Khizaan

By Ufaq_I

#3 in India (10/10/23) Humne dekha Hai khizaan mein bhi teri amaad k baad Konsa Gul Tha ke gulshan mein tar... More

𝐾𝒉𝑖𝑧𝑎𝑎𝑛
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Important Note (do not skip)
Chapter 42

Chapter 23

4.6K 410 177
By Ufaq_I

"Uswa sahi kehti hai, doodh ka jala burnol bhi phoonk phoonk ke lagata hai." Hyra said to herself, but then smacked her head in frustration as she realized that Uswa's words are inaccurate but helpful in her current situation.

(Uswa is right, once burned, applies the ointment with a blowtorch.)

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, Hyra corrected Uswa's misquote and whispered the correct idiom to herself, "Doodh ka jala, chhaas bhi phoonk phoonk ke peeta hai."

(Once bitten, shy twice.)

Determined to avoid Hayder's wrath, Hyra decided to spend the rest of the day with Hanif Mirza. She knew that Hayder wouldn't be able to scold her in front of his grandfather. It was a small act of defiance, a fragile shield against the storm she feared would come when he will return home.

•••

"Assalam-Alaikum, baba." On Hayder's voice, Hyra's heartbeat quickened, but she did not dare to raise her head from the tablet.

"Haan, Walekum-Assalam," Hanif Mirza didn't pay any attention to Hayder either, he was playing ludo with Hyra, and was invested in it more than his grandson.

Hayder sat on the chair. Hanif Mirza and Hyra were sitting on the bed. Crossing his arms over his chest, he looked at Hyra, who was feeling fidgety feeling his gaze on her.

"Uh... Assalam-Alaikum," She finally muster some courage and greeted him, though she has moved her head toward his direction, but still her eyes were down.

"Hyra, tumse baat karni hai." Hyra was wrong, Hayder didn't care it Hanif Mirza is present in the room.

(Hyra, I want to talk to you.)

"Shhh, chup raho." But Hanif Mirza proved to be her shield, as he hushed Hayder. He doesn't like any disturbance while he is playing.

(Be quiet.)

Hayder was startled by Hanif Mirza's act, but then did what Hanif Mirza told him to do. Sitting quietly, he waited for the match to be finished.

After a few minutes, the match was finished, Hyra won. And Hanif Mirza couldn't handle that, as he challenged her for a rematch, which she happily accepted.

"Baba," before they could restart the match, Hayder called him.

"Kya hai?" Hanif Mirza looked at his grandson.

(What?)

"Mera zaroori saman nahi mil raha hai, issey kahe jake dhoond de."

(I can not find my my important thing, tell her to find it for me.)

Hyra's eyes shot up from her phone, wide with surprise. She looked at Hanif Mirza, pleading through her eyes for him not to send her with Hayder.

"Pehle yeh match ho jaye, fir dhoond degi, aisa kya zaroori saman hai." Hanif Mirza's face was stern.

(First let us play, then she will find it.)

"Tum mujhse 2 baar jeeti ho, iss baar toh main hi jeetunga." Hanif Mirza looked at Hyra and told her, lovingly. Which made her smile greatly. Now she wants to win this match so badly, so Hanif Mirza could keep challenging her for another round.

(You've defeated me twice, now I am gonna win.)

"Baba, Hyra..." Hayder looked between them, and was about to say something, but his sentence was interrupted in between by Hanif Mirza.

"Kya Hyra Hyra... ruk jao," Hanif Mirza scolded him, as he restarted the match.

(What Hyra Hyra... be patient.)

Hyra's lips twitch up, which she controlled by bitting her lips.

Hayder once again sat in the corner, his arms crossed and a slightly impatient look on his face, waiting for the match to finish. Again.

As the game reached a tense moment, Hanif Mirza's phone began to ring, startling everyone. He reluctantly stop the game when saw Tabu was calling. A look of happiness crosses his face, as he talked to his daughter-in-law.

"Kaisa chal raha hai waha sab? Bohot dino baad call ki hai."

(How's everything going on there?)

Hyra nervously shifted in her place, her eyes darting between the tablet and Hanif Mirza, who looked like he has forgotten about the game.

"Kubra api bula rahi thi..." She tried to make excuse, hoping to escape the room unnoticed.

(Kubra api was calling me...)

However, just as she was about to tiptoe away, Hayder's strong hand clasped around her wrist, preventing her escape. She turned to him, her eyes wide with fear, but he didn't say a word. Instead, he gently tugged on her hand, guiding her out of the room.

