Thaw out a Second Life

Od Ein-Usagi

A month after the incident with Victorious META, Tirpitz lives her second chance in life free of another ego... Viac

Start of Atonement
Struggle to Lie
Lingering Inner Conflict
A Sister's Concern
Doubting a Life
Day of Festivity
The Other Bismarck
Heart of the Beast
Distorted Blizzard
Weighing a Choice
Trust and Distrust
Black King, Red Fox
Raging Blizzard
Calm after the Storm
What Comes after the Blizzard
Choices in Life
Hunter and Prey
Uneasiness
Ice and Flame Once Again
An Older Sister's Promise
Pinpointing a Bait
Beginning to Unravel
To Set in Motion
Nothing to Hide
To Face the Truth
Weight of the Deception
Even Deceit Must End
Once and For All
Life Goes On

Prologue: Start of an Obstacle

342 11 16
Od Ein-Usagi

A month has passed ever since Victorious META disappeared for good, but Tirpitz isn't completely at ease yet. She has come to mostly accept her newfound life. Those who are aware of her situation are the ones who describe it as a "newfound life" while she personally views it as a "replacing a second life".

"......." Tirpitz sits at the side of her bed

As Tirpitz has access to the memories of the original owner, she is always unsatisfied because she can only view it. Since it feels detached, she's left intrigued and lost. There's no way for her to learn the emotions behind those viewed memories.

"The damage couldn't retrieve all the memories......"

In the middle of reviewing the memories of the deceased owner, the missing ones cause a sudden black out and static, skipping to the next memory in chronological order. Tirpitz is mildly frustrated mostly due to the worry that she may lack key details to how the original Tirpitz lived.

"We almost had the same life, huh. That Victorious's interference overturned your fate that day. She actually prevented repeating our mistake......"

Tirpitz views the recorded moment of the original Tirpitz attempting to use the capability of an unfinished attempt only for the power to recoil at her. The damage from the enemy is further amplified, causing her to internally overheat and her consciousness unable to sustain the body.

"Tirpitz"

Bismarck calls out her name after knocking three times. There shouldn't be any reason to worry, but Tirpitz's habit makes her unleash cold air on her fingertips the second she stands up.

"Ah......"

When she realizes she's nearly going into an offensive stance and unleash cold air, Tirpitz quickly deactivates her ability. The "current" Tirpitz is supposed to be free of the META and lose her freezing ability as a result, but she nearly forgets it seconds before Bismarck gently pushes the door open.

"Tirpitz, is everything alright?" Bismarck asks cluelessly
"Huh?"
"You didn't answer the door......and you look pale"

In Bismarck's perspective, her younger sister is standing near the door with an anxious and confused expression. What's more, she initially sees her grabbing her right wrist and frowning for no apparent reason.

"I'm fine. You startled me when you knocked" Tirpitz quickly makes an excuse
"I didn't mean to disturb you" Bismarck is still slightly puzzled
"So.....why are you here? It's rare for you to personally come to my room"

Since she keeps up her current guise, Tirpitz regains what's presumed to be her normal composure. Like always, Tirpitz relaxes her expression and speaks calmly. The only difference is they see Tirpitz as someone who mellowed down due to Victorious being an optimistic and honest friend. Her influence is the reason Tirpitz smiles gently from time to time and softer.

"You're avoiding your weekly check-ups again" Bismarck crosses her arms
"..........!" Tirpitz nearly jolts upon remembering
"I told you that it's important to your well-being"
"There's nothing wrong with me"
"It's not that something's wrong with you. There's no telling if your wisdom cube has fully recovered yet. Neumark said it would take at least two months for you to make a full recovery"
"........" Tirpitz averts her gaze

Of course, Tirpitz is slightly awkward since her wisdom cube is fully recovered ever since she survived the last confrontation with Victorious META. Due to her circumstances, she wishes to avoid detection and inspection as much as possible because what the human eye couldn't analyze, technology can certainly make it possible.

