Blue Eyes {Sokka x Reader} (A...

By FandomQuack

She's a cold hearted fire nation nonbender on a search for the Avatar with her twin brother, Zuko, and uncle... More

Prologue
Book 1 ๐ŸŒŠ Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Book 2 ๐Ÿชจ Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 - Tales of Ba Sing Se
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Book 3 ๐Ÿ”ฅ Chapter 27

Chapter 21

732 19 9
By FandomQuack

🌷 (Y/n) P.O.V. 🌷

We sit on the edge of large pond. Katara and Aang play around while Toph sits at the bank. Toph can't swim, and Sokka was obsessing over the maps from the library, so they had originally asked me to swim with them for relaxation sake. I had refused, simply saying I wasn't in the mood. If they'd noticed me picking at the coverings on my arm, they didn't show it. Only Sokka spared me a knowing glance. Katara jumps off a nearby cliff, causing a huge wave to splash the three of us on the bank. "Watch it!" I snap, worrying it could have washed the wrappings off.

"Sure, five thousand year-old maps from the spirit library. Just splash some water on 'em." Sokka complains, waving the maps out. "Sorry." Katara says, bending the water off the map. "So, did you figure out what route we're going to take?" Aang asks. "Okay, we just got out of the desert, so we must be around here," he points out, "and we need to go to Ba Sing Se, which is here. It looks like the only passage connecting the south to the north is this sliver of land called the Serpent's Pass." 

"That sounds delightful." I remark dryly. "You sure that's the best way to go?" Toph adds. "It's the only way. I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there." Sokka oh-so-helpfully reminds. "Shush up about Appa. Can't you at least try to be sensitive?" Katara scolds. "Katara, it's okay. I know I was upset about losing Appa before, but I just want to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse." Aang says unconvincingly. "Oh... well, okay. I'm glad you're doing better." Katara says slowly.

"Then to Ba Sing Se we go. No more distractions." As if the universe hates Sokka specifically, three travelers catch our attention. "Hello there, fellow refugees!" The man calls. "So, you guys are headed to Ba Sing Se, too?" Aang asks. "Sure are. We're trying to get there before my wife Ying has her baby."

"Great! We can travel through the Serpent's Pass together." Katara suggests. The group looks up in shock. "The Serpent's Pass? Only the truly desperate take that deadly route!"

"Deadly route." Toph punches Sokka in the arm. "Great pick, Sokka!"

"Well, we are desperate." Sokka reminds. "You should come with us to Full Moon Bay. Ferries take refugees across the lake. It's the fastest way to Ba Sing Se." The man informs. "And it's hidden, so the Fire Nation can't find it." Ah yes, hidden from Firenation... "Hmm ... peaceful ferry ride or deadly pass?" Katara pretends to contemplate. 

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

"I can't believe how many people's lives have been uprooted by the Fire Nation." Katara says once we arrive. I can't help but agree. I feel guilty and angry that I belonged to the problem. "We're all looking for a better life, safe behind the walls of Ba Sing Se." These poor people look sick and frail and filled with despair. I was taught we were sharing greatness. Instead, we made people fear us, hate us. Things like this reminds me why I left. 

We wait in line for the tickets. The man in front of us is trying to get his cabbage cart on board. "I told you already; no vegetables on the ferry! One cabbage slug could destroy the entire ecosystem of Ba Sing Se! Security!" A platypus bear destroys the cabbage cart. "Ahhh! My cabbages!" The man yells as he's dragged away. I barely contain my snicker, and Sokka elbows me in the side to quiet me. "Next!"

"Um, four tickets for the ferry to Ba Sing Se, please." Aang asks. "Passports?"

"Uh ... no one told us we had to have passports."

"Don't you know who this is? He's the Avatar!" Sokka intervenes. "Ah, I see fifty Avatars a day and, by the way, not a very impressive costume." She points to where several boys are poorly dressed like Aang. Aang nods approvingly, unfortunately. "Besides, no animals allowed. Do I need to call security?" The woman threatens. "That won't be necessary."