•••

Hayder led Hyra into their bedroom, his face full of frustration. He closed the door behind them.

"Toh?" He turned to Hyra and asked. Hyra hesitated, avoiding his gaze.

(So?)

"Tumne blue sofa yaha kyu rakhwaya?"

(Why did you take the blue sofa here?)

"Main... mere sone ke liye." she stammered, her fingers nervously fiddling with the edge of her dupatta.

(For... for me to sleep.)

"Bed nahi hai yaha?" Hayder made his voice hard and asked, which made her flinch.

(You can sleep on the bed.)

"Fir aap kaha sote?" She manages to ask.

(Where would you have slept then?)

"Tum mein wakai mein kya itni aqal nahi hai ki..." Hayder stepped forward, and started saying,

(Are you really that dumb that you...)

Hyra close her eyes and stepped back in fear.

When Hayder saw Hyra's body trembling, he stopped. He didn't want her to faint again because of him.

"Baad mein baat karenge." He told her, and dash out of the room.

(We will talk about this later.)

Hyra, who's eyes were still closed, she opened one eye to look at the door and saw it open, then she opened both eyes and looked around the room, not believing that the room is indeed empty.

"Kya...itna asan tha?" She asked herself. Disbelief was still written on her face.

(Was it... really that easy?)

"Dheet bano, Hyra, dheet. Zyada se zyada samne wala kya kar lega? Daatega hi, sunn lo, aur khane ki tarah hajam karlo." Uswa's way of living. But Hyra never thought it was indeed that easy.

(Be stubborn, Hyra, stubborn. What can the person do? They'll scold you, listen, and digest it like food.)

Hyra was impressed by herself. She got the sofa, and Hayder didn't scold her.

Her face bloomed into a huge smile, but it quickly turned down when recalled that Hayder said he will talk to her later.

•••

Fortunately for Hyra, Hayder didn't approach her again, as Hanif Mirza started a conversation about Sarim Randhawa during dinner. With Hayder, Shahzaib, and Hanif engrossed in their discussion. Then Hayder went to Kubra's room to talk to her. Seizing the opportunity, Hyra discreetly positioned herself on the sofa, draping a blanket over her body to feign slumber, ensuring that Hayder wouldn't disturb her.

•••

Hayder quietly enters the dimly lit room, the soft glow from a table lamp casting a warm, golden hue. The conversation with Kubra had left him feeling reassured that she is happy with Sarim's proposal.

He closes the door behind him, careful not to make a sound, not wanting to disturb Hyra, who is peacefully asleep on the sofa.

With soft steps, he approaches her. Her chest rises and falls rhythmically as she sleeps, her long lashes casting delicate shadows on her cheeks. Hayder reaches out to gently brush a loose strand of hair away from her face, his touch as light as a whisper.

For a moment, he considers waking her, wanting to talk about this issue, but seeing her so serene, he decides against it. Instead, he lets out a quiet sigh, realizing that this is not the right time to bring it up.

Hayder retreats from the sofa, making his way to the edge of their bed. He sits down and looked back at Hyra one more time, a hint of a smile forming on his lips as he thinks about her. He knows that their relationship needs a calm and thoughtful conversation, not a heated one.

As he lays down on the bed, he closes his eyes, his thoughts drifting between the happiness he's found for his sister and the conversation he knows he'll need to have with Hyra soon. In the quiet of the room, with the soft sound of her breathing in the background, Hayder fell asleep.

As the room grows quieter, Hyra's eyes flutter open. She reaches up, her fingers grazing her cheek where Hayder's touch lingers. Hyra looked at the bed, where Hayder is sleeping. Confused by his act, she turned other side and closes her eyes.

•••

Mirza's family had initially wanted a simple engagement celebration. However, the Randhawas had grander plans, turning the event into a lavish banquet.

As guests arrive, they are greeted by the opulent surroundings of the banquet hall, adorned with shimmering drapes, extravagant floral arrangements, and glittering chandeliers. The room exudes an air of elegance, with soft music playing in the background.

Kubra and Sarim sat on a sofa, in the center of attention, wearing radiant smiles despite the unexpected extravagance. Kubra's smile concealed the nervousness that had been building up inside her.

"Theek ho?" Sarim noticed the apprehension in Kubra's eyes, asked her in a low voice.

(Are you okay?)

"Haan bas... humare yaha toh engagement sadgi se hote hain." She told him what was bothering her.

(Yeah, Just... in our family, engagement party are much simpler.)

"I am sorry, actually mom thora excited hain meri shadi ke liye. Har cheez grand hi hogi." Apologetically, Sarim told her.

