Did What I Had To

How far would you go to protect a loved one?

Colby was tanning outside, enjoying the sun when he heard Sam frantically yelling his name. Colby sat up to see Sam running up to him, holding his phone.

"Dude, Brennen has been arrested!" said Sam.

"What!" said Colby.

"Yea, it's all over Twitter," said Sam. " It says that he strangled a man to death and fatally shot a woman seven times in the leg."

"What the fuck!?" asked Colby. "Why would he do that?"

" I don't know," said Sam. " But the woman he shot was apparently able to tell the cops that while Brennen shot her, he kept apologizing. He acted like he had to do it, not like he wanted to.Like he didn't have a choice, but he wouldn't say why."

"Oh my god!" said Colby.

" She's in critical condition," said Sam. "The man is dead and they aren't sure whether the woman is gonna make it. She lost a lot of blood."

Sam and Colby watched the news and followed the story all night. It took a couple of days but eventually Colby was able to get in and see Brennen before his hearing. He tried to get Brennen to tell him what was going on, but all Brennen could say was that they deserved it, but Colby knew him and could see it in his eyes that he didn't mean what he was saying. Brennen's hearing was being set up and Sam and Colby made sure to be there for support. When the judge gave Brennen a chance to speak, he said he was proud of his work, that he would do it again and that he felt no remorse. Then he looked directly at the woman's family and told them that he hopes that she dies. They began to cry harder than they were before and Brennen was forcefully escorted out of the courtroom in cuffs.

Sam had to almost sprint to catch up with Colby outside the courthouse. Colby was pacing and put his hand through his hair, trying to process everything. Even though Brennen's trial wasn't for a while, Colby knew he'd probably go to prison for life.

"Colby, are you okay?" asked Sam.

" No, I just can't believe this," explained Colby. " Why would he say all those things? What changed? It doesn't make sense."

"It's been a long day," said Sam. " Let's go and follow the rest from home."

"Sure," said Colby.

" Maybe order some Tender Greens?" said Sam.

" Yes, please!" said Colby.

Colby decided that he needed some rest after hearing the worst news he possibly could've, that the woman had died in surgery. Now Brennen was screwed. Everyone knew it, Colby knew it and it killed him inside. Sam had decided to give Colby some space and went to hang out with Kat.

Colby woke up hours later, remembering everything, hoping it was a dream, but the news channel proved it wasn't. He shut off the TV and went to the kitchen to drink some water. He heard his phone ringing on the table in the kitchen, he looked at the number and ignored it when a number he didn't recognize popped up on his screen. It stopped ringing for only a second before it started again and the same number popped up. Colby once again ignored it. Then his text alert went off. It was a text from the same number.

" You might wanna answer the phone, Colby," it read.

It began ringing again immediately after. This time, Colby reluctantly answered.

" Hello Colby," said the voice on the other end. It was a distorted voice.

" Who is this?" asked Colby. "Why do you have my number?"

" You gave it to me," replied the voice. " Don't you remember?"

" Look, whoever you are," started Colby. " This isn't funny."