Escape [Fruits Basket OC]

By par13ker

Hatori paused for a second finding his choice of words. "I understand you and Akito are still at odds..... do... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
The Beginning
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Your Highness
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
He's Different
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
The God is Here
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
You Saved Me
Who?
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
The Original Story
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 52
Chapter 53

Epilogue

1.3K 26 14
By par13ker

A/n: I realized I've watched too many crime shows to know what happens in court.

⚠️I also made up the case with Mock Trial principles⚠️

And long chapter
___________________________

"So-.", Kieran was looking down at Audrina as she was tying his tie.

"I told you", she finished it off turning to the grand mirror in front of them. She was in a two piece dark blue blazer, hair pushed back in a low slick back. It was early in the morning, they both had a court hearing, but the circumstances were different than what they're were used to as since Kieran moved in. "This is the last trail for this case. Ok? Once this is over we can go back to normal but,I'm serious about what I said."

"I thought about this circumstance differently..", he came up behind her, grabbing her waist. He leaned but missed as she moved out of the way.

"I've had several journalists question me about our relationship interfering with the defenses.", she started a kettle on the stove. The sun hadn't risen yet. The only person within the house still sleeping was Momoji for he didn't have to get to school till a few hours later. They were talking in a low whisper to avoid waking him though he was upstairs. A force of habit. "If you look at me for more than two seconds they take it a secret code of us sharing details."

"But Ive been meaning to ask you-."

Audrina softly smiled, leaning back against the counter. "Ok, on a scale of one to ten how important is it?"

Kieran pulled in his lips. As if a sudden anxious wave washed over him. "Ten."

Audrina's demeanor changed. She had thought his question was mere. Hearing that he considered it that important, her smile faded. Releasing a sigh, she shook her head, "I'm sorry.", she looked at the clock, she had a few minutes before she had to leave. "Ask me now."

Kieran's eyes widened, those hazel eyes searching her own. He opened his mouth just to close it back. There was a few seconds of that when Audrina started to find it strange. She tilted her head and squinted her eyes.

"It's not that simple", he finally said turning to the stove, as the kettle was starting to steam. Whilst pouring her cup of tea, he shook his head. His voice was low, which Audrina also took as odd, "Forget it."

"Nooo", she dragged and wedged herself between him and the counter. Forcing him to look down at her. His locs were pulled back into a bun, preventing them from curtaining his face. A featured that she loved more she'd like to admit, and his smooths skin was showcased by the dim stove light. She gave in giving him a quick kiss, followed by an apologetic smile. "Really I'm sorry. I thought we were on the same page with keeping things as close to professional as possible."

He played it off with a small smile, she knew was fake. Quickly she grabbed his wrist to prevent him from walking away, "You don't have to leave for another hour right? I can call my client and meet with them later."

He glanced to the clock on the oven. "No you have to go. I'll ask after today."

His wrist slipped from her hand. She watched him walk back up the stairs without even looking back to her. And while she was close to walking up after him, he was right. The clock was right on the dot. She had to go.

  Making a decision to leave. Audrina assumed that once the day is over, she would make it up to him. The multiple trials have been running for over a couple of months; leading up to this final day.

Their relationship although, holding the underlying heart, had to be pushed aside after finding out they were working for opposite sides of the same court case.

Audrina felt terrible having to end the conversation the way they did, but she only hoped that once it was over, they'd truly be able to return to there normal relationship.

When Kieran heard the alarm signal the door closed, he dragged a hand down his face. He opened his brief case.

Just to make sure the small black box was still there.

____________________________

In the court setting. Audrina on one side, talking with her client, Kieran on the opposing side with his. This had to be one of the most complex cases she took on. Of course that drew media attention and with media attention arises questions.

The main reason her and Kieran took different cars is because once they arrived, they couldn't so much as be in the same vicinity without suspicion. Or another headline for articles to point out their 'odd closeness'. It was exhausting and she was ready for it to be over. Obvious the goal was to make a persuasive case, but be able to leave.

There was an immense load of people within the court room.

The judge after the bailiff introduced the case, the judge looked over to the prosecution's side.

"Is the prosecution ready?"

Audrina didn't look over, just continued jotting down last minute notes when's she heard Kieran's voice.