(Mom is excited for my wedding. She wants everything to be grand.)

"I can see that." Kubra mumbles.

"Come," Sarim suddenly said, and he stood up.

"Huh?" Kubra looked confused, as she looks at his hand, then at him.

"Come on, let's go for a walk."

"Sarim? Abhi walk karni hai tumhe?" Kubra gritted her teeth. "Mehman hain yaha."

(Do you really want to go for a walk right now?)

(There are guests.)

"No one would mind, come!"

Kubra wanted to protest, but Sarim didn't listen to her. He led her away from the bustling crowd, towards a discreet door that led to the terrace.

As they stepped onto the terrace, a soft breeze greeted them, carrying with it the fragrance of blooming flowers. The gentle rustling of leaves and distant murmurs from the party below created a soothing ambience.

Kubra took a deep breath, the cool breeze instantly relaxing her tense shoulders. She looked at Sarim with gratitude in her eyes.

"Thank you,"

Sarim simply nodded, a small, understanding smile on his face. They walked over to a charming wooden bench in a corner of the terrace, bathed in the soft glow of fairy lights.

Sarim and Kubra sat down, side by side, gazing at the starlit sky above. The world below seemed distant, and in this intimate moment, it was just the two of them.

They didn't need words. They sat in silence, savoring the tranquility of the moment and the promise of their future together. Kubra didn't know that Sarim's presence was all needed to calm her nerves.

The soft breeze continued to dance around them, as Kubra's hearts beat in harmony. Sarim Randhawa's small act of consideration bloomed a beautiful feeling inside of Kubra.

•••

Hayder stands amidst the crowd, with Feroz Randhawa and Asim Mirza, but his eyes were looking around, searching for someone. Then, he sees her.

Hyra, dressed in a stunning red churidaar with her long hair cascading down her back, captivates the room's attention. Hayder is momentarily struck speechless, his heart racing as he takes in her beauty.

Hyra was engrossed in conversation with Uswa, sharing a light-hearted moment amidst the celebration. Hayder can't resist the urge any longer; he must be by her side.

"Dono ka couple kitna pyara lag raha hai." Uswa was excitedly saying, on which Hyra nods her head.

(They look perfect together.)

"Aur pata hai... main abhi ayi," Uswa was about to say something, but she saw Hayder approaching them, she quickly excuses herself.

(And do you know... I will just come.)

"Kya hua?" Hyra hadn't saw Hayder coming toward them, and she asked to Uswa, but she has walked away.

(What happened?)

Hyra was about to turn and go to Arzoo, but she almost bumped into Hayder.

"I.. I am sorry," she mumbles, and was about to walk away, but Hayder's hand reaches for her waist, and pulls her closer.

Her startled gasp was drowned out by the background music.

"Aap," She looked at him with wide eyes, not expecting this behaviour from him, never in front of so many people.

(You,)

"Achhi lag rahi ho," Hayder said, not caring about the world around them.

(You look pretty,)

Hyra's cheeks flushed, as she looked down, unable to say anything. These days, Hayder is behaving weird.

Hayder, entranced by the vision before him, smiles warmly and calls out to Shahzaib.

"Shahzaib, humari photos click karna."

(Shahzaib, click our picture.)

"Ji, bhai," Shahzaib quickly take out his phone, and started clicking their pictures.

(Okay, bhai.)

"Achhi photos li hain maine." After taking the picture, Shahzaib praises his ownself, and showed a picture to Hayder and Hyra.

(I clicked good photos.)

Hyra's expression changes suddenly when saw their picture, her anger flaring up. Memories of their wedding day flood her mind. How Hayder sent away the photographer that day.

She looks at Hayder. Removing his hand away from her waist, she walks off.

"Kya hua?" Shahzaib, who witness this too, asked.

(What happened?)

"Shayad ussey tumhari capture ki hui pictures achhi nahi lagi." Hayder told him, and he also walked away.

(Maybe she didn't like the pictures you clicked.)

"Achhi toh li hain maine pictures." Shahzaib looked at his phone and murmured as he admires his photography skills.

(But I clicked nice pictures.)

•••

As the celebration came to an end, the hall began to empty out, with family members bidding their goodbyes and heading home.

Hayder made his way through the dwindling crowd to find Hyra. He reached out for her hand and asked, "Tumhe kya yaha ruk ke bartan saaf karne hain? Chalo,"

(Do you have to clean the dishes here? Come,)

"Main... main Dawar bhai ke sath aungi." Everyone from their family have left, Dawar and Hayder were talking to Talha Randhawa, and were the one of the last people to leave.

