𝐒𝐔𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐒𝐀𝐃𝐍...

By harringtonssss

𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡...... eden bexley and her group of sun kissed friends discover a mystery of a lifetime, fill... More

SUMMERTIME SADNESS
GRAPHICS!!
ACT ONE
INSTAGRAM INTERLUDE PT1
EPIGRAPH
TWO| to the motel
THREE| never mix kooks and pogues
FOUR| diver down
FIVE| two burly men
SIX| redfield
SEVEN| to the grave
EIGHT| to going full kook
NINE| the drone
TEN| frowns and fights
ELEVEN| the warrant
TWELVE| a midsummers dream
THIRTEEN| fallin' for sarah cameron
FOURTEEN| john booker cameron
FIFTEEN|so many mosquitoes
SXITEEN| does sarah get a share?
SEVENTEEN|three kooks, one boat
EIGHTEEN| forgiveness is possible
NINETEEN| oh, the things you do for gold
TWENTY| pawn shop troubles
TWENTY ONE| jj's shit
TWENTY TWO| a final goodbye
TWENTY THREE| the cameron plane
TWENTY FOUR| the truth
TWENTY FIVE| hiding with a wanted man
TWENTY SIX| worried moms, arguing daughters
TWENTY-SEVEN| the phantom fight
TWENTY-EIGHT| goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
ACT TWO
INSTAGRAM INTERLUDE PT2
INSTAGRAM INTERLUDE PT3
TWENTY-NINE| the process of grief
THIRTY| no texting in class (unless it's your dead friend!)
THIRTY-ONE| tickling the wire
THIRTY-TWO| pope's antique electronic
THIRTY-THREE| total pennywise shit
THIRTY-FOUR| charleston bound
THIRTY-FIVE| better late than never
THIRTY-SIX| ms. limbrey and her tea
THIRTY-SEVEN| dude, we're getting the band back together!
THIRTY-EIGHT| keeping up with the pogues
THIRTY-NINE| it's my party and i'll cry if i want too
FORTY| four little pougesies sitting in a tree
FORTY-ONE| the arrest
FORTY-TWO| eden bexley isn't okay!
FORTY-THREE| court troubles
FORTY-FOUR| plan appendicitis
FORTY-FIVE| all hail topper thornton
FORTY-SIX| the heyward secret
FORTY-SEVEN| a good sailor goes down with his ship
FORTY-EIGHT| cameron conversations
FORTY-NINE| eden bexley; relationship guru of the obx
FIFTY| geometry test discoveries
FIFTY-ONE| bonfire blues
FIFTY-TWO| run-in with renfield
FIFTY-THREE| across the sand flamingo
FIFTY-FOUR| food for the gators
FIFTY-FIVE| pope becomes spider-man for the day
FIFTY-SIX| a pediatric dose goes a long way
FIFTY-SEVEN| don't drive high

ONE| the life of a pogue

1.2K 23 92
By harringtonssss

EDEN'S eyes fluttered open, sunlight washing over her dazed face, making her eyes squint.   She blinked slowly before squinting them again, waiting a moment for the sunlight to pass over her, before fully, but lazily, opening them.

Morning already. 

Her brows creased together as she tried to remember where she actually was.  With the amount of sunlight pouring into her face, it must be John B's.  Why else would she hear a rooster crowing, or the soft breathing of—who she could only assume to be—JJ.

That had been a problem ever since she got comfortable in John B's home—forgetting where she'd spent the night.  It was actually getting her in a lot of trouble from her own parents.  Eden would leave without warning, and wouldn't make a show until two days later.   Sure, when she said it out loud, it did sound bad.   Who would want their parents to worry like that?  

Eden Bexley, that's who.  But, it wasn't entirely her fault that her parents were worried about her wherabouts.  They should know better by now.  If she wasn't at her own house, she was hanging at the beach, or at Kie's family restaurant, or at John B's—like she was now.  It's not like she was ever in harms way—okay, maybe if JJ did something risky, she could be—but, 99% of the time, she was perfectly safe with the Pogues.

Eden lazily turned her head, slowly tapping her phone screen with her fingers to reveal the time.  8:55.   Her eyes then landed on the missed call's from her mother, trailing all the way back to  3am.   She slightly groaned, grabbing her phone and pulling up her mother's contact.  These calls would last until she came home if she didn't give her mom some sort of closure.

