Even More Protective Colby

JaiMcc द्वारा

Part 3-You know the drill ;) अधिक

Alone
My Little Cheerleader
Something To Protect
Always
The Deal
What Really Happened
Did What I Had To
Nothing Without You
Protect Your Heart
Sam and Colby vs. The World
A/N
Choose Yourself
A/N Please Read!!!
Lost Love
As Long As I'm Around
One True Friend
The Empath
Until The End
Until We Meet Again
Until We Meet Again (Alternate Ending)
A Price Paid
Forever Grateful
The Promise
Don't Leave Me
I'll Always Come Back
The Power Of Love
Let Me Love You
Crazy In Love
Annoucement!
Part 1: No Matter What
Part 2: No Good Deed
Part 3: Everything I Have
MINE
Not This Time
Never Over
Carry On
Brotherly Bond
Riled Up
Stay Close
Best Part Of Me
Onward and Upward
The Beginning Of The End
Whatever It Takes
The Answer
You Don't Know Crazy
Paranoid?
For Love
The Countdown
The Choice
The Consequences
Lingering
Loud And Clear
Under Pressure
Face Your Phobia
At All Costs

Unbreakable

539 15 5
JaiMcc द्वारा

Part 2 of my short story Did What I Had To. Enjoy! -JM :)

Date: October 10th, 2033.

10 years. After 10 years, Colby was finally free, sort of. He was out on parole for good behavior. Colby felt like he had woken up to a post-apocalyptic world. He knew getting back to normal life would be an adjustment. The guards led him out of the prison, he had nothing on but a hoodie, some sweatpants and shoes. He walked up to the car that was waiting for him. Big J was leaning against the car. He smiled at Colby and gave him a big hug.

" Look at you," said Big J. "Not so little anymore are you, little man."

Big J was right. Colby was 35 now. It never occurred to him how different he must look.

"Thank you for coming," said Colby.

" Anytime," said Big J. " You don't know the strings I had to pull to be able to be your parole officer. Anyway, we should go."

The car ride back to Big J's LA safehouse was a quiet one. Big J glanced over to the brunette, whose hair had grown super long in his time in prison.

" I think we need to get you a haircut," said Big J.

" That's probably a good idea," said Colby.

" Look man," started Big J. " I know it's been a while. But I want you to know, I never stopped believing you were innocent. You wanna tell me what really happened 10 years ago? I might be able to work some magic if you can just tell me the truth."

" There's nothing else to tell," said Colby. " I killed him, that's it."

" Nah, I know you, you didn't kill him," said Big J. " Not willingly anyway."

Colby gulped and fell silent as Big J kept glancing over him. Big J pulled over, stopping the car and looking at Colby.

" You can trust me," said Big J. " Please. Whoever was harassing you, they're long gone, they won't hurt you. I got you."

Tears began to stream down Colby's face as he recounted the story to Big J. He remembered it like it was yesterday. The pain he felt when he saw the look of hatred and betrayal in Sam's eyes. That image had been pierced into his brain for the 10 years he had been incarcerated.

"That was the last time I ever heard from the person," explained Colby. " After I was convicted, the letters and everything stopped. Haven't heard from them since."

" Damn," said Big J.

" I know it's a lot," said Colby.

" I'm guessing you never told Sam the truth," said Big J.

" I couldn't," said Colby. " And I haven't seen him since the day we cut ties. I just hope he's okay."

" He's better than okay," said Big J.

Colby looked at Big J curiously. " You spoke to him?" asked Colby.

" We've been talking a lot since he joined the police force," said Big J. " The kid's a natural."

Colby smiled. " Did he ever...you know?" asked Colby.

" Not since it happened," said Big J. " He tried to avoid any and all conversations about you."

" Do you know where he is?" asked Colby.

" He lives here in LA," said Big J. " If you want to see him, I suggest you take it slow, take a careful approach. A lot has changed since you've been in there."

Colby was silent the rest of the car ride. Once they pulled up to Big J's LA safehouse, he told Colby to make himself at home.

I need to go take care of some things," said Big J. "Take this." Big J handed Colby an envelope. It was 500 dollars. "It's not much, but it's all I could get for now."

" I can't take this," said Colby.

" It's alright little man," said Big J. " You can pay me back when you get back on your feet."

"Thank you," said Colby.

"There's clothes in the bedroom upstairs," said Big J. " Fridge is stocked, help yourself. There's a barber around the corner. I think it's best if you try and keep a low profile. News about your release should go public soon, but for now let's keep it on the DL."