"Yes, your honor."

She followed the same script. Then when everyone was seated, it was turn for Kieran to introduce the case. Before ensuring to hear everything he said, her client leaned back to whisper in her ear.

"Find anything to win?"

With a stern stare she was ready to let silence speak for itself, but she didn't want to give away the wrong idea. "Let me worry about that."

Once Audrina settled, she watched curiously as Kieran presented the case to the jury. Making sure that whatever comes out of his mouth will have to be countered by her. One thing she grew to hate when defending criminals.

She's always second to present.

"Good morning, my name is Kieran Wright, and today I will be representing 17-year-old Austin Moore as their prosecutor in this unique case that may come of as a shock to the jury. This is a clear case of kidnapping. The defendant in question, Patrick Smith not only robbed my client of their childhood, but deprived them of basic needs such as education. On the morning of January 7th 2003, Austin was taken from the arms of his mother with no proper cause or legal documentation that allows so, and brought him here in the D.C area, for where he lived his life. Patrick made sure to keep his name out of any record when a missing child report was broadcasted across the U.S. No homeschooling, no outside activities. He wasn't even allowed to leave the house for more than 5 minutes, as the evidence shows.", he turned his focus to Audrina and Patrick beside her. Doing his best to avoid eye contact, but she was impossible not to sore a glance to. Catching his hazel eyes for one second, he quickly turned back around.

Audrina knew her presence in the court room, had to be above par. Especially representing those who committed crimes. They'd look at her different. Question her morals as to why she would ever defend someone on the opposing side, even when all evidence points to him.

Her stare was hard. Something he's truly never been accustomed to. So when he saw it, he knew this trial wouldn't be as one sided as he hoped. Even if the case seemed clear enough. "Only when my client had soccumb emotional abuse for 16 years, he had enough ran away and was rescued by the local police department. By the end of this trial, i am sure you'd find the defendant guilty of kidnapping and child neglect in the 1st degree."

As Kieran sat down, it was eyes on Audrina. After the description of the crime she was in for looks and deceitful ones at best. She stood, stern in her voice and adjusted her suit. Facing the jury who was giving her expected bored gazes, she didn't pace as Kieran did, instead faced them straight on; letting her hands be her second guide.

"Counsel, Your Honor", she tilted back to look at the judge. This case is not as set and stone as the prosecuting attorney has tried to make you believe. My name is Audrina Sohma, defendant of Patrick Smith and if we dig further, this is a charge of a father wanting to protect their child from an abusive household. What the prosecutor failed to mention is the history in which Patrick desperately wanted to take his child away from. On the day of January 7th 2003, Patrick didn't kidnap his child, instead he did what he felt right in the spare of the moment to prevent his child suffering the same fate. Evidence shows that he was in an emotionally and physically abusive relationship, and by keeping him under the security of his own home, he prevented his son from being hunted down by his mother who posed a threat to both. I will prove so by the end of this trial, and ask you the jury to return a verdict of not guilty."

Once the introductions on each end were over,!it was Kieran's turn to bring up his first witness. And thought out the rounds of questions to draw towards his clients favor. There were some instances that Audrina picked up on some of his underlying sly points.

"And Mrs. Moore does Austin have any siblings?"

"Objection", Audrina didn't even lift her head. Writing new information down, she finally gazed up in annoyance. "Relevance? Austin is the only child that is biological to the defendant."

Kieran didn't look back. All the attention was on the judge. Who rose a questioned hand to Kieran.  "Sustained, Wright ask another question."

"Who do you stay with at this moment?", Kieran altered the question.

  Smith'a ex wife was on the stand, and she quickly glanced to Audrina. Only for a split second that she was thankful to catch.

"I live with my current husband and my two children. Carlos and Noah. Carlos is 18 and Noah and 12."

  Audrina kept it internally, but that was the very answer she was hoping she wouldn't get the chance to answer. That's why she cut him off at the opportunity.

"And, Carlos is he in this courtroom right now"

Everyone knew he was. But she had to answer,

"Yes he is."

Once Kieran sat back down the judge looked over to Audrina who had already written down her preparations.

"The defense may cross-examine the witness."

