Heart Strings

By Moonpvssy

Henry was never the type of guy that was like by many people at school. Like most nerds, he didn't really car... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Discussion
Chapter twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four

Chapter Thirteen

27 3 2
By Moonpvssy

Henry's POV

It was Friday night and I was sitting at the table with my mom and sister. I made lasagna for the three of us. Mom hasn't touched her plate, sipping on red wine that was staining her lips. Sabrina was watching something on her table as she bit into a meatball.

The table wasn't anything special, just something to keep her entertained. She had finished all the pages of her coloring book. I didn't want her playing with rocks and bugs anymore. She seemed to like it, which I took that as a good thing.

"Where is Chad?" Mom asked suddenly.

I choked on my water and looked up at her as I placed my glass down. It had been days since the tub incident, and Chad wasn't here. I didn't mind it at all.

"I don't know." I said poking at the noodles on my plate.

"What?... You haven't seen him?" she asked leaning up in her seat.

"It's not like I have a reason to." I snapped

Chad was a stranger, I avoided him at all costs when he did come around. So, his disappearing from the house hadn't affected me. Mom rolled her eyes standing up and walking over to the couch.

"Sabrina let's watch a movie." Mom called out as she sat down on the white couch.

I looked to my right, and Sabrina hopped down from the chair. She grabbed the tablet and walked over to the couch. I sighed and got up, cleaning the table off.

Since Mom had stayed in the tub for three days, I had time to check the house for any drugs. I cleaned the house from top to bottom. I brought new towels. It felt nice to do something nice for her.

In the past three days, I also thought about Maddison. I would be tutoring her tomorrow, the situation was still new to me. I also began to feel bad, I hadn't had the chance to tell her about the money part. It is not her business anyway, I brushed that thought away.

I was scraping the food into the trash bin when my phone rang. I placed the plate down and grabbed my phone off the table.

"Hello?" I said

"Henry." Phoebe whispered into the phone.

"Why are you whispering?" I asked leaving the kitchen.

I heard rustling and sniffles.

"Phoebe?" I asked after a moment of silence.

"Yeah?"

"Why are you crying?" I asked curiously

Phoebe goes quiet, her breathing hindered.

"I'm not." she sniffed

"Well, as much as I wanna say on the phone. I need to take a shower." I said

"Okay..alright." she breathed out. After the line went dead. I felt like a bad friend for not asking more questions but I was exhausted.

I reached the bathroom, turning the shower on to the hottest temperature. I closed the bathroom door and began to strip my clothes off. My mind wandered back to Maddison.

I remembered part of her conversation about us, me.

-Start of Flashback-

"So, ever since then, I've been hooked on honey." Maddison laughed as she sipped on a newly made mixed drink. It was a fruit punch mixed with Sprite and watermelon juice.

"Do you like honey?" Maddison asked

"No, watch a document of bees." I muttered

Maddison let out a tiny giggle.

"Henry, I don't think you've noticed but I've been trying to get to know you better. Be your friend too." she explained her face void of any other emotion besides seriousness.

I cursed myself as I felt my face heat up. I hadn't expected that confession if you could even call it that.

"I have noticed." I admitted quietly.

This conversation and the occasional texts were proof enough. Yet, I understood Maddison's status. The thought of being her friend for a few jokes left a bitter taste in my mouth.

"Oh." Maddison said quietly.

I bit my lip, her expression reminding me of Sabrina when I won't give her dessert after 8 pm. I didn't know what to say, I also couldn't handle that pout either.

"I don't mind opening up to it though." I said trying to lighten the mood.

-End Of Flashback-

I had agreed to let Madison into my life. I guess it wasn't a deal. She was human after all, and everyone deserves a chance. Besides, Phoebe was always home nowadays. Tonight was the first time we talked ever since the party. So, I was thankful for Saturday, to be honest.

I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around myself. The water had run cold and I wanted nothing more than to rest my eyes. I walked to my room. I grabbed some pjs off the floor and dressed. I walked to my bed, the soft blanket making me let out a soft sigh.

---

It was Saturday morning and I placed three waffles on Sabrina's plate. I let her drown the round golden circle in syrup as I pulled her hair in a ponytail.

I turned back to the stove and took the bacon off the stove and placed some on Sabrina's plate.

"Eat." I said moving her plate closer to her.

"Can I take the tablet?" she asked

"No." I said as I bent down grabbing my bag off the floor to check it.

I heard Sabrina whine in frustration. "Why?"

"What if you break it? It's expensive." I said zipping my bag up. I made a few printed math sheets inside, I had one for every unit.

"I like playing Angry Birds." she fussed showing me the screen like it would change my mind.

"No, now stop asking." I said sternly.

Sabrina went back to eating her waffles in silence. I sighed and stood up, I kissed her forehead and went to grab my phone off the charger.

I leaned against the counter as I show a few notifications pop up. A few messages from Maddison.