Except, she couldn't call.  According to the lack of function, there was no service available at the moment. That's when Eden suddenly recalled the Hurricane—Agatha, wasn't it?—that had taken place overnight.  She'd been so high, and so tired, she must have totally blacked out.

"Shit." she muttered, rolling her head back towards the side.  She let out a sigh, slowly sitting up, making sure not to bump against the blonde boy sleeping next to her.  If there wasn't any signal, she wouldn't be able to call her mom.  Perfect.

A low, and tired sounding voice sounded from behind her. "G'morning, Ed."  John B. appeared, looking ever so tired, and slightly annoyed.   Eden looked up at her long time friend, giving a small smile as he passed by her over to the blonde boy.  "Sleep okay with the storm?"

"Sup, JB. I actually didn't even realize it happened." Eden yawned slightly, grabbing her phone and standing up.  "She must have hit hard, though,—" She held her phone up for reference, "—no service."

"Is your mom going frantic yet?" he asked, running a hand through his slightly messy hair. 

"Oh, she's called over twenty times since I fell asleep." 

John B. then slapped the blonde boy on the ass, trying to see if he was actually up or not. "Yo, JJ, you been outside?"

"I have polio, bro. I can't walk." JJ muttered in response, eyes still closed as if he was trying to savor as much sleep as he possibly could with the—slightly less—amount of sun filtering in. He'd gotten the better spot on the couch, anyway. The one closest to the door that didn't allow as much window sun in.

John B. rolled his eyes, walking out to his front yard to get a good view of what damage Agatha had done to everything.  As his eyes met the sight of his boat—the HMS Pogue—buried among branches and bushes, he let own a small sigh. "Oh, man.  That's no good.  That is not good."

Hearing his disappointed words, Eden finally got up, making sure to give JJ a good slap on the shoulder before she followed after John B., her eyes scanning over the property.   It was covered with debris, branches and lots of uprooted trees.  More work for them to clean up later.

"Wow." Eden nodded, puckering her lips slightly.  "Agatha is a bitch."

"Agatha did some work, huh?" JJ brushed past Eden, taking a spot on the top step, eyeing up the messed up yard. 

"Yeah she did."

"Good morning, JJ." Eden softly smiled at the blonde boy, though her tone was rather mocking.  In response, JJ turned to her and let out a burp causing the girl to close her eyes and grimaced. "Gross."

JJ left the stairs after that, walking over to the brunette boy. "What are you thinkin'?"

"I'm thinkin' that storm surge pushed all the crabs out on the marsh maze." John B. responded, beginning to grab branches out from the boat.  Eden descended down the stairs, making her way over to the boys.  The least she could do was help John B. clean up his boat, and his yard for that matter.  "All the drum are gonna chase the crab."

"What about the DCS? Wasn't that today."  JJ brows furrowed together, eyeing John B.

"Oh, that is today." Eden frowned, "I mean, the offers still up.  I'm sure my parents would hate it, but, I can't let you go to foster care." Before DCS' arrival, Eden had offered for John to stay at her own house until his uncle returned—if that ever happened—despite her parents disliking for the boy. She couldn't let her friend sit in foster care, that was for sure.

"Nah, they're not getting on a ferry." John B. responded to both his friends, tossing a branch from his boat.  He then looked a JJ, "Come on, think about.  It's God telling us to fish." He used a branch to point towards the sky.

"Hell yeah." JJ muttered with a smile, before turning to look at Eden, pouted lip as if he was gonna cry.  John B. gave a smirk tilting his head as he waited for the girls answer.   She tapped her chin as if she had to think about it.  Of course she'd go fishing, she just liked to mess with them.

"Okay, okay.  Let's clean this thing out." Eden smiled, beginning to grab branches from the boat.  The two boys smiled aswell before joining her, JJ giving a small groan to express just how much he enjoyed the task.

It took about 30 minutes to clear the boat and get it in the water, but after that, they were on a roll.    With John B. driving, JJ stood in the front, pointing out all the boats and what they looked like.  Eden was sitting on the edge, with the usual bracelet kit in front of her.  At the moment, she was working on a new one for Kie—as she'd asked. 

"Sure hope Guffy's boat didn't sink." JJ mentioned, watching as they neared the deck, getting closer to Heyward's house. "He doesn't have insurance."

"Yeah."

"Hello, Miss Amy!" Eden glanced up from her bracelet, giving a small wave and smile to the familiar woman tending to her boat.  The woman waved back and Eden added, "Agatha treat you well?"