"Next!"

"I'll take care of this. My name is Toph Beifong, and I'll need four tickets." Toph presents her with some sort of form. "Ah, the golden seal of the flying boar! It is my pleasure to help anyone of the Beifong family." 

"It is your pleasure. As you can see, I am blind and these four imbeciles are my valets." She gestures at us dramatically. "But, the animal-"

"Is my seeing-eye lemur." 

"Well, normally it's only one ticket per passport, but this document is so official... I guess it's worth five tickets." She stamps the seal on the pieces of paper, which Toph takes with flourish. "Thank you very much." 

"To bad we can't use your royal status." Sokka teases as we walk away. I roll my eyes at him, but give a small smile nonetheless. "All right, we scammed that lady good!" He cheers once we're a safe distance away. Not far away enough it seems, as a security guard roughly grabs him. "Tickets and passports please." She demands. "Is there a problem?" I ask, getting defensive. I force my way between them, and she lets go without resistance. "Yeah, I got a problem with you! I've seen his type before. Probably sarcastic, think you're hilarious and let me guess, you're traveling with the Avatar." Catching on that they know each other, I back off, but Sokka doesn't recognize her right away. "Do I know you?" 

"You mean you don't remember? Maybe you'll remember this!" Quickly, she kisses Sokka on the cheek. "Suki!" He exclaims before embracing her. "Sokka, it's good to see you!" I quickly step out of their way, and try to ignore the tight, burning knot in my stomach. I can't be mad, he was never mine. Of course there is another girl, or rather, there is a girl. I was never his. Still, it hurts. Suddenly I regret sharing so much with him. I know it's not fair, I know that's how people become friends, but why couldn't there be more? 

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

I watch as the group speaks with her, remaining quiet after a brief introduction. Well, more quiet then usual. "You look so different without your makeup! And the new outfit." 

"That crabby lady makes all the security guards wear them. And look at you, sleeveless guy. Been working out?" Containing my anger was never one of my strong suits, but at least I manage it today. "Ahhh, I'll grab a tree branch and do a few chin touches every now and then. Nothing major." 

"Are the other Kyoshi Warriors around?" Aang asks. The conversation dies away in my ears. My anger fades to guilt as I'm reminded of that place, and how we left it. If she recognized me, she didn't show it at all. I'm also reminded of how often and how harshly I'd attacked Sokka and the others. How could he ever have feelings for me? Obviously he'd choose the girl who's always been on his side. I only come to when I hear, "Avatar Aang, you have to help us! Someone took all of our belongings; our passports, our tickets, everything's gone!" The pregnant refugee cries. "I'll talk to the lady for you." Aang assures.

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

The ticket lady, unsurprisingly, turned us away. Hoping to grant safe passage, Aang decided we'd take them through Serpent's Pass. "I can't believe we gave up our tickets and now we're going through the Serpent's Pass." Sokka complains. "I can't believe you're still complaining about it." 

"I'm coming too!" I turn, and it's Suki dressed in the Kyoshi attire. Internally, I pout about it. Of course she'd come and ruin my day. "Are you sure that's a good idea?" Sokka asks. For a moment, my heart lifts. Maybe I was wrong about how her felt about her. "Sokka, I thought you'd want me to come." She admits. "I do, it's just–"

"Just what?" 

"Nothing. I'm glad you're coming." My heart plummets again when I realize he's just being protective. We travel a small distance to the opening of the pass. It's appearance doesn't seem too threatening, but I still have a bad feeling. Maybe that's just my jealousy though. "This is the Serpent's Pass? I thought it would be a little more wind-y, you know, like a serpent. Huh, I guess they misnamed it." Sokka decides. "Look at this writing! How awful!"

