Rising Rays of the New Centur...

By KageNishi

In the year 2040, Japan returned to Earth from the other world of Terralus under the guidance of a comet. At... More

Part 1: Tokyo Expo
Tokyo Expo in Chaos
Joint Investigation
Japanese Empire's Chaos
A New Case
The Truth Revealed
The Canine Lord
The End of 21st Century
Vampire Siblings
Fear of Vampire
The Vampiric Menace
Eternal Mermaid
A Shadow Looming Over the Mermaid
Sora: The Far Reaches of Universe
World Expo Closing Ceremony
Part 2: Overseas
The Warlord City, Changsha
Inspection of the Construction Site
Europe of Illusions
The Dark Side of the Japanese Embassy
The Sisters of Tragedy
On Christmas Eve
The Satori and the Catalan Girl
Men Running on the Sea and in the Sky
Japanese Magical Drugs
The Devil's Identity
Epic Aerial Battle: Fairy vs US-2
Part 3: Yokohama Dragon God
Ice Queen
Rumored Japanese History Teacher
Shining Night Kamaitachi
Enchanting Songstress
High School of Magic and Witchcraft
Yokohama Bay Entertainment City
The Girl with Midas' Hand
Golden Power and the Fateful Encounter
The End of the Golden Banquet and a New Threat
A World Where Humanity is the Minority
Cultural Festival Season is Here!
Schoolgirl Abduction
Crisis of the Space Battleship Fusō
The Golden Banquet and the Awakening of Fusō
Terror of the Vampires
Battle of Yokohama
The Blue Dragon's Beautiful Servant
The Comet and the Unwanted Visitor
Part 3.5: The Space Frontier
Settings and Glossary
Characters List
Part 4: The Space Wars
Alien Invasion
Messenger from Earth
Space Drifters Union and the International Federation
The Queen's Descent onto Mars
New Developments
The Expulsion Movement and the Witch of Mars
The Queen's Desire
The Great Escape
Disturbing Trend
The Queen's Descent to Earth
Ideals and Reality
Coup
Crisis of the Solar System
Attack on Titan
Queen's Guard
The Demise of Mars

Occupation of Mars

72 5 0
By KageNishi

March 18, 2199

Earth

International Federation Headquarters, Washington, D.C., United States of America

The news of the attack on Mars had been delivered promptly to the International Federation's headquarters on Earth through the Martian Administrative Agency and the Space Development Organization. Delegations from various countries were summoned, and an urgent closed-door Security Council meeting was held. Chairing the meeting was Chen Haowei, the representative of the Republic of China (Taiwan), one of the non-permanent members.

"...So, this is the response from that so-called Space Drifters Union," Chen somberly muttered. The other participants wore similarly dark expressions. They had been aware of the new threat that had arrived from space four years ago.

The International Federation, which emerged as a new international organization in the mid-21st century to replace the United Nations, had a de facto highest decision-making body called the Security Council, just like its predecessor. It consisted of five permanent member states – the United States, Canada, Russia, Brazil, and India – and ten "non-permanent member states" – Japan, Italy, England-Wales, Australia, Argentina, Egypt, Taiwan (Republic of China), Finland, Switzerland, and Thailand – for a total of fifteen countries. Unlike the previous UN, non-permanent members could be reelected consecutively, and most of the non-permanent members, including Japan, remained the same.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the delegations, please refer to the documents in front of you," the IF official acting as the moderator said, taking the podium. The representatives of the fifteen countries gathered around the round table were presented with a virtual display.

"The Space Drifters Union... suddenly appeared in the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt four years ago, and sent envoys to Titan, which had just begun colonization."

The events began four years ago when a group calling themselves the Space Drifters Union suddenly appeared and dispatched an envoy to Titan, the moon of Saturn that had only recently been colonized. Upon receiving reports of an alien invasion, the SDA and the IF decided to engage in negotiations with them while keeping the matter confidential.

"Their purpose for appearing in the solar system is migration to Earth. Specifically, they have demanded that we place Earth under the joint administration with the Union as a special nature reserve of the galaxy, establish a treaty of alliance and friendship with the Earth, and accept the immigration of Union residents."

The Space Drifters Union is a coalition of extraterrestrial beings who have lost their home planet. They have been drifting through the Milky Way galaxy for a staggering 1.300 years and have finally arrived at Earth, a planet they see as an ideal world abundant with greenery and water. They have exerted pressure on Earth, unwilling to miss this opportunity after 1.300 years.

"...However, according to their claims, the total population of the Space Drifters Union is 13 billion, far exceeding the current population of Earth. It was impossible for us to accommodate their immigration. Therefore, we have presented the following compromise proposal."