"Still here." the woman responded, smiling.

After passing the woman and her partner, JJ smugly spoke. "She totally looked at me."

"I saw it." John B. agreed, causing the brunette girl near them to roll her eyes a sigh, looking up from Kie's bracelet again.

"She wasn't looking at you dipshit." Her eyes met JJ's, and he placed a hand at his heart as if he was offended at the nickname. "I was the one talking to her."

"So?" JJ answered, tossing his hands up. "She was looking at me.  Just because you were talking doesn't mean she has to be looking at you.  It's not like you were doing anything special, anyway. Just making bracelets."

"And I make money from it.  What do you get from your lies?" Eden raised a brow at him,  returning back to work on the bracelet.  Her eyes then caught a piece of trash floating right past her, causing her to frown. "Agatha's ruining the ocean, that's for sure."

"Agatha, what did you do?" JJ spoke, looking around the deck.  There was trash and debris everywhere and it would take forever to return the deck back to it's normal neat self.  Eden would probably end up helping with it.

"She is a crazy lady."

"We'll be cleaning this all Summer."

"That is my nightmare."

The HMS Pogue then pulled up to Heyward's deck, and Eden looked up at the sudden slowing.  Pope was hosing off some bucket, definitely on his father's orders.   He seemed rather annoyed as he sat in the hot sun.  Perfect opportunity for his friends to appear and sweep him away from his father.

"Well, look who we have here." John B. spoke in an accent as JJ whooped with excitement.  Pope looked at his friends, giving an unimpressed look as he started hosing off the wood deck he was on.

"Morning, bubs." Eden looked up at her friend as they came closer to the boat.  Pope was the smart one of the group, the one most likely to actually have a good career and make the big bucks. 

"We have a safety meeting. Attendance mandatory." John B. cupped his hands around his mouth, causing his voice to boom as he spoke like he was speaking into a radio, mimicking static afterwards.

"I can't. My pops got me on lockdown." Pope responded, looking disappointed.

"Come on, man."

JJ mimicked the static sound as well, bringing a hand to his mouth like he was speaking into a radio.  "Your dad's a pussy.  Over."

As if he'd been listening in the whole time, Heyward walked on to the deck, an unimpressed and annoyed expression on his face.  He didn't like Eden, John and JJ much, didn't think they were much good for his son. "Oh, I heard that, you little bastard."

"We need your boy, Pops." Eden looked up at the older man, a pleading expression on her face. 

"Yeah, and island rules— " JJ went on, trying to make up some lame excuse for why Pope was necessary on this fishing trip.  He was a part of the Pogues; he needed to be here whether his father liked it or not. "—day after hurricane's a free day."

"Who the hell made that up?" Heyward was unconvinced with his words, and gave him a look, not wanting to let his son go.

"Uh....Pentagon I think." Eden rolled her eyes at JJ's words, knowing Heyward wouldn't believe a word that spewed out of the blonde's mouth—and Eden could admit, there was a good reason not too.  He went on, trying to annoy the man into a compromise, "We have security clearance.  I have a card."

"Do ya'll think I'm stupid?—"

"I'll do it tomorrow. I promise. Tomorrow." Pope spoke up, looking between the HMS Pogue and his father. 

"No, no, no."  Heyward narrowed his eyes at his son, shaking his head. "Hell no. You doin' it right now."

"Get in the boat." John B. whispered, his friends muttering the same words.

"Make a run for it, bro. Make a run for it!"

"Hurry up, bubs." Eden gestured for him to join them with her hand, eyeing Heyward to make sure he hadn't seen the small movement.  Pope gave his father an apologetic look before making a guilty look and bolting for the HMS Pogue, his father yelling from behind.

"Boy, if you get in that boat—"

Once Pope hopped in, he quickly urged the brunette boy to speed up and get going before his father snatched him back. "Go, go, go."

"Bring your ass back up here!" Heyward yelled.

"I promise I'll do it tomorrow, Dad." Pope gave an apologetic and pleading voice towards his dad, watching as the man grew further away as the boat sped up at his words. "I promise!"

Heyward was pissed as he kept yelling at his son, watching as they drove away with Pope sitting in the boat.  "You gonna clean shrimp, you gonna clean fish, you'll clean your dirty ass room!"

"We'll bring him back in one piece, I promise!" John B. yelled, turning to look at the older man with a small smile, waving as he watched the man frown in annoyance. 