"What does it say?" Toph asks. "It says, 'abandon hope'" I read for her, coming off a little condescending. For once, I didn't mean it. I can't help being upset right now. If she noticed, which I'm sure she did, she doesn't comment on it. "How can we abandon hope? It's all we have!"

"I don't know. The monks used to say that hope was just a distraction, so maybe we do need to abandon it." Aang says. I look at him curiously. "What are you talking about?" Katara asks. "Hope is not going to get us into Ba Sing Se and it's not going to help find Appa. We need to focus on what we're doing right now and that's getting across this path." 

"I can't say I disagree, but that sounds like me talking, not you." I point out. "It's just a thought." He replies defensively. "Okay, if you say so." Katara says, clearly upset by it as well. "The Fire Nation controls the western lake. Rumor has it they're working on something big on the other side of it and don't want anyone to find out what it is." Suki informs as we start walking along the cliff. I have a few general ideas of what it could be, but I've been gone so long I can't be sure of anything. Out to sea, I notice a Fire Nation ship. A part of my longs for the familiar steel walls, however dark. I long for my family, and I long for understanding. I long to feel like I know what my role is; capture the Avatar, bring glory to my Nation, perhaps become a glorious military leader like my uncle. But I know this is better. I know that however confused, I'm on the brighter path.

 A part of the rock gives out, causing the man to fall. Toph stops him from falling and lifts him back up with earthbending. "I'm okay!" The rock falls to the water, which the Fire Nation ship notices. It fires without question. "They've spotted us! Let's go, let's go!" Aang gets on his glider and deflects the fireball back. Another fireball hits the mountain, causing several pieces of rock over Suki to fall. Sokka pushes her out of the way. Toph bends out a part of the mountain to keep the rocks from falling on him. "Suki, are you okay? You have to be more careful! Come on!" Beside me, Toph starts mocking him. "'Thanks for saving my life, Toph.' Hey, no problem, Sokka." I chuckle. We continue walking, but the group is clearly on edge. Slowly, Toph and I start to trail the group. At first, I suspected she was having trouble with the terrain, but I should have known better. Her true motive comes out when she asks, "You're jealous, aren't you?" I simply refuse to answer, knowing I can't lie to someone who can feel my heart beating. "I knew it." She smiles to herself. "Doesn't matter. He can do as he pleases." 

Hours later, at sunset, we set up camp for the night. Sokka approaches Suki, not escaping my attention. "Suki, you shouldn't sleep there. Who knows how stable this ledge is, it could give away at any moment!" He moves her sleeping bag farther in. "Sokka, I'm fine, stop worrying!" 

"You're right, you're right, you're perfectly capable of taking care of yourself! Wait! Oh, never mind, I thought I saw a spider, but, you're fine." The behavior is so strange to me. Where did the inane fretting come from? It's so different from how he's treated me, but he treats me so different from how he treats the others. How am I supposed to make any sense of emotions when everyone does different things for everyone they know? 

"If only looks could kill, huh?" A voice asks beside me. It's Katara, who lays her sleeping bag next to mine. "What do you mean?" I ask casually. "Come on, (Y/n), you're not exactly good at hiding it." I look away in shame. "I don't know what to do." I admit quietly. "You could tell him." She suggests caringly. "No." I look at them sadly. "He cares about her. It would just hurt me." She follows my gaze, and puts her hand on my shoulder for comfort. "He cares about you, too." She assures. "Not like that. But it's okay. I'll move on. You should probably check in with Aang." I encourage. She doesn't look like she believes me, but does as I say.

As the night goes on, the group falls to sleep one by one. Not me. Not Sokka or Suki either. He sits on the ledge, and she joins him. "It's a beautiful moon." She says as she approaches him. "Yeah, it really is." He responds distractedly. "Look, I know you're just trying to help, but I can take care of myself." 

"I know you can."

