The Sight Of Eternity With You

By WeaselB3e

Harper Nonemacker has transferred as a third year into Hogwarts. The reason for the transfer? She's a Legilim... More

Harper
The First Day Nerves: Third Year Start
Complex Being you are
Halloween frights
Let's Try Quidditch or Trust
Christmas and Dragon Bites
Totally Not Flirting
End of the Year
Come on, Be Our Guest
Fourth Year Blitz
All Signs Point To
Hourglass
Mindless Self Indulgence
Honestly
I was Afraid, I was....
Both Sides of The Story
Loose Cannon
A Little Faster
Check Yes, Harper
The Glorious Fates
This is Halloween
Set it Off
Lonely girl
The Edge
Calm Before The Storm
Under a Paper Moon
Why Worry (About the Sixth Year)
Tell Me Why
Runaway
The Liars and Sneaks
Caught Up In You
About a Girl
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Five Minutes to Midnight
Future Hearts/ Old Scars
Tell Me I'm a Wreck
Take On The World
When The Chips Are Down
Come To Your Senses
Listen To Your Girl
The Fear of Falling
Hard Times
Homecoming
Harper Is For Lovers
Haunting Me
Skeptics and True Believers
Harper is our Queen
Give Me Your Hand
What You Make It
If You Could Be Anywhere
Gossip
Electric Love
The Hideaway
Young And Menace
Here With Me
Hurts Like Hell
Till Forever Falls Apart
Love From the Other Side
Alone Together
The World Is Falling Apart
Does Salvation Come?
Heaven Help Us
The Loneliest
Matchsticks
Grow As We Go
Don't Let The Light Go Out
Say You Love Me
Lovefool
Maybe You Saved Me
Dance With Me
Lucky Star
Stay The Night
(Don't) Surrender
Nothing Else Matters
Paper Rings
Be My Escape
Harper's Law
Which to Bury?
In My Head
Out of My Mind
Running Up That Hill
Favorite Place
Dandelions
Your Love Is My Drug
If Not For You
Love Song
Where I Belong
Marry You

Million Dollar Baby

31 0 2
By WeaselB3e

"I'll go walkin' in the twilight, countin' down to midnight
Close my eyes and wait for her to shine
I'm hidin' in the shadows, prayin' that she'll break free
In the dark of the night, she got danger on her mind
She's a million dollar baby, nobody can explain it
She's a miracle, She broke out of her chains, turned the fire into rain"
-Million Dollar Baby, Ava Max

****

Harper frowned as she looked over the stiff parchment, running her hands through her hair and shaking it out around her shoulders. School had only been in session for maybe a week and a half and already there was trouble.

"Educational decree 23....Dolores Umbridge is hereby made Hogwarts High Inquisitor? What the hell does that mean?!" She looked over at Victor as he leaned back in his chair with a heavy sigh.

One perk of being Head Girl was the private office that the Head prefects shared, it was a small room with a fireplace beside two chairs and loveseat. A large desk was setup for both prefects to use, Harper's side was neatly setup with picture frames and her school things while Victor's side was a chaotic mess of spilled ink wells and crumpled parchment. A small workbench had been setup for them that Harper was using for potion making for the joke shop. Her notebook open on display as she looked over all her ingredients, surveying if she needed to go and siphon some from her next Potions class or if she could sneak around Hagrid's hut for ingredients or the greenhouses.

"I smell trouble!" Victor said in a sing song voice.

Harper nodded slowly, getting up from her chair and walking over to her potion setup, stirring her cauldron once clockwise. The scent of lit matchsticks, cinnamon, and broomstick wax floated up in small puffs of hearts to meet her.

"Vici, do you think the Ministry is trying to pull something?" Harper asked over her shoulder.

"Absolutely! There's no doubt, just look at how Defense has been going. We're not allowed to practice anything, it's all reading and rewriting lines...for maximum retention," He made an annoyed noise, increasing the volume on their record player beside him.

"Wonder what took so long..."

"Pretty sure last year was the final straw...multiple lives were discreetly taken, have you seen the Prophet during the summer? People are slowly going missing, have been since last summer if you know where to look. Also I'm curious if word got back to parents that a phantom menace roving the corridors last term," at this Harper turned on her heel, Victor was sitting in her chair looking at all her photos. "Does Weasley know you have a picture with pretty boy?"

