Khizaan

By Ufaq_I

#3 in India (10/10/23) β€’β€’β€’ "Listen to me, Do not expect anything from me or this marriage. I only married yo... More

πΎπ’‰π‘–π‘§π‘Žπ‘Žπ‘›
Characters
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Important Note (do not skip)
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Note

Chapter 20

6.6K 467 170
By Ufaq_I

A huge thank you to ayrasukhera for being the best buddy❤️

•••

"Hyra kaha hai?"

(Where's Hyra?)

Hanif Mirza, Kubra, and Hayder's moving hands stopped, as they looked at Shahzaib on his question.

"Kya hua?" Shahzaib felt conscious under their hard gaze and sat back.

(What happened?)

"Usne dinner kar liya?" Hesitantly, he asked.

(Did she eat dinner already?)

"Hyra yaha nahi hai." Kubra answered him, as she turned to her dinner.

(Hyra is not here.)

"Iss waqt kaha chali gayi?" Surprised, Shahzaib looked at Kubra, then turned to Hayder.

(Where did she go at this time?)

"Apne mayeke gayi hai." Hanif Mirza informed him.

(She has gone to her parents'.)

"Oh, sahi! Toh, Hayder bhai, aap kyu itna ghumsum hain, niche hi gayi hai ajayegi, aap toh khaye." Mischievously, Shahzaib asked to Hayder, while pointing at his plate, Hayder hadn't touched anything from it yet. He was just moving the fork in plate, playing with rice.

(Oh, okay. So, Haydar Bhai, why are you so upset, She's just downstairs. You eat.)

Giving Shahzaib a pointed look, Hayder pushed his plate away and left.

"Kya hua?" Confusingly, Shahzaib looked at Kubra.

(What happened?)

"Tum kya ghar mein sirf khane aur sone atey ho? Tumhe kuch khabar hai ghar mein kya ho raha hai?" Hanif Mirza scolded him, which startled Shahzaib. Then, Hanif Mirza also pushed his plate away and left.

(Do you have any idea what's happening at home? Or you only come to eat and sleep here.)

"Sab mujhe aise kyu ghoor rahe hain jaise maine apni nahi pados ki bhabhi ka haal puch liya." He asked.

(Why is everyone staring at me like I have asked about the neighbour's sister-in-law?)

"Kuch nahi, tum khana khao." Kubra shook her head. Getting up, she picked Hanif Mirza's plate to take his food to his room.

(Nothing, you eat.)

This didn't satisfy Shahzaib, he felt something was wrong. But the biryani in his plate tempted him, he thought of eating it first, then he will ask Kubra what happened.

•••

Taking off his wristwatch, Hayder placed it on side table when saw a pair of specs there. He picked it up and realised Hyra must have forgotten her specs here. He again placed it back and lay down on the bed. Hiding his eyes behind his arm.

He didn't mind her going with Dawar, but if he had told her to stay, she should have stayed back. Her disobedience didn't sit well with him.
The sound of doorbell startled him, as he quickly left his room to see who had come at this time.

Hayder hadn't reached living room yet heard noises.

"Arey waha network nahi tha toh main call nahi kar paya, fir bus mein so gaya fir bhool gaya..." It was Rafey's voice. He had returned from his uncle's place.

(I couldn't call because there was no network, then I slept and forgot.)

Hayder didn't go to living room to meet Rafey and returned to his room.

•••

Laraib was sitting on the bed, applying lotion on her hands, time to time, she would look at Dawar, but when found him busy in his laptop, she would again pour some more lotion on her hands and rubbed it over her hands.

"Sara lotion aaj hi laga lena hai kya?" She didn't realise Dawar was noticing her behaviour. Quickly, she put the bottle away.

(Are you going to use all the lotion today?)

"Dawar, sab theek haina?" Hesitantly, she asked.

(Everything is okay, right?)

"Haan! Kya hua?"

(Yes, what is the matter?)

"Nahi, woh Hyra... aise achanak se yaha ana..."

(No, Hyra ... her coming here so suddenly)

"Apne bhai ke ghar ayi hai, isme itna kya sochna."

(She is at her brother's. What is there to think about?)

"Nahi woh..." Laraib tried to find better words. Since they moved out, and Dawar was distant from her. Just now everything was getting back to its place, Dawar is very happy nowadays, she didn't want to ruin it by saying anything about his family.

(No, ...)

"Kuch nahi." She shook her head.

(Nothing.)

•••

The room was dimly lit, with a soft glow emanating from a few strategically placed lamps, creating a soothing atmosphere.
A large, plush bed occupied the center of the room on which Hyra was sitting with her phone attached to her ear.

