Electric Tacos (Wattys 2023)

Autorstwa JohnnyTuturro

Ricky and Mateo are both slacking in school and in danger of failing their most feared subjects. After a reve... Więcej

PART ONE: THE ANGELS OF THE SOUTH
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
PART TWO: BROKEN HEARTS CLUB
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
PART THREE: TIMES ARE CHANGING
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
PART FOUR: A NEW ERA
TWENTY TWO
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
TWENTY NINE
PART FIVE: 1989
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
DEUCES (ABDRIGED VERSION)
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT

TWENTY SIX

2 0 0
Autorstwa JohnnyTuturro

The game finished 2-0.

Mateo was substituted when he walked out, but he didn't mind that.

He was glad that they won, and that the team was concerned for him, especially Coach Lopez, who was glad that he was going to play the next game.

He eventually calmed down by the end of the game (and drank a lot of water), and enjoyed the long, hot shower he had afterward. He got dressed for bed and enjoyed his long sleep.

The next afternoon, he got up and made himself some noodles for brunch.

It was half past twelve, and the house was empty, but he felt great. There was no one there to annoy him, and he could play music loudly, along with his coffee.

It was a new day.

He was ready to go to Chuck's birthday, and have some fun that night.

He was finally turning seventeen.

He'd been put back long enough, and couldn't wait to graduate.

Mateo looked up at the clock, and let out a sigh, realizing that he was going to be late to work. He said that he was going to help Sr. in the kitchen for a few hours, as Marisol manned the front of the restaurant. And then study with Ricky afterward.

He got up from the table after he'd finished his noodles, got a shower, and then dressed into his blue shirt, khaki shorts, sneakers, and cross necklace

He made sure that his hair was neat, slicked back and his teeth looked clean before he packed a spare change of clothes, cologne, Tres Flores, accessories into a backpack and took the spare key from under the kitchen rug, and set out of the house with his wallet.

He walked to work on the sunny side of the street and got there with two minutes to spare. Tito waved at him, and he waved back. He said 'hi' before going behind the counter, and into the kitchen to meet Sr., who was checking his watch:

"You made it on time, I'm impressed," Sr. said as he looked at Mateo. "And you look and smell like you want to be here."

Mateo rolled his eyes. "Not like I have much of a choice, I need money."

Sr. nodded. "We're going to be making a fresh batch of taquitos, and empanadas–"

"--Can we close the store, but stay open 'til seven tonight? It'll be easier for us to just go to the party from here after we finish up studying."

"So you're working 'til five tonight?"

Mateo nodded. "So, that's twenty-five dollars, right?"

"Yes. That should be enough to get you some gifts." Sr. said.

"Can I do a full shift next Saturday, a half shift after school on Tuesday, Thursday and two hours on Wednesday? I need the money, and I will show up."

Sr. nodded. "You'll be on the counter next Saturday, and in the kitchen the rest of the time."

"Thank you."

"No problem, now put on your hairnet, apron, and help me out."

They made food for the next three hours and organized them into different piles for the chefs to prepare. Mateo was glad for the break, and he made himself a strong cup of coffee.

Tito was still there, counting money and smoking a cigar. He was wearing a black and white suit, and a hat with shiny dress shoes. He looked official:

"Yo, carnalito get me a pot of coffee," Tito said to Mateo, who was walking toward him. Marisol was taking a break, too. "Thanks."

Mateo sat his cup of coffee down opposite Tito and walked over to the coffee machine, and made a large pot. He brought it back down to Tito and poured more into his cup.

He set it down in the middle of the table and smiled at Tito. "Hi."

"¿Qué onda?" Tito asked him.

"I'm good, bien y tu? I'm still revising my Spanish. I got an A+ in the class. It's easy."

Tito laughed. "Of course it is. You hear it all the time."

"True." Mateo took a sip out of his coffee, sat it down, and let out a nervous chuckle. "How's La Hermandad? I've been busy, and I haven't had time to hang out with you."

"Good. I'm glad you're focusing on school. Keep focusing on it. Don't take your health for granted, and don't forget to aim high. Take breaks if you need them. Don't become overwhelmed. I learned that a long time ago."

Mateo nodded as he tapped on the table. "How's Ricky? He's not mad at me for the soccer game incident?"

Tito shook his head. "He's not mad. He's glad you won the game. I was talking to him this morning when I went to fix Pops' radio."

"Good." Mateo nodded. He took a big sip out of the coffee, not caring how hot it was. "He should be coming soon. I can't wait. Working here's boring."

"Well, if you ever wanna fix that car with me, I'll pay you." Tito offered. "For the design, the paintwork and you helping me with the mechanics."

"Thanks, maybe in the New Year. I'm busy this week... very busy. I'll be here working a lot after school." Mateo admitted. "I need money for gifts and cinema trips."

"Ah, I see." Tito nodded. "Are you going to Chuck's party?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I hope you have fun, and stay away from Luis, and Lazaro, and Horatio."

"Can't you come and be my bodyguard?"

Tito shook his head. "I'll make things worse. You and Ricky have to be hombres now and stand up for yourselves. I did my part. You have to do the rest."