" Got it," said Colby.

" If you need anything, you call me and I'll be back faster than you can even imagine," said Big J.

" Sure thing," said Colby.

Colby took a quick shower and then headed to the barber shop around the corner. Colby sat in the barbers chair. This was the first time he had looked at himself in the mirror in a long time. He did look very different. Almost unrecognizable. Maybe that was for the best. As he waited for the barber to come back with some supplies, he caught a glimpse of the news that was playing on the TV. He listened as the female news anchor spoke.

"5 time Grammy award winning artist Kat Stuart sent Twitter into a frenzy after she announced the second leg of her World Tour after a 9 month long music hiatus. The 33 year old singer announced she was going on hiatus after revealing her pregnancy during her Super Bowl LXVII halftime performance back in February" said the news anchor. " The singer's newest album Secrets took Album of the Year at this year's 75th Annual Grammy Awards and her new single If Only You Knew has had its 8th straight week at the top of the charts. Her husband, former YouTuber Sam Golbach, who was in tears of pride while attending his wifes halftime performance said "We are thrilled to be starting this new chapter of our lives together, and we couldn't be happier. I am so incredibly proud of her, she is the strongest and most amazing person I know, I'm truly so lucky to have her."

The news anchor continued. "The 35 year old has been a member of the Los Angeles Police Department for 6 years and has been recently promoted to Chief of Police in Los Angeles County. I think it's safe to say that America's Power Couple is still going strong."

"Wow!" said Colby. Things really had changed a lot.

Colby patiently waited as the barber finished up. He was finally starting to look like himself again. He even decided to add blue highlights. When Colby returned back to the safehouse, he smiled, looking at himself in the mirror.

"There we go," said Colby, ruffling his hair.

"Looks good kid," said Big J.

"Thanks," said Colby. " Can I see Sam?"

" I'm not sure that's a good idea yet," said Big J.

"Please?" asked Colby.

" Not yet," said Big J. "First, we eat." Big J was holding up 2 bags of Taco Bell.

Colby was practically salivating. He forgot how good Taco Bell was. " Fuck, I needed that," said Colby. "Thanks."

After they finished eating, they cleaned up and hopped into Big J's car. He pulled into a gated community, full of magnificent houses. He stopped across the street from one of the most gorgeous houses Colby had ever seen.

"Here we are," said Big J, putting the car into park.

Colby didn't move. He just sat waiting in the passenger seat. Staring out at the beautiful house.

" You okay kid?" asked Big J.

" Maybe you're right," said Colby. " Maybe this was a bad idea. Their lives are perfect, they're happy. Am I about to ruin their lives again?"

"Hey, don't be so hard on yourself," said Big J. " Just go and tell Sam that you're back. Tell him you wanna talk. If he does, that's great, if not, at least you'll know you tried. As long as he knows you're out, maybe he'll come around, even if it's not right away."

"I don't know," said Colby.

"What was your motto again?" asked Big J.

Colby laughed and smiled at him. " Take chances," he said.

Big J smiled at him. Colby opened the passenger side door, sliding out of the car. He began to cross the street over to Sam's house.

"Hey kid," said Big J. Colby whipped around to look at Big J. " I'm right here."

Colby nodded back to him and continued on. He stepped up onto the porch, he lifted his hand to knock on the door but hesitated. This was the first time in 10 years he was about to see Sam. He had no idea what the reaction was gonna be. He lightly knocked on the door. His heart was racing as he heard footsteps coming towards the door and the knob turned.Sam opened the door with a smile, but it disappeared when he saw who was at his door.

"Hey Sam," said Colby.

" Colby, it's been a while," said Sam. "What are you doing here?"

" I thought maybe we could talk," said Colby.

" I have nothing to say to you," said Sam.

" Please," said Colby. " You don't have to say anything, you just have to listen, hear me out."

"Babe, who's at the door?" asked Kat. She slowly made her way over to the doorway beside Sam, holding her belly.

" Colby?" asked Kat.

" Hey Kat," said Colby. "Wow, you look great! Congratulations." Colby looked at her pregnant belly.

"Thanks," said Kat. She slightly winced as she felt the baby kick.

" You okay?" asked Sam, helping her.

" Yea, I'm fine," said Kat smiling. " This little one is tough."

" Go have a seat," said Sam. "I'll be right there."

" Okay," said Kat. " Aren't you gonna invite our guest in?"

