Love is a choice (Benedict Br...

Par khaiyakoto

Nancy Griffiths, a young & beautiful woman with musical talents, came from a poor working class family from B... Plus

Prologue: Dearest Reader
1. A Chance Encounter
2. A Gentleman's Agreement
3. Visiting an Old Friend
4. The Game is Afoot
5. Lustful Desires
6. Windows to the Soul
7. Comforting a Diamond
8. Her Golden Hour
9. The Final String
10. Whiskey & Cigars
11. Insignificant Bloomsbury Child
12. All Alone
13. The Promise
15. Heads or Tails
16. One of you
17. A Mother's Love
18. The Final Ball
19. A Million Dreams
20. Love Is a Choice
Epilogue
Dearest reader

14. The Big Question

8.2K 253 54
Par khaiyakoto

Song: Iris by Brooklyn Duo

(There will be 2 POVs in this chapter... enjoy!)

- NANCY GRIFFITHS -

"Lady Danbury, Miss Griffiths." Viscount Bridgerton greets as we get off the carriage, with Kate standing next to him.

I stand before Aubrey Hall for the very first time, facing the entire Bridgerton family. I even spot Simon and his own little family at the very back.

It has been years since I last saw him.

"Viscount Bridgerton, Lady Bridgerton." I politely greet with curtsy.

"Miss Griffiths, it is so good to see you again." Kate takes my arm and immediately pulls me away from the crowd. "And please, call me Kate." She says, lowering her voice with a smile.

"Very well. Kate it is." I laugh most pleased at the viscountess' friendliness.

"Well, if it isn't Nancy Griffiths!" I hear an all too familiar voice call. A huge smile finds its way to my face as I see the Duke heading my way.

"Hastings!" I say before leading Kate to the infamous Duke of Hastings. "It is so good to see you again."

"Same to you. I was surprised to hear you returned from New York. I always thought you were planning on never returning." He jokes.

Besides Theo, Lady Danbury and Benedict, Simon is one of the few who knows I never wanted to come back to London. Especially not to get married.

"Lady Danbury thought it would be nice for me to join this season." I say with a lower voice, hinting at the fact that I did not come here by choice, but for Lady Danbury's sake.

Simon only nods understanding before we are joined by his wife and son. "Your Grace!" I say with a small bow.

"Nancy, I would like you to meet my wife Daphne and my son Augie." Simon introduces.

Simon did not lie in his letters. The Duchess is indeed a very beautiful woman and without even uttering a word, elegance truly shines through.

"Miss Griffiths, it is so nice to finally meet you. Simon has told me a lot about you." She says with a smile.

"All good things I hope." I joke to ease the nervousness I feel having to spend an entire week at the Bridgertons.

"Very much so. I can not wait to get to know the woman who has caught the eye of yet another brother of mine."

Yet another... I suppose she is referring to the viscount who married Kate last season.

"It seems to have become a yearly tradition, has it not dearest?" Lady Violet laughs locking her arm with her eldest daughter's.

It can not mean Benedict and I are bound to get married this season as well, right? Though it is not the worst thing to happen, it is at this very moment where I know I am not ready for it just yet.

"Oh, I think Augie's hungry." The Duchess says. "Excuse us."

And with that, Simon and Daphne both head inside with their child.

Knowing Simon, it is very strange to see him as a true family man. Honestly, he is the last person I imagined to ever marry- and be happy about it. As kids, I've seen him go through a lot, especially with the issues he had with his speech and his father. I am genuinely glad he has found the love he lacked in his life.

"Miss Griffiths," Kate calls. "Are you familiar with the game pall mall?"

"Now the rules are simple, Miss Griffiths. To win, you must be the first to hit your ball through each wicket and–"

"I do not think I am in need of an explanation for this game, Mr. Bridgerton." I say to Benedict who seems surprised at my cockiness.

To be truthful, I grew up playing pall mall when I was younger at the Danbury household. Alongside Simon, in fact. He never admitted it, but I beat him most of the time.

"As our special guest, you may pick your mallet first, Miss Griffiths." Colin announces.

Without even thinking about it for a second, I take the blue one. "No pink for the lady?" Benedict asks to infuriate me, but I know he only does it to affect my game.

"What about you? Wouldn't you rather be inside and doodle a bunch of disfigured hands?" I respond, causing a few to chuckle. Even Benedict seems entertained.

"Love her." I hear Eloise mutter to Kate behind me.

Everyone has picked their own mallet so we can finally begin the game.

"You go first, Miss Griffiths." The Viscount tells me.

Oh, I hope I still got it. The last time I played was before I left for New York.

Swinging my mallet, I hit it against the ball straight through the first wicket thus causing everyone to applaud. "Excellent shot, Miss Griffiths!" Colin compliments.

I make eye contact with Benedict who only grins at me proudly. "Alright, your turn, brother." Benedict tells Anthony.

It has been almost an hour I believe, and Benedict and I are tied to the last wicket with our balls next to each other. Surprisingly, the viscount and Kate are both out and headed inside to take care of a certain business.

...whatever that means.

It is my turn and I have two choices; either take the opportunity to get my ball through the last wicket or knock Benedict's ball far away.