"What was that last part?" Harper clipped, eyes narrowing as she studied the brunette who buried his face into the picture he was holding. The only sound that echoed around the quiet room was the record player on Victor's side of the desk. Her heart was beating so loud in her ears that it almost drowned out the music itself as she waited for Victor to continue.

"Word always gets around this place, Nonemacker. That includes students talking about the pretty, dark haired prefect feeding students almost deadly sweets. The Slytherin quidditch team almost went into anemic shock! But...." He put the frame on a corner and slowly spun it, Harper had been correct in guessing which one he'd been studying—it was a picture of her with George at the Yule Ball. "I don't blame you, no one does, people were nasty when that article came out."

"I just wanted them to stop, I didn't mean to hurt anyone," her voice was barely audible above the record player.

"I know, Harper," Victor spoke softly. "And it's fine, the past is the past. On the bright side it seems like students really want to partake in those snackboxes," he snorted slightly. "It's been a week and I've seen students with boils all over their faces."

Harper chuckled slightly, nodding. "I should ramp up our production then...this decree is going to make a lot of students suddenly skipping classes."

"We should go deliver these to Celeste and Alexandria to post in the Slytherin and Hufflepuff common rooms..." Harper called, rubbing her hands together as she looked over her notebook, hastily writing down the scents she smelled.

"Well...it was a nice relaxing first week," Victor muttered over her shoulder. "What a shame."

"See you in the morning for Herbology then," taking two of the signs for herself and slowly walking toward the dungeons.

Walking through her lively common room an hour later, she walked over to the giant board where announcements were plastered.

"Oh that screams trouble," Fred commented, making Harper jump a mile in the air.

"Hermione may have a point about the Ministry interfering here," she frowned with a sigh.

"Come on, time for our meeting," Fred smiled and waved her toward the stairs, taking them two at a time to his dormitory. Lee and George sitting on the floor against their beds, loads of sweets in a circle between them. Harper sat between George's legs, leaning into his chest and kissing the hallow of his jaw when she looked up.

"Where have you been?" Lee asked, tossing Harper a sugar mouse.

"Oh, around," she stuttered, not wanting to reveal her secret room just yet. Lee made a face as the twins began pulling out parchment and writing utensils.

As they talked about products and what things should be shelved and worked on, Harper's mind went to the educational decree. The anxiety that traveled through her body made her shiver slightly, which resulted in George taking his quilt from his bed and wrapping it around them.

She smiled at him, trying to keep her mind on the current conversation.

****
Harper sat beside Alicia as they got their wands out for the day's Charms lesson. Something about the air in the classroom spelled trouble, Harper had explained the decree to the group over breakfast, including her speculations as to why move of power was given to the toad in pink. As Harper got ready for class, she heard the last noise she wanted to hear that day.

"Hem hem."

Every single pore in her body turned to ice at the sound, all heads turned to the doorway as the pink nightmare with an obnoxious velvet bow and polished badge on her collar appeared with a clipboard.

"Good morning, I'm here to begin my classroom inspections," Umbridge explained.

"Right," Flitwick nodded and turned to the rest of the class. "Today we'll be working on refreshing our memories from last year, today is reducto. But, non-verbal."

Harper met Alicia's gaze and the two glared, Flitwick began the class as normal, completely ignoring the woman as she scratched a quill rather loudly against her clipboard. Any questions she had Flitwick answered as if she were a student, unperturbed by her presence.

"Is she going to inspect all the professors?" Alicia whispered, Harper sighed inwardly knowing that Sybill would be a wreck about this. "But what for?"

"I have a few ideas," Harper hissed back.

What's toad face doing here?!

Harper let out a slight gasp at Fred's thought, she had been much better at her occlumency, however the cold pit forming in her chest rocked her concentration, the jolt from the thought made Umbridge give her a quizzical look, the woman turned to her clipboard and scribbled hurriedly.

"I don't think that last note was about Charms...." Joy hissed in Harper's ear from her seat behind her.

"Mission get help?" Alicia offered, Harper shook her head, looking at her ink well she was meant to use for her charm practice.

"Not today."

When the class was over everyone slowly packed their things, George taking Harper's things for her with a smile. Flitwick hurried into his office toward the back of the room.

"Miss Nonemacker, could I have a word?" Umbridge spoke up at the end of the surprisingly stressful Charms class, Harper tried to hide her yawn, a tension headache slowly forming as she nodded.

"I'll be right outside the door," George whispered, kissing her cheek and following the others out.