"Tumne Uswa ko kyu bataya sab, Hyra?" Arzoo asked Hyra on the phone.

(Why did you tell Uswa?)

"Mamma, main... Mujhe nahi pata tha Uswa Dawar bhai ko bata degi." Sitting on the bed in criss-cross position, Hyra was hugging a pillow close to her, while telling her mother this, meekly.

(I didn't know she would tell Dawar.)

Through the partially open window, a gentle breeze whispered, rustling the curtains like a soothing lullaby. The faint scent of lavender wafted in the air, intended to relax her senses, but Hyra couldn't shake off the tension gnawing at her heart.

"Mujhe toh pata tha, kaha tha na maine tumhe ki kisi se kuch mat kehna. Miya biwi ek dusre ke libas hote hain, tumhe uski khamiyo ko chupana chahiye tha, na ki puri duniya mein uska shor karo."

(I knew that. I told you not to say anything to anyone. Husband and wife are each other's garment. Instead of talking about his flaws, you should have concealed them.)

Hyra didn't know what to say after this. When Dawar asked her if Hayder hits her, only then she realised the depth of the situation. Hyra's eyes brimmed with tears.

"Aur Dawar ke sath kyu gayi tum?"

(Why did you go with Dawar?)

"Bhai ne bola..." That's all she could manage to say without breaking down.

(Bhai said so.)

"Bhai ne bola chali gayi. Hayder bhi toh rukne ko keh rahe the." Arzoo didn't hear her crying and was still scolding her.

(Bhai told you to go and you did. Hayder also asked you to stay.)

"Kal hi Dawar se kaho tumhe wapas ghar chorhe."

(Ask Dawar tomorrow to drop you home.)

Hyra nods her head, as if Arzoo could see her on the call.

•••

On the other side, Rabia was also scolding her daughter for telling Dawar everything.

"Mummy, main darr gayi thi." Uswa whined.

(I got scared.)

"Arzoo thi usko batati, aur agar yeh pehle se ho raha tha toh mujhe batana tha. Main aur tumhare papa aram se Hayder se baat karte iss silsile mein. Dawar toh garam khoon hai, leke chala gaya Hyra ko. Achha thori lagta hai. Kuch bhi karne ya kehne se pehle soch liya karo, Uswa, aur tumhe kitni baar kaha hai koi bhi problem ho toh mujhe bataya karo."

(You could have told Arzoo about it, and if this had been happening from long time, you should have informed me. Your dad and I could have talked to Hayder. Dawar is hot headed, and he took Hyra with him. It's not good at all. Think before doing or saying anything, Uswa, and how many times have I told you both to let me know if there's any problem.)

Uswa's face turned down. She was feeling guilty after seeing everything that happened in the evening, she never expected this. And she didn't get a chance to ask Hyra about her health.

"Uswa, Tumhari fikar Hyra ke liye galat nahi, behen hai woh tumhari, tumhara farz hai uska khayal rakhna. Lekin uski shadi ho chuki hai, agar uski zindagi mein koi masla hai aur woh tumse share kar rahi hai iska yeh matlab bilkul nahi ki tum kisi teesre se uska zikar karo. Hyra ko sahi lagta toh woh khud Dawar ya hume batati." Rabia made her voice soft and put her hand over Uswa's hand.

(Uswa, your concern for Hyra is not wrong; she is your sister, and it is your duty to take care of her. But she is already married, and if there is any issue in her life and she is sharing it with you, it doesn't mean you should mention it to someone else. If Hyra felt it was right, she would have told Dawar or us herself.)

"Aap janti hain Hyra kaisi hai, usko toh flu bhi ho jaye toh kisiko nahi batati." Uswa complained.

(You know Hyra. She wouldn't even tell anyone if she had flu.)

"Haan, main janti hoon, isliye keh rahi hoon mujhe batana tha. Agey se kuch bhi ho, mujhe batao."

(Yes, I know. That's why I am saying you should have told me. Whatever happens in the future, let me know.)

"Ji, mummy," Uswa nodded.

(Ok, mummy.)

"Chalo, ab jo hona tha hua, kal tumhare papa Hayder aur Dawar dono se baat karenge. Tum jao so jao, late ho raha haina." Rabia dismisses the conversation. She knew what Uswa did was wrong, but her intentions were pure, she was just worried for Hyra. Besides, what's done is done, she cannot keep scolding Uswa for this. She just has to make Uswa understand that not every matter should be shared with anyone.

(Okay, now whatever had to happen has happened. Tomorrow, your dad will talk to both Hayder and Dawar. You go and sleep, it's getting late,)

Uswa nodded and left for her room.

