Through Love Alone

By SophiaMontgomeryGrey

Almost every element of Addison Montgomery's life revolves around children. She works as a doctor, saving the... More

1: Only Dreaming
2: Who's that girl?
3: Sand at Sundown
4: Trouble In Paradise
5: It Takes a Village
6: Safe and Sound
7: Be Still
8: Humble Abode
9: New Beginnings
10: Good News
12: Touchy Subject
13: Family Dinner
14: Where do we go from here?
15: All Through the Night
16: Someone to Lean On
17: Confessions
18: Set a Foundation
19: What I Like About You
20: Healing Together
21: Mother Dearest
22: It's All Coming Back
23: Stay With Me
24: Merry and Bright
25: Practice Makes Perfect
26: All Too Well
27: Rise Above
28: Business as Usual
29: Breathe Deep
30: Hold It Together
31: Free vs Trapped
32: Almost Paradise
33: Holding You Close
34: Back at the Beginning
35: Limbo
36: Remedy for a Broken Heart
37: Skinny Love
38: Up and Away
39: Satan Returns
40: Hometown Glory
41: Starry Night Pt. 1
42: Starry Night Pt. 2
43: Bad News Baby
44: Marigolds and Roses
45: Alex
46: Call Your Mom
47: The Aftermath
48: Cloud Surfing
49: Turquoise Getaway
Chapter 50: In which we reach the end.

11: Finally Home

1K 46 0
By SophiaMontgomeryGrey

Clara POV:

As I stared out the window, I felt the car begin to slow as we rolled into the driveway of the house that would now be where I live. I could hear Joanna and Cora talking to each other in the front seat, but I didn't pay much attention. For the first time in a while, I could feel that this was a good thing. I think this is all good- moving in with Addison. I mean- It's Addison. I love her.

It's too fast. It's fostering- it might not be forever.

But I can't help it. Addison makes me feel loved. She makes me feel safe.

"Alright, you ready Clara?" Joanna asked, unbuckling her seatbelt.

"Yea," I smiled, doing the same and opening the door.

"This is quite the house Clara," Cora laughed. "It'll be wonderful," she smiled. Cora had decided to come with us so that she could help me unpack my things and say goodbye, so this was the first time she would be seeing the house.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the front door to the house swing open, Addison stepping outside onto the steps. She wore a gentle smile on her face, as well as a pink blouse and black pants. Addison always looked professional.

I walked up to the steps, and Addison wrapped me into a tight hug. I didn't expect it, but I felt a single tear run down my cheek. I guess I just couldn't believe that I got so lucky; that this was actually happening.

Joanna and Cora followed up the steps behind me carrying bags in their hands. They already had most all of them in their hands, as I didn't have a whole lot.

"Hi Cora, It's nice to see you again," Addison greeted, stepping back and prompting us to come inside.

"You too," Cora smiled, glancing around the house as she walked inside.

"We can just set the bags down at the steps for now," Addison added. "Do you need anything to drink?"

"No thank you," Joanna replied.

"I'll have some water please," Cora said.

"Me too," I smiled up at her, once again thinking about how much I'm going to miss my big sister.

"Of course," Addison replied, walking into the kitchen.

Cora and I went to sit down on the couch. After she sat down, she wrapped her arm around my shoulders.

"You're gonna visit me, right?" Cora asked me.

I was a little surprised by the question. I wasn't sure how much she would actually be missing me. I didn't think it would be as much as I would be missing her.

"Of course," I hugged her. "Addison told me that we can go see you whenever I want."

"Good," she smiled. "I'm gonna miss you little bug."

We were interrupted as Addison and Joanna came into the living room with our waters.

"Thank you," we both said.

"Of course," Addison smiled, with no teeth showing as usual.

"Clara, come show me where your room is and we can start bringing your bags upstairs. I have to get back to the rest of the kids soon," Joanna smiled sadly.

"Alright," I said standing up and walking over to the stairwell.

Addison POV:

Joanna followed Clara up the stairs, so it was just Cora and I on the couch. I was about to follow them, when Cora stopped me.

"Dr. Montgomery," she began, looking up at me.

I was confused for a moment, not understanding why she was calling me Dr. Montgomery when she had only known me as Addison. I could sense she was nervous, so I think she was trying to be polite.

"You can call me Addison, honey," I told her, smiling.

"Oh ok," she smiled back, looking down at her lap. "So, I was wondering if maybe Clara and I could stay in contact? I trust you of course! It's just, she's my little sister, and I'm really going to miss her, so maybe-uh"

"Cora," I said, holding her hand in mine. "Of course. You never have to worry about that. Let me go grab some paper so I can write you my contact information in case you guys want to call each other," I said, standing up.

As I was getting the pen and paper out of my drawer, I could see her hand come up to her face to wipe her eyes. While it broke my heart, it comforted me to know that Clara has had someone in her corner these past few years.

