Blue Eyes {Sokka x Reader} (A...

By FandomQuack

She's a cold hearted fire nation nonbender on a search for the Avatar with her twin brother, Zuko, and uncle... More

Prologue
Book 1 ๐ŸŒŠ Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Book 2 ๐Ÿชจ Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23 - Tales of Ba Sing Se
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Book 3 ๐Ÿ”ฅ Chapter 27

Chapter 22

418 11 2
By FandomQuack

I was in the path of totality for the eclipse today. Really cool, but it made me think about Avatar. Would had been cooler if I'd busted my butt and gotten to the eclipse episode to post today, but I got post-breakup depression like a chump. I'm doing better though, and intend to post more often again. I've really appreciated everyone's love of this books, and I'm excited to write for it more.

🌷(Y/n) P.O.V.🌷

After getting rid of the Firenation drill for the Ba Sing Se soldiers, we were granted a ride into the city on the monorail. "Look, the Inner Wall!" Katara announces. "I can't believe we finally made it to Ba Sing Se in one piece."

"Hey, don't jinx it! We can still be attacked by some giant exploding Fire Nation spoon. Or find out the city's been submerged in an ocean full of killer shrimp!" Sokka says. "You been hitting the cactus juice again?" I ask, rolling my eyes. "I'm just sayin', weird stuff happens to us." Aang stares out the window silently. The drill had taken time away for looking for our furry friend. "Don't worry Aang, we'll find Appa." Katara assures. "It's such a big city." He responds doubtfully. "He's a giant bison! Where could someone possibly hide him?" Sokka asks. I don't voice it, but I know it won't be that easy. I don't want to get into my involvement with illegal merchants with this group, so I guess I'll just have to worry about that part silently.

Ba Sing Se stretches almost as far as our eyes can see, and it has many busy roads and buildings. I wonder how my uncle ever managed to get within the wall. The train enters the monorail station, stopping there. "Back in the city. Great." Toph sighs. "What's the problem? It's amazing!" Sokka says. I smile fondly. At least one of us is excited. "It's just a bunch of walls and rules. You wait, you'll get sick of it in a couple of days." She insists. On the other side of the track there is a woman with long dark hair that billows in the wind. She approaches us with an aggressively wide smile on her face. "Hello, my name is Joo Dee! I have been given the great honor of showing the Avatar around Ba Sing Se. And you must be Sokka, Katara, Toph, and Li! Welcome to our wonderful city. Shall we get started?" She introduces, using the fake name I'd given the generals earlier. While unlikely, I didn't want to risk anyone knowing about my Firenation heritage.

"Yes. We have information about the Fire Nation army that we need to deliver to the Earth King, immediately." Sokka tells her. She doesn't even seemed fazed. "Great! Let's begin our tour. And then I'll show you to your new home here. I think you'll like it!" She just redirects like we're distractable children. "Ugh! Maybe you missed what I said. We need to talk to the king about the War, it's important." Sokka reiterates. "You're in Ba Sing Se now. Everyone is safe here." This is becoming freakier by the second.

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨 

"This is the Lower Ring." Joo Dee in forms from inside the ostrich horse drawn carriage. Refugees line the streets, looking dirty and sad, but also curious. "What's that wall for?" Katara asks. "Oh, Ba Sing Se has many walls! There are the ones outside protecting us, and the ones inside, that help maintain order. This is where our newest arrivals live, as well as our craftsman and artisans, people that work with their hands. It's so quaint and lively!" I notice two men conversing in an alley. One of them is holding a large sword that glistens in the light. Both glare at the carriage as it passes. Yeah, lively. "You do want to watch your step, though." I am still disgusted by the walls. Though classism is a problem in the Firenation, not even we created physical barriers.

"Why do they have all these poor people blocked off in one part of the city?" Katara asks, almost voicing my thoughts. "This is why I never came here before. I always heard it was so different from the way the monks taught us to live." Aang says. I look out the window, feeling awkward. I notice an older man carrying a large vase filled with to the brim with orange flowers. They cover his face, making it easy for me to imagine Uncle. Always finding random things to 'brighten the place.' I smile fondly until my heart squeezes with grief, not knowing if he's even alive anymore.

