Through Love Alone

By SophiaMontgomeryGrey

Almost every element of Addison Montgomery's life revolves around children. She works as a doctor, saving the... More

1: Only Dreaming
2: Who's that girl?
3: Sand at Sundown
4: Trouble In Paradise
5: It Takes a Village
6: Safe and Sound
7: Be Still
8: Humble Abode
9: New Beginnings
10: Good News
11: Finally Home
12: Touchy Subject
13: Family Dinner
14: Where do we go from here?
15: All Through the Night
16: Someone to Lean On
17: Confessions
18: Set a Foundation
19: What I Like About You
20: Healing Together
21: Mother Dearest
22: It's All Coming Back
23: Stay With Me
24: Merry and Bright
25: Practice Makes Perfect
26: All Too Well
27: Rise Above
29: Breathe Deep
30: Hold It Together
31: Free vs Trapped
32: Almost Paradise
33: Holding You Close
34: Back at the Beginning
35: Limbo
36: Remedy for a Broken Heart
37: Skinny Love
38: Up and Away
39: Satan Returns
40: Hometown Glory
41: Starry Night Pt. 1
42: Starry Night Pt. 2
43: Bad News Baby
44: Marigolds and Roses
45: Alex
46: Call Your Mom
47: The Aftermath
48: Cloud Surfing
49: Turquoise Getaway
Chapter 50: In which we reach the end.

28: Business as Usual

580 33 3
By SophiaMontgomeryGrey

Clara POV:

"What time's mom coming home?" I asked Arizona as we finished up the cookies we were baking.

"Uh," she said, checking her phone. "I thought she was supposed to be home an hour ago. Callie hun, when does Addie get off work tonight?"

"5:30," Callie called out from the bathroom.

"I'll give her a call. Sofia, take the cookies out when the oven beeps please," Arizona said, patting my shoulder and stepping aside.

Sofia nodded, turning towards the oven to keep watch.

I love spending time with Callie, Arizona, and Sofia, but I always liked it better when my mom was there. I'm definitely getting a lot closer with Sofia though! It's really refreshing to have someone in my life who I know is dependable. Not that Scarlett and aren't dependable, but they don't always have ways of communication with me like Sofia does through Arizona and Callie.

I looked up from the tray of freshly baked cookies to gaze at Arizona's face in the corner of the room as she talked into the phone, her smile changing into a concerned expression.

"Of course, we'll be there right away," she said into the phone while she made her way back over to me.

"What's up?" Callie asked, noticing the mood shift as she walked into the kitchen.

"So," Arizona began, pulling out a chair and motioning me to sit on her lap, to which I immediately accepted. "Cora hasn't been feeling well lately, and today she had a fall. When she fell, she hurt her head a little, so she's staying in the hospital tonight. She's gonna be just fine, but Addie wants to stay up there with her. Is it okay if we bring you by to stay with them?" She explained, holding onto my hands.

How had Cora gotten sick when I wasn't there to take care of her?

How did I let this happen?

"Yes," I answered, looking between Callie and Arizona through my now glassy eyes. "Yes, we should go now."

"Ok sweetheart," Arizona said as I stood up. "Callie, I can take her if you want to stay here with Sofia."

"Alright," she agreed. "Have Addie call us and give us some updates," Callie added, giving me a hug.

"We should bring her some of the cookies. She loves cookies," I said quickly, trying to find some way to help.

"That's a perfect idea. I'll get some into a bin for us to bring," Arizona answered.

*

Not long after, the two of us had pulled up to St. Ambrose Hospital and parked the car by the visitors entrance. As we got out of the car, it occurred to me that I haven't really seen much of the place despite the fact that my mom worked there, as well as the fact that I was a patient there recently.

We walked through the large glass doors, and Arizona led us confidently to the desk. There was a large amount of people scattered about throughout the waiting room, as well as doctors and nurses walking about in a variety of colored scrubs.

"Hello, we're here to see Cora Wheeler up in peds," Arizona said, addressing the receptionist.

"Of course Dr. Robbins, let's get this little one a visitor's pass and then I'll have a nurse take you guys up to her room," she explained as she printed out a small sticker and handed it to me.

"I've got it covered," I heard a familiar and commanding voice announce from a nearby hallway.

"Auntie Amy!" I announced happily as I ran into her arms.

"Heya love bug. You ready to go see Cora?" She asked, readjusting me onto her hip.

"Yea," I replied, desperately wanting to see her, yet nervous of the circumstances.

"Thanks Zona," Amelia said, waving to Arizona and beginning to head off towards the elevators. "She's gonna be okay honey," she assured. "She's already feeling much better, and Addie and I are going to make sure that she gets treated, okay?"

"Okay."

After a quick elevator ride, Amelia walked down the long hallway, me still suspended on her hip, all the way to Cora's room. Amelia gave me a reassuring smile before knocking on the door.

"Come in!" I heard Addie announce.

