Half a heart

By IngeLanting

Scarlet Marie Styles. Louis didn't know about her. Harry kept her a secret. Scarlet knows he left. Eight yea... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40 Epilogue
Chapter 41 Extended Epilogue (One Shot Sequel)

Chapter 15

847 27 10
By IngeLanting

They grow fast.

That's what Harry thinks as he watches Scarlet play with Sugar in the park in late January. There's snow on the ground and the two month old pup is loving it, she practically blends into the fluffy white stuff. Sugar is about double the size she was last month - so yeah - they definitely grow fast.

It's been a good month. The bakery has been busy, Scarlet's nearly done with her therapy on her knee, and Louis' still a constant presence in their lives. Harry wanted to say it was a surprise because he still didn't trust Louis one hundred percent but he can't really say that he isn't surprised either. Louis had sworn not to go anywhere - and he hasn't.

Scarlet's grown used to the older man being around whether it's at their flat, at the park, or at a restaurant, Louis is frequently there. Like right now, Louis is currently over at the coffee shop nearby getting tea for himself and Harry and a hot chocolate for Scarlet.

It must be nice, Harry thinks as he spots Louis walking back over with three cups in a carrying tray, to be able to just not go into work like Louis does. He keeps his cell phone on and attached to him when he doesn't go into work just in case they need him, but never lets the ringing of his phone interrupt his time with Scarlet or Harry. He's had to rush off a couple times when one of the bands or singers becomes too much for one of his employees to handle and even then normally he just has them put on the phone and threatens to drop them right then and there if they don't 'cut their shit and get to work'.

Sometimes it takes a lot for Harry not to burst out laughing when Louis assistant, Marina, calls him with an issue. The way Louis' ears start turning red when he's angry was always something that humoured Harry. He had always told Louis it was cute and the red from anger would suddenly become red from blushing - not that he could say that now, he still thought it.

"Scarlet, come on bug, your dads back with drinks." Harry called out as Louis came closer.

Scarlet looked over at Harry from where she was still playing in the snow with Sugar then picked up the small dog and walked over to the bench. Harry clipped Sugar's lead onto her collar and sat her on the bench next to him so she wasn't sitting in the snow.

"Alright!" Louis smiled as he stopped in front of them. "One hot chocolate with extra marshmallows our bug and one Yorkshire tea for her daddy." he said handing them their cups.

"Thanks Lou." Harry responded taking his cup, their fingers brushing. "Be careful bug, don't burn yourself." he warned as Scarlet lifted her cup to her mouth.

"So, were we done in the park? Did you want to head back to your flat now?" Louis questioned looking over at Harry once he was sat down on the other side of Scarlet.

"We can, yeah. The temperature is starting to drop, I don't want her to get sick again." Harry replied, giving one of Scarlet's curls a gentle tug.

She had gotten sick right after New Year's. Their families had returned from heir Disney trip so Harry insisted Louis go spend New Year's with his family while Harry took Scarlet to his own. They had had a great home cooked dinner thanks to Anne and then had just sat around until it was time for the countdown. Gemma had kept Caden inside out of the cold but Scarlet pleaded to go outside and watch fireworks. Harry had made her put on her heavy coat, scarf, beanie, and gloves and yet the very next day she had a stuffy nose and was sneezing and coughing with a low grade fever.

Louis had given Harry another reason to believe in him that day. He had text Harry asking how their New Year went and Harry had proceeded to tell him that Scarlet had gotten sick from being in the cold. An hour and a half later, Louis was at the flat with a bag of chicken noodle soup from a finer dining restaurant in London and two chicken caesar salads. Louis had pour some of the soup into a bowl, grabbed a spoon from the drawer, and set it down on the table in front of Scarlet who was wrapped in a blanket.