The presentation displayed on the virtual display screen switched, showing the compromise proposal that the IF had presented to the Space Drifters Union. The proposal was as follows:

- Residency on Earth for the entire population is not acceptable.

- Co-administration of Earth is not tolerable.

- Special residential areas on Earth will be provided only for a privileged class.

- Other majority residents will be offered extraterrestrial celestial bodies within the solar system.

- If they establish a settlement in the solar system, they must join the IF as a nation.

"Needless to say, this Earth is our planet, and joint administration is out of the question. We have asserted our rightful rights and made the greatest concession."

The IF and the Space Drifters Union had been engaged in confidential negotiations for four years. However, negotiating with the Union, who seemed to understand yet not understand the current situation on Earth, proved to be extremely challenging.

"Based on the information we have gathered about the Space Drifters Union over these four years, although it is an estimate... First, they are composed of more than ten different alien species, among which a species called 'Kyrie' appears to hold a dominant position. Furthermore..."

The moderator continued the explanation. The Space Drifters Union refers to an interstellar alliance centered around the ancient planet Kyrie that perished long ago, as well as their mother ship. It encompasses several species that have similarly lost their planets, with a population of 13 billion residing on a massive spaceship. They have installed a mysterious entity known as the 'Queen' as their monarch, and they act according to her will.

"...That concludes all the information we have about the Space Drifters Union."

The moderator shifted the agenda to the next topic, and accompanying his narration, a slide summarizing the current situation was displayed.

"At 03:00 Washington D.C. time on March 18th, multiple unidentified flying objects attacked the capital city of Mars, Suiryu. The International Federation Space Force stationed on Mars was instantly annihilated, and the 1,4 billion humans residing on that planet are already under their control."

Mars has been occupied by this mysterious entity. The urgent news has already spread throughout the solar system, causing fear and chaos not only within the IF but among all of humanity.

"Both the International Federation Space Force and the Imperial Japanese Space Force... their primary missions were to maintain security in space cities, ensure the safety of space navigation by removing asteroids and space debris, and rescue space accident victims. The space forces were not organized with the intention of conducting space warfare."

The military branch known as the "Space Force" emerged in the early 21st century as early warning systems for ballistic missiles and satellite control. However, in the mid-21st century, when Japan returned from another world with a space battleship and space fighters, the nature of the Space Force began to change. Particularly after Japan announced the independent development of the world's first atmospheric-space dual-use fighter, the United States, the EU, Russia, and India followed suit by announcing plans to establish 'space combat units' in response. Currently, only Japan, the United States, and the EU possess weapons such as 'space combat ships' and 'space fighters' with genuine combat capabilities in outer space. However, the reason these forces are organized is primarily due to inter-state conflicts within the Earth's sphere.

Therefore, the main forces of Japan, the United States, and the EU's space forces are concentrated within the Earth's sphere. The activities of the scattered IF Space Force throughout the solar system are aimed at "security" and "maintaining public order," not assuming the conduct of space warfare.

"It is no longer possible to conceal the truth. As the International Federation, we have no choice but to disclose the facts and send an IF delegation to Mars...!"

The enemy possesses overwhelming technology that enables interstellar travel. The only remaining path for the IF was further negotiation.

"We managed to keep it hidden for these past four years, but..."

"The fact of the attack on Mars is already circulating in the media. There's no other option..."

"We must expect public criticism."

"The situation is what it is. There is no time to hesitate."

Representatives from each country exchanged glances. The decision had already been made. One hour after the closed-door meeting ended, a major announcement would be issued by the IF Security Council to the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo, Japanese Empire

At almost the same time, it was around 07:00 in Japan. Many people were bustling around, heading to work or school in the morning. The street displays in the city were broadcasting a wide show reporting the 'Aliens' Invasion of Mars.' It was the talk of the town. Among them, Tenmei Niwatsukino, a young bureaucrat working at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, was also captivated by the wide show on the office TV along with his colleagues.

"Yesterday, Mars was attacked by a mysterious fleet of spacecraft, and it is believed that all cities, including the capital, Suiryu, have fallen. The situation remains precarious. While it is estimated that there have been thousands of casualties in Suiryu alone, no detailed information has been released by the International Federation. Videos posted online from Suiryu show the destruction caused by the giant androids, believed to be part of the attacking group, as they crush numerous houses..."

The wide show caster was reporting the grim situation on Mars. Niwatsukino and his colleagues were watching the news with bated breath.

"Alien invasion...? Is that what they're calling it?"

"...Bullshit."