"As Head Girl, I'm sure you've been tasked with an exuberant list of things, responsibilities, daily tasks, requirements...." she began, picking up her clipboard as she gave a smile, her pointed teeth sticking out slightly.

"Erm, the work is divided between myself and the Head Boy and then given to the Prefects....it's not much really," Harper shrugged, growing tense the longer they made eye contact. Her eyes and overall appearance made her feel like a fly caught in a trap, a hungry toad staring her down.

"I'm sure you're proud of being selected. Head Girl is such an honor after all."

"Oh yes....I'm very privileged to be given this opportunity," Harper stuttered.

"Especially after last year's article."

Ah....are we going there already?

"I was curious, your father transferred from the....French Ministry correct?" She looked at her over her clipboard, tapping it slightly with the tip of her pen.

"Well....erm yes." Feeling giving this toad like woman little to work with was warranted.

"And that was before or after your incident at Beauxbatons?"

There it is

Harper remained quiet.

"I'm certain your parents were so admonished about the ordeal, I thought the entire article Miss Skeeter wrote was fabricated!" She gave a small laugh, "but the Ministry records proved most of the article to be accurate."

Harper gripped hands together, stuttering slightly.

"I can't recall, but what is your father's current position?"

"I'll be late to my other classes—" Harper made to move pass the woman but she latched onto her arm. Harper wished Flitwick would appear again, that anyone else would suddenly appear, the next batch of students, maybe George even-she suddenly felt fear traveling down her spine.

"I'll write you a note," Umbridge's smile sent a shiver down Harper's spine.

"Oh well it's for Potions....Snape knows my class schedule, I really can't be—"

"Have you had incidents since arriving here? What happened to that girl from Beauxbatons? Is there someone here helping you? Are you actually related to the Divination Professor Sybill Trelawney? Is she truly a seer? Do you possess the second sight as well? What does that make your blood status? Is that why you came here? Have you ever thought to use your ability for the Ministry?" The list of questions kept coming, there was no coherent process to what was asked next, Umbridge stepping closer and closer, Harper had a foot on her and as she stared down this woman she felt tiny and alone. "The Ministry could use a mind like yours, yes. Very powerful. You would do well among the Ministry. I'm sure every department could use you on their staff, you would be very valuable."

"I'm sorry professor but I really need to get going, the Head Girl shouldn't be tardy..." Harper tried to laugh as she pulled her arm from the toad.

She hurried out of the room, George pushed himself off the wall across from her, trying to keep up as Harper practically ran to Potions.

"Oi! Potions queen, I know you're excited and all but slow down! Your bag is a bit heavy today!" George was protesting behind her, but Harper didn't slow until she was in the dimly lit room and in front of her cauldron. Taking deep breaths as she studied the empty cauldron.

"Harpsichord, what happened?!" George asked, catching his breath as he put down both their bags and sighed heavily. "I barely had time to use a levitating charm on your bag!"

"Sorry..." she shook her head, frowning as Snape shut his office door with a slam.

"Nonemacker, Weasley! Five points for tardiness!" He called.

"U-Umbridge kept me in Charms, sir," Harper stuttered in front of the entire class. Her voice sounded weak and far off, Fred and Angelina's eyebrows shot up as they studied their friend with concern.

"Ten points. See me after class, Miss Nonemacker."

There was a quiet ripple of laughs throughout the room as the Head Girl got in trouble, looking up from her cauldron she met George's confused expression. Harper sat on her stool and held her head in her hands, not listening to the beginning instructions on their potion.

"Oi, H?" Angelina gently touched Harper's shoulder, Harper jumped a mile in the air and let out a small yelp. The whole class turning to look at her, Snape was glaring at her for the disruption. "Erm.....want me to get your ingredients for you?"

"Oh right, right....no, I can...." Harper muttered.

"What's going on?" George whispered, she was still shaking as she held her wand, making small sparks appear at the tip.

"Harper....why don't we just-" Angelina carefully took Harper's wand and laid it on the desk in front of them.

Angelina and George shared a look as Harper continued to shake, "Professor Snape, would it be alright if I took Harper to the infirmary? She's not feeling well," George called across the class.

Harper shook her head, pushing her hair behind her ears trying to come back to herself, Snape studied Harper for a silent moment—his eyes boring into her. She allowed her mental wall to come down as Snape continued to bore into her mind.

"She'll live," he clipped.

The twins both glowered at their Professor, Harper snapped her fingers to get their attention on her as she blushed.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, swear!" she muttered desperately.