Once she had finished eating she wondered back to her bedroom and fell asleep with her white teddy bear tucked in next to her. Louis had cleaned up their lunch, shooing Harry away when he tried to help. He joined Harry on the sofa once he was done and Harry switched the TV to a channel playing the Spiderman movie. Eventually, Harry began to drift off and soon his head was resting on Louis' shoulder - he was asleep. Sometime later, Louis heard a weak call of 'daddy' come down the hall so he carefully moved Harry off his shoulder and hurried off to Scarlet's bedroom.

"What is it love?" Louis had questioned walking into her room, "Daddy's sleeping."

"Don't feel good." Scarlet had whimpered from where her head was peeking out under her cover.

"Oh bug... I'm so sorry." Louis had cooed, sitting down on the edge of the bed and brushing her hair out of her face with his fingers. "I wish I could make it better."

"Daddy always cuddles with me." Scarlet had responded with glazed over eyes.

"Would you like me to cuddle with you?" Louis had questioned quietly.

There had been a brief pause as Scarlet considered it then nodded her head slowly. Louis pulled back the covers and crawled into the bed. Scarlet curled up against his chest and Louis pulled the covers back around them to keep her warm. He held her close and pressed a few kisses to her hair before he heard her breathing even back out.

A couple hours later, that's how Harry had found them, his past love and their daughter, cuddled under the covers, sleeping soundly.

Once they finished their drinks, they threw their cup in the trash can near the bench. Harry handed Sugar to Scarlet to carry and then they walked over to Harry's SUV. Back at the flat, Harry set to work on making diner while Louis and Scarlet worked on drying Sugar off, her fur wet from the snow.

Thirty minutes later, Harry was building tacos and placing them on three plates. He placed the food on the table along with two glasses of tea and a glass of water for Scarlet then called for them to come eat. This was a normal occurrence as well, Louis eating over instead of eating at home. Louis would always go home with a smile because he rarely had to eat alone anymore and that was nice.

January 31st suddenly arrived and Louis was scrambling to find Harry something for his birthday which was the very next day. He finally decided to make a trip to the bakery and talk to Anne, hoping maybe she would have some idea of what to get Harry.

"Louis!" Katie greeted from her spot at the cash register.

Honestly, Louis couldn't believe Anne hadn't fired the flirty cashier. She flirted with him every single time he walked into the bakery even though she never received any response from him whatsoever.

"Hey. Is Anne here?" He questioned spotting Megan in the kitchen.

"Yeah, in her office or in the kitchen." Katie replied with a soft sigh, hoping it would make Louis question what was the matter.

But instead Louis nodded his thanks and hurried around the counter and into the kitchen. Megan didn't even look up from what she was doing, just pointed in the direction of Anne's office. He knocked on the partially closed door then walked in slowly.

"Oh hello Louis!" Anne greeted with a smile, looking up from her paperwork.

"Hi Anne." He smiled, sitting down in the chair in front of the desk.

"What can I do for you?" She questioned.

"Well, Harry's birthday is tomorrow and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to give him but I can't come up with anything. I was hoping maybe you'd have an idea?" Louis responded hopefully.

"Hmm..." Anne hummed thoughtfully. "Oh! I know! What did Harry always want on his birthday when he was younger that I would never let him have?"

"Uh... I think I remember him always asking for a kitten." Louis answered and Anne smiled.

"I think you have your answer." She said picking her pen back up.

"But what about the fact that Harry didn't even want Sugar?" Louis asked, remembering how he had to convince Harry to let him get the puppy.

"Oh darling, Harry will be thrilled. He's always wanted a cat, he never wanted a dog. He was probably hoping Scarlet would eventually change her mind and ask for a kitten. Trust me love, he won't be mad." Anne chuckled. "Now go, you don't have much time. Come back here in the afternoon and I'll have a small cake for you to take over to the flat with you."

"Okay, thanks Anne." Louis said standing up from the chair. "See you tomorrow."

"Bye dear." Anne responded then went back to her paperwork.