(I... I will come with Dawar bhai.)

"Bhabhi thakk gayi hain, Dawar ko apne ghar jane do." Hayder's grip on her hand tightened as he shook his head, and points at Laraib, who was sitting down, and looking at around, waiting for Dawar to come, so they can leave.

(Bhabhi is tired, let Dawar go to his house.)

Without waiting for her response, he began guiding her towards his car.

Silently, Hyra sat in. When they were coming, Kubra was in the car with them, but now Kubra left early with Shahzaib and Zara.

Hyra was looking at her hands, but then she felt the journey seemed little longer. When they were coming here from their home, it took only 20 minutes to reach the banquet, but now she feels they are on the road for much longer.

Hyra's heart raced as she looked out the window and saw the darkness, but passing trees caught her attention. Banquet wasn't in such an area.

"Hum kaha ja rahe hain?" She turned to Hayder and asked. But he didn't answer her.

(Where are we going?)

Hayder pulled the car over to the side of the road and turned off the engine. Hyra looked out and saw a hotel. Her eyes expanded as she remembers this place. It was the same hotel they came for Hayder's meeting and got stuck due to rain.

Hyra's mind raced back to a memory they shared at this very place before their marriage.

Nervously, she turned to Hayder. "Hum yaha kyu aye hain?" she asked, her voice trembling.

(Why are we here?)

Hayder turned to her. "Andar chalo, sab yahi janna hai kya."

(Let's go inside, do you want to know everything here.)

He got out of the car and walked around to open her door, offering his hand to help her out. Hyra's mind was too numb to process, she holds his hand, and they headed into the hotel together.

They arrived at the same room they had stayed in, memories flooding back. Hyra's mind raced with questions.

"Aap mujhe yaha kyu laye hain?" Hyra asked. The room was lit, with a soft glow from a nearby table lamp casting a warm hue.

(Why did you take me here?)

Hayder looked into Hyra's eyes, his expression softening. "Baat karni hai tumse, jo ghar mein nahi kar sakta kyu tum kabhi baba toh kabhi Kubra ke sath hoti ho. Mujhse avoid karti ho."

(I want to talk to you because you never let me talk to you at home, you are always with baba or Kubra. You avoid me.)

Holding Hyra's hand, Hayder took her to sit on the sofa.

"Main avoid nahi karti, aap mujhe datte hain bas isliye..." Quickly, Hyra said in her defence.

(I don't avoid you. You always scold me that's why...)

Hayder interrupted her, "Tumhe yaad hai jab hum last time yaha the? Uss raat tum yaha, issi sofe pe mere kareeb thi, aur darr se tum mere kareeb ayi thi..."

(Do you remember when the last time we were here? That night, on this very same sofa, you were scared and hugged me...)

"Kaise bhool sakti hoon woh sab. Ussi ki saza mili hai apko jo apki shadi ek badd-aqal larki se ho gayi." Looking down on her feet, Hyra mumbles.

(How can I forget. Because of that night, you had to marry a foolish girl.)

Hayder couldn't help but smile at her statement, she isn't the one who forget everything easily.

His thumb gently caressing the back of her hand, "Uss raat, darr se mere kareeb ayi thi tum, fir mujhse hi darr gayi thi. Pata hai, Uss raat woh darri sehmi Hyra mere dil mein utar gayi thi."

(That night, when you hugged me because you were scared and then realise you waht you did and ran away, in that moment, I fell in love with that scared Hyra.)

Hyra, who was looking down, looked up in shock on his words.

"Tum mujhse darr rahi thi, aur main apne dil se. Uss raat ke baad main bohot koshish ki apne jazbat ko jhutlane ki." Hayder's expression was soft, as he looked into her eyes. Telling her the truth which he wanted to avoid.

(You were scared of me, and I was scared of my heart. I tried to refuse those feelings.)

Hayder continued, "Fir achanak se baba ne hum dono ki shadi ki baat ki toh mere dil mein lakh inkar karne ke bewajood bhi kahi na kahi ikrar tha."

(Then suddenly, Baba brought up the topic of our marriage, and despite my denials, somewhere deep in my heart, there was an agreement.)

"Lekin maine Dawar se kehte suna ki tumne haan sirf choti mummy ki khushi ke liye ki hai. Aur mujhe yeh baat bilkul manzoor nahi thi ki jiss larki ko main pasand karta hoon uspe koi zabardasti ho, lekin tab tak derr bhi kafi ho chuki thi aur humari engagement ho gayi thi. Isliye tumse shuru shuru mein iss tarah se behave kiya."