"What did that toad do to you, Harpsichord?" George frowned, Fred looked as equally concerned as Harper shook her head, Angelina patted her arm before going to get their ingredients for their potion.

****

Harper kept her eyes closed, focusing on the wall around her mind, the pressure she felt against it continued another minute before completely stopping.

"Well done," Harper opened an eye to see Snape stepping back behind his desk, she pursed her lips and cleared her throat. "Sir? I have to ask....did you...would you have...erm—"

"As far as I'm aware, you are still a secret. Granted that can change at a moments notice considering your name was plastered all over the Prophet for all of England to see," Snape interrupted. "And because of that secret, I do suggest we continue lessons in regards to occlumency specifically. Seeing as your control is minuscule at best, even worse in stressful environments."

"Wait a second—"

"You were barely able to stop me during today's class. Therefore I will emphasize practice on occlumency in that sort of environment."

"Sounds like we're preparing me for something," Harper muttered, crossing her arms across her chest. "He really doesn't know yet?"

"What advantage would I have in telling the Dark Lord about a mere girl?" Snape snapped, his usual impatience was quicker than usual.

"I remember that book I found last year, I can be pretty powerful in the right or wrong hands...So with him back, if he was searching for a weapon then-"

"You mustn't listen to the inaccurate information your misfits have heard over the summer," Snape snapped, he fell silent, studying something as his eyes drifted off to the single window in the room, contemplating. "I don't pretend to hide my disdain for these lessons, but my help and teachings aren't just a show," Snape sneered.

"You know, I hate these lessons just as much as you do. All I know is that my parents are terrified and I'm trying my best to improve my control, and if he does know....I would really love that sort of information, because...at least I know what's coming, I can ask the fates all I want, but a definitive answer from even an ex-Death Eater would be...a comfort," Harper snapped, she got to her feet and picked up her bag, heading to the door. She was even more over Snape's behavior than usual.

"Miss Nonemacker, before you leave. It is impressive to see the summer months didn't dull the mind as it typically has before."

Oh I hate you!

Something like a laugh sounded from Snape, his shoulders shook slightly.

"We'll have a lesson shortly, inform your band of misfits they'll be needed. You may go."

Harper glared, sticking out her tongue before slamming the door behind her. Huffing she took a deep breath as she hurried up to the first floor from the dungeons.

"How was Snape?" George greeted, pushing himself off the opposite wall outside the potions classroom.

"You weren't waiting long were you?!" She frowned, taking his hand as they began walking.

"Hmmm no, I went to get you lunch, it's just about over now," George offered a napkin with a small peanut butter sandwich in between. She smiled, kissing his arm before biting into the sandwich as they hurried on their way from the dungeons. "So...what did toad face want earlier?"

Harper bit her tongue, the metallic taste mixed with the peanut butter made her frown. "Oh...erm...well...she started to interrogate me with personal things regarding my ability. She found records on my past at the Ministry. Said I'd be useful to them...."

George gawked, his brow furrowing as he glared. "Hmm. I have a pit stop I need to make before our break...I'll catch—"

Harper grabbed his arm just as they got to the entrance hall, she fixed him with a hard look. "Weasley."

"Nonemacker," he smirked, stepping closer to her, leaning closer to her face so their noses touched.

"Please don't do anything, George," she breathed, pleading with him.

George huffed, sucking in a breath as he nodded slightly, kissing the tip of her nose. "On my word," he smiled.

Harper let out a sigh, releasing his arm and taking one of his hands in hers, George smiling as he brushed her fringe from her face, leaning closer—his breath fanning her face. He was about to speak when that cough sounded beside them.

"I must say, such displays are highly inappropriate in a school setting. Thirty points from Gryffindor," Umbridge's voice spoke up. Harper closed her eyes, stepping away from George and clearing her throat. "And from the Head Girl who was just explaining how much of a privilege to have such a title was...."

Her heels clicked on the stone, the sharp noise made Harper grind her teeth until the woman was up the grand staircase and gone. George quietly pulled on her arm, speaking something that was unintelligible to her. With a deep breath she allowed him to pull her from her spot, slowly walking to the Gryffindor tower.

George pulled her along, taking her bag from her shoulder and placing it beside her favorite chair as he took the seat, pulling Harper's hands.

"No...." She muttered, shaking her head. "I should do my work...I Erm...I'll be at the—"

"We're safe in here, Harpsichord...I won't let anything happen," he smiled up at her. "Just for a few minutes, then we'll do some assignments."