•••

The soft rays of the morning sun gently filtered through the curtains, illuminating the room where Hyra sat on the edge of the bed, lost in thought. The night was long, and her heart still ached from the recent event. Being alone in this unfamiliar room, her sense of vulnerability intensified, and she found it hard to sleep last night.

As the moments passed, she recalled her conversation with Dawar.

After morning prayer, when Hyra left her room to get water, she saw Dawar returning from mosque. Hyra decided to ask him to drop her to Hayder's house, just like Arzoo wanted her to do.

"Chachi ne kaha haina?" Dawar knew her very well, and this was his first question when he heard that she wanted to go back to Hayder's house. Hyra looked away.

(Chachi asked you to say that, right?)

Nervously, Hyra was sitting on the sofa, while Dawar sat on the other sofa, concern etched on his face. The room is filled with tension as they discuss her recent ordeal.

"Hyra, tum hamesha dusro ki marzi se nahi chal sakti, insan ho, puppet nahi. Kabhi apne opinion bhi rakha karo, sahi ho ya galat, tumhe kya chahiye yeh batao."

(Hyra, you can't always be controlled by others' decisions; you are a human, not a puppet. Sometimes, have your own opinion, whether it's right or wrong, just say what you want.)

"Dawar Bhai, main janti hoon aap fikarmand hain lekin... choti si baat ki misunderstanding ho gayi thi, Hayder ne toh kabhi... kabhi kuch nahi kiya jaisa apne uss waqt socha tha." Hyra hesitated.

(Dawar Bhai, I know you are concerned, but... it was just a small misunderstanding. Hayder has never... never done anything like what you thought at that time.)

"I agree. Uss waqt thande dimagh se nahi soch raha tha, mujhe laga Hayder tumhe mistreat karta hai aur iss liye tumhe waha se lana behtar samjha."

(At that time, I wasn't thinking rationally; I thought Hayder mistreats you, and that's why bringing you from there would be better.)

"Lekin, Hyra, theek hai Hayder ne kabhi tumpe hath nahi uthaya, lekin tumhara uske darr se behosh hona bhi sahi nahi. Yeh physical abuse nahi hai lekin psychological abuse hai. Tumhari health ke liye bilkul sahi nahi." Dawar's voice was gentle yet firm as he tried to make her understand.

(But, Hyra, it's true that Hayder has never raised his hand on you, but fainting out of fear is also not right. It may not be physical abuse, but it's psychological abuse. It's not at all good for your health.)

"Aisi baat toh nahi hai, woh bade hain, woh daat dete hain bas..." Hyra's eyes widened at the mention of abuse. She didn't think it was this serious.

(It's not like that, he is elder, he just scold...)

Dawar took a defeated breath out. One of the main reasons why he was against this marriage was Hyra's age. She was too young to comprehend the challenges that come with marriage.

"Hyra, woh tumhara shohar hai, tumse bada hai, lekin iska yeh hargiz matlab nahi ki uska gussa jayaz hai."

(Hyra, he is your husband, older than you, but that doesn't mean his anger is justified.)

Hyra opened her mouth to say something, but again closed it.

"Kya hua, Bolo?" Dawar encouraged her, putting his hand on her shoulder.

(What happened, tell me?)

"Main... main mamma ko disappoint nahi karna chahti." Her voice cracked as she spoke. Since she got married, Arzoo had told her only one thing that she has to make this marriage work.

(I – I don't want to disappoint mama.)

"Hyra, tumhari khushiyan aur wellbeing zyada matter rakhta hai. You deserve to be treated with love and respect, not fear and intimidation."

(Hyra, your happiness and wellbeing matter the most. You deserve to be treated with love and respect, not fear and intimidation.)

"Main bas tumhara achha chahta hoon. Tumhe wapas jana hai, toh main le chalunga. Lekin abhi nahi, kuch din durr rahogi Hayder toh shayad apne rishte ke barey mein zyada behtar tareeqa se soch sakogi. Aur fir Hayder ko bhi ehsas hona chahiye tumhara. Ussey, aur apne rishte ko waqt do." Patting her head, Dawar advised her and left.

(I just want what's best for you. If you want to go back, I will take you. But not right now, you should live here for a few days so that Hayder can perhaps think more clearly about your relationship. And Hayder should also realize your worth. Give him, and your relationship, some time.)

Dawar told her to take her own decisions, but what did she want. She was not happily married, but again, when she got married, she had accepted the marriage wholeheartedly. But when Hayder told her this marriage meant nothing to him, she had silently stepped back. But she never thought of leaving Hayder. Now what she is supposed to do, do what she always did or just sit back and see what would be outcome of this?