" Katrina, I don't think that's a-?" asked Sam.

" Come in Colby," interrupted Kat as she left to go sit down.

Colby looked back to Sam, he looked annoyed but he stepped aside to let Colby in. Colby walked in as Sam shut the door behind him. He followed Kat into the living room and looked around the beautiful house. There were posters of Katrina's tours she had done over the years as well as a shelf with all the music awards she had won. Sam had won some medals as well. Colby even saw a photo of Sam shaking hands with the President of The United States.

" You guys seem really happy," said Colby.

Katrina smiled at him from the couch, rubbing her belly. Sam sat down beside her, giving her a kiss. They both looked over at Colby. Colby stared back at them.

"This is a bit awkward," said Colby.

" You wanted to talk," said Sam. "So talk."

Colby explained the whole story, starting with the video he and Brennen had done about calling the scary numbers. He explained the phone calls from the distorted voice and the photos and text messages. All of it.

"So when you found me covered in blood, standing over that guy," explained Colby. " That was the last thing he made me do. When you came to see me in prison, he was still harassing me. I knew you wouldn't stop until you proved my innocence. If you did, you'd still be a target, so I knew the best way to protect you was to completely cut ties with you. So I made you hate me. I did what I had to."

Sam said nothing. He simply looked at Colby. " Is that it?" asked Sam.

"Excuse me?" said Colby.

" Whether or not you killed someone to protect me, you still killed someone," said Sam. " That doesn't change anything. If you had come to me and trusted me, we could've figured this out together."

" You were a target," said Colby. " He would've killed you."

" Guess we'll never know," said Sam.

" Sam, give him a chance," said Katrina.

" How could you say that after what he did to you?" asked Sam.

Katrina looked at Colby. Sam saw how they looked at each other.

"What?" asked Sam. " What are you not telling me?"

" My drawer over there," said Katrina. "Underneath the magazines."

Sam quickly made his way over to the drawer. He lifted the magazines and saw the opened envelope. He opened it up to the letter that Colby had sent Kat from prison 10 years ago, explaining everything.

He looked at her in shock. " You knew," said Sam. " You knew this whole time that he was innocent and you said nothing."

" I had to protect you," said Kat. " He said it was the only way."

" Wow, you too," said Sam. " I can't trust anybody around here."

" Don't blame Kat," said Colby. " This was all me. She loves you, that's why she did it."

" I think you should go," said Sam.

" Sam, please," said Colby.

" No, I could've gotten over what you did eventually if it was just you," explained Sam. " But you brought Katrina into this and that, I can't forgive."

"Sam?" said Colby.

"Get out of our fucking house," said Sam angrily.

" Please just listen," said Colby.

" I'm done listening!" yelled Sam. " Now I suggest you leave before I call backup and tell them that a newly released offender is harassing me and my pregnant wife."

Colby said nothing else. He quickly and quietly made his way back over to the door, shutting it behind him.

"Babe?" said Katrina.

Sam looked over at her. "10 years," he said.

"Sam, I'm sorry," said Kat.

"I'm sorry too," said Sam. He crumpled up the letter in his hands and threw it to the ground as he left to go to another room.

Colby slid into the passenger seat next to Big J. He saw the look on Colby's face.

" How did it go?" asked Big J. Even though he had a feeling he already knew.

" Let's just head back," said Colby.

" You sure?" asked Big J.

" Yeah," said Colby.

Colby sat on the couch, sifting through the TV channels. He was just numb. He had tried to find something to do to get his mind off of things, but he didn't feel like doing anything right now.

Colby pulled his attention away from the TV and looked down at Big J's cellphone as it rang. A private number came up. Big J was currently in the shower, so he just let the call go to voicemail, until the phone kept ringing, again and again and again. Colby figured it must be important so he answered the phone.

" Hi, Officer Joe isn't here right now, but I'll take a message for him, who is this?" asked Colby.

There was nothing but static on the other end of the line, until Colby heard something that sent chills down his spine.

" Welcome back," said a distorted voice.

Colby stumbled back, gasping, and quickly dropping the phone as the call was dropped. 

Sam grabbed his jacket and put it on, getting ready to go work the late shift at the police station. He had just needed a couple hours to himself to process everything. When he went into the living room to grab his keys, he saw Katrina, sitting and reading a book. She tried to hide the fact that she was glancing at Sam. He turned to leave, but stopped in his tracks. He turned back and walked over to Kat, slowly lowering the book that was in front of her face, seeing her tears. She looked up at him. Sam smiled at her and planted a loving kiss on her lips. He then pulled away.

