The fall of our secrets

By abirrosa2

She was fire, he was ice. She raged and burned everything in her path when he stayed calm and collected. She... More

My first note
Prologue
Chapter1
Chapter2
Chapter3
Chapter4
Chapter5
Chapter6
Chapter 7
Chapter8
Chapter9
Chapter10
Chapter11
Chapter12
Chapter13
Chapter14
Chapter15
Chapter16
Chapter17
Chapter18
Chapter19
Chapter20
Chapter21
Chapter22
Chapter23
Chapter24
Chapter25
Chapter26
Chapter27
Chapter28
Chapter29
Chapter30
Chapter31
Chapter 33
Chapter34
Chapter35
Chapter36
Chapter37
Chapter38
Chapter39
Chapter40
Chapter41
Chapter42
Chapter43
Epilogue

Chapter 32

32 7 1
By abirrosa2

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

I apologise for not updating. Real life was crazy these last month. I will try to update again as soon as possible.

Here is the new chapter.

Enjoy!

Note: Don't forget, a year had passed for our characters. I is mentioned in the last chapter and just wanted to remind you before reading this one.

*************

Nina:
I wiped Aria's mouth and narrowed my eyes playfully. "This is the last time I would have an ice cream competition with you. You are a monster."

I tickled her belly for a few minutes and smiled in satisfaction as her musical laughter filled the air.

"I will miss you," Aria whispered as she snuggled closer to me on the couch.

"We will meet again before you know it."

"The last time you said that it took you a year to see me," Aria complained with a pout.

I didn't have a good argument to convince her otherwise. Working for Martin was largely different from working with Alberto.
The man was so stern and didn't give any space for compassion. He wanted work to be done up to his standards and without negotiations or the consequences would be dire.

"Things would get better, Aria. I know it is hard to believe me at this point, but I am doing my best." I spoke sincerely.

"Let me go back to New York and live with Lexie. I miss her as well." Aria widened her eyes and gave me one of the looks I could never resist.

"I am sorry, baby girl. Lexie is in danger, and we must protect her, remember?"

At her look of sadness, I winked at her and said. "You didn't tell me, do you fancy any boy at your school? I am sure there are a lot of handsome boys in Russia."

I noticed how Aria's cheeks warmed at my teasing, and she looked away.
I wiggled my eyebrows and said in what I hoped was a stern voice. "Oh, Miss Aria, who is that boy? And why didn't you mention him during our phone calls?"

"Come on Nina! Don't start. He is a new boy at my school, and I just like him. It is nothing important. Besides, he is older than me."

"Just make sure he knows your sister is an assassin and can kill him in his sleep."

The door's bell interrupted my speech, and I gave Aria a mock glare. "I am not done with you. I will be back."

My smile faded when I saw two of Martin's men standing at my door.

"What are you doing here?" I asked in a cold tone.

"Aria must leave with us this instant." One of them answered my question.

"What? I have a deal with Martin. She leaves tomorrow afternoon." I countered as I reached for my phone.

"Ms Castello, the boss said you will have visitors today, and you should be alone. We have orders to take your sister with or without your agreement."

I ignored the man's words and waited for Martin to answer his damn phone, but it went directly to voicemail. Three attempts later, I gave up and glared at the two goons.
What visitors were they speaking about? I am not expecting anyone today. But who knows? My schedule is out of place and can change at the whims of my bosses.

"Give me ten minutes." I didn't give them the chance to speak and slammed the door.

"What's wrong?" Aria asked as soon as she saw my face.

I sat next to her and ran my hands through her hair. "I am sorry, sweetheart, but you must leave now."

Aria jumped away from my touch and gave me a pitiful look. "What? Why?"

"I have some urgent business, and I must do it today. Unfortunately, you can't stay with me."

"It is always like this. I hate this life, Nina. I want our old life." Aria pleaded with me.

"Soon, baby. I promise you, we will live together and forever very soon."

Aria shook her head with a look of disappointment and headed to the room we shared for the last two days. I followed her and leaned against the door's frame.

Aria hastily packed her clothes and started dragging her suitcase.
I grabbed her arm as she attempted to bypass me. "Aren't you going to say goodbye?"

Aria just looked at me and didn't utter a word. "Come on, Aria. We might not see each other for a long time. I don't want us to part on bad terms."

"Fine, goodbye, Nina. Are you happy now?" Aria said in a challenging tone.

Before I could reprimand her for the attitude she just gave me, loud knocks sounded on the room's door.

"Your ten minutes are over." I heard one of the men say.

I closed my eyes and exhaled so I don't shoot him between the eyes. Once I was calm, I let go of Aria's arm.

"Goodbye, Aria. And remember, I love you more than anything else in the world."

Aria didn't react to my words and walked out the door. The men followed her, and l stood there watching my only sister leave.