Niwatsukino couldn't believe the scenes of space warfare unfolding before his eyes. He stood frozen, holding a coffee cup, staring at the screen. In the midst of it, an alert pierced through his eardrums, emanating from the screen. The studio changed, and an emergency news bulletin interrupted.

"We interrupt the program for breaking news! Just now, the International Federation Space Development Organization held an emergency press conference! We will change our scheduled broadcast to bring you live footage from Tsukuba City!"

The screen switched again, showing the press conference venue of the IF Space Development Organization. A suave man in a suit was sitting at the center of the press podium. The caption read, "Representative of the International Federation Space Agency, Koyu Riyoshi." He was the man leading space development. Amidst the barrage of camera flashes from the other executives, Riyoshi bowed deeply to the gathered media and slowly began to speak with a grave expression.

"Thank you all for gathering here today. The current matter of the occupation of Mars that has been circulating... is indeed true. Mars is currently under the occupation of a certain entity. The International Federation Space Forces stationed on Mars have already been completely decimated—"

"What exactly is this 'certain entity'!?"

"Did the International Federation not anticipate this situation!?"

Reporters rapidly fired off their questions. Riyoshi carefully chose his words and spoke again.

"The force that has occupied Mars... um, there are actually extraterrestrial beings."

"!!?"

The press conference venue instantly became restless. Riyoshi accidentally dropped his coffee cup on the floor.

"The International Federation made contact with them four years ago. They identified themselves as the Space Drifters Union and suddenly appeared in the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt region. Their goal is to migrate to Earth... With overwhelmingly advanced technology, they demand the migration of 13 billion people. The International Federation had been persistently negotiating with them. However, despite repeated negotiations, they resorted to the use of force."

Riyoshi revealed the fact that the IF had been secretly in contact with extraterrestrial life.

"The International Federation has decided to send a delegation to Mars. We will present our stance of seeking a peaceful resolution and engage in negotiations in Suiryu," Riyoshi continued, disclosing the identity of the enemy and their objectives.

It was at this moment that humanity on Earth first became aware that they were being exposed to a threat originating from outer space.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

District 1, Suiryu, Mars

The occupied city of Suiryu was patrolled by the Space Drifters Union's massive androids, monitoring the actions of the citizens. People stayed holed up in their homes, enduring fear as they passed the time. And on the tower of the Martian Administrative Agency, the governing body of Mars, a different flag was raised in place of the IF's flag. In the executive office on the upper floors, there was a man dressed in unconventional ethnic attire. He looked down at the scenery of Suiryu from the window, where beyond the city stretched a red desert and forests.

"So, this is the fourth planet... To think there are two habitable planets with human presence..."

The man was a bureaucrat who came with the space fleet that attacked Mars. He couldn't hide his amazement at the Martian environment.

In the room, the Chief Administrator of Mars, Akihiro Murei, appeared. He was in a room that should have been his own office, but he entered as a visitor. He conveyed a telegram delivered by the International Federation.

"Jady Lemikeigia-dono... A representative from the International Federation will visit in a week's time," Murei conveyed the content nervously.

The Martian Administrative Agency was occupied by the attacking Space Drifters Union. Jady turned around and looked at Murei with a gentle gaze.

"...I see. Please reply that we hope for fruitful negotiations."

Through the automatic translation device worn by Jady, the Japanese spoken by Murei and the alien language spoken by Jady were instantly translated into their respective languages.

"...Yes, sir... Well then..."

Murei bowed and left the executive office. Jady, who saw him off, once again turned his gaze outside the window. A resistance movement against the alien invasion had emerged in Suiryu, marked by the rising black smoke in various places.

. . .

District 7, Suiryu

Meanwhile, Itsuki, who had lost consciousness due to the attack, woke up in an unfamiliar bedroom.

"Where is this...?"

In his blurred vision, she saw a pure white ceiling. Slowly moving her heavy head from side to side, she noticed luxurious furniture and furnishings lined up. The bed she was lying in was incredibly soft and comfortable, unlike the futon she usually slept on.

".........?"

It was like a suite in a luxury hotel. Itsuki was perplexed and desperately tried to recall her last memories. Slowly sitting up, she noticed traces of bandages all over her body, and her head was wrapped in a bandage. As Itsuki looked around the room, she heard a knock on the door. A male voice came from the other side.

"...Can I come in?"

"...!? Y-yes, please!"

Itsuki quickly covered herself with a blanket. Then, she prompted the person to enter, and an elderly gentleman accompanied by a maid entered the room.

"...My, my, it seems you've woken up. Do you remember anything? You were involved in an accident and fainted when a signal light collapsed."

".........!!"