" I love you," said Sam, "and I forgive you. We're okay."

Katrina sniffled and smiled. She wiped away her tears. " I love you too," she replied.

Sam quickly kissed her belly and turned towards the door to go into work.

" What about Colby?" asked Kat. " Do you forgive him?"

Sam said nothing, he just stopped and pondered, before deciding to leave,without saying another word.

Sam sat at his desk, writing up some reports when one of his officers came in.

" Hey chief, there's someone here to see you," he said.

" Who is it?" asked Sam.

" He didn't give his name, he was kind've in a rush," said the officer.

Sam followed the officer out of his office and stopped when he saw Colby in the station lobby. Sam waved off his partner.

"I'll take care of this," said Sam.

" Sam, I need-," started Colby.

He didn't get to finish as Sam grabbed him and pinned his arms behind his back, dragging him out of the station. When they got to the door, he opened it and threw Colby out hard.

" Sam stop!" said Colby. He stopped Sam from shutting the door. Sam shoved him back out.

"Sam, listen to me," said Colby. "He's back."

"Who?" asked Sam.

" The caller," said Colby frantically. " The guy who was harassing me, he's back."

" You're delusional," said Sam.

" Sam, I'm trying to warn you here," said Colby. " He's gonna come after you."

" Do you wanna go back to jail?" yelled Sam, as he turned back towards the station entrance.

" I'm trying to protect you, don't you get that," said Colby, turning Sam around by his shoulder.

Sam pulled out his gun and pointed it straight at Colby. Colby raised his hands slowly.

" Sam, what are you doing?" asked Colby.

" Don't move," said Sam.

" Sam, it's me, c'mon," said Colby. " What ever happened to Sam and Colby vs The World, huh?"

" You tell me," said Sam.

" What?" asked Colby.

"You came here to protect me," started Sam. " I don't need you to protect me anymore. You've spent your whole life protecting me and the one time I step in to try and protect you, you push me away. Do you have any idea what that felt like? I have spent the last 10 years feeling guilty, Colby. Knowing that if I had protected you better, that if I had just noticed something was off I could've prevented all of this."

Sam continued. "I thought that joining the police force, helping people, saving lives would help some of that guilt go away but it didn't. It didn't help knowing that I save lives for a living and yet I couldn't save my best friend when he needed me most. Colby, it took me years to get over that. It felt like you died. I felt like my life was over. Thank god I had Katrina or I wouldn't be where I am. I'd be way worse off. So no, Colby, I'm sorry. I can't let you back into my life because if I lose you again, it will break me, and I can't go through that pain again. I never hated you Colby. Even after all of it, I never hated you. I hated myself, for not being strong enough to be there for you like you were for me. In the end, I couldn't protect the one person who meant the world to me."

Colby stood there, speechless, as the tears began to stream down Sam's face. Colby could see the hurt and the pain in his best friend's face. Colby lowered his hands and gently moved towards Sam.

"It's okay," said Colby, slowly reaching for the gun in Sam's hands.

" Look," said Colby. " Him and I being back at the same time, I don't know if it's fate or what, but this is your chance, Sam. You're right, I shouldn't have pushed you away and I'm sorry, but I'm here now. We're here, together. Maybe me getting out and coming to find you was a way of giving you a second chance, to do what you didn't get to do 10 years ago. You want to save me, protect me? You can now, we can end this, together."

Colby cautiously stepped towards Sam, slowly taking the gun from Sam's hand. Sam shakily let it go and Colby gently set it down on the ground.

" I'm right here Sam, I got you," said Colby.

He stuck his hand out for Sam to shake. Sam hesitated, but shook Colby's hand.

Sam nodded to him. " Where do we start?" he asked.

Sam and Colby were huddled around a computer at the station, trying to uncover anything they could about this guy.

" Is there anything you know about him?" asked Sam. " Anything at all we can use to track him down."

" No," said Colby. "But I know how he works, he'll do whatever he can to torture me."

" Why?" asked Sam. " What does he have against you? How does he know so much?"

" I don't know," said Colby.

" There has to be a reason," said Sam. " People don't just ruin lives for fun."

" You'd be surprised," said Colby.

" You said this person called you back?" asked Sam.

" He did," said Colby.

" Do you still have the number?" asked Sam.

" Yea, why?" asked Colby.