"I'll make you a bracelet, Pops!" Eden called, knowing he didn't care about her stupid bracelets but, worth a shot to get him less angry, right?  It was also worth a shot to see his frustrated sigh as he looked at her.

"And I don't like your friends!"

"Not even me, Heyward?" Eden called back, smirking as she man narrowed his eyes at her. She wasn't quite sure who was at the bottom of his 'Which Pogue I hate most' list.  JJ, John. B and herself were all rather annoying. 

"Not even you! Sons of bitches..."

Eden let out a laugh and leaned back in the boat, resting her head against JJ's side.  She messed around with Kie's bracelet in her hands, waiting for them to pull up to the deck that belonged to her.

And, within a few minutes, they were.  She was walking towards them, cooler in hand, a smile on her face as they appeared.  "Oh, top o' the mornin' to ya."

"Good morning, boys."  Kiara then smiled at Eden, "Good morning, Eden."

"Whatcha got? You got some juice boxes." Pope asked, noticing the small cooler she held in her hand.

"You know, just some yogurts and carrot sticks." Kie said in a sweet tone, standing at the edge of the dock, awaiting JJ's helping hand. 

"How about my kind of juicebox?" JJ asked, holding out his hand for support.  Kie muttered a small, 'yeah', before making her way onto the boat, placing the cooler down next to the other girl on the boat.

"Brace for impact."

The five of them each grabbed a beverage—beer, to be more specific—and began to drink together, admiring the early morning of Outer Banks.  John B. turned up the engine, causing them to tread slightly faster through the waters. 

"Here, Kie." Eden handed over the bracelet, taking a swig afterwards as the girl smiled, admiring the small piece of jewelry.  The Pogues always got excited always the little things in life, but,  maybe that was because most of them were on the poorer side of life.

"I love it Eds!" Kiara handed JJ her beer, sliding the bracelet upon her wrist and admiring the way it popped.  She smiled again, looking at the brunette girl.  "Thanks."

JJ took a swig from Kie's drink, causing the girl to grab it back rather forcefully.  JJ rolled his eyes, looking back at Eden. "So where's mine?"

"I already made you one, J." Eden knew he was talking about a bracelet, and gave him a small look at how dramatic he was getting. In the beginning, Eden had made each Pogue a special bracelet, including herself, and they used it as a sign of their friendship.  They all wore them daily...it was probably a rule to have it on at this point.

"So? Kie already has, like, five, and you only made me one." the blonde exclaimed, gesturing to Kiara's bracelet filled wrists with his non-beverage holding hand.  Eden rolled her eyes again, trying to stay as serious as possible.

"I've made you like three, but okay.  Plus, I like Kie more." She shrugged, causing JJ to scoff and turn away from the brunette as if he was upset by her words.  Eden softly laughed, taking another drink and the boat sped up yet again.  

After a few more minutes of speeding through the waters, JJ stood up, raising a brow at Eden.  He smirked smugly,  "Tell the world—Let me show you a party trick."

"Terrifying." Kiara muttered, looking at Eden with an unimpressed look.

"Hey, Pope. Can you go a little faster, please?"  All four looked at each other with those words, beginning to grab there things and shuffle towards the back of the boat to get out of the splash zone. 

"Here we go, I'm moving." John B. muttered, moving away. "It doesn't work.  We've tried this, like, 6,000 times."

"I got this. It's gonna work." JJ defended himself, taking his position.

"J, you owe me twenty if this fails." Eden calls out, knowing she was about to get herself an easy twenty bucks from this failed attempt.  No matter how many times he did this stunt on the boat, he never managed to actually get it right.

"You're on, Bexley." JJ smirked before stepping one foot on the boat's edge to prop himself up at a slight angle.  He then tipped his head back, allowing the alcohol to flow  into his mouth—well, actually a little away from his mouth, as Kiara and Eden both began to complain.

"You're getting beer in my hair!" 

"I think you owe me twenty just for that." Eden muttered, placing a hand in front of her face so she could deflect the drops of alcohol coming her way.  

"Oh my god." Pope spoke up, rolling his eyes.  He put a hand in front of his face, "All right. All right!"

But, JJ didn't listen.  He kept on going, causing Pope and John B. to continue yelling at him to get down, and drink normally. "All right, you're done."

"All right, stop!"