"Then why are you acting so overprotective?" She pushes. "It's so hard to lose someone you care about. Something happened at the North Pole and I couldn't protect someone. I don't want anything like that to ever happen again." Suddenly I feel bad for eavesdropping on the vulnerable moment, but the damage is done. "I lost someone I care about. He didn't die, he just went away. I only had a few days to get to know him, but he was smart and brave and funny." 

"Who is this guy? Is he taller than me?" For someone so intelligent, he's so dumb. "No, he's about your height." She teases. "Is he better-looking?" Dear spirits... "It is you, stupid!" She reveals. "Oh!" The two lean in to kiss. I feel close to heart shattering sobbing, but Sokka pulls back at the last moment. "I can't." He tells her. "I'm sorry." She says. "No, you shouldn't be." I close my eyes and pretend to sleep as they move away from each other. Now, I'm even more confused. What can I make of that?

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

We're quickly back to travelling once the morning comes. At some point, the path comes to an end, leading under water. "Everyone single file!" Katara divides the water, allowing everyone to walk through. "Aang, I need help!" Aang creates an air bubble around us. Momo's curiosity is aroused by the school of fish passing. I watch in amusement until a giant shadow passes over us. "What is that thing?" The shadow breaks through the water, too fast to be seen. Toph quickly uses her earthbending to raise the ground we are standing on above the water. The shadow is actually a large serpent, which appears from the water with a bellowing shriek. "I think I just figured out why they call it the Serpent's Pass!" Sokka declares. "You think?" I snap. "Suki, you know about giant sea monsters, make it go away!" Sokka deflects. "Just because I live near the unagi doesn't mean I'm an expert!" Sokka holds up Momo. "Oh great and powerful sea serpent, please accept this humble and tasty offering. Thank you."

"Sokka!" Aang blasts the serpent back with a burst of air. "I'll distract it. Katara, get everyone across!" He orders before flying off on his glider. Katara freezes the water to create an ice trail. Everyone except for Toph crosses. Katara tries to ice up the serpent, but it fails. "Toph, come on, it's just ice!" Sokka calls to her. "Actually, I'm going to stay on my little island, where I can see!" The serpent takes out half the island. She yells in surprise before saying, "Okay, I'm coming!" She walks across hesitantly. "You're doing great! Just follow the sound of my voice!" Sokka calls to her. "It's hard to ignore." She retorts. "You're almost there!" I encourage. Before she can reach, the serpent slams down the ice trail, dropping Toph into the water. "Help! I can't swim!" She shrieks. "I'm coming, Toph!" Before Sokka can do anything, I jump in the water. Toph falls below the water moments before I reach her, but luckily she's close enough to grab. "Oh Sokka, you saved me!" She kisses me on the cheek. "Ew! Toph!" I reply. "Oh... you can go ahead and let me drown now." She says, recognizing my voice. I swim to shore while Aang and Katara keep the serpent distracted. 

The groups cheers as we get to land, followed by a tense silence. "(Y/n)..." Katara trails off. I follow their gazes to my arm. Dread fills me as I realize that the wrapping had fallen away in the swim. "I...uh.." Suki removes the fabric belt from her waist, and quickly and gently wraps it around my arm. It doesn't work as well, but it gets the job done. "It's okay." She assures with a kind smile. There seems to be more meaning behind her words. I'm almost startled by her action, and embarrassed by my own. "Thank you." I mutter. Sokka comes up beside us, lifting me to my feet while Suki encourages the others to keep walking. "Are you okay?" He asks me. I simply shake my head.

Just as we're closing in on the wall of Ba Sing Se, the pregnant traveler goes into labor. "What? Now? Can't you hold it in or something?" Sokka asks. I smack his shoulder. "Sokka, calm down. I helped Gran-Gran deliver lots of babies back home." Katara reminds. "This isn't the same as delivering an arctic seal! This is a real... human... thing!" 

"It's called a baby and I helped her deliver plenty of those, too. Aang, get some rags. Sokka, water. Toph, I need you to make an earth tent, a big one. Suki, (Y/n), come with me." Katara delegates. 