We pass through a level of the walls, and Joo Dee continues talking. "This is the Middle Ring of Ba Sing Se, home to the financial district, shops and restaurants, and the university."

"Yeah, we met a professor from the Ba Sing Se University. He took us to an ancient underground library where we discovered information about the war that is absolutely crucial for the King to hear!" Sokka says insistently. Joo Dee just smiles impossibly wide. "Isn't history fascinating? Look, here's one of the oldest buildings in the Middle Ring, Town Hall!" The carriage stops and Joo Dee exits. Sokka stares at her, annoyed. "Is that woman deaf? She only seems to hear every other word I say." Sokka snaps. "It's called 'being handled'. Get used to it." Toph educates. "When royalty doesn't want to be bothered, the staff does anything to make sure they aren't." I add.

Finally, we make it to the last ring. "The Upper Ring is home to our most important citizens. Your house is not too far from here!" We pass another wall with a tall gate. Behind it, the roof of an enormous building can be seen. "What's inside that wall?" Three men are standing in the gateway, wearing dark robes and wide brimmed hats. They turn their eyes toward the group, looking somewhat hateful at us. "And who're the mean-looking guys in robes?"

"Inside is the Royal Palace. Those men are agents of the Dai Li, the cultural authority of Ba Sing Se. They are the guardians of all our traditions!"

"Can we see the king now?" Aang asks pointedly. "Oh no, one doesn't just pop in on the Earth King!" I give a huff in annoyance. Aang nods his head, sadly. "Here we are! Your new home. As we exit, a messenger comes, gives Joo Dee a scroll, and promptly leaves. "More good news! Your request for an audience with the Earth King is being processed, and should be put through in about month. Much more quickly than usual!"

"A month?"

"Six to eight weeks, actually." She smiles widely as if she doesn't know the inconvenience of her actions. She turns attention to her house. "Isn't it nice? I think you'll really enjoy it here."

"I think we would enjoy it more if we weren't staying for so long. Can't we see the Earth King any sooner?" Sokka asks. "The Earth King is very busy running the finest city in the world! But he will see you as soon as time permits."

"If we're going to be here for a month, we should spend our time looking for Appa." Aang decides. Joo Dee bows. "I'd like to escort you anywhere you'd like to go." Well this is going to be a disaster.

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

Like I said, disaster. She scared anyone off if they even had an inkling of knowledge. We make it back to the house, and Joo Dee remains in the carriage. "Well, I'm sorry no one has seen your bison. Why don't you go get some rest‌? Someone will be over with dinner, later." As the carriage drives off, we notice a man in the house across from us peeking through a window. Sokka gestures to us to follow him. "Hey, come with me." Sokka knocks on the front door, and the man appears and opens the door, smiling at us. "You're the Avatar! I heard you were in town. I'm Pong." Aang smiles. "Nice to meet you, Pong."

"So, Pong, what's goin' on with this city? Why is everyone here so scared here to talk about the war?" Pong shifts his eyes around. "War? Scared? What do you mean?"

"I can feel you shaking." Tops says. "Look, I'm just a minor government official. I've waited three years to get this house. I don't want go get into trouble."

"Get in trouble with who?" I press. "Shh, listen, you can't mention the War here. And whatever you do, stay away from the Dai Li." As he closes the door, everyone looks at each other's faces in confusion. Something is very wrong with this city.

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

"I got it! I know how we're going to see the Earth King!" Katara announces excitedly. "How are we supposed to do that? 'One doesn't just pop in on the Earth King!'" Toph mocks Joo Dee, and I chuckle. "The king is having a party at the palace tonight for his pet bear." Katara reads. "You mean, platypus bear?" Aang asks. "No, it just says 'bear'."

"Certainly you mean his pet skunk bear."

"Or his armadillo bear."

"Gopher bear?"