Eden was about to yank him down from the tip when the boat came to an abrupt stop, sending everyone lurching forward, as if they'd gotten into a car accident.  John B., Pope, Kie and Eden all fell to the bottom of the boat, watching as JJ flipped—more like flew un-gracefully—into the water.

"What the hell was that, Pope?" Eden groaned, putting a hand to her head as a wave of pain ran through it—from hitting it upon something along the boat.  Everyone situated themselves back, groaning in pain.  Eden took the moment to get to the edge, looking in the water for the blonde boy.  She then turned back to Pope, "I think you killed JJ, man."

Right after her words, the boy resurfaced, groaning and breathing rather heavily from the sudden impact.  He was on his back, eyes closed.   Eden almost laughed at the sight, but instead asked. "How was the fall, J?"

"I think my heels touched the back of my head." JJ breathed.

"You owe me twenty, by the way." Eden pushed herself away from the edge, with a small smirk, joining the rest of the group again, who were still tossed around the boat.  Eden walked over to John B., holding out her hand to help. "You good, JB?"

"Yep, never better." John groaned.

"Kie, Pope?"

"Yup."

"I'm alright."

JJ slightly opened his eyes, floating closer to the boat. "Pope, what did you do?"

"Sandbar." Pope answered, walking towards the edge to see what had changed. "The channel changed."

"No shit." the blonde boy responded, finally putting in the effort to swim back towards the boat.  Eden held out a hand, waiting for him to get close enough to use it.  Her eyes trailed down to the bottom of the boat, noticing her bracelet kit had made it's way to the other end of the boat at impact.

"Ugh, this is probably gonna mess this whole place up." John B. took a seat at the edge of the boat, a displeased look taking over his features.  Eden put a hand on her hip, getting impatient with how long it was taking the blonde to get is ass to her.  She then realized he'd stopped swimming her way, and to a beer bottle instead.

"Hey, I saved the beer, though."

"Congrats, JJ." John B. sighed, watching the blondes small celebration after his moment of failure.

"That probably tastes like shit now, J. I wouldn't drink it." Eden muttered, pulling her hand away as she realized the boy wasn't coming back to the boat anytime soon.   She ran in through her hair, rolling her eyes as JJ eyed her, placing the bottle to his lips as if he was about to drink it.  "Unless you want to get, like, kidney failure or something."

"Guys...I think there's a boat down there." Pope spoke up, a serious look on his face as he looked out in the water.

"Shut up. What?"

"Now way."

Pope pointed towards the water, a little further than JJ, and shook his head, showing that he wasn't playing games with the group. "No, no, guys.  I'm serious."  He sounded oddly worried, "There's a boat down there."  He walked closer to the edge, pointing. "For real?"

"Hell, Pope, you're right." Eden narrowed her eyes as she slightly saw the faint figure her friend was trying to point out.  John B. and Kie joined her, eyes peering towards where Pope was pointing.  "There's a boat."

"Holy shit, yeah. Let's go." Kiara muttered after a moment, beginning to unbutton her jeans shorts rather quickly.  Eden followed, pulling her shirt over her head, tossing it right by her bracelet kit.  She then pulled off her shorts, throwing them next to her shirt.   

"You think there's a dead body down there?" The inner coroner in Pope was definitely showing with his tone of excitement, eyes drawn to the boat eagerly.   John B. jumped in, splashing Eden and the other two teens as he did.

Eden patted Pope on the shoulder, giving a small smile. "Your inner coroner's coming out, bubs."   She sat on the edge and grabbed John B.'s hand—which he'd so kindly put out to help her get in—and lightly slid in, Kiara jumping right after her.

"Guys, wait up!" Pope yelled, quickly tossing off his shoes, shirt and hat.

"Get your ass in here, Pope!"

Once Pope had jumped in, the five of them all looked at each other, and Eden gave a small shrug. "Good luck, I guess."  She sucked in a breath and went down, feeling the water as it hit every inch of her skin.  The water was rather murky, and it was hard to see anything clearly, but Eden could still make out the shape of the boat—a rather nice and expensive looking boat—and followed the others down to it. 

But, their little peek inside didn't last long, as Eden and the others all popped back up for air moments after glimpsing at the inside.  JJ looked at his friends, breathless from the dive as he spoke, "You guys saw that, right?"

"If you mean an expensive and definitely kook boat, then hell yeah, J!" Eden exclaimed, running a hand through her wet and matted hair.  All five of them exchanged shocked looks, giving laughs at their fishing find.