" We can trace it," said Sam.

" It pops up as an unknown caller everytime," explained Colby. " This could be one of many numbers he uses."

" Ok, then let's go back to the source," said Sam. " The number you used the very first time you and Brennen called him." Sam began typing faster, Colby watched in awe as Sam worked his magic with the computer.

" Give it a second," said Sam. " There!"

Sam and Colby looked at the computer screen confused. "Wait, is that...," asked Colby.

" That's my address," said Sam. " Why is the number traced to...oh my god! Katrina! We need to go, now!"

Sam, Colby and several officers swarmed Sam's house. All of the officers got out of the cars, guns drawn.Sam carefully held his gun in front of him, walking up the steps of his porch. Colby followed closely behind. Sam carefully opened the front door and walked into his home. When they reached the living room, it was completely trashed, as if there had been a struggle. Sam began to panic.

" Katrina!?" yelled Sam. "Katrina!?" He frantically searched throughout the house.

Colby looked down at the burner phone in his hand as it began to ring. Sam joined him back in the living room. He and Colby looked at each other and then back to the phone. Colby answered it.

" Hello," said Colby.

" Hello Colby," said the voice.

" Where is she?" asked Colby.

" Safe, for now," said the voice. " You cheated. You told Sam, and Big J, I don't like cheaters."

" I thought this was over," said Colby.

" No, Colby, not yet," said the voice. " But soon."

" What the hell does that mean?" asked Colby.

" I think it's time we meet in person, Colby," said the voice. " The abandoned building in Dexter Park. Meet me there, you, and Sam, alone. It's time for the grand finale."

"Fuck!" said Sam.

" Our story ends now" said the voice. The call dropped.

Sam frantically threw his hands to his head. Trying to calm himself down.

" I led him right to you," said Colby. "I'm sorry."

" Hey, hey," said Sam. " No, don't do that to me. Not now. We got this, remember, cause we're together now. Sam and Colby vs The World, right? I need you with me Colby, please. Are you with me?"

Colby nodded. "Yea, I'm with you, always," he said.

"Good," said Sam. " Then let's finish this."

Sam and Colby arrived in Dexter Park around 11 pm. They both stepped out of Sam's squad car. They looked at the abandoned building in front of them. It used to be some kind of rec center.

" Kinda reminds you of the old days, doesn't it," said Colby.

" Yea, I miss those days," said Sam.

" You do?" said Colby.

"Sometimes," said Sam. He removed his gun from his holster and clicked the safety. He looked over at Colby. " Ready?"

" Ready!" said Colby.

They walked up to the door of the abandoned rec center. Sam slowly turned the knob.

"Stay behind me," said Sam. Colby nodded.

"On my mark," said Sam. He held up 3 fingers, silently counting down.

When Sam got to 1, he pushed the door open, his gun pointed. The two of them frantically scanned around every room. They found nothing, until Sam heard shuffling in one of the far rooms down the hall. Sam stopped against the wall outside the door, he looked back at Colby who nodded back to him. With his gun drawn, they bolted into the room.

A masked man was holding Katrina tightly, he had a gun pointed to her head. She had tears streaming down her face. Sam pointed his gun straight at the man.

" Sam, it's a trap," cried Katrina.

" Let her go," said Sam, his gun still pointed.

" Drop the gun," said the masked man. His voice was still distorted.

" You first," said Sam.

The masked man moved the gun from Katrina's head to her belly. Her cries became louder.

"I said drop it!" said the masked man.

"Okay, okay," said Sam. " Just don't hurt her." Sam lifted his hands in surrender. He slowly placed the gun down at his feet.

" Kick it over here," said the masked man.

Sam obeyed. Kicking the gun towards the masked man. He threw Katrina roughly against the wall. Sam tried to approach her, but the masked man stopped them.

" Don't move," said the masked man. He had his gun pointed towards Sam and Colby.

Colby stepped up. " I'm here," he said. " Let them go."

" I'm sorry Colby," said the masked man. " I can't do that."

" Who are you?" said Colby.

" You still haven't figured it out?" said the masked man.

Colby looked at Sam confused. They both looked towards the masked man as he pushed a button on a small device, and then removed his mask.

Colby was in shock. " Brennen?" he said.

" Did you miss me?" asked Brennen. " Who am I kidding, of course you didn't."

" No, this isn't possible," said Colby. " You should still be in prison"

" I never went to prison, Colby," explained Brennen. "No, that's only what I needed you to think."

