DARK HEARTS - BILLIONAIRE MAR...

By Msmarv28

When Evelyn Graham is asked to perform a complicated surgery on a new patient, she never imagined HIM. He's... More

ALEXANDER KING
FIVE YEARS LATER
DINNER GUESTS
THE CONTRACT
BLACKMAIL AND BARGAINS
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
BILLION DOLLAR HEADACHE
SCORPION IN A PRADA SUIT
FRAZZLED NERVES
BROKEN
EMPTY NEST
DARK HEARTS COLLIDE
ADMISSIONS
DATE NIGHT
BURNED
THE PLAN
NOTHING BUT LOVE
ALL I HAD LEFT
CUSTODY
PRISONER
TRUST ME
EVERY MAN'S FANTASY
FOUR O' CLOCK
WHAT'S BEST
THE RIGHT REASONS
SCHEMES
LOSSES
LEVERAGE
TESTED
GLIMPSE OF HELL
FOUR-FIFTY-TWO
A DOG'S DINNER
THE POWER COUPLE
SURREY
FANCY A GOOD FUCK
BROKEN
FLOODGATES
MOMMY DEAREST
EXPLOITING WEAKNESSES
BLOOD AND BETRAYAL
HEART OF THE MATTER

SINCERITY

37 2 0
By Msmarv28

Waking up a hangover after a drinking binge is the worst. And it's the last time I'll allow Karen to talk me into getting wasted. There has to be a better way to get over a guy than this.

If getting over Alexander is even possible.

I'm at his mercy for the next few years.

Bolting to the toilet, I violently release the contents of my stomach. Only, the nausea never subsides. Worried I may be suffering the effects of alcohol poisoning, I call Professor Rollins who suggests I drink plenty of water. But after two days of drinking water that resurges with a vengeance, Karen convinces me to make a doctors appointment. Agreeing to pick me up and drive me there herself.

There's no way I can drive in the condition I'm in.

Several hours later, and after several tests, Dr. Shultz walks in with a smile, a bottle of vitamins, and a life-altering piece of paper that shows I'm eight weeks pregnant.

No.

I'm stunned, to say the least. Wondering how this could be.

Like I've never been pregnant, and don't know how a baby is made.

Except, we've always been extremely careful.

Only, this wouldn't be just anyone's baby. This baby would be a King. And Alexander's not talking to me. In fact, he's completely ignoring me even though we're technically still married.

"What are you going to do?" Karen asks. Noticing the stunned look on my face.

"I don't know." I sulk. "I'm not his favorite person right now."

"Okay, but you're carrying his child, Ev. That's got to count for something."

"Really?" I quirk my brow at her. "Because it didn't for Jackson. And unlike him, Alexander has both the means and the resources to take this child from me."

A thought that terrifies me.

I want to tell him about the baby, but I'm also afraid to. Because now that I'm pregnant, save giving birth, there would be no reason for Alexander to stay in my life once this baby is born. And once a lion like Alexander King comes into your life–and your bed–it will never be the same again.

The average men society is teaming with just won't cut it anymore.

It's like having someone open the gates of heaven to show you the pure bliss that's behind it, only to close those gates in my face. Denying me access to it.

Add in my newly out of whack hormones, and you get a very emotional hot mess. Otherwise known as a very pregnant and stressed Evelyn Graham.

I miss him.

I wish I didn't, but I do. And I hate this.

While I'm wallowing in self-pity, my phone dings and I'm surprised to see a text from Benji. A glimmer of hope blossoming when Alexander himself calls me to invite me to his office so we can talk soon after.

But what I expected to walk into, and what I actually walk into, are two completely different things.

And the way Alexander stares at me once he finally sets his eyes on me... a look I can't decipher... makes me wish I had answers for him that I don't have. But Karen convinced me this would be the perfect opportunity to tell him about the baby.

"Have a seat." Alexander motions to the seat across from him.

Nodding, I take a seat as requested, and he slides a folder across the table to me. Confused, I open it up while he summons one of his secretaries into the office to bring us some food and beverages. Thumbing through the pages while my heart deflates once more.

Meeting his gaze, I don't want him to see how disappointed I am, but I can no longer hide my feelings.

"This is why you summoned me here?" I ask. Staring incredulously at him.

"It's a very generous offer, Evelyn." He replies. Scoffing, I shake my head. "Why else did you think I was bringing you here?"

I can't answer him.

How could he toss me away so easily without even allowing me to explain?

He only asked me here to make this shitty offer for G Technologies. And seeing the disappointment on my face, Alexander flops back in his chair. Studying me with those damn eyes of his.

