Love is a choice (Benedict Br...

khaiyakoto द्वारा

Nancy Griffiths, a young & beautiful woman with musical talents, came from a poor working class family from B... अधिक

Prologue: Dearest Reader
1. A Chance Encounter
2. A Gentleman's Agreement
3. Visiting an Old Friend
4. The Game is Afoot
5. Lustful Desires
6. Windows to the Soul
7. Comforting a Diamond
8. Her Golden Hour
9. The Final String
10. Whiskey & Cigars
11. Insignificant Bloomsbury Child
12. All Alone
13. The Promise
14. The Big Question
15. Heads or Tails
16. One of you
17. A Mother's Love
18. The Final Ball
19. A Million Dreams
20. Love Is a Choice
Dearest reader

Epilogue

9.5K 303 113
khaiyakoto द्वारा

Song: True by Vitamin String Quartet

- BENEDICT BRIDGERTON -

Heavenly and freeing...

If there is a way to describe how it feels when you listen to the compositions of Nancy Griffiths, it would be those exact two things. She has always had a way of creating melodies that can transport you to a place where no harm can be done, where you can live a life without a single care in the world, with all the peace and quiet your heart desires.

And that is what I envisioned while creating this painting of her; sitting behind the pianoforte in her home while the light shines through the window onto her warm ivory skin, where her smile is as bright as the sun and her eyes as brown as honey.

Oh, to have her in front of me again.

"It is a beautiful painting, brother." Anthony compliments as he comes to stand next to me to behold the only artwork I made where Nancy is visible.

We stand in my old room in Aubrey Hall where I used to practice my art skills before I left for Berlin.

"Has it really been three years?" I ask, not being able to keep my eyes from the painting.

"Given the fact that you have only returned from Berlin yesterday as a now renowned painter and poet, I have to say that time has indeed passed...
Additionally, it is Colin's wedding day."

"Took them long enough to get here." I smile.

When I received the wedding invitation, I jumped on the first boat back to London. I would not miss any of my siblings weddings for the world.

Especially Eloise's, might that day ever come.

"When can we expect you to settle down, Benedict?"

"Trust me brother, I want to, but..."

"No one is Nancy Griffiths... I know." Anthony interrupts.

Three years ago, when Nancy's departure was still fresh, I had difficulties accepting the fact that I had to wake up knowing that I would not see her that same day. I was so used to the idea that I would meet her eyes from across the room at some ball or to see her at her home where we could both act as if it was only us against the world, but no.

We still write to each other often, but sometimes, it feels as if she is slowly becoming a distant memory, someone from the past you cannot retrieve, and I do not think my heart can handle it.

I want to remember her very clearly; remember how she would look at me with those eyes, kiss me so passionately and melt me with just one touch. I want to remember the sound of her laughter and the way she always became so emerged with the pianoforte whenever she was writing a new composition. I want to remember the way she would call my name and follow it up with her witty and scandalous remarks and opinions.

But every day that passes, it becomes harder and harder to obtain those memories of us together when she is no longer in sight. There is only so little one can bear in mind with mere letters.

"Now, before we proceed to the wedding, I need you to fetch me this small white box from the study. It is on my desk, I recall." Anthony commands.

I frown.

"Why don't you get it?"

"Because I need to greet the guests outside. Now make haste! The wedding ceremony is starting soon!"

With an annoyed sigh, I hurry towards the study.

No matter how happily married him and Kate are, he still can be an exasperating older brother, declaring his commandments left and right. It would've at least been nice if he told me what the box is for.

I charge into the study, rushing towards the desk, but suddenly, I freeze.

My eyes widen and rapidly my heartbeat quickens at realizing that I am not alone in the room.

"Nancy?!" I say surprised.

Standing in front of me, I watch Nancy Griffiths turn away from the window, in a beautiful blue dress and long, curly locks of dark hair. She looks most regal.

Perhaps I should pinch myself to see if I am not imagining her...