" Why did you do this?" asked Colby. "We're friends, best friends."

" Are we?" said Brennen. " When was the last time you ever even gave me a thought,huh?"

" When I heard what happened to you, I was devastated," said Colby.

" I don't believe you," said Brennen.

" What exactly was I supposed to do?" asked Colby.

" I don't know, fight for me," said Brennen. " The same way you always fight for him."

" I don't understand," said Sam. " How long has this been you?"

" Since the start," said Brennen. " When Colby and I called those scary numbers, I had originally set the location to Dexter Park as a prank to scare Colby. Then I planned for months, to plan this fake trial, and this fake murder, all pinned on me, to see what Colby would do. I thought we were friends, and I thought you would stop at nothing to fight for me, but you didn't. You came to see me, once. So that's when I decided to take things a step further. I threatened Sam and then you didn't hesitate to step in. That's when it became real. More than just a prank. That was the moment I knew we were never friends. We couldn't be, because of him." Brennen pointed at Sam. "You say that you care about all of your friends equally, but in the end, it will always be Sam and you know it. You were one of the only friends I had left and you abandoned me. I had no one left, and I wanted you to see what that felt like."

" So you ruined my life, tore Sam and I apart," started Colby, " because you were jealous?"

" I tried not to be," said Brennen. " I thought this could work until I realized you never really cared and you never would, not if he was here, and it was never just this, Colby. It was every time. Everytime you couldn't hang out because you had to leave to help Sam or hang out with Sam or film with Sam. So, when you got out, and you went back to him, I knew I had to come back as well."

" I spent 10 years in prison because of you," said Colby.

" Yea, and it was 10 years away from him," said Brennen. " It was the best 10 years of my life. Knowing I finally drove you two apart."

" You son of a bitch," said Sam.

" I thought for sure once you got out, you would come to me," said Brennen. " But you didn't, you went straight to Sam, just like you always do. That's when I realized throwing you in prison wasn't enough. I should've killed you, both of you, when I had the chance."

"Ahhhhhh!" yelled Katrina from the floor.

All 3 of them looked over at her hunched on the ground, a wet puddle around her.

" Oh my god," said Sam. " Her water broke." Sam tried to go to her.

" I said don't move!" yelled Brennen.

" Brennen, please, she's in labor, she needs a hospital," said Sam.

" No, this is what you get, Sam," said Brennen. " I want to see you suffer."

"Brennen, look at me," said Colby. Brennen looked over at him. " Look, you can hate me all you want, you can even hate Sam, but Katrina, she did nothing to you. She always treated you like a friend, even if I didn't. If there was ever a moment where we were ever truly friends, if you ever really did care for me, you'll let her go. I know you're not that heartless."

Brennen stared at him and then he turned his gun on Sam. " Colby, take Katrina outside and call an ambulance," he said. " Sam and I are gonna catch up."

Colby looked over at Sam. " Sam?!" said Colby.

" I'll be fine," said Sam. "Just get her out of here."

Colby nodded to Sam and quickly rushed to Katrina's side, helping her up. He quickly led her out of the room and down the halls of the old rec center.

" It's okay, I got you," said Colby. " That's it, quick breaths."

"Ahhh, oh god!" shouted Kat.

" Almost there Kat, almost there," said Colby.

Colby quickly pulled out his phone and called 911. " Hello, I need the police or an ambulance, anything to Dexter Park, I have a woman who's in labor, hurry please. We're outside the old rec center."

" We have officers on the way, sir," said the operator.

" Thank you," said Colby.

He led Katrina outside, they could hear the sirens in the distance, luckily, the police station wasn't far. If an ambulance didn't get here fast enough, the police would.

Several police pulled up outside the rec center and all of them stepped out of their squad cars, Big J was one of them.

" What the hell have you done?" asked Big J.

" I have no time to explain," said Colby. " You need to get her to a hospital now."

" Where's Sam?" asked Big J.

" He's inside the rec center," said Colby. "We found the guy."

" The guy who was harassing you?" asked Big J. " He's back?"

" Yea," said Colby.

" You need us to go in there?" asked Big J.

" No, no don't," said Colby. "Just get her to a hospital, please."

" You should've told me," said Big J.

" I know, I'm sorry," said Colby, "and when this is over, you can throw my ass back in jail, but please just help her."

Big J gently took Katrina from Colby, leading her to the police car. As they led her away, she grabbed Colby's wrist.

" I can't lose him, Colby," said Katrina.

