Through Love Alone

By SophiaMontgomeryGrey

Almost every element of Addison Montgomery's life revolves around children. She works as a doctor, saving the... More

1: Only Dreaming
2: Who's that girl?
3: Sand at Sundown
4: Trouble In Paradise
5: It Takes a Village
6: Safe and Sound
7: Be Still
8: Humble Abode
9: New Beginnings
10: Good News
11: Finally Home
12: Touchy Subject
13: Family Dinner
14: Where do we go from here?
15: All Through the Night
16: Someone to Lean On
17: Confessions
18: Set a Foundation
19: What I Like About You
20: Healing Together
21: Mother Dearest
22: It's All Coming Back
23: Stay With Me
24: Merry and Bright
26: All Too Well
27: Rise Above
28: Business as Usual
29: Breathe Deep
30: Hold It Together
31: Free vs Trapped
32: Almost Paradise
33: Holding You Close
34: Back at the Beginning
35: Limbo
36: Remedy for a Broken Heart
37: Skinny Love
38: Up and Away
39: Satan Returns
40: Hometown Glory
41: Starry Night Pt. 1
42: Starry Night Pt. 2
43: Bad News Baby
44: Marigolds and Roses
45: Alex
46: Call Your Mom
47: The Aftermath
48: Cloud Surfing
49: Turquoise Getaway
Chapter 50: In which we reach the end.

25: Practice Makes Perfect

624 30 14
By SophiaMontgomeryGrey

Clara POV:

"How's our strawberry shortcake coming along sweet pea?" Addie asked me as we continued to prepare for our dinner party this evening. Mama's calling it Friendsgiving, even though it's already past Christmas. Apparently, doctors have tight schedules.

"It's coming great," I responded, placing the final strawberries on top and finding a spare spot for it in the fridge. "So, who's all coming again?"

"Well Amy's already setting up outside, and the rest of them should be here around 6:30. That will be Charlotte, Cooper, Mayson, the triplets, Violet, Sam, Pete, Jake, Arizona, Callie, Sofia, and Meredith."

"That's a lot of people," I answered, looking up at her.

"It is, but we will have lots of space for everyone since we will be outside," she comforted. "But, I do think this might just be the most people I've ever had over here at once!"

"Are you excited to see Meredith?" I asked with a knowing smile.

"Yea of course I'm excited to see Meredith. Why do you ask?"

"Oh no reason," I replied. She doesn't know that Auntie Amy tells me everything. I know all. "I'm gonna go see if Auntie Amelia needs help," I added, hurrying off through the back door.

"How's it going, love bug?" She asked as I shut the door, turning back around to give her a big hug.

"It's good," I smiled. "So," I started, getting down to business, "We have to make sure Mom and Mer sit together tonight."

"Oh trust me, they will," she laughed. "I love this, you're like my little partner in crime."

"What crime?" I asked.

"Oh, just settin' Addie up with her lover girl of course," she winked.

"Oh, of course!"

"Does Addie know you're out here digging into her love life?" She asked with a smirk.

"Well, she thinks I'm out here helping you. Which I am- just in a different way," I smiled shyly.

"You little rebel," she laughed. "Well, while you're out here I could use some help setting out these flowers. You're good at that artsy stuff."

I smiled, taking the flowers from her and beginning to place them around the deck and steps.

After I finished with the flowers, I headed back inside to go get ready for the party. When I headed back inside, Addie was already upstairs taking a shower. I decided to use the time to pick out my outfit for the night. Well, first I went across the hall to Addie's room to see what she was wearing. A white knit sweater paired with light jeans were laid out across her bed.

I got back to my closet, and decided on my white sweater with black polka dots, paired with a white bow to match her outfit. By the time I finished getting dressed, the sounds of the running shower had stopped and were replaced by a light knocking at the door.

"Come in," I answered.

Addie gently opened the door and walked in wrapped in her bathrobe and her hair up in a towel.

"Aw look at you," she smiled. "So stylish- we'll match!"

"I know," I smiled shyly. "Could you help me with my hair?"

"Sure," she replied, sitting down on the end of my bed, patting the space in front of her for me to hop up.

"Ponytail please," I smiled, handing her the bow as I rested back onto her chest.

"Of course," she smiled. "But you might have to sit up a bit so I can brush it up."

"Noo," I pouted, snuggling tighter now.

"We'll snuggle later, I promise," she laughed.

"Ok," I sighed, sitting up and allowing her to brush my hair up.

It reminded me of the day I first met Addie. When Josh had pulled my hair, and she helped to redo it. I never could have imagined I would feel as safe as I do now, right here.