Damn, it'll!! Damn, it!! My hands were tied, and I couldn't do a damn thing. I thought as I threw one of the vases to the ground.

The sound of glass chattering didn't buy me any peace as the sound of my heart breaking was louder than anything else.

**************
I didn't know how many hours I sat on the sofa thinking about everything and nothing. Knocking on the door brought me out of my daze.

Jacob Black was standing on my doorstep. I shook his extended hand and invited him inside.

He ran his eyes around the room observing every little detail before he sat on the couch.

"Do you want a drink?" I offered.

"No, I am fine. I see you had a rough morning." Jacob remarked as he eyed the shattered glass on the floor.

"Yes, it was a rough morning," I confirmed.

"And why is that?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Are you here to interrogate me?" I raised my eyebrow.

Jacob chuckled and shook his head. "Damian wants you in New York."

"What? I have unfinished business here."

The men's words from earlier came back, and I hardly hid a snort. Bloody Martin knew Jacob would come to see me. The bloody man knew everything. So Jacob Black was the unexpected visitor that ruined my time with Aria.

"It is my order to drive you to the airport. Go and pack." I didn't know what was it with the Salviatti men and the men who worked for them and orders.

"Don't I have the right to know why I should leave everything behind and follow these orders?"

"Ms Castello, you worked with Damian for a year. I think you know him very well by now."

Without saying another word, I went to my room. My life was full of bullshit, and I was at the end of my rope.

I had spent the last year working my ass off for Martin and Damian at the same time which was not an easy feat.

Looking back, I just wasted my time stretching myself thin between the two. At least, with Damian, I knew where I stood and what was needed from me.

Martin was a bastard who showed dissatisfaction with everything I did. He always gave new orders and higher expectations. He was thirsty for power and didn't know when to stop.

Like Aria moments ago, I exited the room with my suitcases behind me.
I paused when I saw Jacob running his hands through Aria's teddy bear. I cringed internally at my mishap. How could I forget it Lying so carelessly on the couch and in plain sight of anyone visiting?

"I didn't know you fancy plushies," Jacob commented nonchalantly.

"We all have secrets, don't we?" I asked in the same voice he used.

I walked to his side and took the pink bear from his hands. "Thank you for reminding me to take it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to sleep."

I could see both amusement and suspicion on Jacob's face, but to his credit, he didn't say a word and walked ahead of me.

As it was customary in the Salviatti family, we travelled in a private jet. Jacob was a man of few words, so we didn't speak at all.

I chose to spend my time on the jet to relax and prepare myself for what was surely a new challenge.

Once we landed in New York, Jacob bid me goodbye after helping me load my baggage in the waiting car.

The drive was a long one, and by the time we arrived at our destination, it was midnight.

I frowned as I exited the car to find myself standing in front of a large building that was situated nowhere near civilisation.

Waiting there was Damian Saviatti in all his sharpness and glory. He gave me a nod and ushered me inside.

"Did you have a peaceful flight?" Damian asked in his usual cold voice even though I knew he cared about me to some degree.

"Yes, as peaceful as possible because I was not prepared for it." I made sure to make my displeasure known.

Damian chuckled and didn't say anything until he opened the door to an office. "Have a seat."

I took one of the sofas and waited for Damian to take his spot behind his desk.
"Everything was decided in a haste. That's why you came here that way." Damian explained, and for the first time, I saw the dark circles under the man's eyes.

"What happened?"

"Don't you want to know why you are here?" Damian asked with a smirk.

"Not before I know why you look like death."

"The last few days were rough on me," Damian answered, and I knew it was the extent of what I would learn from him.

"So, why am I here?"

"It was the Don's orders. He wants you to be in the camp he is holding this year."

"A camp?" I asked, wanting him to elaborate more on the subject.

"Here are the details. Read them." Damian handed me a stack of papers, and I stood up to take them.

"Read them here," Damian ordered.

I knew Damian wasn't in the mood for arguments. Therefore, I took back my seat and skimmed through the words. By the time I reached the last page, I raised an eyebrow.

"Damian? You stopped my job in Paris and ordered me to come all the way to New York so I become an instructor at a teenager's camp."

"It is important to us. We want you because you have experience our kids can benefit from."

"Don't flatter me, Damian. I will agree to this, but don't expect me to stay for long."

"Alright, we will have you as long as we can. I know the mission in Paris is so sensitive and can't be delayed." Damian said, and we shook hands on our deal.

Damian walked me to a room on the third floor of the building. Saying goodnight to him, I entered the room and threw myself on the bed.

I was a damn professional assassin, but here I was turned into an instructor. What my life was coming to? I closed my eyes and in no time, sleep consumed me.

The next morning came too fast for my liking, I wore my workout outfit and exited the room where I found Damian already waiting for me.

"Morning," he greeted.