Audrina was only a new face to many people who keep up with court cases. That as well as Kieran, but the difference in positions, is one is able to protect the innocent. The one the majority is in favor for. She has to prove herself convincing enough to change public opinion.

So she started off strong.

"Mrs. Moore, you previously said that you are married correct?"

"Yes", she said.

"And this is your 2nd marriage following your one with Mr. Smith."

And as the jury expected her to agree with Audrina's question she fell quiet scanning the court room. Before it was a large gap of silence. The judge was about to push forward her answer she had to say but she was on it.

"No", her voice low.

"And what count of marriage is this?"

"Objection.", Kieran's voice came from behind her, "Leading. There is no obligation to detail personal information pass the time of the victims absence from the household."

"Sustained, right to the point Ms. Sohma.", the judge stated. Leaving Audrina no choice than to nod her head in respect.

"Is Mr. Smith's retraining order the only one you've been bind to under the Districts court?"

Again a second of silence, had her shift in her seat. Audrina knew she had the case, it was making sure the man she return home to wouldn't get in her way.

"No", the witness said.

After the few witnesses brought up, the sides were definelty more balanced than before. Audrina was quick to cut off the slightest phrase in Kieran's questions and Audrina followed up with just as much force.

They knew each other, but under the laws of the land, they were seeing sides that were foreign to them even back in Japan. Sometimes they would catch each other's eyes. Holding them for way longer than they should. The spark in his eyes went noticed completely by her.

By the end of the trip, having started at 8, it was almost 5 p.m. No one expected the dropping of evidence from either party, so it stretched to accommodate the new information.

It was finally time for the juries verdict. Audrina depsite having a cool exterior was questioning and repeating the trial in her head. Trying hard not to regret some of her desicions she made throughout the stretch of time.

And out of habit, when her nerves were riled up, she had one person that was always there for her.  When she subtly liked over to Kieran, she saw something that she hadn't noticed before. Though he kept his emotions under control in a court setting, she found he had his own method to calm his adrenaline.

And her heart was beating for more reason that one when she saw the necklace she gave him with the angel charm, was securely in his palms. As he clutched on to it.

"We the jury, in the case of the Washington D.C vs. Smith case find the defendant.....", there was a n odd tension in the court room but it didn't last for long.

"Guilty of the charge of child neglect"

Audrina knew that was one obstacle she had a small chance at winning, she was waiting for the next.

"And non-guilty of the charge of 1st degree kidnapping."
______________________________

  When Audrina returned home, she was already looking for Kieran who's car was in the driveway. Finally finding him in the kitchen back faced to her, she softly smiled and found a way to wedge herself again between the counter and him.

"Hey"

"Hi", he said giving a returning smile. "Congr-."

He was blocked any further when she placed a hand over his mouth, "It's over. No court talk because we are going to relax, I'll fix you dinner and you can ask me your question."

"I was ready to just get in bed honestly.", his eyes were slightly droopy, the entirety of the day weighed down both of them.

"Need company?", she spoke low for his distraction, tugging on his tie.

Kieran smirked and leaned down to press his lips against hers, "Please?" His voice, just as low. The sudden deep implore had a chill course through her body. 

  Not waiting another second, Audrina intertwined her hands within his and pulled lightly. Directing him up the stairs.

   After her well played (and long) distraction, Kieran watched her lovingly as she approached came from the bathroom. She tucked under the sheets till he had wrapped his arms around her.

"I love you.", Kieran whispered into her hair. Soon as she was too tired to think of anything. The court case ran for majority of the day. Then having to stay after to deal with talking about the logistics with her client. Her eyes were fluttering shut, but she did have the strength to return his affection.

"I love you too", she whispered and drifted off to sleep.

Audrina slept throughout the entire night. And woke up to no one beside her.  She barely processed what time it was as she mindlessly got out of bed.

The daylight streamed through the shut curtains that she strolled past walking out of the room.

That was before putting on a throw over shirt and shorts.

"Kieran?", she called as she walked down the stairs. The aroma of breakfast grew thicker the closer she got to the 1st floor. When her foot was placed on the final step, she turned her head to the noise of a cabinet shutting.