Louis wondered into six different pet shops until he found the perfect kitten. He didn't hesitate to purchase the kitten as soon as he saw it, knowing it was the one. Along with the kitten, he purchased a carrier, a collar, a pet bed, a blanket, food, a litter box, and litter before exiting the store with one of the employees helping him bring the things to his SUV.

On a second thought, he walked back into the pet shop, the kitten in its carrier and in his grip, and went over to the machine they had for ID tags. He selected one that was a small heart that had three green crystals on each side of the top curve of the heart and then a single green crystal at the bottom point. He carefully tapped in what he wanted the tag to say and then let the machine do its work. Soon he had the personalized tag in his wallet for safe keeping and with the carrier in hand, he headed back to his SUV and then home.

At his luxury flat, he set the carrier down then took the tag of the collar which he had grabbed before coming in. Louis carefully attached the personalized tag to the collar then pulled the little kitten out of the carrier and put it around it's small neck. The kitten gave a little mewl and Louis smiled fondly at the little thing - he'd never been huge on cats but he had to admit it was rather adorable.

The next afternoon he stopped by the bakery on his way over to Harry's and picked up the small cake that Anne had made. It was a simple marble cake (vanilla and chocolate) with chocolate frosting and piping and 'Happy Birthday Hazza' written in perfect script on the top in white.

Anne gave him the spare key to Harry's flat and Louis hurried out of the bakery after pecking her cheek. From the bakery he headed over to the flower shop where he had gotten Scarlet's sweet peas.

"Louis! What'll it be this time?" Aubrey greeted as Louis walked in.

"I'm thinking your best bouquet of red and white roses." Louis answered leaning against the counter.

"Oh! I've got the perfect one!" Aubrey smiled and hurried into the back room.

She returned a few moments carrying a bouquet of red and white roses in a vase that matched the colour of the red ones.

"What do you think?" She questioned setting the bouquet down.

"I think it's perfect." Louis smiled, pulling out his bank card and handing it to her.

Once he had paid and back in his SUV he made sure the flowers wouldn't fall over then headed off in the direction of his last stop before Harry's. He pulled up to the restaurant he had ordered food from for Harry's birthday since he figured Harry probably wouldn't appreciate having his kitchen caught on fire.

"Be right back again little one." He told the little kitten laying in its carrier then hurried into the restaurant.

With the hot food sitting on the seat he made his way over to Harry's and arrived with just enough time to spare. He had stopped by Niall' earlier and asked him if he could keep Scarlet there for the evening since he was preparing something for Harry's birthday. Niall hadn't been terribly thrilled about Louis showing up at his front door but agreed quietly before stepping aside and letting Louis talk to Scarlet.

Once he was sure she understood the plans for the evening and that she couldn't tell Harry about the plan, he kissed her forehead and left.

Louis brought everything in from his car and then set to work dishing out dinner onto some of Harry's nicer plates. He had put the kitten in the second bathroom, using the dog pin as a barrier so it couldn't move around the entire bathroom. He just hoped now the kitten would stay quiet until after they ate.

He had just placed the bouquet of roses in the middle of the table when he heard the front door open. Harry appeared a moment later with a small frown on his face, confused as to why he hadn't been allowed to pick up his daughter. The frown smoothed out into a look of surprise when he took in Louis standing next to the table dressed in black skinny jeans and a rich blue button up.

"Happy birthday Haz." Louis smiled.

Harry opened and closed his mouth a couple times then finally spoke, "Y-You didn't cook did you?"

Louis laughed and shook his head, "No... It's take out from one of my favourite restaurants so I really hope you like it... but no um your kitchen is still in one piece."

Harry chucked and set his phone, wallet, and keys down after stripping off his winter jacket. Louis grabbed the bottle of wine he had brought and popped it open as Harry sat down at the table. He poured some into their glasses then set it aside and sat down too.

The food looked delicious. They each had a bowl of shrimp scampi with angle cut pieces of French bread and small side salads with Italian dressing.

