Surviving As A Cannon Fodder

By akane_youkai

Being a normal college student, Eunseo was reincarnated into a book she barely remembers as a no-name canon f... More

CHAPTER 0
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
Part 2 Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Part 3 Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Chapter 168
Chapter 169

Chapter 159

1.9K 102 8
By akane_youkai

At times a simple truth can speak a thousand words than a carefully crafted lie.

"What? Never seen hair dye before?" Angelica went off on her way after leaving the entire camp astonished.

Unlike the stunned mercenaries, there were unspoken words of affirmation among the Frost Knights disguised with the merchants.

The corpses of the dead ogres on the other hand were all over the camp surrounded by the destruction they had caused.

I kneeled down and examined one of the fallen ogres. Its rough skin was covered in scars and scratches from previous battles. The wounds it held from arrows and spears made it clear that this was not the ogre's first encounter with travelers. Based on the semi-healed injuries, it must have been some time within the past couple of days.

Ogres live in large packs. If there is one, there will be three more on the way. Like most predators, they are also territorial and stay within their territories unless there is a shortage of resources. Based on the distinct differences in the fur and weapons the ogres held, these must have not been from the same pack. It was very uncommon for ogres of different packs to band together and attack the same prey.

Also, the campsite was chosen in this particular region because it was nowhere near the territory of ogres. So why did we just get attacked by a pack of ogres that were supposed to be on the other side of the forest?

'Fairies' 

I realized the reason almost immediately. And from the look on her face, Angelica who had her wide eyes fixed on the ogre corpses in front of her, seemed to have reached the same conclusion.

The ogres must have found the campsite, most likely attracted to the scent of fairies. However, Angelica was not the only one in the fairy forest. The two of us were in the fairy forest for a prolonged period of time which meant that we were also the source of the scent the ogres were tracking.

"I can drive them away!" Angelica's declaration was muffled by the noise of the approaching enemies.

"They're gonna keep coming"

Just as two more ogres emerged from the forest, Angelica sprinted into the forest unnoticed in the midst of the commotion caused by the monsters. By instinct, I went after Angelica while the rest engaged in a battle.

Even without her explaining it, I knew Angelica's plan was to lure the approaching ogres from the camp by moving farther away using her scent.

As predicted, Angelica ran through the woods at a rapid pace attracting the attention of the ogres headed toward the camp back into the forest.

I followed her trail in close pursuit only to notice multiple sets of tracks, each one bigger than the ogres that attacked the camp. In an estimate, there must have been at least ten to twelve ogres headed in this direction.

Although I know Angelica could hold off a few, the enemy had the advantage in number. And with Eldom being a hub for wild predators, there might be other animals lying in wait for an opportunity.

Suddenly, I felt the need to slaughter every single one of the ogres that dared to hurt Angelica. 

'If anything were to happen to her I will burn this place to the ground...' My thoughts were cut short by the sudden change in the air.

The rumbling quake of the ground had ended leaving behind an ominous silence.

I reached for my sword, as the clouds extinguished the last of the moonlight. I could sense the movement behind me among the minute rustle of leaves from the wind.

Before it could attack, I turned and thrust my sword toward my foe's head and it pulled in a single stroke.

*THUD*

As the lifeless body of the ogre fell to the ground, eight more ogres of enormous stature revealed themselves each with a weapon of their own.

Brandishing axes and clubs made of crude metal, these alpha ogres were not like any other ordinary ogres. Acting as the leader of their packs, these ogres were more advanced on a physical and intellectual level.

If this were any other day, I would have taken my time playing with them since it had been a while since I had been in a situation as such. But now, I need to finish them off as quickly as possible to get to Angelica.

*THUD* *THUD* *THUD*

"RO-!!" The ogre's cry was cut short by the blade of my sword piercing its neck. The quickest way to dispose of ogres was to aim for the neck where its hard skin is comparatively smoother.

'Four down and four more to go' I counted, flicking away the blood dripping from my sword. Each one I cut down is one less ogre attacking Angelica.

Right then one of the ogres charged toward me club in hand. I rested my sword, picked up the axe of its fallen comrade, and swung it across the ogre severing its hand in pieces. 