"Benedict?" She calls as shocked as I am.

"What- whatever are you doing here?"

"Uh- well- The Viscount... he asked me to wait here for the girls. I am one of Penelope's bridesmaids."

"You are?"

"When I received a letter from Penelope that she and Colin were getting married and she asked me to be one of her bridesmaids, I immediately took the ship home." Nancy explains calmly before taking a few steps towards me. "-and you," she points at me. "I gather, you are the best man."

I only chuckle. "Evidently. I am only here to get something." I then respond, Nancy nodding while looking around the room as she runs her hand across the desk, remaining perfectly quiet.

"It sure is quite surreal to be back for Colin and Penelope's wedding. I can still remember when I used to push your brother all the time to approach the now bride-to-be."

"Some might even say, you are the reason for this to happen." I say with a grin.

"I will gladly take a bit of credit..- Now, you said you were here to fetch something?"

Oh right!

"Yes! Right...- erm- Anthony asked me to pick up something from his desk. A small box if I remember correctly-" I look around the room, only to spot, indeed, a tiny white box on his desk near to where Nancy has rested her hand. "Ah! There it is!"

I walk towards the desk and pick up the box so small, it is able to fit in only one hand. I frown as I notice a written note stuck underneath it;

Benedict, for the love of God, stop wasting any more time.
- Anthony

"What does it say?" I hear Nancy ask. I startle at how loud her voice is, only coming to realize that she is not even standing two feet away from me.

Carefully opening the box, I silently gasp at the sight of a diamond engagement ring.

"Oh Penelope's wedding ring! It is very beautiful!" Nancy then says excitingly, but I shake my hand cluelessly.

"No, no.. I already have that one in my pocket." I reply.

Is this supposed to be mine to give then?

"Then whose is it?"

I slightly move my hand down to look at her, and for the first time in three years, I finally meet her mesmerizing eyes up close.

It is almost as if I am falling in love with her all over again, for the very first time.

"Ahem" We hear someone clear their throat.

Startled, we immediately turn to the door where we see Anthony casually passing by with his hands behind his back, before pausing briefly to acknowledge our presence.

Is he already plotting my engagement? I have only arrived yesterday.

"Oh! Do not mind me! I was- erm- only passing by. Please proceed." Anthony grins before leaving us alone in the study.

What an idiot.

Nancy laughs at the unsubtle plan of our dear viscount before looking at me. "Have you come here to propose, Mr. Bridgerton?" She asks amused.

Completely dumbfounded, I frown. "I eh- no. I... I- Forgive me. This is all Anthony's doing."

"So you were not planning on asking for my hand in marriage then? I have to admit that it is quite disappointing."

What?

"Are you implying that your opinions on marriage have changed?" I ask confused yet slightly hopeful.

"I was never opposed by the idea of marriage, Benedict. In fact, I recall only saying I wanted to pursue my own dreams, before I decide to settle."

"Right. Does this mean that you are ready then?- to settle?"

Nancy leans back her head and looks away for a moment.

She only needs to say yes, and I am most certain that I will bring myself on one knee.

"Perhaps." Nancy responds. "Traveling the world almost every day has quite taken its toll on me. Do not get me wrong. I loved every minute of it and I certainly do not regret it. Not even the slightest bit, but it has become rather tiring. For once I would love to just be in one place for an indefinite amount of time.- and finally be with the man I love.- That is if his feelings for me have not changed."

And there it is. That stomach-fluttering feeling only Nancy Griffiths has been able to give me. "Is that a proposal, Miss Griffiths?" I ask with a raised eyebrow as I lean my face closer to hers.

Nancy smiles and shakes her head. "It is a promise."

"Then- I am eager to tell you that those feelings have never changed nor wavered even one bit."

I have dreamt about this day: The day when the two of us would finally find each other again at the right place and at the right time.