Harry picked up his fork and swirled it in the noodles before popping a bite into his mouth. Louis watched as Harry's eyes slipped shut and he hummed with delight.

"This is so good Lou." Harry said once he had swallowed.

"I'm glad you like it. They had the most delicious food I think." Louis smiled then dove into his own food, using the bread to push smaller noodles onto his fork.

As he ate, Harry observed the flowers in the middle of the table. He was just swallowing his last bite when he noticed a card attached to them and reached out for it.

_'Happy Birthday! Love, Louis'_

"They're for me..." Harry commented slowly looking from the flowers to Louis.

"Yeah." Louis confirmed, nodding his head.

"Thank you." Harry breathed out, suddenly feeling a bit emotional.

"Your welcome." Louis responded and Harry shook his head.

"No... like... thank you for everything. You've actually stuck around like you said you were going to and you've helped us out with the bills from Scarlet's accident and you've made her really happy as of late. That means a lot to me, seeing her happy." Harry said standing up from his seat, as did Louis. "And this was probably the most romantic birthday dinner I ever had, so thank you for that too, it was thoughtful."

"Hey now!" Louis whined teasingly. "I always did something romantic on your birthday, at least I tried to."

"Yeah I remember you thought it was a fabulous idea to go to the beach one time when it was beyond freezing just because you wanted to take me for a walk on the beach. We both got sick." Harry laughed, his eyes a little glazed over. "But seriously Louis, thank you."

Louis smiled softly at Harry and held out his arms to the now 27 year old. Harry went with a small smile, wrapping his arms around Louis' middle even though he was taller.

"How about you go cut a piece of cake for dessert and I go get your present?" Louis suggested pulling away.

"Okay." Harry nodded in agreement and went into the kitchen.

Louis hurried off to the second bathroom and opened the door to find the kitten snoozing with its little paws tucked under its body. He closed the door quietly and leaned over to pick up the cat. It gave a startled meow but settled against his chest as he stroked it's ears. He walked out to the end of the hall and peaked around to see Harry standing in the kitchen but facing his direction.

"Hey Harry?"

"Yeah?" Harry questioned.

"Close your eyes." Louis requested leaning against the wall.

"But Louis I wanna eat my cake." Harry pouted in reply.

"Harry. Close your damn eyes or I won't give you your present." Louis ordered from his spot in the hall, shaking his head at the little cat.

"Fine..." Harry sighed, dragging out the word.

Louis peaked around and saw Harry standing there with his eyes closed.

"No peaking." He said before walking over to stand next to Harry.

"Turn to your right. Okay stop."

"Are you ready?"

"Louis..." Harry whined tapping his foot impatiently.

Louis held the kitten with one hand under its front legs and the other under its bottom feet.

"Okay... open your eyes." Louis whispered.

Harry opened his eyes and gasped when he was met by a white male kitten with a little bit of creamy orange on its head. He slowly lifted his hands to take the little kitten and held it to his chest gently.

"Do you like him?" Louis questioned nervously, hoping Harry didn't reject the cat.

"Like him? Fuck Louis, I love him! He's so cute." Harry cooed as he scratched the kittens ears making him purr.

The tag on the collar caught his eye and he reached for it and read what it said.

_Happy 27th Birthday - To: Harry - From: Louis_

"Thank you Lou." Harry said reaching to pull Louis into a hug with one arm.

Louis curled one arm Harry's broad shoulders and let the other rest on his hip as he hugged him back, careful not to squish the little cat between them.

"What are you gonna name him?" Louis questioned once they had pulled away and moved to the living room.

"Oliver." Harry smiled as he cooed at the kitten in his lap on its back pawing at his fingers when he wiggled them.

"Sounds like you had this planned out." Louis teased reaching over to stroke Oliver's little tummy.

"I've wanted a cat since I was young Lou, of course I've been planning it." Harry replied giving Louis a playful glare.