🪨🪨🪨🪨🪨

"You're doing great, Ying. Sokka, where's that water? Now get ready to push. One, two, three, push!" Sokka walks in with the water with poor timing, passing out. I can't blame, not exactly loving the miracle of life myself. "Get him out." Katara orders. I quickly do so, helping him up and dragging him outside. What seems like moments later, a baby begins to cry. "It's a girl!" Katara calls to us. "So, you want to go see the baby, or are you going to faint like an old lady again?" Toph teases. "No, no, I'm good this time." We all enter the tent, Aang straggling until Katara says, "Aang, you have to come see this." 

"She sounds healthy." Toph notes. The mother seems pleased by the news. "She's beautiful." Katara says. "It's so ... squishy looking." I smack his shoulder once again, but agree with him internally. I notice Aang begins to smile, making me smile in turn. "What should we name her?" The father asks. "I want our daughter's name to be unique. I want it to mean something." 

"I've been going through a really hard time lately. But you've made me ... hopeful again." Aang tells them, wiping his eyes. "I know what I want to name our baby now. Hope." The mother decides. "That's a perfect name. Hope." We leave the family alone to have their moment. I'm surprised to find how sad I am. That she would be born into this war. But it also give me strength, and reminds me of the future we're fighting for. Though they may never know their family, at least any children I should bear will be born into a world with peace. "I promise, I'll find Appa as fast as I can. I just really need to do this." Aang tells us, preparing to head off ahead of us. "See you in the big city." Sokka says. "Say hi to that big fuzzball for me." Toph punches Aang in the arm. "Be careful. Illegal traders won't give him up. You'll have to take him back." I warn. He nods seriously, but smiles as if he understands it's my way of worrying. "You'll find him, Aang." 

"I know. Thank you, Katara. You ready, Momo?" Aang and Momo fly off. The rest wave goodbye. From the corner of my eye, I see Suki approach Sokka. I can't help but watch what could happen despite knowing it could break my heart. "Sokka, it's been really great to see you again." She starts. "Whoa, hold on. Why does it sound like you're saying goodbye?" 

"I came along because I wanted to make sure you got through the Serpent's Pass safely. But now I need to get back to the other Kyoshi Warriors." 

"So you came along to protect me?"

"Listen, I'm really sorry about last night. We were talking... and saying things... and I just got carried away and before I knew it-" Sokka embraces her tightly. "You talk too much." Once the let go, she walks away with a sad smile. I recognize that smile. She was hoping for something more. He watches her walk for some distance before turning back toward us. He notices that I was watching, and comes to join me. He takes my hand once he's close enough. "She's nice." I say. "Yeah." He smiles fondly at me, and squeezes my hand. "Ready for Ba Sing Se?" 

"I'm ready for this war to be over."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 31K 50
(Y/n) has had a hard life. Her mother was killed, father went to war, and had to protect her twin brother and little sister Sokka and Katara for as l...
283K 6.6K 49
โ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ'๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ซ๐ž๐ ๐ซ๐ž๐ญ ๐ฅ๐ž๐š๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฌ๐ข๐๐ž. ๐ˆ ๐ฌ๐ก๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐ง๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ ๐ก๐š๐ฏ๐ž ๐ญ๐ซ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ.โž โ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ'๐ซ๐ž ๐ซ๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ. ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๏ฟฝ...
1K 56 11
Sela is a firebender and her twin brother is a waterbender. Her mother is from the southern water tribe and her father is the Commander of the fire n...
202K 6.6K 30
๐Š๐š๐ข๐๐š ๐๐ฎ๐ž๐ž๐ง ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ˆ๐œ๐ž | ส™แดแดแด‹ แด›แดกแด: แด‡แด€ส€แด›สœ โ I'm doing this because I care about the people who need help. โž โœŽ ๐€๐ฏ๐š๐ญ๐š๐ซ: ๐“๐ก๐ž ๐‹๐š๐ฌ๐ญ...