Harper bit her lip before gently wrapping her arms about his neck and sitting with him, breathing deeply as her nerves calmed down. Closing her eyes, she pressed her forehead into his neck, listening to students around them—a few students came up to them, asking George if he had anymore products to test or any snackboxes they could buy off him. His fingers went to her hair, running through the velvet soft texture, her heart rate slowing the longer they sat together. The awful feeling that had been eating away at her slowly dispersed the longer she sat in his arms, safety of George's arms slowly lulling her into a peaceful nap.

****

Harper sat in the common room sometime later, completing her final assignment of the day as Ron and Harry appeared in a rush in front of her, making Harper jump back in her chair as they slammed their hands on the table.

"Oi! Watch my books you lot," Harper frowned.

"Harper, Umbridge did an inspection on Trelawney," Harry huffed.

"It didn't go well," Ron nodded.

"We ran...from there," Harry took a deep breath, "that classroom is so much further away than I expected," he muttered as he turned to Ron.

"It was not a good scene."

"Pack my things up for me?!" Harper said hurriedly before running off through the castle, when she got to Trelawney's, the ladder was drawn up with no way of access. Harper glared before pointing her wand at the trap door and making the ladder fall for her. Sandal wood and sage assaulted her senses as she looked around the dimly lit room.

"Sybill?!"

There was a slight movement at the desk, Harper hurried over and found her aunt slouched over the desk. An empty bottle of sherry in her hand.

"What happened?!" Harper asked hurriedly, looking around she found a fresh pot of water and tea leaves, tapping the pot with her wand. She poured some warmed tea into a cup and offered it to her aunt. "Harry said you were inspected, that Umbridge was completely off the rails?"

"I'm a fraud," Sybill whispered.

"No, you're not."

"I am...I'm a fraud, my second sight is just an illusion, I hear the whispers on the wind. I know students think I'm a crock..." Sybill sat up, her face was flush and her glasses were askew.

"Sybill...you're not. You know how the sight works, it's fickle. To be teaching a class about it is incredible," Harper poured herself some tea, letting the dredge settle at the bottom.

"No, no poppy....you don't understand," Sybill shook her head, pouring her bottle of sherry into an empty teacup.

"Should you be drinking?" Harper frowned.

Sybill let out a dark laugh, her head lolling on her shoulders.

"I'll have to get more from the Room of Requirement," Sybill gave a heavy sigh, hiccupping. "That woman wishes us only darkness, you shouldn't have returned here, poppy."

"What do you mean? This castle is the safest place for me," her eyebrows furrowed together as she took away the sherry bottle.

"That was until she arrived...she does not wish us well. The fates spoke of nothing but misfortune all summer, your aura is a shrouded cloud of black."

Harper frowned, looking into her tea dredge her heart dropped, clusters of ants could be observed. Something crawled up her spine as the dark omen stared up at her.

"Things are only going to get worse," Sybill whispered, getting to her feet, wrapping a shawl around her neck, muttering to herself. "If you'll excuse me, I need to make a special trip now, poppy."

Harper frowned, "to that room? What is it?"

"It's a room that you'll have to discover on your own," Harper scowled at her aunt's back as she dug around her cupboard.

"How is she?" Lavender Brown and Pavarti Patil bombarded Harper when she got back to the Gryffindor tower.

"Oh...." about three bottles deep in sherry. "Out of sorts but...hopefully she'll be fine."

"Umbridge was so rude, accusing her of not having the gift," Lavender explained. "She was relentless! Asked her to predict something on the spot."

"Skeptics typically do that sort of thing," Harper sighed.

"Would it be fine if we visit her?" Pavarti asked with a sympathetic smile.

"She'd love that," she smiled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13K 441 43
⚠️ ABANDONED ⚠️ "Somehow, whenever I'm with you, its like I'm closer to the stars." ... WARNING: this story DOES NOT contain actual smut or sexual...
1.8K 80 27
"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." - John Green - In which Celeste Malfoy rebels from her family, much like a ce...
8.5K 201 24
Blake is transferring to Hogwarts for her 5th year. She is a very gifted witch and quickly becomes friends with a pair of twins, who later on introdu...
220K 5.9K 62
Safeiarrah Celeste Phoenix have had a deep liking to her best friend, Fred. She's said nothing about her feelings to him, to anyone at all. He didn't...