As soon as Itsuki heard the words of the elderly gentleman, memories of right before she fainted came rushing back. The fleet of spaceships covering the sky, numerous massive androids landing on Suiryu, panicked crowds, and the horrifying scenes resurfaced in her mind.

"I couldn't contact your parents because you didn't have anything that identified you. I'm sorry for taking matters into my own hands, but I temporarily sheltered you at my place. The police haven't been able to establish any communication either."

The elderly gentleman, who had come across Itsuki when she was unconscious, couldn't leave her unattended and brought her to his house as a last resort. He had been waiting for Itsuki to wake up.

"...Thank you for saving me. My name is Itsuki Ookubo, and I serve as an assistant pastor at a church in District 4."

"I am Atsushi Nagamisawa... nice to meet you."

The two introduced themselves to each other. Afterward, they continued their conversation while drinking tea prepared by the maid. Itsuki, who had calmed down with the warmth of the tea, began to share her story with her benefactor.

"It's surprising to be an assistant pastor at your age... Is your parent a pastor?"

"I'm an orphan, and I don't know who my real father is. I only have a photo of my mother. I was taken in by a pastor when I was young... and I've been living with him ever since."

Itsuki was an orphan, and even her surname, "Okubo," was derived from the name of the street where she had spent her early childhood. She was picked up by Sumiichiro when she was on the verge of starvation, and in gratitude, Itsuki supported him as an assistant pastor and worked part-time to earn a living.

"........."

Nagamisawa listened to Itsuki's story with mixed emotions.

Atsushi Nagamisawa is the chairman of an IR group that operated businesses in various cities on Mars. District 7 where his mansion was located was a high-end residential area where the upper class of Martian society lived. Nagamisawa contemplated Itsuki's hardships and the disparity on Mars.

"By the way... about that photo of your mother?"

"It was inside a pendant that I've had since before I can remember. I don't have many memories of my mother myself..."

In her hazy childhood memories, Itsuki had a time when she lived with her mother. However, her mother passed away suddenly from an illness when Itsuki was four years old, and she became a homeless child. Until Sumiichiro took her in, Itsuki had been living as a street child.

"If it's not too much trouble, could you show me that photo?"

"Oh, sure."

Itsuki readily agreed to Nagamisawa's request. She picked up the silver pendant placed by her pillow and showed Nagamisawa the small photo enclosed within it.

"This is...!"

"?"

Itsuki tilted her head in confusion upon hearing Nagamisawa's astonished yell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Space Drifters Union, Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt

In the outskirts of the solar system, amidst the debris known as the Edgeworth-Kuiper Belt, the mothership of the Space Drifters Union lay hidden. Within the ship, colonies were formed where 12 different species and 13 billion people lived, with the Queen's Palace at its center. In the courtyard of the palace, the pinnacle of those 13 billion individuals found moments of respite. The courtyard was adorned with grass and vibrant flowers, but all of them were artificial. There were no real plants present on this ship.

"Your Majesty... I have a report from the 4th Fleet which had conquered Mazner. They received news that a new envoy will be sent from Earth to Mazner."

An attendant, serving the queen, knelt down and conveyed the report from Mars.

"I see... Hahaha... So, the time has come to finally conclude this thirteen centuries of history."

Her name was Riza-Griant Alzawall, the Queen of the Space Drifters Union. She was not only the leader of the Union, representing the Kyrie race, but also a being revered as a deity within the Union.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

International Federation Space Agency

The specialized agency of the newly established International Federation in the year 2123. Its headquarters is located in Tsukuba City, Chiba Prefecture, in the Japanese Empire. It was established as an organization to lead space development under the auspices of the International Federation when the Japanese government disclosed 28th-century technology, and it also oversees the administration of each space city. While it is a direct subordinate agency of the IF, the Japanese government holds personnel authority through a secret agreement. With the rapid expansion of space development projects, it possesses an unprecedented level of power and financial resources as a specialized agency.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 3.9K 174
An accident. She's pregnant. How unlucky. She got pregnant in one shot! What was even more unfortunate was that the end of the world had arrived, and...
2.5K 127 200
Author:Shen Tianyi, 神天衣 Alternative names:TLE, 领主之兵伐天下 Genre:Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Harem, Martial Arts, Wuxia Source:Gravity Tales Status:Ongoi...
564K 38.8K 47
THE YEAR IS 2050. Human-like androids have become integrated into society and every household, becoming part of our daily lives. They look exactly li...
63.1K 2K 42
Akemi was the most powerful immortal of another world. Why did I say "was"? Oh, because he's been reincarnated into the body of a powerless 16 year o...