*

A little while later, I sat on the lounge chairs on the patio on Addie's lap as the guests started to arrive. Meredith, Arizona, Callie, and Sofia were among the first to arrive, and were setting up the food they had brought on the table. I could tell my mom desperately wanted to go over and talk to Mer by the way she kept looking over at the bunch.

"Go talk to them Mom," I smiled, nudging her and getting up off her lap.

"Alright sweet pea," she smiled back, standing up as well to join the rest.

I headed inside to talk to Sofia on the couch, and got the door as the others arrived. Charlotte arrived next, along with Cooper and the kids.

"Hey sweet girl," Charlotte said as I wrapped my arms around her as soon as I opened the door. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing good," I smiled up at her.

I had become quite comfortable with Charlotte ever since Josh showed up at the practice last week. She was another safe person, which I was beginning to have more and more of.

"You guys look cute," I said to the triplets. I had never met them before, but the young toddlers looked adorable in their matching dresses.

"What do you say girls?" Charlotte gestured.

"Thank you," Georgia said, the other two following.

I followed them through the house and onto the back deck, to which I noticed that Violet, Jake, Sam, and Pete were all outside. They must've gone through the back.

"Hey Clara!" Pete said, noticing my presence.

"Hi Mr. Pete," I responded, walking over to Addie.

"Well, I think everyone's here now," she smiled. "You guys ready to eat?" she asked the group.

"Of course!" Cooper laughed immediately, earning a light punch on the arm from Charlotte. "Ouch!"

"Big baby," she rolled her eyes.

"Help yourselves!" Addie smiled, as the crowd lined up at the table to grab their plates.

I had to admit, I was super excited to taste Callie's cooking again. It was amazing last time. I quickly filled up my plate with a variety of fruits, green beans, paella, and bread, and took a seat next to Addie. Amy sat on the other side of me, and Mer sat to the left of Addie, no prompting needed.

"I'm so glad this all worked out!" Callie announced to the group. "Scheduling these big get-togethers is near impossible nowadays! I miss you guys."

"Me too," Amy smiled at Callie.

Addison POV:

Everything at the dinner was running really smoothly. I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face, with both my favorite girls sitting next to me.

"Guess who's coming to work with us at St. Ambrose?" Charlotte announced. Everyone looked up expectantly. "Meredith," she smiled.

"Really?! That's amazing!" Arizona smiled. "I thought you were heading back to Seattle?"

"I decided to stay a bit longer," Mer smiled in response.

"How come?" She asked.

"I found some things here that I don't want to leave just yet," she replied, holding onto my hand from under the table.

"Oh Mama," Clara said, looking up at me. "I forgot to tell you that Scarlett invited me to her birthday party next week. Do you think I could go?"

"Of course," I replied. "Where at?"

"I think we are going to the movies with Scarlett's mom and then Emily is having the party at her house afterwards. We get to decorate our own cupcakes!" She said happily.

"Sounds great!" I replied, happy that I got to give Clara a somewhat normal childhood after all of those years bouncing around in foster homes.

"Thank you!" she smiled.

I smiled back in response.

*

A little while later things were winding down, and we all dispersed into little groups. Some of us were on the beach, including but not limited to Meredith, Amy, and I. A few others were up on the deck chatting and sharing drinks: mostly the guys. Charlotte and Cooper had to leave a bit earlier to take the kids home and get the triplets to bed.

"I will never get tired of these beach sunsets," I sighed happily, eagerly awaiting the sun to go down in just a few minutes, watching from our chairs set up on the beach.

"Me neither," Clara smiled, still snuggled up on my lap.

"I love my new apartment, but I do miss these beach views. The lookout from the city isn't as great," Amelia added.

"You know you're welcome over any time," I laughed in response.

"I know," she winked.

"Mom, I think I'm getting tired," Clara yawned, nuzzling her head into Amy who was sitting next to us.

"Wanna go up to bed, snuggle monster?" Amy asked.

"Yea," she smiled cutely, allowing Amy to pick her up and begin to take her inside.

"Sweet dreams love bug," I called out, blowing a kiss her way.

"You too," she smiled cutely.

"You two are so adorable," Mer smiled, scooching over into the vacant space next to me that Clara had made.

"I love her so much," I sighed.

"She loves you," she replied.

We sat in comfortable silence for a bit, just watching the sun set.

"This really is incredible," Mer sighed, breaking the silence.

"It is," I smiled. "You and the sky," I winked.

"No, that's all you," she smiled as I blushed.

I got lost in her eyes for a moment, before I came back into the moment, pressing a long, soft kiss to her lips.

"Even more perfect," Mer smiled.

A/N: Hope you guys are having an awesome week! Love you all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 303K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
4.8M 254K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
226M 6.9M 92
When billionaire bad boy Eros meets shy, nerdy Jade, he doesn't recognize her from his past. Will they be able to look past their secrets and fall in...