"Morning, from what I read yesterday, it is breakfast first, and then we will start training. My lesson will be the last."

"You got it right." Damian and I walked down a long corridor. "The kids didn't train for the last three days. Today, we must go easy on them a bit."

"Easy? On your terms?" I arched an amused eyebrow his way.

"I am not that horrible," Damian smirked, and I smiled at him. One year ago, I thought working for him would be hell, but he proved me wrong.
Truth be told, he was a very strict man who doesn't give you room for mistakes. But at the same time, he was fair and reasonable.
We entered the Cafeteria which was divided into two sides.

Before I could observe the area properly, two arms latched at me, and I nearly lost my balance.

I looked down and smiled when my eyes met Alyla's. I hugged her back and then we broke apart. Ayla was one of the rare people who clicked with me on our first meeting.

We met each other at a ball where I was bored out of my mind, and she took it upon herself to entertain me. Since then, we became friends, and I made sure to stay in contact with her.

"How are you?"

"I am doing well. Come and sit next to me."
I sat next to Ayla with Jasper on her other side. As usual, he gave me one of his blank looks.

"You are still married to him?" I made sure my question was spoken loudly so all the present at the table would hear.

Edward and Jackson chuckled while Damian just shook his head.
Jasper swallowed and looked at me. He waved his fork in my direction and said in low voice.

"My patience is at its end already. Dealing with those teenagers is a nightmare. Don't tempt me to make you a target to deflate my anger."

"Don't work him up, Nina." Ayla jabbed me in the ribs. I didn't add any comments and took a sip from my orange juice.

I was the first to finish eating, and I excused myself from the table. I decided to take a walk around before training sessions.

The scenery was so nice I didn't even realise in what direction I was going. I was eyeing a small pond that took my breath away when I felt myself collide with something hard or rather with someone as strong arms caught me around the waist.

I looked up and froze, green intense eyes met mine, and I swallowed. Here he was looking at me with his impassive stare.

How did I forget about Ethan? How the hell didn't I realise he would be here with his family? Of course, he would be here. I only ignored this fact thinking that his disagreement with his brother would keep him away.

"Hello, Nina." He greeted in his smooth low voice.

"Hello," I squeaked and then cleared my damn dry throat.

"I see they called for reinforcement," Ethan stated.

"Yes, they needed someone to scare the kids, and who is better at it than me?" I was not going to allow his presence to get the best of me.

"Of course, they would call you. After all, you wanted to try new things. Here is an opportunity, enjoy." Ethan said very calmly.

His words were a slap to my face, and as if only realising in what position we were, I stepped away from his hold, letting his arms drop to his sides.

"I wish you luck in your endeavour." Ethan nodded his head and walked away leaving me standing alone.

It took me a few minutes to regain my stability, and then I walked back to where the instructors had already gathered.

I stood next to Damian and glared at him. "You didn't tell me Ethan would be here."

"I didn't know my son's presence would cause you problems." Damian laughed at what I said before. I took a deep breath to calm my irate temper so I can give him a proper reply.

"Of course, you didn't know," I ended up giving him a sarcastic reply that earned me a heated glare.

A high-pitched voice preceded the body of Lillian who came to me in full force. I braced myself for the impact. I wrapped my arms around her and reciprocated her tight hug. She gave me a wide smile, and I couldn't help but return the favour.

"I missed you so much," it always amazed me how a mafia Princess could be so open with her feelings. Lillian Salviatti wore her heart on her sleeves.

"I brought you new brand shoes from Paris. They are exclusive and haven't been announced to the public yet."

Lillian squealed and started jumping in delight. "You are the best, girl."

Damian cleared his throat and gave us a pointed look. "I apologise for interrupting your chatting, ladies. But it is time we start today's program."

Lillian was quick to nod her head and go back to the other teenagers after giving my hand a final squeeze.

Until now, I couldn't wrap my head around why she chose to be among the students and not one of the instructors.
I mean she was in her league when it came to skills and experience. She didn't need any more training. As always, this family managed to stun me with their acts.

************
By the time we finished the day, I came to two conclusions. Working with teenagers was a nightmare even though I managed to instil the fear of god in them. The second conclusion was that Ethan would not make anything easy for me. He was angry and made it known.

With a glass of hot tea, I sat outside the dormitory. Taking small sips from the beverage helped me relax a bit.

I felt his presence before he even came to sit next to me. I decided to just ignore him so he would understand his company wasn't appreciated.

But of course, Ethan Salviatti didn't take the hint and just sat there making the air between us tense with every minute that passed.

"So, did you enjoy your first day here?" Ethan was the first to break the silence.

"To be honest, I don't understand why you are even bothering with this. All the kids here are capable of doing anything except that girl, Anna. She nearly vomited in my class. I think she fears me to an unbelievable degree."