" Hey, hey, you won't," said Colby, cupping Kat's cheek. " I got him. I promise"

" Thank you," said Katrina, wincing. " I'm really glad you're back."

Colby smiled at her. "Thanks," he said.

" We'll take it from here," said Big J. " Go!"

Colby raced back into the rec center. He reached the room where Sam and Brennen were waiting, hoping he wasn't too late. When he entered, Sam and Brennen were in the same places they had been before.

"What happened?" asked Colby.

"Sam and I had a chat," explained Brennen. "He has a couple things he wants to say to you." Colby looked over at Sam.

" How could you bring us back into this?" asked Sam.

" What do you mean?" asked Colby.

" This, all of this," said Sam. " Brennen is right, you never really cared."

" What? No, I did Sam, that's why I came to find you," said Colby.

"Our life was perfect, we were happy," said Sam. "But you just had to come back, you just couldn't stay away. How could you do that?"

" Look Sam, whatever Brennen said to you, it's not true," explained Colby. " He's lying, he's just trying to get in your head."

" You were selfish," said Sam. " I hate you, Colby!"

"That's not what you said earlier," explained Colby.

" I didn't realize how naive I was," said Sam. " I should've known better. I was wrong to think I could ever forgive you."

" So what," said Colby. " You're gonna call backup, have me arrested, again?"

" No," said Sam. " Jail means you can still get out. You can still come back. I wanna make sure you're never around to harass my family or ruin my life ever again. I want you dead, Colby."

Brennen looked at him shocked. "Are you shittin me, Sam?" asked Brennen.

"No, I'm serious," said Sam. "And I'll prove it." Sam gestured his hand out to Brennen.

Brennen huffed and threw Sam one of the guns. Brennen made sure to still have his gun pointed at Sam. Sam clicked the safety.

" C'mon," said Colby. " We're best friends!"

" A best friend never would've made the decision to knock on my door," said Sam. " You could've walked away, and chosen not to involve us, but you didn't. You made that decision." Sam lifted the gun and pointed it at Colby.

"Sam, please," started Colby.

Colby didn't have time to finish as the sound of a gunshot rang out and Colby stumbled back, holding his stomach. Colby screamed in pain, wincing as he fell against the wall of the rec center. Colby looked at the smoking gun in Sam's hands. Colby began to slouch down against the wall as Sam walked up to him, the gun now pointed at his head.

Brennen was watching all of this play out with a wicked smile. " You wanna finish him, or should I?" asked Brennen.

Sam stared down at Colby, who looked back up at him. Sam shot him a small smile and winked at him out of Brennens view. Sam quickly turned and fired 4 rounds into Brennens chest.

Brennen fell onto the floor as blood began to pour from his mouth and stomach. Sam rushed over to Brennen and stood over him, his gun still pointed. Brennen coughed up some blood and looked at Sam standing over him.

" Well played, Golbach," coughed Brennen.

Sam watched as Brennen's breaths became more shallow, until eventually they stopped. Sam lowered his gun. He quickly rushed to Colby's side as he heard him groan in pain.

" How are you feeling, dude?" asked Sam.

" Ugh, I think I'll live," said Colby. " Good thing you made me put on that bulletproof vest before we came in."

" Glad you were able to pick up what I was putting down," said Sam, helping Colby up.

" You never were a good actor," replied Colby, taking Sam's hand. " I knew what you were doing the second I saw the look on your face when I walked in the room."

" Wasn't sure if Brennen would catch on or not," said Sam.

" No, he wouldn't have," said Colby. " No one would have, cause they don't know us. Not really. They can't break us apart that easily. Not even after 10 years."

" Some things never change," said Sam. "How's Katrina? Is she okay?"

" She's fine," said Colby. "She's on her way to the hospital now. We should go, quick."

Sam and Colby raced into the hospital. As soon as they got there, a nurse came up to them.

" Are you Kat Stuart's husband?" asked the nurse.

" Yes, is she okay?" asked Sam.

" She's fine, but you need to hurry," said the nurse.

Sam looked back at Colby. " Go, go!" said Colby. " Good luck!" Sam nodded to him and then quickly followed the nurse to Katrina's room.

Shortly after the nurse came and got Sam, several others tended to Colby when they noticed him hunching over and wincing. They wrapped his stomach tightly and then finally gave him permission to go to Sam and Kat's room. Colby slowly made his way to Sam and Kat's hospital room. He stopped in the doorway and silently looked at them. Katrina was holding their newborn baby in her arms, Sam was standing over them both. Katrina locked eyes with Colby, and then she gestured to Sam. He turned around and saw Colby standing in the doorway.