Surprisingly the ogre's axe was sturdier than I had expected. This was the weapon it intended to use to hunt down Angelica. The very thought of it made me mad. 

"!"

The ogre shrieked and backed away as yet another one pounced in its stead. Not wanting to prolong the fight, I leapt and swung the axe toward its head. Then used its still-standing body as a boost to get to the two standing behind it.

*THUD* *THUD* *THUD*

The ogre with the severed hand backed away looking back and forth between the corpses and the forest. As if it knew the fate awaiting it, the ogre turned and tried to run into the forest.

*THUD*

When the clouds cleared, the last ogre fell to the ground dead with its own axe planted on its head.

With the moonlight returned, I spotted something strange on its back. There were brandings on the ogre's back that were identical in incantations to the summoning circles that drew the goblins toward us on the way to Carrelem. There were also signs of restraints on its hands from cuffs made of metal. It wasn't just one but all of the ogres had similar markings.

The fairy dust may have attracted the ogres. But someone deliberately captured and brought the ogres to the campground to ensure we were attacked either way.

"ROAR!!" The fierce cry of the ogre rang through the woods.

'Angelica!' I raced toward the source of the sound.

Along the way, I found traces of a battle in the form of multiple ogre corpses. Among them were also pieces of a broken sword that belonged to Angelica. But still, Angelica herself was nowhere in sight.

Instead, I found tracks of a pair of alpha ogres heading north deeper into the forest. I followed it to find a familiar dagger on the ground that had an Eagle emblem etched into it. It was the crest of the Ashford family. For Angelica to leave behind the dagger she had safeguarded for years on the run, she must have been in a dire situation. 

The traces of blood found near the dagger were not human. Ahead the tightly grown trees were thrashed to the sides creating a new pathway as if something large had torn through them.

Anger and uneasiness crept onto my skin. Although she had wounded the ogres on her trail, Angelica was still in danger. I took the dagger and dashed in the path to find myself in a cave covered in algae.

I could hear the sound of the ogres through the cave walls. As I went deeper, the algae-covered cave changed into a finely crafted tunnel with rune-covered mana stones lighting the way. The tunnel broke into different ways as if it was built to trap unwanted intruders.

Using the loud ogres as my mark, I shifted through the tunnels at a rapid pace. I was getting closer yet still not close enough.

'There!'

At last, after endless pursuit, I could see two alpha ogres entering a large door at the end of the tunnel. As I drew my sword I could hear Angelica's voice in the distance followed by a scream.

"I am not going to die at twenty-one again!"

"ROAR!"

When I reached the chamber at the end of the tunnel, Angelica sword in hand was standing proudly watching the ogre in front of her disintegrate to dust.

However, before I could step in, I was blinded by a bright light.

The bright light receded leaving the merchant headquarters prey to the flames.

Seconds later, a ball of fire launched into the sky which then morphed into the shape of a snake, the insignia of the Serpents who were responsible for the curse that brought Angelica into my life.

The signal beam originated from the city square which was located at the heart of the city.

Finally, after weeks of travel and unexpected turns, we reached our destination Parthellam. And so was the time to give Angelica the grand welcome she deserved.

As soon as we reached the city I separated from the entourage and tossed the handcuffs that contained the glamour magic. The need to discard the mask was long overdue.

The next time Angelica and I see each other will be in the form of our true selves not in masks meant for others. 

Since our arrival was planned the city guards paved the way for the rest to securely reach the merchant headquarters.

With the willful cooperation of the local Lord, the city square had been newly refurbished and decorated with guards covering every entry and exit point of the city.

Waves of people were pouring into the busy streets as if to witness the spectacle that was about to take place.

By the time the moons rise to the highest point, an army of Frost Knights would march down the city of Parthellam, to formally escort the long-lost Duchess to her rightful place.

However, with Angelica, things never go as planned.

As the Frost Knights marched through the city we were stopped by the explosions at merchant headquarters which was set ablaze by masked individuals. The building had caved with smoke covering the vicinity.

With the assistance of the Frost Knights, the fire was brought under control and the injured were quickly evacuated to a safe location. 