Ethan laughed and shook his head. "You are correct. Being here is a waste of time. I am sure it is not comparable to being all over the world from Brussels, Rabat, Madrid, Greece, Rome, Copenhagen and finally to Paris."

I stiffened in my place as I listened to Ethan listing every city I visited this past year. "I didn't know your father shared his employers' information with you."

Ethan chuckled and looked at me with amusement evident on his face. "You underestimate me, baby. I have my sources, I don't depend on my Dad to get what I want."

"You were stalking me?" It came out as a question, but I was grateful my tone didn't show the panic I was feeling inside.

"I don't call it stalking. Let's say I was just  watching over what is mine."

Mine? What the hell was wrong with him?

"Are you drunk?" I asked before my brain had the chance to filter my words.

"Last time I checked, no, I am not." Ethan's smirk irritated me to no end, and my hands itched to slap it off.

"So why are you saying things no man in his right mind would say."

"Well, I am telling the truth. Just because you left to explore new things." Ethan said the words as if they burned his tongue. "It doesn't mean anything to me. I like you, and you are mine. Maybe I wasn't clear before, but here I am saying it out loud."

Before meeting Ethan, I was never the kind of woman who gets speechless. I always had the appropriate comebacks to any situation or declaration. But things changed, and I was speechless in the face of Ethan's confession.

Part of me was dancing in happiness at his words because honest to god, I liked him as well. But the biggest part, the rational part knew it was dangerous and more importantly pointless.

"You know I won't change my mind. I am not coming back anytime soon, Ethan." I said the truth.

"I know you have work to do, and I won't interfere. Do it, and when you are done, I will be waiting for you." Ethan shrugged while keeping eye contact with me.

"Are you sure you will wait? My plans are long term and I won't change them for anything." I was doing my best to persuade him to let this nonsense go. "Besides, your father has a lot of projects prepared for me to execute."

"It is not my father's projects that keep you away. You have other things occupying you, my dear girl." Ethan continued speaking in the same low calm voice.

It was so hard to maintain my stoic façade at his words. "Pray to tell, what are those other projects I have? I am only busy with your family business."

"You are lying, Nina." Ethan pointed out as if he was stating facts.

"Ethan, you are crossing a limit here," I warned.

"No, I am only saying the truth."

"Believe whatever you want. I am out of here." I said and stood up from my seat only to be pulled down by Ethan.

I landed on his lap, and our faces were so close I could feel his hot breath on my cheeks.

"Truth will be revealed in time, Nina. Don't worry. I won't hold anything against you. We all have reasons to do things, don't we?"

"Let me up. I am not listening to this bullshit any more." I struggled against his hold, but the bastard was stronger than me.

"As I said I won't hold anything against you." Ethan's green eyes hardened, and he fixed me with a glare. "As long as my family is not hurt. Because if anything happens to them, I will become another person you don't want to meet. Am I clear?"

Ethan didn't loosen his hold until I gave him a small nod. His hard eyes softened again, and he gave me a grin.

Before I could comprehend his mood swings, he leaned over and kissed me, hard. It was the first time since we met he applied this aggressivity to his kisses.

To my absolute horror, I found myself responding to his advances, and I returned the kiss with fever. We didn't break apart until we needed some air.

The cold air brought me back to reality, and I said in a whisper. "Let me up."

Ethan complied and untangled his arms from around my body. I jumped from his lap and hurried away but not before hearing his last sentence. "You are mine."

I sprinted back to my room and leaned against the door. My heartbeats were going one hundred a second while my breathing was erratic.

He knows about everything. He knows you are a traitor and was just watching you squirm like prey against her hunter. Oh my god! We are so screwed.

I ignored my ever-helping inner self and dead-walked to my bed. The end was nearing, and I must be prepared for the outcome of my actions.

Even though Ethan made it clear he would never forgive betrayal, I saw softness and tenderness in the depth of his eyes.

I dare say his feelings or love or whatever towards me would save me or doom me in the end.

The road I took was full of dangers and thrones, and I walked it knowing very well the risques awaiting me.

I wasn't a woman who would stop in the middle. I would walk the whole fucking road, hoping at the end of it I would find resolution and a bit of happiness.

*************
How did you find it?

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share.

Until next time 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

576 128 21
Asher D'Angelo. A cold heart breaker but a sweet loving person from the inside once you get to know him. Asher is struggling with school so he asks...
15.3K 477 39
Nova was only 2 years old when she was kidnapped from her family. She has 5 older brothers and her biological parents are dead. What happens when her...
101K 2.1K 18
Luciana was taken by her mother hoping for a simpler life.Leaving behind her other children including Luciana's twin ,Adriana.However what happens wh...
1.4M 35K 29
"P-please. I'll be good. Please don't hurt me." I begged him, wrapping my arms around myself, as though that would keep me from completely falling ap...