"That's a Grady-White." JJ pointed out as they all swam in sync back to the boat. "A new one of those is like, 500 Gs, easy."  He propped himself on top of the boat, the others doing the same thing around him. "That's a primo rig."

John B.'s face suddenly got serious, "Yeah. That's the boat that I saw when I surfed the surge."  He looked at the other four, both girls with a more concerned look, the blonde with an amused one plastered on his face.

"Maybe it hit the jetty or something."

"You surfed the surge?" Kiara asked, looking at Eden to see if she had any idea John was idiot enough to do it.  As far as Eden knew, surfing during a storm was a terrible idea, let alone a hurricane.  But, John B, seemed far from concerned about the consequences he could have faced—electrocution, drowning—and so did JJ as he begun a handshake with his friends.

"That's my boy. Pogue style."

"I'm waiting for the day you get electrocuted, JB." Eden sighed, looking over at the boy.  The girl was usually chill, laid back.  She didn't care what the boys did, but, John B.  surfing the surge? That could have easily ended with him dead.  When her friends could have gotten hurt, she stepped in to scold.  "You easily could have in those waves, or done worse."

"What the heck?" Kie exclaimed, giving him a small look.  She was with Eden on this one.  John B. could have drowned, cracked his head open, been wiped out and stranded somewhere, or anything along those lines.  And like Eden, Kiara cared about her friends safety.

John B. rubbed the back of his neck, awkwardly looking at his two friends.  Whenever he did something like this, they gave him this one look.  It always made him feel terrible, like he was a child being punished by his parents.

"Wait, wait." Pope spoke back up, ending the topic on John B.'s surfing adventure the night before, and any tension that had grown with it. "Do we know whose boat that is?"

"No,— John B. replied, squatting down to grab the anchor from its hold. "—but we're about to find out." 

"Dude, it's too deep." JJ responded as he watched John B. pull the anchor out,  for once disagreeing with his friend. 

"Oh, for the weak and feeble, JJ." he groaned, placing the anchor beside him. 

"Well, I'm not resuscitating you. I'm just making that clear up front."

"That's fine, I'm sure Eden will."

"John B...." Kiara trailed off, giving him a worried look.  She didn't want him to go down, that was obvious, but she seemed different when she spoke.  Her eyes were soft, as she stared him down as if she was feeling something different.   Eden noticed it as she looked between the two's silent interaction.

"What?"

"Well..." Eden trailed off, noticing how the boat had gotten oddly silent for a moment.  Sure she sucked at diving, but if John B. going was getting Kie worried, then Eden would just have to go herself. "This is getting awkward.  How about I go?"

"Ed, I've known you long enough to know you literally suck at diving."  John B. replied, giving her a small look.  She challenged it back, crossing her arms as he spoke next. "You're not going."

"Why not? Just because I'm a sucky diver does not mean I can't go down for a few minutes and take a peek."  Eden countered.

"You'd probably end up drowning because your bracelets got caught on a piece of seaweed. "

"That's such a shit reason." she responded.

"I second that.  I can't let you drown, I still need that bracelet." JJ stepped in, pointing towards the girl.  She sighed, rolling her eyes as she stepped back.  She tried.

"Thanks, J."  John B. responded, picking up the anchor so he would sink down to the bottom without losing too much air swimming himself.   He looked at Eden, giving a small salute as she rolled her eyes.

"Diver down, fool." Pope looked at his friend.

John B. barely had time to repeat the words before JJ rushed up, shoving him into the water before another word could be said.  "Yeah, he is." 

"Let's hope he got enough air." Eden muttered after a moment, taking a seat on the boat with a sigh.  She hoped allowing John B. to dive so far down was a good idea, even if it didn't seem like one.  Who knows? Maybe this was destiny pulling the Pogues into something much bigger.....or it was just a wrecked boat that had gotten caught in the storm.

The HMS Pogue was silent after that.  Even if the boys didn't want to admit it, even they were a little anxious for their friend, just as the girls were.  Eden and Kiara both sat at the edge, looking over for any sign of John B.  And, after a few minutes, Pope and JJ had joined them.  It had been long enough, where was he?

"Should we go get him?" Pope asked from above Eden's shoulder, looking at his four other friends for an answer.   Eden was about to answer, but was stopped when—as if Pope had summoned him—John B. came through the water, coughing as he wiped his eyes of water.