It was not just them but as we moved forward all the people within the area surrounding the square were evacuated due to the unexpected attack of the Serpents, who had flooded to the place.

When the Knights cleared the road leading to the city square which was blocked by rubble, I was able to get a clear view of the scene.

"What a mess..."

Littered across the floor were defeated members of the rogue mage syndicate Serpents along with their incapacitated leader. The square itself was destroyed in the battle that took place minutes ago. The Theodore statue at the center was decapitated leaving behind a headless sculpture.

"Your Grace. Shall we proceed?"

"Yes"

And there at the center of all the chaos was my dear wife Angelica.

"Looks like we're right on time"

From summoning goblins, and ogres to attacking the merchant headquarters, the Serpents had been the instigators of attacks around us. In fact, shortly after the incident in Mount Zion the Serpents had become dormant before they resurfaced in the past few weeks.

Seamus Esdels may be a power-hungry noble, but even he knew where to draw the line in the political playground. There was someone else behind him orchestrating the entire play while staying out of the spotlight.

For unknown reasons, they were targeting Angelica.

Whoever it was commanding the Serpents. I intend to see the end of it.

"Surround the city square and continue to evacuate the people in the area. Do not let any of the criminals escape and capture the leader. He will not die before he answers for his crimes"

When I got down from my steed, I was greeted by the decapitated head of the Theodore statue that rolled down the marble floor and stopped before me.

Then I noticed something beside the head. It was Angelica's gold necklace that had completely darkened losing its shine.

Just from looking at the state of the necklace, I could feel a bad premonition.

At a short distance, Angelica was hunched to the ground. Her complexion was pale and tired. She was clutching her chest taking short breaths.

"Everybody stand ground. I'll get her myself" I addressed the Knights surrounding the square as Angelica slowly got to her feet. There was an ominous shift in the atmosphere that prickled my skin.

But right when I was about to go towards her, a tremendous gust of wind swept through the square pushing out everything in its way.

I raised my hand and caught the sword that was thrust my way using it to hold my ground by jabbing it to the floor. It was Angelica's sword Loki that was swept away by the force.

When the wind settled, the sky began to rumble as if to show its wrath on the world below. The dark square was momentarily lightened by the bolt of lightning that pulverized the remains of the Theodore statue.

At that moment, I could hear the words of Master Gilbert back from the night Havu's curse was broken.

"Her mana flow is unstable. For now, there's a charm around her that'll protect her. The last time she was here it was still intact. But it won't last forever"

Slowly Angelica levitated into the air in a catatonic state unaware of her surroundings. Her hollow eyes were overtaken by the unstable mana in her body trying to stabilize itself after being suppressed for two decades.

The mana storm that formed as a result spiraled into a wall of flame with Angelica at the eye of it. Lighting struck continuously around the vortex as if it were guarding its occupant.

In any other circumstances, a mana outbreak of such an altitude could be catastrophic. But, this time it was a not. 

While the sudden mana outbreak may be an unfortunate event it was not an unanticipated one.

On the same night that I first learned of the potential danger Angelica was in. I was given a parting gift before I began my search for her by Master Gilbert. 

Located in a forest in Velven's far west, it was a scroll describing the mechanics of an ancient relic with a map to an ancient temple that was lost to the current world. The relic was built by the Great Sage Arthmus Stein to diffuse a powerful mana outbreak, much like the one Angelica was having.

Weeks after the search for Angelica went cold, I had the relic safely excavated with the assistance of the Velven royal family. It was then held in storage until the need for it arose.

When I found Angelica, the ancient relic was swapped with the original relic that was meant to be given for the peace treaty before the royal wedding as a countermeasure in the unlikeliest of events.

Right on cue, the ancient relic swarmed around the mana vortex and absorbed the excess energy released from the storm.

'Why is it I'm always late when it comes to her?' I despised myself for my incompetence. Had I reached her earlier, we would not be in this situation and Angelica would have not been subjected to a mana outbreak.

Using Angelica's sword, I cut through the spiral of flames as a series of thoughts flooded my mind.