"Just ... bear." There's a moment of silence. "This place is weird." Toph speaks for all of us. "The palace will be packed. We can sneak in with the crowd!" Katara puts us back on track. "Won't work." Toph and I say at the same time. "Why not?" She asks. "Well, no offense to you simple country folk, but a real society crowd will spot you a mile away. You've got no manners!" Tops tells them. "Excuse me? I've got no manners? You're not exactly lady fancy fingers!" Toph burps, as if agreeing. "I learned proper society behavior and chose to leave it. You never learned anything. And frankly, it's a little too late."

"She's right. It's going to be filled with a bunch of snobs who expect absolute perfection. They will not want to rub elbows with the common folk." I agree. "Aha, but you learned it! You could teach us!" Socks insists. "Yeah, I'm mastering every element. How hard could manners be‌?" Aang grabs a nearby curtain and puts it around himself like a noble's robe, and talks in a mock sophisticated voice. "Good evening, Mr. Sokka Water Tribe, Ms. Katara Water Tribe, Lord Momo of the Momo Dynasty. Your Momo-ness." Sokka also takes one of the curtains. "Avatar Aang, how do you do? Go on." Aang bows to Sokka, and Sokka, trying to outdo Aang's bow, bows back. Aang tries to further out do Sokka's bow with a deeper bow and Sokka returns this bow with an even deeper bow. Both of them try to bow at the same time, but they knock each other's foreheads' together and fall down. I roll my eyes, but smile. "Katara might be able to pull it off, but you two would be lucky to pass as busboys!" Toph sighs. "But I feel so fancy!" Sokka argues.

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

Katara, Toph and I enter the room wearing makeup, exquisite Earth Kingdom dresses, and holding a fan each. Toph and Katara stare at the boys calmly before giving in to a fit of giggles. I fidget uncomfortable. The silks are soft and fit well, but much different from the cloths and attire I'm typically used to for formal events. "Wow, you look beautiful." Aang says, clearly directing it at Katara. Sokka flicks Aang's forehead, but I notice his cheeks tint pink when he looks at me. Katara opens her mouth to reply to Aang's compliment, but is stopped by Toph placing her fans in front of her mouth. "Don't talk to the commoners, Katara. First rule of society." Toph and I usher Katara to leave. "We'll get in the party, and then find a way to let you in through the side gate." Katara assures.

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

"Another crab puff, please." I ask, fan over my face. Sokka leans in, eyes closed, with his tray out to hand me a puff, clearly unaware it's me. In a moment of masked confidence, I say, "You make a cute busboy." His eyes fly open, and looks at me with confusion. "You found us!" Aang realizes immediately. "I'd know your little footsteps anywhere, Twinkle Toes." Toph tells him as she and Katara catch up to me. Sokka blushes a little at my comment once he realizes who I am. "Thanks for letting us in!" He hisses. "Sorry, but the guy who escorted us in won't let us out of his sight!" Katara informs. "What guy?" Sokka asks in confusion. I turn to point Long Feng out, but now he's nowhere to be seen. Instead, Joo Dee approaches anxiously. "What are you doing here? You have to leave immediately, or we will be in terrible trouble!" Joo Dee tries to push Sokka, but he blocks her with his tray. "Not until we see the king." 

"You don't understand. You must go." Joo Dee shoves Sokka on Aang, causing him to spill the water inside the pitcher he was carrying on a guest, who shouts. "Sorry. No, don't shout." Aang uses his hands and foot to airbend a gust at the guest. His hat is blown off, along with Momo. It dries the water on her, but also turns her hair, clothes, and makeup into a mess, leading Aang to smile sheepishly. The guest is briefly shocked, but luckily, smiles in amazement. "The Avatar! I didn't know the Avatar would be here." All the guests' attention is now focused on Aang. I notice Joo Dee's large, happy smile quickly turns to a frown and dread. Aang blushes and waves at the crowd, laughing nervously. Sokka whispers something to him, and he shouts, "Watch this, everybody!" Aang jumps out of his busboy clothes and lands on the long dining table as Sokka walks off into the crowd. I decide to follow him. He looks at me and wordlessly grabs my hand. 