"Is there a reason why you don't like your wisdom cube being scanned?" Bismarck raises an eyebrow
"It just makes me uncomfortable"
"You don't think of it that way before? In fact, you don't even react"
(How can I make her go away?) Tirpitz is focused on it alone
".......Fine. I won't force you if you strongly refuse" Bismarck sighs in surrender
"Huh?" Tirpitz blinks in surprise
"Since you're stable right now and I don't want us to argue, I won't force you visit Neumark"
"......"

Bismarck easily giving in without any reason baffles Tirpitz since the one she knows is ridden with guilt and regret.

"Don't push yourself too much even if you've been going on normal sorties" Bismarck turns away
"I'm not reckless, so you don't have to worry about me"

It's genuine from concern from Bismarck, so Tirpitz smiles in acceptance this knowing Bismarck is trying to act like an older sister after learning her lesson. However, she knows that sisterly love isn't directed to her, but she couldn't admit of longing for it.

"Just a month ago, you fought Victorious META on your own and got a sword to the chest. We thought you died"
"......." Tirpitz coldly sweats
"Your wisdom cube didn't emit any energy and you stopped breathing"
"Well, I managed to survive"

Tirpitz plays it off by keeping a calm and collected demeanor like she always does. It's best to leave it as what everyone presumes since Bismarck is fortunately not questioning her suddenly springing back to life for a few seconds before falling back into unconsciousness......for the next two seconds.

"You may not be so lucky next time, so don't push yourself. More importantly, don't try to take on your worst enemy by yourself"
"Fine....." Tirpitz sighs
"......Especially that you don't have your abilities as a META anymore"
"That will make things harder for me. I won't try to get myself killed next time" Tirpitz assures her
"Don't make me worry like that. You almost made me cry" Bismarck turns away again
"You almost cried?"
"Just think about your survival next time"

The reason Bismarck is quick to turn away is because she jolts when Tirpitz actually overhears her mumbling to herself. Before Tirpitz can pressure her into being honest, Bismarck hurriedly marches out of Tirpitz's room and leaves the scene in five seconds flat.

"Avoiding check ups for too long might raise suspicions from Neumark, but I can't conceal the true nature of my wisdom cube"

Tirpitz shuts the door close and focuses her on her current obstacles as she sits back on the side of her bed. It's natural for everyone to view her normally by her appearance alone, but the normal wisdom cube gave out after exerting itself. As it crumbled from the repeated fatal damages, the META's wisdom cube rebuilt itself as the core of the body through the scattered pieces - using the sacrifice as a foundation and nutrition.

"Strange. I'm nervous about hiding my true self, but I feel content the way I am. No, I think that I simply miss this peaceful life after living in bitterness for so long......"

Rather than constantly live in worry, Tirpitz finds a moment of peace remembering that she truly wanted a second life free from revenge and bitterness. Her is somewhat at peace at the reminder of a certain someone telling her it's disrespectful to waste away her current life.

"I need to get a grip of myself. Even if I'm a different person, I'm still Tirpitz. They're living in ignorance, but it makes them happy......"

It's a bittersweet emotion mixing in her chest since it's horrible to lie to keep them oblivious, but it's the only way to keep the people she knows to be peacefully satisfied.

"That's right. I have to make sure she didn't give up her life for nothing. Besides, I have to  make sure Victorious doesn't turn into another pain in the ass"

Tirpitz closes her eyes at the thought of having to be against another troublesome Victorious and even her ability reacts to her current mood. The room's temperature drastically lowers that white ice forms on the walls and floor beneath her.

The next day......

Neumark has just finished regular maintenance on Scharnhorst and Gneisenau's ships, nodding proudly and lightly sighing in relief. Out of simple joy to what's viewed as a mundane job, she places her hands on her hips and her lips curve upward with a satisfied smile. Every part and area are checked on her clipboard, giving another simple sense of accomplishment.