Across the living room, Kieran was shirtless in the kitchen and when he faced where Audrina was  waking up to him, he cracked a smile. "Good morning."

"Morning", she crossed her arms over herself. He saw the gesture and chuckled as he approached to stand in front of her.

"Cold?", he rubbed up the side of her arms. Creating warmth in that area.

"Hungry", she said in placement. To which the man in front of her smiled and nodded. "Figured after you didn't wake up for dinner.", he planted a kiss  on her forehead.

She pulled her lips in and walked around to the sizzling pan. "So about that question.", she spoke in the middle of chewing on a piece of bacon. Kieran huffed smiling at her persistence. "For something that ranks a 10 out 10 importance, you sure are holding back on me."

"You're right", he rose his hands, "I'll be honest with you, I forgot."

She squinted her eyes.

  "You know", he smirked, "Seeing you all serious and defense attorney like, was distractingly attractive. I damn near forgot what the case was about."

  Audrina peered at him, holding her impatience in her gaze. Even if she knew he was trying to distract her from the topic, he was still trying to continue on. But she felt bad. Underneath, she wished she could go back and change the way she handled the situation, especially after replaying the conversation in her head, it was killing her.

Something that small proved how their relationship despite the initial back and forth, this was only a handful of the bumps they faced. This one being mostly one sided, Kieran watched as she wasn't ready to give up.

"Ok", he dropped his hands walking up till both of them were on her waist. "What's this really about?"

Audrina sighed crossing her arms, "You'd usually ask me or tell me when something is wrong."

"Nothing's wrong", his chuckle combined with that of surprise. That was before he once again placed a reassuring kiss on her lips. "I was waiting till after we eat to tell you this, but I was hoping to finally get out of the house."

"Is that your question?", she rose an eyebrow. Kieran blinked at her a couple of times before a groan escaped his lips.

"Baby trust me.", he reached over to grab him a piece of bacon. "You'll know when I ask."
______________________________

"Are you looking for something", she tugged at his arm. "If you tell me, I can help."

  It was just about sun set. And as promised Kieran took her out. They didn't have a set plan, and having down with the trial, they didn't feel compelled to keep their distance. And by the given time, Kieran had his hand intertwined with hers, walking along a boardwalk. She only asked for he seemed to frantically be looking around.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "No."

She hummed and stepped up, slightly lifting herself to reach him, Audrina smiled and pressed a light kiss on his lips, "Hello?"

As the day grew close to an end. The sun looked ready to kiss the horizon. Oddly, their was a shift in his mood from the morning. He's been nervous but, never this agitated before.

"I just ummm", he blew out a breath, "I don't know. I stumbled across this place when taking a back route and...... I reminds be of a specific spot back in Japan."

Audrina nodded ensuring to him that she was following along.

  With another exhale, he stopped in his tracks, Audrina doing the same. She faced the direction he was and found a large tree, situated in the back portion. In view of the orange, red, and yellow coloration of the mist cloud filled sky. And great distance away from anyone else who were enjoying the more modern statues scattered throughout the boardwalk/ part.

"And I didn't recognize it obviously, but their was something familiar about it. It only clicked till last night, in my dream  that this is practically a replica of the area my dad used to take me.  He'd pull me aside away from all my sisters to spend time with me."

Audrina started to rub the back of his hand. Silent as he continued, she then surveyed the place one more time finding the true meaning to this field.

  "And last night in that same dream, we talked. About the same thing....about whats been on my mind for a while. Felt like it be appropriate to say it while we have the down time." He then looked back finding her eyes. Maybe dancing in the setting sun to which he couldn't help but smile.

Audrina just blinked. Her heart picked up just a bit, she wasn't sure what this was for. But with the small thought in the back of her head, she was already growing scared. She's been nagging him for a question, but this felt more than just that.

"I told you that you were the one person I've been looking for. Since I had the "girl talk", with him, I've realized that it's always you that I hoped luck would send my way.", which earned a nervous chuckle from her, "Even being half way across the country, I knew that I couldn't go on without you by myside. I tried to make up an excuse for the phone calls, but 90% of the time I just wanted to hear your voice. And to be able to have that everyday, in person, its as if I'm still dreaming. And you know I love you."