(But I had heard from Dawar that you said yes only for the sake of your mother's happiness. And I was absolutely not willing for any coercion on the girl I liked, but by then, it was already quite late, and our engagement had taken place. That's why I behaved this way with you at the beginning.)

Hayder gently cupped her face with his free hand, "Tum kuch bol kyu nahi rahi?"

(Why aren't you saying anything?)

Hyra sighed, her eyes brimming with unspoken feelings. Her voice trembled as she spoke, "Main kya bolu? Mujhe yeh nahi samajh araha inn sab mein mera kya kasoor tha?"

(What I am supposed to say? I am not able to understand what was my fault in all of this.)

"Aap keh rahe hain apne woh sab iss liye kaha kyuki apko laga main khush nahi, lekin kya apne kabhi mujhse sach janne ki koshish bhi ki thi?" She removes her hand off from his grip, her frustration seeping through her words.

(You are saying that you did all of that because you felt I wasn't happy, but have you ever tried to ask me about the truth?)

"Jabse humari shadi hui hai aap sirf mujhe ignore karte aye hain, hamesha bas mujhe data hai meri galti ho ya na ho, fir achanak se aap ab yeh keh rahe." Tears welled up in her eyes, and her voice cracked with emotion. "Dawar bhai ne kuch bhi kaha ho, apne kabhi janna chaha mujhe kya chahiye?" Her shoulders slumped as the weight of her unspoken desires and hurt became too much to bear.

(Since our marriage, you have consistently ignored me, always scolding me whether it's my fault or not. And suddenly, you're saying this now)

(No matter what Dawar bhai said, have you ever tried to find out what I want?)

Hayder looked at her with regret in his eyes. He realized the depth of pain he had caused her over the months. He reached out to touch her trembling hand, but she pulled away.

Shaking her head, she spoke in low voice. "Sab kuch hamesha apki marzi se nahi ho sakta."

(Not everything could go on according to you.)

•••

The kitchen was dimly lit, as Zara stands by the counter, brewing tea. Her eyes glisten with unshed tears, and the smile she wore earlier has faded.

Shahzaib enters the kitchen, his footsteps barely audible. He leans against the doorway, studying Zara's silhouette.

"Zara!" He calls her softly, making her startled. "Kya tum theek ho?" Since she has come, Shahzaib felt she seem distant and cold.

(Are you okay?)

Zara keeps her gaze fixed on the tea, her hands trembling slightly as she pours the hot water.

"Haan, mujhe kya hona hai?" She didn't even look at direction. "Bas thakk gayi hoon."

(Yeah, what happened to me?)
(I am just tired.)

She finishes making tea. Grabbing a cup, she walks past him, leaving him with a sense of unease.

•••

Shahzaib sits on the edge of his bed, his mind consumed by thoughts of Zara. He can't shake the feeling that something is wrong. He replays their brief interaction in the kitchen over and over, searching for clues. But he couldn't find anything.

•••

Zara lies in bed, her face buried in her pillow. Silent tears stream down her cheeks as she muffles her sobs. From past few weeks, that's how she spent her night, crying. Her uncle have fixed her marriage, and as usual, her father didn't object in front of his brother, while her mother is against this proposal. In between all of this, no one thought of asking Zara what does she wants. Her fate was being decided and no one asked her about her consent.

In her heart, she knows the truth she must tell this to Shahzaib, their unspoken love have can never be complete, and it breaks her heart.

As the night deepens, the weight of their unexpressed feelings and the impending separation hang heavy in the air.

•••

I thought I will publish a long chapter but... yaar fir long chapter time bhi bohot leta hai😅 and it's been ages since I last updated this story, isliye I thought of posting this much only.

How's it?

-Ufaq

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

343K 10.6K 42
WARNING: THIS BOOK NEEDS MAJOR EDITING (Book I in broken series) "What are you doing on my bed? Get down right now." He growled. i got startled and...
236K 11.7K 34
"It's impossible! "a voice intruppted his roar. "he's your elder brother! The rightful heir of the kingdom. "He turned around furious. His eyes glowi...
568K 22.4K 31
~ ZA¥DAN ~ 'Life is a Game of chess' Move in silence only to say CHECKMATE°°° ~ HA¥AT ~ 'Life can be a game of chess' But with...
772K 35.5K 57
"Will, you ever move on, forget him?" Her friend asked. "He is my breath and I will forget him when I forget to breathe." She answered with a smile o...