"Good as new in a short amount of time. Man, you work wonders, Nuemark" Scharnhorst whistles
"Well, she has been a repair ship a long time after her retirement from the front lines" Gneisenau reminds her sister
"Most of my experience is from taking care of the stubborn queen. That head of hers is sturdier than Atlantic ice. Seriously, why can't she stop getting herself bombed every now and then!" Neumark begins to rant
"Oh boy. Here she goes again....." Scharnhorst shakes her head
"C-calm down, Neumark. Tirpitz lost her powers now and there's no evil ghost inside her, so she's taking care of herself" Gneisenau taps her shoulders
"Speaking of which! Can you two drag her to the infirmary the next time you see her? Bismarck doesn't want to force her to a check-up. She's been avoiding examinations like the plague"
"If Tirpitz doesn't want to, then why force her?" Scharnhorst raises an eyebrow
"It's for Tirpitz's wellbeing! She refused to have her wisdom cube scanned and analyzed ever since her problem got solved a month ago!"

The once calm repair ship, angrily stomps her foot on the ground and nearly smashes her clipboard on the ground. Her anger would have snapped in half.

"Why is Tirpitz nervous with examinations all of a sudden? I'm worried about the after effects of the META vanishing from her wisdom cube" Neumark takes a deep breath to calm down
"Uh....how should we know?" Scharnhorst scratches her head
"You should drag her yourself next time" Gneisenau places her hand on her forehead
"I'm just a repair ship. I can't carry that blockhead who's surprisingly heavier than her sister"
"......."

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau briefly look at each other, unsure what else to advise to soothe Neumark's primary frustration. The best solution is to let Tirpitz come on her accord, but considering her personality, it's highly unlikely - thus her frustration.

"Hmm?" Neumark turns around

Just in the distance, she overhears a familiar excitable voice repeatedly calling out a name.

"Tirpitz!"

It turns out to be Victorious dragging Tirpitz who's clearly unhappy and uninterested in whatever Victorious has in mind. Even if she's clearly not in the mood, she makes little to no attempt in escaping from someone physically weaker than her.

"Quit yapping. What are you? An angry corgi?" Tirpitz's is both annoyed and tired
"No, that would be Warspite, silly!"
"......."
"Let's go out and have some fun. You always stay indoors just because it's hot"
"Between you and the selfish one, I don't know which is worse......" Tirpitz is having slight regret

Comparing the two briefly reminds her of the "past" similar to her current situation - a time where she lives with little worry and enjoying the present with the few people she cares about.

"By the way, I went to see Bismarck earlier. She's having problems making you go for a check-up" Victorious lets her go after suddenly remembering
".....!" Tirpitz lightly jolts
"She says it's like you're scared of examinations. Did Neumark do something to make you avoid examinations?" Victorious narrows her eyes
"......I'm not afraid of examinations" Tirpitz weakly replies
"Tirpitz, do you think lying to me is easy?"

Victorious is obviously not amused with Tirpitz's halfhearted excuse and denial. In fact, she's dismayed that she crosses her arms and throws a sharp glare at the stubborn battleship.

"I just don't like anyone analyzing my wisdom cube" Tirpitz makes her response vague
"Why? It's just a normal scan, you know"
"......" Tirpitz couldn't think of another excuse
"You're nervous. Is everything alright?"

Victorious leans her head closer, both worried and intrigued at Tirpitz frowning out of being uneasy and anxious. It's rare for her to express wavering emotions even if she regained a portion of her lost heart.

"I'm your friend, you know. Just tell me what's wrong"
"There's nothing wrong.....with me" Tirpitz finally replies
"Then why are you nervous?"
"......."
"Please tell me....." Victorious calmly asks pleads
"I have....nothing to tell you" Tirpitz immediately refuses
"Geez! You're being so stubborn even after you lose your ice powers and that angry ghost!" Victorious pouts and flails her arms
"......."

Awkward at what Victorious just mentioned, Tirpitz averts her gaze until she finishes complaining.