"Oh my god, that took forever." Kie spoke, relief washing over her face as she looked down at him.

"Any dead bodies?"

"Looting potential?"

"No. No." John B. breathed, lifting up his hand to reveal a key with a surfboard key chain dangling from his finger. "I found this motel key."

"A key." Pope deadpanned, any prior excitement leaving.  The group had been expecting something bigger and better, heck even something that could make them a little richer.  But, no.  A key.  Eden wasn't even sure why he bothered taking it.

"Yes, a key, Pope." John B. replied, moving closer to the boat. 

"Great." JJ muttered sarcastically, heaving the anchor back on to the boat.  "We salvaged a motel key."

John B. pushed himself back upon the boat, grabbing Eden's hand as he did.  He sat on the edge, allowing Pope to start the engine back up and begin their journey back to the coast.  Kiara spoke up, voice full of reason. "Guys, we should report the wreck to the coast guard.  Maybe we'll get a finders fee."

"Yeah, and not work all summer." JJ slightly smiled, "Thanks, Agatha, ya batch."

Eden slightly shook her head at his words and leaned her head back, sighing as the wind ran through her wet hair.  Living in Outer Banks was always a pleasure, even if she spent her days with these dumb asses.   She got to live life instead of going to a Kook academy, got to spend her days at sea instead of cleaning her rather large house.  It was worth it.

Soon enough, the group of five were at the coast.  They listened to Kiara's words and headed straight for the guards, or someone, anyone they could report this boat too.   But, it was rather crowded when they arrived with people complaining about some kind of problem.

The split up, with JJ and John B. going to one guard, Kie and Pope to another.  Eden found one as well, one that was just as busy as the other two.   He was trying to speak to some older woman, but Eden passed her to stand right next to him. "Excuse me, we uh—"

"One minute, please."

"This is important.  Me and my friends, we found a boat—"

"I said one minute!" the man looked over at her, before continuing on with the woman in front of him.  She bit her lip and nodded, before making her back out to the dock.  Turns out, every guard seemed to be occupied with something, leading them no where.

"Well, that went well." Pope spoke as the group all came together, having failed in mentioning the boat to the guards. "So, what's the plan?"

John B. started shaking the key in his hand, "I know how we're gonna find the guy who owns that boat."

"We're seriously going to break into the room?" Eden asked, looking over at John B.  Seemed a little risky in her opinion, but she supposed it was their last option at finding out who owned the Grady-White.

"Well, it's technically not breaking in if we have the key." JJ responded quietly, causing Eden to slap his shoulder in annoyance.

"Smart ass." Eden muttered before continuing on with her words, "That room could belong to a serial killer for all we know."

"Eds is right." Pope agreed.

"Well, there's only one way to find out." JJ responded, "I'm in."

John B. tossed Kiara the keys, who smiled over at Eden. "Come on, I'll be lookout."

As the two teens began to walk away, John B. wrapped an arm around Eden's shoulder, tilting his head slightly. "Partners in crime?"

"Fine, but if we get in trouble, I am not getting roped in with your asses." Eden sighed, slightly smiling at the brunette boy.

"You're the best, Eden!" John B. replied, running off towards the blonde and brunette girls, leaving just Pope to be in on the idea.   He was still rather unsure, just like Eden had been, but she knew he'd tag along.

"Let's go, Bubs." Eden grabbed Pope's hand, following her three friends towards their boat.  It was all fun and games, why not join in on the fun? 

mara's misc!

chapter one is here, and it's a long one!

yeah, 5000 words is a record on a chapter for me i think but, i think it worked out okay. these episodes just have a lot of dialouge, and stay at a scene for so long that it ends up dragging over 4000 words. 

i hope you liked meeting eden and seeing her interact with the pogues, bc i sure did like writing them together.

hope you enjoyed <3 see you back with chapter 2

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82K 2.7K 11
"Do you like to draw? Because I put the D in Raw."
378K 23.5K 135
You heard the title! Everything from Ciel getting a cavity to Sebastian singing Wrecking Ball! Now, hold onto your shorts because this is going to be...
28.4K 605 20
Is it really summer without Susannah Fisher? Emilia has always been "mom jr" according to her bothers and the summer crew, but after her mom dies sh...
4.7K 188 9
In another life, you still would've turned my head. OUTERBANKS / JJ MAYBANK X FEM OC 2023