Her head again started hurting, as she held it in her hands to stop thinking about this.
Her phone started ringing from side table, making her jump. Then she quickly leaped for it, Uswa's name flashed on the screen, and her eyes, which were hopeful, again dimmed. She put the phone away, not wanting to talk to anyone.

"Unhe mera kyu khayal ayega." She mumbled.

(Why'd he think of me?)

Whenever he had to leave for business, he always called her, but only to ask about others. Why would he call her now.

•••

The morning sun seeped through the curtains, casting a soft glow on the room. Hayder stirred, slowly waking from his slumber. His surroundings seemed unfamiliar for a moment, and as he sat up, the realization dawned upon him. He was sleeping on the sofa.

After he returned to his room last night, he sat on the sofa for some time, he didn't realise when sleep took over him and he slept on the sofa.

•••

The aroma of tea leaves filled the air, but Uswa's attention was not on the tea, she was clutching her phone, thinking Hyra was angry at her and that's why she didn't receive the call.

Rafey, having returned from his month-long absence, tiptoed towards the kitchen door. His heart raced with anticipation as he watched Uswa from the doorway, her back turned to him. He had missed her dearly during his time away, and now he couldn't wait to see the look of surprise and joy on her face.

Rafey stepped into the kitchen, his footsteps barely making a sound on the tiled floor. Uswa didn't hear him coming in, she was about to dial Hyra's number again when he came to stood behind her.

"Hello!" He whispered, startling her, as she turned around, her eyes widened in disbelief. Her hand instinctively went to her heart. He laughed at her reaction.

"Rafey?" she gasped. "Aap kab aye?"

(When did you come?)

"Raat ko." He informed her, then went to stood beside her, "Kya hua? Khushi nahi hui dekhke?" He asked.

(At night. What happened? You aren't happy seeing me?)

"Nahi, aisi baat nahi woh bas..." She shook her head and was about to tell him that she is worried for Hyra, but stopped herself.

(No, it's not like that...)

"Mamu kaise hain?" She managed to smile.

(How's your uncle?)

"Ab pehle se kafi theek hain." He answered.

(Now, he's better than before.)

As the morning light continued to fill the room, Rafey looked at Uswa with affection, cherishing the warmth of her presence. The teapot on the stove let out a gentle whistle, startling him. Uswa turned off the flame.

"Apke liye coffee bana doon?" She turned to him.

(Shall I make coffee for you?)

"Aur nashta bhi banao, maine nashta nahi kiya." Pouting, he told her. Kubra has made aloo ka paratha, but he wanted to have breakfast with Uswa.

(And make breakfast too, I haven't had breakfast.)

Uswa nodded, a radiant smile on her face. When he was away, she missed him a lot.

•••

Hayder stood before the mirror, adjusting his tie with a distracted gaze. As he straightened his collar, his thoughts drifted back to the previous evening.

"Mujhe laga rishta ke liye haan karna ya mana karna Kubra api ka haq hai, unhe yeh chance milna chahiye ki ek baar mil lein." Hyra's words echoed in his mind.

(I felt that it is Kubra Aapi's right to say yes or no for the proposal, she should be given the chance to meet Sarim at least once.)

He couldn't talk to Hyra about Kubra that time, thinking this was not the right time as she is already sick and weak. He thought that he will talk to Hyra about it once they will return home, but before he could fully grasp the situation, Hyra left with Dawar.

Hayder sighed and looked at himself in the mirror. He could feel the weight of Hyra's words, the weight of his sister's happiness, and the weight of his own uncertainties. The proposal loomed large, and he realized that he couldn't simply let it pass without consulting Kubra.

The girl he refers to as unintelligent wasn't really that foolish. She deeply understands the significance of relationships and values the feelings of others.

Hayder straightened his shoulders and grabbed his car keys. He would talk to Kubra today, find out what was truly in her heart. He would let Kubra make her own decisions.

•••

How's it?

Ik ik ik, y'all want Hayder to regret and miss Hyra and value her and etc etc... 🙊 but that's something which can not happen in just one minute.

-Ufaq

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

827K 37.2K 57
"Will, you ever move on, forget him?" Her friend asked. "He is my breath and I will forget him when I forget to breathe." She answered with a smile o...
397K 11.7K 42
WARNING: THIS BOOK NEEDS MAJOR EDITING (Book I in broken series) "What are you doing on my bed? Get down right now." He growled. i got startled and...
485K 27.1K 82
BOOK 1 OF 'The WAR of Dynasties' SERIES ✨ Princess Chandralekha was born in a royal family and was promised to the wealthiest king, but little did sh...