"Thank you so much," Cora said, as I handed her the paper.

"Absolutely," I paused. "Cora, would you mind maybe telling me some more about Clara. You know her better than anyone. I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything you think I should know about her?"

She looked at me and smiled.

"Oh well, it takes a while to fully get to know Clara. I'm still working on it. But, if she's really sad, the best thing you can do is take her outside. Just sit with her. Be with her. She doubts herself a lot."

I gave a sad smile and nodded my head. I had already seen that part of her come out many times.

"I'm sure you're already catching on to that part," she smiled. "And the last thing I'll tell you- the only person she ever asks to be around when she's scared or sad is me. She won't even tell Joanna."

I gave her a confused look, not really understanding the last part.

"Joanna saw her call you the other night," she clarified. "Clara doesn't know that she didn't successfully sneak her phone," she laughed. "She didn't want to make her embarrassed. But I can tell she feels safe around you. I'm happy you get to be her mom."

I didn't say anything. I just pulled Cora into a tight hug. I pulled away after a moment to look at her.

"You'll see Clara all the time. I promise," I assured, wanting it to stick. I really didn't want her to worry more than I knew she already would.

"Alright," Joanna said, walking down the stairs with Clara. "You ready to go Cora?"

"Yea," Cora said standing up, smiling back at me.

As I watched the two girls say goodbye officially, I couldn't really believe this moment was actually happening. I know I say that a lot, but it was true. I've always wanted to be a mom, but a part of me began to really believe that I never would be. This was just one step closer. One big step.

"See you soon," I said to Joanna and Cora as the four of us walked to the door.

"Of course," Joanna replied. "Be good, Clara," she smiled. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too Joanna," Clara said, waving as we watched them walk to the car.

After I shut the door, I took hold of Clara's hand as we walked through the house.

"Thank you for the new decorations in my room," she smiled shyly. That was becoming my new favorite thing. "I love the squishmellow," she giggled.

"Amy picked that out for you," I laughed. "I'll make sure I tell her you like it."

*

After we got settled in with dinner, we both went upstairs to change into our pajamas.

"Hey Clara," I called. A few moments later I saw her standing outside my doorway. "You can come in," I smiled. "Look here," I said, walking over to my back window overlooking the beach. "I put your painting right by the beach."

I could see a blush rise on her cheeks as she smiled.

"So, you like it?" She asked shyly.

"Yes," I laughed. "So when I was out shopping yesterday, I picked out some special things for you. Do you want to go to your room and I can show them to you?" I asked.

She nodded, and led me to her room. I crouched down by the small desk that I had placed next to her dresser, and opened up the drawer to show her the art supplies.

She looked shocked.

Maybe this was all too much too fast. I might be overwhelming her.

"This way if you want some alone time or you want something to remind you of Cora, you can come up and do something you like."

She didn't respond, but came over and wrapped me into a hug. I heard her whisper a small "thank you."

"Of course sweet pea. So- what do you think- bedtime or movie?" I asked, thinking it might be best to draw her attention away from the gifts.

Immediately, her face lit up.

"Mulan," she said, heading towards the stairs.

She arrived at the top of the staircase and promptly sat down. She slid down a couple of stairs of her butt, and then turned to look back at me.

"Are you gonna slide?" she asked seriously.

"Is that the best way to go down?" I asked, trying to hide my laughter.

"Yea," she said simply.

"Alright then," I said, sitting down to slide down the stairs.

And I slid down those stairs and I loved every second cause I was doing it with Clara. I hopped up and got us a blanket from the basket and grabbed the remote. We both sat down, and I began flipping through Disney+ to find Mulan.

"Addison?" she asked quietly.

"Yea?"

"What happens if I have another bad dream?" she asked, looking down at her lap.

"Then you come and get me okay? You don't have to worry," I assured her, and she nodded.

As soon as the intro started to roll, she scooted up under the blanket with me and layed down with her head in my lap. I was almost astonished. As reserved as she was, she did open up from time to time in her own ways.

After a few minutes, I felt her body relax. I looked down, and sure enough her eyes were closed and she was off to sleep. It was definitely a big day.

I switched off the TV and gently scooped her up, trying my best not to disturb her. I slowly carried her up the stairs, and softly tucked her into her bed. She looked so peaceful.

I smiled softly and leaned down, gently placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Goodnight. I love you, sweet girl."

A/N: She's home! This chapter is just pure sweetness because we all need a little of that in our lives. I hope you all are well. 🥰

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

457K 31.2K 46
♮Idol au ♮"I don't think I can do it." "Of course you can, I believe in you. Don't worry, okay? I'll be right here backstage fo...
19.5K 739 44
The butterfly effect in chaos theory refers to an example in which the fluttering of the wings of a butterfly in one part of the world is seen to con...
1.3M 57.5K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
631K 32K 60
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...