"Why is everyone pushing me for an examination? It's not like I'm going to die"
"Victorious META is gone along with your META version, but we don't know how losing the META duct taping your wisdom cube is affecting your current wisdom cube. Besides, you got a sword right through your heart back then!"

Victorious lightly hits Tirpitz before angrily poking at the area where her heart is supposed to be. Unsure on how to handle being scolded, Tirpitz takes a step back and shuts her mouth close.

"More importantly, you still didn't regain, well.....all of you. I mean only a bit of you returned, so not all of your emotions are back" Victorious exhales
"Is that really important to you?" Tirpitz softly asks
"Of course it is! I promised to help you, remember?"
"Why?" Tirpitz is visibly baffled
"You're my friend, you.....you icy shut-in!"
"That's right. You and I.....are friends after all......"

Every time she's reminded of her connection with the Victorious in front of her, Tirpitz nearly bites her lower lip, and she clenches her fist when they start to tremble.

"Come on, let's go get something to eat. I don't like seeing you depressed" Victorious grabs her wrist
"I'm not depressed" Tirpitz sighs
"Well you're such a drama queen!" Victorious pouts again
"I think that suits you better....." Tirpitz whispers to herself

Tirpitz would have scoffed and chuckled if she's expressive, but she ends up mumbling to herself knowing Victorious would get angry and upset at her for retorting at her.

"........."

As for Neumark, Scharnhorst, and Gneisenau, they spied in one corner, witnessing most of it while clutching to the edge of a wall. Only when the two disappears from their line of sight that they move out of hiding and stand straight in the open again.

"Oh yeah! Tirpitz acts like a helpless puppy to Victorious" Neumark rubs her hands in excitement
"Still, even Victorious couldn't convince her" Gneisenau shakes her head in dismay
"You have to find another way to make her come to you" Scharnhorst shrugs with little care
"Hmph! I'll find a way to make her go for a check-up!"
"Good luck with that....."

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau simultaneously encourage and pity Neumark knowing her chances of success are quite low, but still hopes she would somewhat succeed.

"That little ice queen isn't this stubborn before. She would have agreed to avoid annoyance and trouble in the past" Neumark takes a deep breath
"I can agree with that. Tirpitz plays along because she doesn't want to be pestered all the time" Scharnhorst oddly agrees
"I think we can all see she changed ever since the incident" Gneisenau looks at Scharnhorst for a moment
"How should I put this? I think Tirpitz looks like she has a lot in mind and avoids long conversations. Then there's our few sparring sessions where she looks like she's trying her darnedest to hold back....." Scharnhorst tilts her head left and right
"Tirpitz is holding back? Does she look like she's hiding something?" Neumark raises her head at the sudden thought
"Huh? I don't think so. Tirpitz never tried to lie to us" Scharnhorst looks at Gneisenau this time
"Why do you ask?" Gneisenau is slightly curious
".....Nothing. It's just a random thought that came to mind"

Neumark shakes her head to set aside her deep thought, but her gaze shifts to the direction Tirpitz walked earlier. Even though she has something in mind, premature uncertainty clouds her mind. It's just an opinion from two ships who have little knowledge about Tirpitz's tendencies and habits.

_________________________________________________

Chapter 02: Living as someone else in the eyes of others, Tirpitz struggles to completely act 'normal' as she only has access to most memories. Despite this, she tries to secretly atone for the people she originally killed in her timeline, one of them being the self-proclaimed rival Alabama.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

36.8K 911 52
Ronin wasn't particularly interested in ships but he did love the history of naval combat and the battles that came with it. He lived a normal life...
58.7K 993 28
I am USS Long Beach, after being dismantled I was transported to another world and threatened with death by a goddess, so now I will cooperate with t...
791 41 7
Book 1 of 3 The official report was that he was shot down over Zhytomyr, but that isn't the case. The main part of our story takes place in the far a...
107K 1.1K 18
Ethan was an office worker who was made fun of by his co-workers because he liked anime, but soon his life changed when his phone started malfunction...