Amelia opened the door and walked us both into the room, where I was met with a very tired looking Cora, and an equally tired mom, both of whom were trying to put on comforting smiles. It relieved me a bit to see Cora sitting up without any visible signs of injury, but I knew the hurt she must have had inside, and how scared she must have felt. That's how I had felt.

Amelia set me down, and I immediately hopped up on Cora's bed to lay next to her. I rested my head on her shoulder, trying to accept that she was okay. That she wasn't going to leave me.

"Hey Clara," Cora smiled down at me. "I missed you! Although, it sucks that we had to meet up here," she laughed a bit.

I couldn't figure out what to say.

"Clara bug, I'm gonna be fine," she assured.

"You promise?"

She looked back up at Addie before responding.

"Promise," she answered.

Addison POV:

It was a long night spent in the arm chair of the hospital. Cora and Clara shared the bed, both sleeping pretty well. I have to say, they looked absolutely adorable all snuggled up together. Cora was discharged earlier this morning, but she would need to rest for a few days until the concussion wears off. I made some arrangements with Joanna to head to the house and check on her a couple times this week, just to make sure she's doing ok. I would bring Clara with me too. As for today, I was off to my attorney's office to have my first official meeting regarding the adoption hearing, which was scheduled for just three weeks away.

After I dropped Clara off at school and Cora at Joanna's, I headed straight to the law firm. God I hate this place. Makes me nervous. I guess I just don't really understand how a group of people I've never met before can judge whether or not I should be my daughter's mother. I guess I finally know how Violet felt.

"Addison, good to see you again," Jonathan said as I opened the door to the office.

"You too, at least this time I'm not getting sued or getting a divorce," I laughed nervously.

"Yes, for that I am grateful. These cases usually go over pretty smoothly. The hearing is typically more of a formality," he said, pulling out a chair for me to sit opposite him at the desk.

"Well, everything seems to complicate itself in my life recently," I sighed.

Jonathan gave a reassuring smile in response.

"Well, tell me about her. How has everything been with Clara?"

"Well, she's the light of my life. Parenting is definitely a whole different lifestyle. I mean, every single thing I do I do in some way for Clara. But I wouldn't have it any other way," I answered honestly.

"That's great to hear. Really Addison, that's wonderful. And when you testify in court, you should tell the judge that that's exactly how you feel about her. Today, all we have to do is gather up all our details to present to the judge. Do you have character witnesses in line that you want to speak for you in court?"

"Yes," I smiled. "Dr. Amelia Shepherd, Dr. Charlotte King, Dr. Arizona Robbins, Dr. Callie Torres, and Joanna Brown."

"Perfect. Next, any relationship? Anyone living in the house with you?" He asked.

"It's complicated," I sighed.

"Not again Addison," he looked at me knowingly.

"No, no, no. Not like that. I have a relationship. I do. It's just, I'm scared. I don't know if she's moving in or not. I don't know where it's going," I defended.

"She?"

"Yes, I'm in a relationship with Dr. Meredith Grey."

"Wait," he paused. "Grey as in Derek's-" he began.

"Yes, Meredith Grey as in Derek's ex wife. Don't ask too many questions," I sighed.

"Ok," he laughed. "Are you happy with her?"

"Of course," I replied.

"Then ask her to move in with you."

"Would that not complicate things tenfold with the adoption?"

"Well, yes," he replied. "But it shouldn't be a deal breaker by any means. And if you really like her-if you love her, it's gonna happen one way or another. Might as well get it over with now."

"I'll let you know," I smiled.

"I'm sure you will."'

"Jonathan, don't act so excited about this," I laughed.

"C'mon, am I not supposed to act happy for my long-time client finally getting the family she's always wanted?"

"Ok, I guess so," I winked.

My phone pinged from the side table. I immediately picked it up to read the message, as it could be Joanna or Cora.

"You're smiling," Jonathan said immediately. "Let me guess, it's Meredith."

"Yes," I sighed with a laugh. "It's Meredith."

"That's how you know you're falling. When you look at your text and immediately smile. That's how I knew I was falling for my husband. What does she have to say?" He asked.

"She's headed off to her first shift at St. Ambrose. She took a new job there since I convinced her to stay in LA for a few more months at least. She's making sure we're still on for our date tonight," I blushed, setting my phone down.

"Oh, pick that phone back up and tell her yes," he exclaimed.

"Ok, Ok," I laughed, replying to Mer.

// Have an amazing day. Can't wait to hear about it tonight. Try not to let Charlotte boss you around too much (; \\

A/N: Another date night coming next chapter! Any ideas? Sorry for the slow update, writer's block has been really setting in lately. I hope you all are well. Much love <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

469K 31.7K 47
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
26.7K 648 18
After Kara gets kidnapped by an alien of a species no one has ever heard of, she becomes a whole different person. She never eats, she's barely sleep...
327K 9.8K 105
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
22.1K 627 30
Arizona and Callie have been married for a few years and have a 2 year old daughter. Follow them through happiness and heartache #1 Arizona Robbins...