Louis watched Harry for a few minutes playing with Oliver worrying his bottom lip between his teeth.

"Hey Harry?" Louis questioned quietly.

"Hmm?" Harry hummed, wiggling his fingers against the kittens tummy.

"I know that it's only been five months since we um started talking again but I was wondering if maybe you'd um like to go on a date? With me?" Louis asked, his voice shaking slightly.

"What?" Harry responded, looking over at Louis, giving him his full attention with wide green eyes.

"I - would you go on a date with me?" Louis questioned again. "I know it hasn't been that long since I came back... but I just... I really want us to have a second chance. I understand if you don't want to. I get if you never want to after how I treated you and ignored you but I can't just not try. I can't just keep going and not ask you to give us a second chance, even if you said no at least I will have asked."

"Louis... you're rambling." Harry said cutting him off with a small smile.

"Right. Sorry. I just..."

"Yes." Harry stated cutting him off again.

"What?" Louis asked looking up from his lap, his blue eyes shocked and his ears not believing what he just heard.

"Yes, I'll go on a date with you." Harry repeated, offering him a bigger smile.

Louis let out a relieved sigh and his lips pulled into a full smile.

"Thank you." He whispered as he reached over to push a curl off Harry's forehead. "Would you like me to go get Scarlet and Sugar from Niall's?"

"That'd be great. I'll go ahead and shower while you go get them. Thanks." Harry said already standing up with Oliver in his arms.

"Alright, see you in a bit. Oh, and I had Oliver in the second bathroom." Louis called as he grabbed his phone and keys and left.

"Hey love." Louis greeted when Niall led him into the living room of his flat.

"Where's daddy?" Scarlet questioned, curious as to why Harry wasn't picking her up.

"He's waiting at home for us. Ready to go?" Louis asked picking up Scarlet's backpack and holding out her winter coat.

Scarlet nodded her head and walked over to slide her arms into the coat as Louis held it. Once it was zipped and her beanie was on her head, Louis offered her his hand and she took it without hesitation.

"Thanks for watching her longer mate." Louis said looking over at Niall.

"No problem, did Harry enjoy whatever his surprise was?" Niall questioned.

"Yeah, it was just dinner, dessert, and his gift." Louis replied swinging his and Scarlet's hands back and forth.

"Which was?" Niall urged gesturing for Louis to tell him.

"What he wanted every year when we were little and Anne would never get him." Louis smiled, knowing Niall would catch on.

Niall actually chuckled and shook his head, "He'll love you forever now. Hope it gets along with Sugar."

"You think?" Louis questioned completely ignoring Niall's comment about Sugar. "You think he'll fall again?"

"Again? Louis, you're such an idiot... he never stopped." Niall responded before giving him a shove to make him go towards the door with Scarlet.

Before Louis could get another word in Niall had closed the door after wishing Scarlet a goodnight. Louis sighed, squeezed his daughters hand, and with Sugar on her lead, they walked out to the SUV. They're about five minutes from home when Scarlet spoke up from the backseat where she was contently petting Sugar.

"Dad?" She questioned looking at him by way of the rear view mirror.

"Yeah love?" Louis responded glancing back at her, letting her know she has his attention.

"What did you get daddy for his birthday?" Scarlet asked curiously.

"You'll see when you get home, but I think you'll like it too." Louis replied offering her a smile quickly before turning his attention back to the road as the snow got a little heavier.

When they go home, Scarlet carried Sugar to the flat while Louis carried her backpack. Louis used the key Anne had given him to unlock the door and swing it open. Scarlet set Sugar down then shrugged off her coat before moving into the living room, where as expected Harry was laying on the sofa with Oliver sitting on his stomach.

"A KITTEN!" Scarlet squealed hurrying over and dropping down next to the sofa.

"Isn't he cute? Your dad got him for me, his name's Oliver." Harry said reaching out to scratch the kittens chin making him purr.