Soon, eight guards are carrying a curtained palanquin, The Earth King sitting on the platform. The crowd marvels in the Earth King's presence. It's startling to me to see subjects adore their ruler, rather then fear him. "Aang! The Earth King!" Sokka signals. I try to shush him, but fail to in time. "No! Don't make a scene!" Aang notices him and bends an air scooter, whisking down the table. "Greetings, Your Majesty." Almost immediately, the platform is carried off while a line of guards walk up to the long dining table. Sokka and I try to follow the king, but Dai Li agents grab us, pulling our arms behind our backs. "Get your hands off me!" I seethe. They take us to a library where Long Feng sits in front of a hearth that illuminates the area with a green flame. "Why won't you let us talk to the king? We have information that could defeat the Fire Nation!" Sokka reveals.

"The Earth King has no time to get involved with political squabbles and the day to day minutia of military activities." Long Feng insists. "This could be the most important thing he's ever heard." Aang argues. "What's most important to his royal majesty is maintaining the cultural heritage of Ba Sing Se. All his duties relate to issuing decrees on such matters. It's my job to oversee the rest of the city's resources, including the military."

"So the king is just a figurehead." Katara summarizes. "He's your puppet!" Toph says angrily. "Oh, no, no. His Majesty is an icon, a god to his people. He can't sully his hands with the hourly change of an endless war." 

"But we found out about a solar eclipse that will leave the Fire Nation defenseless. You could lead an invasion." Long Feng stands up, annoyed. "Enough! I don't want to hear your ridiculous plan. It is the strict policy of Ba Sing Se that the War not be mentioned within the walls. Constant news of an escalating war will throw the citizens of Ba Sing Se into a state of panic. Our economy would be ruined, our peaceful way of life, our traditions, would disappear. In silencing talk of conflict, Ba Sing Se remains a peaceful, orderly utopia: the last one on Earth." I clench my fists in anger. "That's ridiculous. How do you explain where all the refugees came from? You can't just avoid a subject because it's uncomfortable, and you can't avoid this war. The Firenation was right outside your doorstep when we got here, it's only a matter of time before they reach you too. Something has to be done, you pompous, ignorant jerk!" He seems unaffected by my words other then the slight scowl on his lips.

"I'll tell them! I'll make sure everyone knows!" Aang insists. "Until now, you've been treated as our honored guest. But from now on, you will be watched every moment by Dai Li agents. If you mention the War to anyone, you will be expelled from the city. I understand you've been looking for your bison. It would be quite a shame if you were not able to complete your quest. Now, Joo Dee will show you to your home." We look to where the girl is approaching from, but I'm shocked to see a different person. She looks eerily similar, but vastly different at the same time. "Come with me, please." 

"What happened to Joo Dee?" Katara asks. "I'm Joo Dee. I'll be your host as long as you're in our wonderful city." She smiles cheerfully in the same artificial way. I feel like throwing up. What had they done to the girl because of us? Was this place really any better than the Firenation? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258K 7.2K 40
๐Š๐š๐ข๐๐š ๐๐ฎ๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ˆ๐œ๐ž | ส™แดแดแด‹ แด›สœส€แด‡แด‡: า“ษชส€แด‡ โ I'm not that stupid girl you led on before. โž โœŽ ๐€๐ฏ๐š๐ญ๐š๐ซ: ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐‹๐š๐ฌ๐ญ ๐€๐ข๐ซ๐›๐ž๐ง๐๐ž...
203K 6.6K 30
๐Š๐š๐ข๐๐š ๐๐ฎ๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ˆ๐œ๐ž | ส™แดแดแด‹ แด›แดกแด: แด‡แด€ส€แด›สœ โ I'm doing this because I care about the people who need help. โž โœŽ ๐€๐ฏ๐š๐ญ๐š๐ซ: ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐‹๐š๐ฌ๐ญ...
298 19 6
In the heart of the Northern Water Tribe, the Avatar and his friends stand united against the looming threat of the Fire Nation. As Aang grapples wit...
500 34 20
Sora had a boring life in a small village. Nothing ever happened and nothing ever kept her here. One day, a guy and his uncle came to the small healt...