"G Technologies is not for sale. And definitely not for the shitty lowball price you're offering." I tell him. Tossing his offer back at him. Then I switch gears a bit wanting to clear the air between us. "Look, I know you're angry with me because you think I sold your father out, but I would never do that to you. And-"

"Do you accept my offer or not?" He asks. Cutting me off.

And I haven't even told him the best part.

"Alex, I-"

"Look," he interrupts me. Holding his hands up as if he's hoping to ward off hearing my voice. "Whatever it is... unless you're here to confess to what you did or point me in the direction of the person who did... I'm not interested. So, if you're not interested in selling me your company, I'm afraid this meeting is over."

Everything I want is less than three feet away, and yet... he couldn't be further from me if he were on another planet.

"Was it all just an arrangement for you?" I search his eyes. Hoping to find some part of him that gives a damn about me.

"Wasn't that the point?"

"Yes, but-"

"We're damn near bankrupt, Evelyn. And if I can't turn this steaming pile of shit around, even if we could have a future, it would just go up in smoke."

"If that happens, I have enough money saved to help you get back on your feet."

"And what kind of man would that make me?" He asks. "I'm the face of a multibillion-dollar company. It would make me look weak to have to ask my wife for money. Not to mention incompetent. You may as well paint a target on my back."

"Well at least it's something."

"Perhaps. But it's not nearly enough."

Alexander and I fall silent.

Holding each other's gaze even though neither of us knows what to say.

At least he's not yelling at me or kicking me out.

I've got to fix this.

"I have a meeting soon. So, you should go." He tells me.

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Grabbing my purse, I cast him one last passing glance before I leave his office. And as I enter the elevator, I rest my hand on my stomach. Wishing he could just forgive me, even though I've done nothing wrong.

Climbing into my car, I go to the one person I trust the most to help me figure all of this out.

The only father figure I have in my life right now.

Professor Rollins.

It takes him a while to get to the door on account of his bum leg, and when he sees me standing there, he smiles. Well... until he notices the look on my face.

"Is everything alright?" He quickly welcomes me inside. The look on his face telling me he's afraid of my answer.

"Define alright." I flash him a halfhearted smile.

"Abraham told me about his treatment being leaked to the media. And that you were found to be the source of that leak." He gets straight to the point.

"I didn't do it if that's what you're asking. Except, someone has gone through a great deal of trouble to make it look like I did. Hell, even I believe I'm guilty at this point."

Lighting a fire in the fireplace, Professor Rollins pets the space next to him on the sofa and I sit down beside him. He covers me with a blanket, and I lay my head on his shoulder.

"Abraham also told me you told Alexander to shove it when he offered to buy G Technologies from you."

"Yeah, well his offer was ridiculous. G Technologies is worth ten times what he's offering."

Chuckling, he squeezes me in his arms. "I've always loved your mind for business."

"I just wish I was as successful in my love life as I am in a board room." I laugh too.

"I'm sorry you and Alexander haven't been able to work things out." He pats me on the hand. Offering me a kind smile.

Sucking in a deep breath, I exhale slowly and meet his gaze. "Me too. I... I'm pregnant."

Professor Rollins' eyes practically disappear into his hairline. And he shoots me an inquisitive look. "Alexander's?"

Who's else would it be?

"Yes. I tried to tell him, but I... I couldn't. He's focused on saving his company and I don't want to add yet another distraction to his plate."

"How far along are you?"

"Ten weeks."

Climbing to his feet, he paces the floor before me. Deep in thought.

"You have to tell him, Evie."

"I tried."

"Try harder."

"It doesn't really matter anymore because I'm not keeping it. I've already decided." I tell him.

For a second he looks alarmed, but then the warm smile I've come to know and love, returns.

"Well, the good news is you don't have to make any decisions tonight. Get some rest and I'll make us some dinner. Tomorrow will be a new day." He hugs me.

"Thank you." I flash him another smile. Snuggling into his blanket as exhaustion takes hold of me and the warmth of the fire lulls me to sleep.     

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.7K 1.6K 39
Daniella Robert gets the surprise of her life finding out that she was married to a guy she really didn't know anything about after having a night of...
480K 6.8K 51
The night after her parents death, she's forced and threatened by the Queen at the age of ten to get engaged to the princess whose father is the murd...
51.8K 2.3K 102
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED] What happens when you fall in love with your enemy? Well you do know what happens, your family abandons you and all...
10.9K 167 74
"You don't want me..." I breathed, selfishly leaning into his touch. But I quickly pull away. "I'm different and so not your type," I muttered, looki...