After a while of messing with the kitten, Harry shooed Scarlet off to go take a shower and get ready for bed since it was getting late.

"I better be going too, have to be at work early tomorrow." Louis said stretching his arms over his head as he stood from the sofa.

"At least stay until you can say goodnight to her." Harry responded as he placed Oliver inside the small cage Louis had gotten for Sugar who now slept in her bed surrounded by her pin so she couldn't wonder.

So he did. Ten minutes later, Scarlet was walking back into the living room in a pair of black pyjama pants with a football on graphic on the hip along with a white t-shirt and a towel draped over her shoulders.

"Say goodnight to your dad, bug, he needs to head home now." Harry said placing Sugar into her bed.

"Night dad." Scarlet said walking over to hug Louis, something new she had started doing - giving him hugs.

"Night love." Louis replied bending down to kiss her forehead.

After pulling away, Scarlet sat down on the sofa so Harry could dry her hair and Louis gave Harry a quick hug.

"I'll text you the details of our date. Happy birthday again Haz." Louis whispered into Harry's ear then backed away.

Harry dried Scarlet's hair after Louis had left, a silly little smile present on his lips.

*~*

The date happened that Friday. Louis had gone to Niall in hopes of convincing him to watch Scarlet again but the Irish lad already had plans. So Louis did as Niall suggested and went to Liam and Sophia's house. It didn't take much convincing to get Sophia to agree since Liam wasn't home at the time.

So now, Louis found himself standing at Harry's flat door wishing the ground would swallow him whole because he's so damn nervous. It reminds him of their first date all those years ago. He had stuttered and stammered over his words just to ask Harry out and then had stood outside the Styles' home freaking out until Anne opened the door and gave him a questioning look before giving him a talking to.

Of course, tonight, Anne isn't there and it's Harry the answers the door looking absolutely gorgeous in his black slim fit trousers and white button up with black boots on his feet.

"Hi." Louis squeaked out once his eyes met Harry's again, after checking him out.

"Hey." Harry replied quietly with a little blush tinting his cheeks.

"Ready to go?" Louis asked clenching his keys tight in his hand.

"Yeah, let me just..." Harry trailed off, reaching for his black Burberry coat, something Louis had snuck into his closet one day after noticing Harry's other coat had seen better days.

He pulled it on and did up the buttons before stepping out of the flat and locking the door behind him. Harry turned, smiled, and nodded his head at Louis letting him know he was ready. The two walked out to Louis' SUV and climbed in, the vehicle cool inside since Louis had on a coat as well and didn't want to get sweaty.

"You look really nice." Louis complimented once they were on the road and heading towards the restaurant.

"Thanks, so do you." Harry replied, blushing again, and glancing over at Louis who had on a pair of similar trousers with a baby blue button up and a grey Burberry coat.

"Thanks." Louis smiled, feeling the silence between them become comfortable.

"So, where are we going?" Harry questioned once they got into London.

"Bel Canto." Louis answered stopping at a traffic light.

"Um isn't that that fine dining French restaurant with the singers?" Harry asked, knowing from Liam that it was a pricey place.

"It is. Is that alright? French? We can go somewhere else..." Louis stumbled over his words as he continued down the road.

"No, no it's fine it's just... Liam took Sophia there for her birthday and he said it was really pricey." Harry replied flicking a piece of lint of his trousers.

"Haz... money is no object for me, I want to spoil you and make it the best second first date ever." Louis said slowing for another traffic signal. "But, if it makes you uncomfortable, we can go somewhere else, I don't mind, whatever you want."

Harry looked over at Louis and blinked a few times. Louis wants to spoil him and make it the best second first date ever.

"It's fine, it sounds wonderful, really." He finally responded giving Louis a small smile.

"Alright." Louis stated quietly with a nod of his head.