"Well then, Mr Bridgerton." She mutters with her lips ever so close to mine. "Regarding that ring, I do not think it wise for you to ask me today."

Oh, I was ready to get on one knee already.

"And why is that?" I ask confused.

"Well, we do not want to steal any attention away from the bride and groom."

Right.

Am I a bad brother for nearly forgetting it is Colin and Penelope's wedding day?

"You have a point..." I then reply, looking away for a moment.

"So will you ask me tomorrow?" Nancy then asks with her dimpled smile.

I chuckle, tugging a strand of her hair behind her ear. "That depends... Will you say yes?"

Nancy grins before bringing her face even closer to mine. She squints her eyes to appear as if she is in deep thought.

"Well, I have to think about that." She replies sarcastically, causing me to let out a laugh.

"You are absolutely impossible."

With a smirk on her face, she suddenly grabs me by the collar and pulls me closer, to the point that my forehead is leaned against hers.

I close my eyes as I can hear the sound of her breathing against my lips. "Nancy..." I softly call, yearning to press my lips against hers.

"Mhm..." she mutters.

"Will you say yes?" I repeat in whisper.

"-Yes." She then responds, leaving my heart to burst at any moment, almost as if she has already become my fiancée.

Without being able to hide the excitement on my face, I immediately press my lips against her after three years of pining for her. I feel a smile growing on Nancy's lips, the longer we kiss, as her arms move around my neck. She then slides her one hand to the back of my head to pull me even closer to her.

"Nancy," I moan silently in between before finally, she pulls away. Both breathless, I hear her clear her throat.

"We erm-we must get back before anyone notices we are gone."

The thought of soon being able to call this amazing woman my wife has left me nothing but excited for the future.

"Tomorrow it is then." I say to which Nancy smiles.

She nods before planting one quick kiss on my lips. "I love you, Benedict." She whispers.

I can never imagine ever becoming tired of hearing that coming from her mouth, and I hope it is the same the other way around. "I love you too."

"Will the two of you please stop being so revolting and join me in greeting our guests?" We hear Anthony yell from the hallway.

He was listening our whole conversation?

"You were here the entire time?!" I shout a bit bothered.

"Unfortunately yes!- Look, I am happy for the two of you, but God! If only I could reverse time and leave before the two of you got physical!"

Nancy and I both burst into laughter at my brother's nausea towards us, absolutely ruining this beautiful moment.

He should not be one to talk. I remember very well when him and Kate had just gotten married, we would see them kissing constantly-

...and they did not even try to hide it.

Amused and annoyed at the same time, I finally extend my arm to Nancy who can only grin at the situation.

After all, there are no reasons to be pessimistic anymore. "Are you still certain you want to marry into this family?" I joke.

"Now that you mention it, I am having second thoughts."

"Very funny!" We hear Anthony interfere sarcastically to which I can only shake my head.

Finally, I take a look at Nancy one more time, and I cannot help but be most gratified that conclusively we have found our way back to each other.

And I am unequivocally sure that this time, I will never let her go.

"Ready?" I ask as Nancy takes my arm.

"Certainly." She replies.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

113K 2K 22
| 18+ | A stubborn lady and her irresistible Viscount. 𝐄𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐭𝐨𝐧 - She and her family moved back to Grosvenor Square in Mayfair...
59.8K 3.6K 13
-𝐅𝐋𝐎𝐖𝐄𝐑 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐒 ᵉᵈʷⁱⁿᵃ ˢʰᵃʳᵐᵃ '𝙏𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙗𝙚�...
59.9K 1.6K 38
High Society has once again returned in Governor's Square! Trust isn't built so well after so many secrets and scandals. Between lies, cheating, mis...
32.3K 1.3K 28
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷𝑫𝑨𝒀𝑳𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻⭑.ೃ࿐ *・゚゚・:.。..。.:゚::✼✿ - ✿✼:゚:.。..。.:・゚゚・* 𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐎𝐍 𝐁𝐀𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐓, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to...