"Sorry," said Colby.

" No, it's okay," said Sam. " Come in. I have someone I want you to meet."

Colby slowly made his way over to Sam, who gently took the baby from Katrina's arms. Sam gently rocked the baby in his arms.

" Colby," said Sam. " I'd like you to meet Everett Cole Golbach."

Colby looked at Sam with a wide smile. " What?" asked Colby. " Are you serious?"

" It was Sam's idea," said Katrina.

Colby had tears forming in his eyes. " Wow, Sam," said Colby. " I don't know what to say."

" Would you like to hold him?" asked Sam.

" Yes," said Colby. Sam carefully placed his newborn son into Colby's arms.

" Hi buddy! Wow, you're so perfect," said Colby. " You did good, Kat." Katrina shot Colby a smile.

" Kat and I were talking," said Sam. " We'd love for you to be Everett's godfather."

" I'd be honored," said Colby.

After spending some time at the hospital, Colby decided it would be best for him to clear out and give Sam and Kat some space. He wanted to be out before any of their families showed up. He had Big J pick him up at the hospital. He explained they had just finished clearing up the crime scene.

" I guess this means I'm going back to the slammer huh?" said Colby.

" Nah, not this time," said Big J.

" Let me guess," said Colby. " You pulled some strings."

" No! I didn't," said Big J. " Sam did."

Colby smiled and looked at Big J, who smiled back at him.

" You've got a good friend there," said Big J.

" You're right, I do," said Colby. " The best."

Later that night, Sam met up with Colby at his safehouse. They were ironing out the final details of Colby's official release. After they were finished, they stood on the back porch, sharing some beers.

" I almost forgot what this tasted like," said Colby.

Sam laughed. He looked over at Colby standing beside him. " I forgot to ask you if you were okay,back there," said Sam.

" I'm good," said Colby. " Just a big bruise."

" I wasn't talking about the gunshot," said Sam.

" You did what had to be done," said Colby.

" I still shot one of your best friends," said Sam.

" He wasn't my friend," said Colby. " Not really. He made that clear."

" Thanks, by the way," said Sam.

" For what?" asked Colby. " Fucking everything up?"

" You didn't fuck things up too bad this time," laughed Sam. " It could've been worse."

" Oh, really," laughed Colby. He took a sip of his beer. " Look, I know I was gone a long time, and I know I have a lot of time to make up for, but I was hoping, if you could forgive me, maybe we could, you know?"

" I'd like that," said Sam. "And of course I forgive you." He moved his can towards Colby's, clinking them together in a Cheers.

"Did you ever think of going back to it," said Colby. " The YouTube thing."

" No," said Sam. " I never could've done it, not alone."

" I get it," said Colby.

"So, what's next for you?" said Sam.

" I'm not sure," said Colby.

" Well, if you're interested," said Sam, as he pulled out some papers, "the force is always looking for new recruits."

Colby took the application papers from Sam, scanning them.

" Big J helped me get started," explained Sam. " It's a few years of school and training, and it can be tedious, but you're fair and you've always had that natural instinct to protect. I think you'd be amazing. What do you say?"

" Where do I sign?" asked Colby.

Sam laughed and Colby laughed with him.

"Can I..." asked Colby.

" I thought you'd never ask," said Sam.

Then, for the first time in 10 years, Colby hugged his best friend tightly and Sam returned the gesture. Colby had dreamed of this moment, and for the longest time, he thought he'd never have this feeling again. The feeling of hugging his best friend, his brother, and it truly was the best feeling in the world. 

:) :) :)

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

168K 8.2K 47
Et si, une Zoldyck venait à rejoindre la brigade fantôme et a attirer l'intention du fameux chef avec son attitude...assez hors du commun, qu'est-ce...
186K 6.5K 62
« Personne ne sait ni quand, ni comment l'amour ou la foudre vont tomber, mais tout ce qu'on sait, c'est que ça ne tombe jamais deux fois. » Charles...
9.1K 278 20
3 ème année pour notre Hannah. Une nouvelle année sans son meilleur ami. Une année plein de danger et de secret avoué
312K 10.5K 57
« Plus personne n'aura la capacité de me blesser, plus personne n'en aura le pouvoir. » Vivre seule, être indépendante et ne jamais baisser sa garde...