourself.

'Because of their long lineage, they keep their summoning secrets reserved. Much of their customs are not known within the secular unit, but with thorough investigation, it is believed that most of the princes and princesses do not wield any summoning power as it is reserved for only the crowned child.

Exceptions to this notion only come to be during a time of war. It is shown that several princes were given the right to summon during the Period War of Year 482 when Prince Spritz, Prince Elture, and Prince Zachary used their individual summons in battle. After the war, Prince Spritz ascended to become Emperor while Prince Zachary continued on as General and Prince Elture perished in war. Prince Zachary was forbidden to birth a child by Emperor Spritz, citing war crimes as reason. 

The Vandala royal family have an arsenal of summons that keep all enemies at bay and the Indigo Empire in eternal peace. They employ the magic of the Pultz family to subjugate any beasts that try to touch their lands. (Author's Note: A union between the Vandala and the Pultz will surely entail a strong breed of children. There hasn't been any tie within their families since the publishing of this book, but I believe that there will be a time when the Pultz's reputation finally rises to wed into the Vandala family. And there will be a time when they will attempt a creation born of their blend.)'

As you flip through the pages, you lose track of time. The afternoon light now blares brightly, but the chilly winds keep you comfortable. You don't notice that someone has been watching you from their office window as they work; that is until their intrigue brings them over to the garden.

"Princess?"

You peel your attention away from the book as your heartbeat skips with pleasant shock from the sight of Tobirama. "Yes?"

"May I join you?" He glances at the empty chair adjacent to you.

You smile at the thought of his company. "Yes, you may." He settles within the chair as you close your book. "I was wondering where you were today."

"I had several meetings today over the topic of land arrangements," Tobirama sighs but pauses his woes at the realization of your comment. "Was my presence missed at breakfast?"

You hide your face behind the book. "Don't jump to hasty conclusions..."

He smirks, "I am not one to jump to any hasty conclusions, Princess."

Your eyes drift to the garden to avoid his knowing stare as your body burns with desire. You've already accepted your plight. After being enemies for too long, you now hold a romantic interest in this man. You enjoy your conversations with him, you like the comfort he offers, and he isn't too difficult to stare at for long periods of time.

He takes a peek at what you read and changes direction in thought. "Are you thinking of harnessing your powers?"

Your normalize your emotions as best you can to respond, "I... am not sure what I can do, but I'd like to see what I am capable of."

Tobirama's expression darkens in thought. "Have you read the subsection in regards to multiple users employed in summons?"

"Yes?"

"Do you understand the dangers you face should you awaken your powers?" 

You blink a few times, confused as to where his questioning wanders, and your silence is enough an answer for him. 

He crosses his arms as he recites his findings. "Prince Elteru was killed in battle, but accounts of the battle state that his wounds were inflicted by no man or animal. It's for us to assume that it was a summon or beast. While Prince Zachary was regarded as a war criminal and castrated."

"Castrated?" you gasp in horror.

"If you are to pursue this avenue, it is crucial that you do not elicit the attention of anyone in your family."

"But..."

"I know that you seek value from a trait that may save our people. I know that my brother believes you to be our savior," Tobirama crassly states. "I am aware of it all."

"T-Then you know that only I can do this."

He stares at you for a while, his eyes full of speculation. "We are not asking for you to become a martyr for our people."

The belief that you will fail pokes at your annoyance. "I am not intending to die."

He arches an eyebrow, "I will not allow any harm to come to you, Princess. Just... be careful. You may not notice, but many lives are now in the balance. Your actions, just as mine and my brother's, can create powerful forces that will alter the lives of all involved."

"I won't entangle your people in my fight with my family," you mumble and take a bite of the pastry in front of you.

"It is not as simple as that."

You frown, "I know it isn't that simple." Seeing his hesitation confuses you more. "What are your concerns exactly?"

He doesn't hesitate to inform you. "Not only do I worry for our people, but I hold grave concern for my son... He is now your son too. You may not have met him or have any reason to treat him as your own, but you do hold an obligation to give some consideration to him."

"As his mother?" Your tone indicates disgust but not for the boy. The idea of you being a mother when your head is filled with revenge and hatred stirs a revulsion from the defilement of the title. You cannot be anyone's mother at the moment, not when you desire the death of others.

But Tobirama translates it as disgust over the idea of a stepson. His face hardens with tension. "It is too aggressive a title to say outright, but I fear he may become--"

"You think my family would target your son... My step-son should I learn of my summoning?"

"It's in the realm of possibilities."

"I don't understand then," you respond with agitation present in your huff. "You want me to save your people, but then you don't want me to fulfill my obligation because your son may get hurt. I don't even know if I can do this! All I do know is that there are many people after this power I have and want to take me down. They want me dead!"

"And I won't let them," he states with confidence, but it doesn't alleviate the frustration you feel.

"But how can you be so sure?!" you exclaim while standing up. "These enemies we have can ruin millions of lives with the snap of their fingers. Meanwhile, you don't want me to do anything because I have a stepson to worry about?!"

Your words attack his patience, but he does well in holding it in. "Princess... That isn't what I mean."

"Then what do you mean? What is it that you ask of me and I will tell you if I am capable of it or not." 

"All I want is for us to approach this as a family unit." His answer is devoid of fluff, the romance in the air has long been dead. "But it is clear that it is my duty to think of my son, not yours." He rises from his chair. "I apologize for assigning you such a large task that you are not yet ready for. Enjoy the rest of your afternoon, Princess."

Your bout of anger deflates instantly. After wanting his company, you ruin what little time he can offer and guilt overcomes you. "You too," you breathlessly respond as you watch him leave.

As his back recedes from the distance, you realize that you may have been selfish in your retort. Usually, he held more patience for you obstinance, but you weren't showing any consideration for his son. It wasn't as if you wanted to be a mother; the title was thrown onto your lap without your say, and it's only natural for a 21 year old to not desire the role at her youth. You shouldn't have to feel sorry for rejecting the role especially when you need to find a way to survive.

But why does your heart feel heavy in denying this boy? Memories of your interactions with him never conjure up anything good. He was as arrogant and rude as his father, but... when he lost his aunt, when he lost his friends in war, when he felt so alone that he was nearly suffocating from life's tribulations, he stared at you, longing for the embrace of a mother.

Maybe you really should afford him the same chance you are granting Tobirama. "Akito Senju," you mutter to yourself as you plot out your next steps.

[end of chapter 14]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.9K 859 18
Y/n Senju is the daughter of the two great Legendary Sanin, Tsunade and Orochimaru (an accident of course). She is hated by her mother and loved by h...
10.1K 393 13
Transported into an alternate reality where everything and everyone is completely different leads Naruto, Sakura and (Y/n) to live a life they didn't...
68.1K 1.6K 25
You, the daughter of Tsunade Senju, have to marry an Uchiha because of the Konoha conflict. Of course you do not feel comfortable marrying someone yo...
36.6K 1.9K 37
* THIS IS A COPYRIGHTED STORY OF MINE, MIDNIGHT_LILAC, PUBLISHED ON WATTPAD. IF YOU FIND IT ON ANY OTHER WEBSITE, IT HAS BEEN COPIED/REPUBLISHED WITH...