Soon enough they arrived at the Bel Canto Restaurant and Louis motioned for Harry to wait a moment while he hurried around the vehicle to open Harry's door. Harry slid out of the SUV with yet another pale blush on his cheeks. Louis locked the doors then they walked over to the restaurant entrance, staying close to each other in the cold, snowy weather.

Louis opened the door and ushered Harry into the restaurant with a hand on the small of his back. A young hostess was greeting them immediately as they took off their coats.

"Good evening sirs. Do you have a reservation?" the young woman, Molly, questioned.

"We do, under Tomlinson for 8 o'clock." Louis responded, his hand falling to the small of Harry's back again.

"Yes sir, right this way." Molly said, picking up two menus.

She led them over to a table set for two and placed their menus down.

"Valerie will be with you in a moment, enjoy." She smiled and then hurried back to her spot.

They had enough time to look over the wine list before Valerie came walking up with a smile.

"Hello gentlemen, my name is Valerie and I'll be taking care of you tonight! Can I start you off with a drink?" Valerie questioned.

"A bottle of Pinot Grigio please." Louis ordered since they had agreed on the same wine.

"Excellent! Would you like an appetizer?" She asked jotting down their drinks.

Louis looked over at Harry who glanced down at the menu then at Louis with a questioning look. Louis nodded, already set on giving Harry whatever he wanted.

"The garlic bread, please." Harry replied quietly.

"Great, I'll be right back." Valerie smiled then walked away.

"So, what looks good to you love?" Louis questioned, the term of endearment slipping from his lips.

"I - um -" Harry stumbled, caught off guard for a moment by the endearment. "The rainbow trout sounds good. What about you?"

"I'm thinking the pork cheek." Louis responded.

"Why because it has carrots?" Harry teased lightly, giving Louis a cheek smile.

"You will never let me live that down will you?" Louis sighed, shaking his head remembering when they were young and he had proclaimed his love for a carrot just to make Harry laugh one day when he had been upset.

"Never. You were 17 Lou... and you proclaimed your love for a carrot." Harry said, his voice filled with humour. "But it did make me feel better, so thanks for that."

Then it was Louis turn to blush some. Yeah he had been 17 years old when that had happened but all he had wanted to do was make Harry laugh after some dumbass had called him a fag at school. He and Harry had been dating just under a year at that time and it had broken his heart to see his 16 year old boyfriend so upset. He had been determined to make him smile, so he had grabbed a carrot from the fridge and proceeded to proclaim his love for it. And Harry smiled.

"Of course... I just wanted to make you smile." Louis replied then leaned back so Valerie could place their garlic bread on the table as well as pour the wine into their glasses.

"Do you need more time?" She questioned settling Harry's glass back down.

"No, I think we're ready." Louis answered as Valerie pulled out her writing pad. "I'll have the pork cheek with a mixed leaf salad on the side please."

"And for you?" Valerie asked, turning to Harry.

"The rainbow trout with a side of mixed vegetables please." Harry answered handing over his menu once she finished writing.

"Great, that'll be out shortly, enjoy!" She smiled and then left.

"How have you been enjoying Oliver's company?" Louis questioned since he hadn't been to the flat since Harry's birthday.

"I'm loving it. He's so playful and he just keeps going." Harry smiled brightly thinking of the little white and creamy orange kitten.

"How's Sugar liking him?" Louis chuckled remembering how before he had left that night Sugar had taken a look at the kitten then started yapping at him.

"She's warming up to him already I think. When she gets too close he gives her a slap on the nose." Harry laughed softly.

"Showing her who's in charge already! You'll have your hands full with that one." Louis laughed along with Harry.

"Probably, but really Louis, thanks for remembering that I had wanted a cat. It meant a lot." Harry stated seriously.

"Haz, I remember everything you ever told me. I clung to everything you told me, all your wants are still stored away from back then." Louis said giving his ex-boyfriend a fond smile.