Back in Eldom when Angelica disclosed her day of birth I was confused. I even wondered if she was getting the days mixed.

Surely, from the look on her face Angelica she was not lying. I know when she lies and when she is being truthful.

Maybe she simply did not know?

Had I not heard Angelica and Eugene talking that day, I would have never put two and two together. But now I can understand the bigger picture.

If Angelica was born on the full moons day. It was not the Third of October.

With the three moons at their highest for the first time in five centuries, Angelica was born on the fourth of October. A truth that was concealed at that very moment from everyone including Angelica. Considering how he predicted the mana outbreak, I sense Master Gilbert was also a part of it.

It explained the unprecedented amount of mana in her that was running wild. If it were known to the world, Angelica would not have lived the life she did. Rather she would have been secularly raised in the mage tower under Imperial control.

After absorbing the last of the mana, the relic particles rained down around us extinguishing the wall of flames in the process.

Like a goddess who had lost her wings, Angelica fell from the sky. I dropped the sword in my hand and reached my arms wide.

*flick*

I caught her in my arms and held her close to my chest. The temperature of her body was alarmingly cold.

"You always have me chasing after you...  Wife" I confessed to Angelica grazing my thumb across her cheek.

As if she knew she was no longer in danger, Angelica's emerald eyes fluttered open.

"E-Ed... Ed... Edward?" Angelica called out just as her consciousness faded away.

Although I had played this moment thousands of times in my mind, it was not in a dire circumstance as such.

Her body, overexerted by the sudden outbreak of mana was completely drained of energy as she lay with her eyes closed in my arms.

"Ann! Ann!" yelled Eugene with the rest of the Nero mercenaries in tow. However, before they could come closer they were stopped by the Frost Knights.

"Where... Where are you taking her?" He asked with concern on his anxious face.

"Somewhere safe" I answered before turning my back to them, unconscious Angelica in my arms.

With no time to spare, I immediately teleported us to the Frost Estate in the capital from the nearest jump point. The Temple of Eir was summoned over the night and everything else felt was a blur.

Not a single person got a wink of sleep with the entire Estate in an uproar upon Angelica's arrival.

Seconds felt like hours as I spent the longest night of my life waiting outside of the doors to my bed chambers. Inside Angelica was being treated by the priests after the life-threatening mana outbreak she had a few hours back.

When the doors finally opened after what felt like an eternity, I saw Angelica lying on the bed with her eyes closed.

'Fate has a crude sense of humor' I thought to myself as I kneeled beside Angelica.

"There is no need to panic" said High Priest Thesser as the rest of the priests exited the room.

"She is merely tired. Once the mana in her body restores itself, she will be up in no time" He reassured before adding with a chuckle,

"She is going to be alright. At least, better than needing a hangover cure in the middle of the night"

Days passed by in a flash. Even after three weeks had gone by since the mana outbreak, Angelica continued her slumber in peace with no signs of waking up.

Every day the priest from Eir blessed her with holy magic to stabilize her mana core. I spent most of my time beside her leaving only when I was needed.

Having just returned from the palace, I pulled a chair beside the bed and took a seat by Angelica's side. Her complexion was better compared to the previous day. The color was gradually returning to her pale lips.

In the silent walls inside my bed chamber, the only sound that was heard was Angelica's heartbeat which was beating at a steady pace.

With our roles reversed from three years ago, it was now my turn to wait for her. After everything that we have been through we were right back to where it all began.

I took her hand in mine and closed my eyes, waiting for the moment she opens her eyes. So... 

"Don't make me wait too long"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

163K 6.5K 18
I suddenly became the villainess, but it is already the end scene? - She doesn't even realize where she is or who she is. She undergoes the torture...
81 0 7
Not Another Reincarnation Story! (But it is...) Amy Young led a miserable life. When she wakes up in another person's body she's shocked to see that...
9K 500 13
"You finally decided to be honest to yourself." "Yes. I realized how stupid I've been." He gazed at the goddess with determined eyes. "I would like...
87K 3.4K 29
Betrayed by subordinates, friends, family and lover, after 10-years of struggles. 🏴‍☠️ She, who has nothing to loose and care about anymore, die...