"I love you too.", she sighed out. Numb as he leaned down and held on to the kiss longer than the one she previously gave. Audrina was holding back her tears. This was what she'd dream of. So far out of reach it truly was nothing more than that.

Love where she didn't worry about anything. This was her life now, wholly and completely. She hadn't realized that during the kiss, he let go of her hands.

But when she opened them, Kieran was already doing what she feared. Her heart was now pounding, like it was ready to explode.

"Lastly, in the dream. I asked you one final question." Audrina placed one hand over her mouth finding herself not functioning properly. Before her, Kieran was on one knee. Black box opened on its hinge. A ring. With one hand holding the box, Kieran reached out and soflty grabbed the other hand with his own.

"I want much more. Call me selfish but, I don't think I could go on without knowing that I was yours and you were mine.....Audrina Sohma, will you marry me?"

She was speechless.

Her hesitation was purely fear. She wanted to say yes. Listen to every nerve in her brain sending signals for her to say one simple word. One tear slipped passed her barrier, as she stared at the ring. Questioning how real this was. What she also knew that there was a time crunch. A fine line between the question and her answer where she had a split second to ponder.

What she didn't imagine was that he'd ever ask her. Audrina still had so much of past brought with her that she felt hopeless from ever truly separating herself. But by the time those were running through her head, her split second was up, and she had her final answer.

She nodded her head. Still finding herself speechless. Kieran smirked and raised his eyebrows. "Use your words."

She chuckled wiping her tears away, "Yes."

He slipped the ring on that gleamed at the organs  of the perfect sunset. It was cool against her fingers and when he stood, taking her lips with his, she felt like putty  in his grasp.

"That was my question.", he smiled between them. And she couldn't help but laugh.

"Audri!!"

Momoji's voice came from behind a tree. She whipped her head to the yellow-headed boy as he approached with a camera in his hand.

Still wiping away the remainder of tears, Kieran wrapped his arms around her, "And yes he was in on it. But you don't have a bad side so no worries."

She laughed in his grasp again, feeling the second hug come from the boy.

"Congratulations!", she heard Momoji say. And that oddly enough was the only cue that had her emotions get to her further tuck into her fiancé.
______________________

When they returned, somehow the new spread across the country and they were getting calls led and right. But one in particular she knew would stick with her forever.

"Momma look at this", the picture of the ring was passed to her on the other end of the phone. Kieran's sisters were all riled together. And she was talking to them. It was late at night, and Kieran was ready to sleep. He was staring at the phone like he was ready to throw it as the commotion in the other end of the phone was more lively than ever. Audrina chuckled and pushed him to lay flat on the bed so she could finish talking to them.

"You think he didn't show me before asking her", Audrina heard his mother say on the other end
"You ready?" The question was targeted to her this time.

She smiled at the man behind her before looking down at the mobile device, "I am."

  "Well....", she could tell there was a reciprocated smile on the other end, "Welcome to the family sweetheart."

Yea she couldn't help the odd sense of ease that consumed her at that simple phrase. The single tear at those words. Because even after all this time. Through all she's face and lived through. From meeting him, to this moment. That's all she ever wanted. Not an escape, but to be able to wake up everyday knowing that this was her life.

Her dream finally became a reality.

_________________________________

A/n:

Didn't expect to get to the end of this story when I first started it. But I'm glad I did.

And I'm also happy y'all enjoyed it. Thank you for reading, commenting, voting etc....

If you don't know, I do have other stories for Armin, Reiner, and Aizawa (Thinking about doing others but baby steps :)

But again thank y'all so much for reading and I hope you have a great day/ night.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 179 17
(Fruits Basket Fanfiction)After Tohru tries to convince Akito to break the curse. She falls off a cliff and also loses all of her memories. This incl...
33.8K 1.4K 52
||COMPLETED|| The Sohma's are a very mysterious family. They live under the zodiac curse and only Tohru Honda knows about their secret. She currently...
75.1K 2K 52
Ami was a part of the Sohma family because of her mother but her mother never liked her family and left home. Ami's mother always told her the story...
79.2K 2.1K 35
One night, you decided that you wanted to run away. You snuck into the kitchen and stuffed a banana, some bread, and a few apples into your backpack...