Mateo nodded back. Tito was right. "Thank you for that."

"And I understand, and know that it's gonna take you a while to get things sorted, but I'm glad to have helped mi carnalito in his moment of need."

Mateo smiled at him and sat finishing his coffee. "Thank you."

It was clear that Tito cared for him, but not in that way.

He wanted Mateo to realize that sooner, rather than later.

He sat and drank some more of his coffee and watched as a lady with dark, smokey eyeliner, red lips, long, wavy hair, leather jeans, a crop top, and heels. She sat down on the sofa beside Tito and gave him a kiss. Tito kissed her back on the lips.

"I want you to meet someone, Mateo, if that's okay with you."

Mateo sighed into himself before looking up and nodding. "Sure."

"This is my girlfriend, Andrea." He said back. "We've been dating for the past month."

"Hi, Andrea, nice to meet you. I'm Mateo." Mateo nodded and faintly smiled. "Tito's my friend."

Andrea smiled at him. "Nice to meet you, Mateo."

Mateo nodded, went quiet, and finished up his coffee. He looked up at the clock. He had forty-five minutes left on his shift. "I'm gonna go back to work. See you later."

Tito waved at Mateo as he walked away behind the counter, and into the kitchen.

Mateo slaved away, sorting out the last of the empanadas before the clock struck five, and he could be released. He wiped the sweat off his head, pulled the net off and threw it in the trashcan, and left the apron strewn across a bench.

The bell rang at the counter. Mateo was greeted by a smirking Ricky, who was dressed in a checkered button-down shirt, khaki shorts, fresh, knee-high socks, and the new sneakers he bought from the Christmas Bonus that Tito have gave him for helping out at the scrap yard.

He was wearing a chain and had trimmed his facial hair into something presentable.

Mateo smiled at him. "You ready for studying?"

Ricky pointed to the table at the back where he had laid out his books on the table, and set his backpack on the floor. "I'm way ahead of you there."

"Yes, you are. So, are we doing more Art, Science, or something else today?"

"Well, we had our Science exam and we're still working on the project," Ricky said. "I think we should draw some more, and then study. I brought five books from the library in a bag."

Mateo smiled. "Someone's keen."

Ricky nodded. "I spent all afternoon in Tito's yard, and I need a study break, never thought I'd be saying that, of all people."

"Did he work you hard?"

"Of course, but the pay's great. I'm getting fifteen an hour working the machines."

Mateo looked surprised. "That's good money."

"I know right?"

Mateo started to walk to the table. When he sat down, he looked into Ricky's eyes. "Look, I'm sorry about yesterday at the game. It must have been something I ate–"

"--Or something you felt. Or both."

"Why do you say 'what I felt'?"

"You feel a lot, so it's obvious and logical to assume you feel for someone or something."

Mateo sighed. "Yeah. It's a mess inside of me."

"That's normal. Hormones. Feelings. You know?"

"Yes..." Mateo opened the book about modern architecture in Latin America. "I'm moving on from Tito romantically though... well I'm gonna try to. I saw his girlfriend, and they looked happy. But I still like him as a friend."

"Yeah. You'll forget about it when you go to the party. I heard Chuck's going all out at his place. His Mom's away for the weekend, and his sisters are bringing drinks. It's gonna be fun."

Mateo was looking through the pages. He opened up at Gaudi. "Yes, it will be fun and beautiful, like the Sagrada Familia. Look at this thing."

Ricky scanned his eyes over it. "Yeah, definitely. You're deflecting, though."

"I'm studying." Mateo smiled.

"Sure," Ricky said and took the book. "Let's draw then."

"Okay."

They did more sketches for the next hour and drew some more concepts. Ricky learned how to draw straight lines, wrote some notes about each image, and Mateo colored them. They were starting to come together.

Sr. walked past the table and had a look at the drawings. "These look good."

"Thanks," Mateo said as the clock struck six. "We're gonna get ready soon."

They tidied up, and Mateo went into the bathroom to get dressed. He pulled out a bright pink shirt, ripped jeans, and sneakers. He fixed up his hair, cleaned his face, and tidied himself up.

He walked out ten minutes later, and Ricky laughed at him.

"What the hell are you wearing?"

Mateo turned around and twirled. "Something that I want to wear."

Ricky raised an eyebrow. "You're gonna get picked on."

Mateo stepped closer to him and held his head up high. His heart was beating faster as he stood opposite Ricky and looked up to face him. "I don't care anymore, Ricky."

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

449K 13.3K 40
Teenage life can be quite difficult, especially when you are an outed gay guy who struggles with bullies, being alone, finding friends and crushing o...
1.4K 41 3
Alex and Cal have been best friends since what feels like forever. They've been through it all together; first day of school, first kisses, and Alex...
47.7K 1.6K 34
In an all boys boarding school surrounded by football players 18 year olds Alex, Sam, Jason and Parker have two years left in school. Two years, to f...
4.6M 3K 5
Normal? What was normal even Adrian? High school is the time to take it easy before life really hits. Or that's the theory... If he were human. Not o...