Maddison - Dad made sandwiches and brownies. Hope u have an appetite lol 😂

Maddison - u aren't allergic to peanuts are you?

Me - No.

I shut my phone off and shoved it in my back pocket. Sabrina was on her last waffle and I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. After 30 minutes, I was getting Sabrina in the car. She was still mad about the tablet, the pout on her face was profound. 

"They cooked brownies, you can have as many as you like." I said making sure she was buckled up correctly.

"Really?" her eyes lit up

I shook my head and backed up, closing the door and going to get in the driver's seat. I smiled to myself, a sugar high wouldn't hurt anyone.

---

Forty minutes passed before I was pulling into Carter's driveway. I parked my car and grabbed my book bag. I opened the door for Sabrina, she had already gotten out of her seatbelt. We walked up to the door, I knocked on the door three times.

The door opened and I saw Maddison. Her eyes were bright and her lips were pulled into a big smile. Her brown hair was pulled into two separate braids.

"Henry!" she exclaimed as she moved to the side.

"Hello Sabrina!" she said waving to my sister

Sabrina waved back happily and I felt warm inside. I want her to feel comfortable but not forced to come but the thought of leaving her home was a no. Besides, Derek was nice enough to watch her.

I heard heavy footsteps approach and I looked up to see Maddison's dad.

"Hello, Sabrina and Henry." he said in a calmer state with a plate in hand. It was a sandwich split into two and three brownies.

"I hope this is okay." he said as he leaned down to hand the plate to Sabrina.

Her eyes widen and her smile grew, she looked up at me.

"...yeah." I said surprised.

Sabrina quickly took the plate and thanked the man in front of her.

"You wanna get started?" I looked over at Maddison.

She nodded and motioned towards the kitchen. I followed behind her. The kitchen smelt of sweet chocolate. We sat down beside each other at the kitchen island. I pulled out the unit one worksheet.

"I wanted to do something else." Madison spoke, making me frown in confusion.

"I thought about a bunch of things we could do today." she said with a smile.

I pulled out my phone and began to set a timer. I placed my phone down.

"This is a tutoring session. You need the help." I said ignoring her.

"Come on, it'll be fun. Besides it'll be just us." Maddison offered.

"Are you implying that this is a date? I'm sure Alex would hate that. Speaking of, do those activities with him." I said looking over at her.

Her smile dropped slightly as she looked back at the white worksheet on the table. I looked away and placed my face in my hand.

"I thought you wanted to be my friend, friends hang out outside of school."

"This isn't school." I interrupted with an eye roll.

"After?"

"Huh?" I asked confused

"After the hour is up, after our tutoring session. Can we hang out?" Maddison asked with a hopeful smile.

It's been a long time since I did anything. Besides going to the park with Sabrina, even then I'm sitting down at a picnic table or bench watching her from afar. Yet, Maddison wanted to hang out alone, meaning I would have to leave Sabrina. I had no intention of agreeing to the hang-out but something burned inside me to say yes.

So,  I caved and agreed. Maddison focused on the sheet in front of her. I helped when she asked for it, she tried to spark a side conversation but failed when I wouldn't answer back. While I waited for Maddison to finish, I eyed the brownies on the counter.

I decided to get up and get two, maybe Maddison and I could use a snack. It had been thirty minutes, and I had given Maddison a unit two worksheet. I placed the brownie in front of her, making her look up.

"Thanks, can I take a break? My hand is starting to cramp." she whined as she pushed the papers aside along with a calculator I brought with me.

I nodded taking my seat beside her. Before I could ask Maddison about this planned afternoon her phone rang. She murmured a quick apology as she answered the phone.

Her calm face broke into a frown.

"Wait- Eva-." Maddison's eyes widen

I shifted in my seat as I watched the scene unfold in front of me. Maddison was repeatedly telling the person on the other end to calm down.

"Uh, sure." She said finally standing up.

I looked at the plate in front of me awkwardly as I waited for a dismissal of some kind. She hung up the phone and cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry Henry, I gotta go. I'm not canceling on you. Maybe a reschedule?" Maddison begged as
She stood to her feet.

"...sure." I said as I watched her go.

/////////

Well, I hope you enjoyed the read...Leave your thoughts and feelings!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

346 12 10
Evie was the wild child of the bunch. She was always everywhere and doing everything, all so she could pour it into her writing. Being a writer was t...
480 97 18
" It's not about who becomes your friend but it's all about who stays . " The beginning was great , a bunch of highschoolers who are friends since m...
3K 1.2K 23
⭐ #1 in high school love story.⭐ ⭐COMPLETED⭐ 'Why are things getting against me?' 'Why am I with him every time I am in an embarrassing situation?' ...
45.4K 1.8K 34
"What the hell did you do!?" I heard a feminine voice behind me. I groaned and turned around to meet a very angry face. I have never seen a girl this...