If I attempt to get it through the last wicket and miss it, Benedict might be able to knock mine even further.

"Scared of losing, Miss Griffiths?" Benedict asks with a raised eyebrow.

I do not know whether his cocky remarks are utterly infuriating or very pleasant, but whatever it is out of the two, I enjoy seeing him this way; Careless from worries.

"Definitely not." I respond confidently before effortlessly hitting my ball straight through the final wicket, causing everyone to cheer.

"What a wonderful game!" Colin says. "Now, let us head back and get some rest before dinner."

Eloise follows her brother, leaving me and Benedict standing alone on the field with Lady Danbury and Lady Violet watching from afar of course.

"I must say, beating you is somewhat pleasing to me." I say to Benedict with a huge grin on my face. Benedict looks down at me and nods most satisfied as he leans a bit closer to me.

"Just wait until I get you all alone tonight." He whispers in my ear, leaving shivers down to my body before leans back again with an innocent smile.

"Let us join the rest, Miss Griffiths!" Benedict then loudly exclaims as he cheekily heads towards the house.

- BENEDICT BRIDGERTON -

All day, Nancy has been preoccupied with my other siblings that I haven't gotten the opportunity to get her all to myself. Eloise couldn't stop asking about Nancy's life of independence in New York and they continued to discuss the rights of women together with Kate. Afterwards, Gregory challenged Nancy to a game of chess and even though she did not admit it, I just know she let my youngest brother win. Even Anthony and Colin both had the audacity to steal her time and ask her about the business world in the Americas.

Now, Daphne and I watch from afar how Nancy teaches Hyacinth one of her compositions on the pianoforte. My youngest sister seem to have become very fond of her already.

"Miss Griffiths is truly wonderful, brother." Daphne compliments as she smiles at the sight of Hyacinth and Nancy laughing. "Graceful, intelligent and very kind..."

Something about my sister's tone tells me that there is a contradiction to be followed. "But?" I ask to initiate it.

Daphne sighs. "Forgive me if I am wrong, but from what I have heard from Simon, she is not one to love the idea of marriage.

Well the duke is not wrong. Whenever Nancy or someone else reminds me what type of person she is, I am also reminded of our deal, that all of this is only for pretend.

Nancy and I aren't in love.

"Well, I was the same. Anthony and your husband as well, sister. If there is anything to learn here, it is that people can change." I respond to not blow Nancy's cover.

"Now that you have mentioned it, the three of you were all very different before you met us ladies and compared to Anthony, you are much more warm-hearted and in touch with your feelings," Daphne rambles with a thinking face as she continues to list flattering qualities about me.

"–but do you love her?"

Suddenly, everything to me stops.

There have been times when I questioned myself whether I love Nancy or if we are just sleeping around, but it never quite got to the point when I've really had to ponder upon it let alone gotten asked about it so directly.

"Brother?" Daphne calls. "Are you alright?"

"Excuse me for a moment." I respond before leaving the living area.

It gets quiet in an instant as everyone watches me depart from the group.

"Benedict! Where are you going?" Daphne asks as she follows me to the study where I usually paint.

Has she always been this nosy?

"Can you stop following me?" I then ask as Daphne closes the door behind her.

"Can you stop walking away like I did something wrong?— All I asked you is if you are in love with Miss Griffiths. Surely, there is nothing wrong with that. After all, she might become your future wife–"

"No, she won't!" I loudly respond upset, leaving an tense silence roaming around the room.

Daphne frowns confused. "I- I do not understand. I thought the reason that you invited her here was to propose before the hearts and flowers ball. Why else would you invite her?"

I take a deep breath and let myself sink into the chair behind me.

"Because none of it is real." I mutter. "Nancy dislikes the ton and the idea of loveless courtship and marriage just I do, so I came up with the idea of the two of us pretending to fall in love so no one can ruin our lives and get ourselves trapped into a marriage we do not want to be in."

For the very first time, I have let someone in on our scandalous plan and I do not know whether to be relieved or concerned.

"So Miss Griffiths is not in love with you?" Daphne asks shocked.

"No."

"And you are not in love with her?"

I remain quiet.

The more I say regarding what I feel, the more it might damage whatever the future holds. Consequences are a result of our choices, as some say.

"It does not matter whether I love her or not. Once this season ends, she will leave London and continue her career as a composer." I respond with the attempt to appear unbothered.

Daphne scoffs disappointed and turns to leave, but from the corner of my eye I see her hesitantly standing by the doorframe.

"If there is anything we can learn from the past, it is to go for what it is your heart truly desires." She confidently says. "–and I hope whatever choices you make, Benedict, you choose to listen to your heart."

And with that, the duchess leaves.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

28.2K 1.2K 14
Grosvenor Square, 1813 Dearest reader, the time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Feathe...
45.3K 1.2K 17
𝐷𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑑𝑒𝑟𝑠, I have been sharping my quills in preparation for this years social season; which I ensure will be filled with as much...
34.5K 1.6K 18
If you were to ask anyone in the ton about the Lady with a Fan, even an errand boy could give you an answer. That's the name Anastasia Bridgerton had...
486K 15K 35
Witty, daring and with a secret knack for painting Frances Granville arrives at London with two convictions: one, that she is not interested in men...