Their conversation lapsed into what Harry was planning for Scarlet's birthday which was coming up the following month and would be there before they knew it. He told Louis about his intention to take her to Disney since they didn't go for Christmas and Louis immediately jumped in saying he would help pay for the trip or pay for it all, whatever Harry wanted.

Soon enough their food was in front of them and everything looked absolutely incredible and cooked to perfection. They chatted in between bites of mouth-watering food, laughing and enjoying themselves as was everyone around them.

With their main dish plates taken up, Valerie returned with their orders of Panna Cotta with fresh strawberries and mint. Louis paid their bill once they were done and left a more than generous tip since they were leaving before the entertainment started, neither of them fans of opera singing.

They stopped by Liam's on the way back and picked up Scarlet and Sugar. Scarlet was quiet on the ride home, sleepy from playing at the park Liam and Sophia had taken her to.

"Take a quick bath then head off to bed, I'll be there soon." Harry said ushering Scarlet into the flat then moving to put Sugar in her pin. "I had a really great time." He turned back to face Louis.

"Me too. How about a second date sometime soon?" Louis questioned hopefully. "Anywhere you want to go, your pick."

"Yeah, yeah okay." Harry replied quietly, nodding his head.

"Good, I'll text you when and you text me where?" Louis inquired, moving slowly to curl an arm around Harry's waist, pulling him into a hug.

One of Harry's arms went around Louis' waist while the other went around his shoulders, melting into the embrace.

"Sounds good to me." He responded with his chin hooked over Louis' shoulder.

Louis hugged Harry tightly for a moment and then loosened his hold to pull back. In the sweetness of the moment he pressed his lips to Harry's cheek softly for a moment before pulling away completely.

"Goodnight Haz." Louis bid him quietly.

"Goodnight Lou." Harry replied, voice low and soft.

Once Louis was gone, Harry locked the door then went to check on Scarlet. She was just crawling into bed, her hair dry since she hadn't washed it, an option Harry gave her when she was barely able to keep her eyes open - telling her she could do it in the morning.

"Did you have fun at Uncle Liam's and Aunt Sophia's sweetheart?" Harry questioned, sitting down on the edge of her bed.

"Mhmm, took me to the park and we had tacos for dinner." Scarlet replied sleepily, cuddling into her blankets with her teddy bear.

"Goodnight baby girl." Harry cooed softly as Scarlet's eyes drooped.

"Night daddy. Love you..." Scarlet trailed off as she drifted to sleep.

"I love you too." Harry whispered, leaning down to kiss her forehead before heading off to his bedroom.

He stripped off his clothes, took a quick shower, then pulled on a pair of black boxers and navy blue sleep pants. With his hair towel dried he wondered into the kitchen and fixed himself a cup of tea. He sipped the steaming beverage slowly and thought about his and Louis' date. It had been wonderful and rather romantic even though they didn't stay for the singing, which was okay with him. It had been great just to sit down alone with Louis on a date again, he missed their dates from back when they were together.

Rinsing out his cup once it was empty, Harry headed back to his bathroom. He brushed his teeth then fell into bed with a soft thud and closed his eyes.

All in all... he hadn't forgiven Louis yet and he didn't know where these dates might take them, but he couldn't wait to find out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.8K 735 6
harry styles was 18 when he had a one night stand with famous singer louis tomlinson. he never saw him again after, and found himself pregnant with l...
14.8K 474 17
Louis and harry met and fell in love when harry was 13 years and louis was 12 what happens when at the age of 18 harry gets an amazing opportunity to...
2K 73 21
CURRENTLY GOING THROUGH SOME HARD EDITING WILL BE PUBLISHED AGAIN EVENTUALLY! *** WARNING CONTAINS MPREG*** Niall and Harry are bothers trying to mak...
26.6K 684 15
Louis Tomlinson was once in a relationship, not just any relationship, though. Louis was in a BDSM relationship. Louis found his 'sir' online and s...