Friends For Life

By excuse_my_charisma

Several years have passed, as Max has tried to live without the comforting arms of her husband. She's managed... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33

Chapter 26

391 34 5
By excuse_my_charisma

✠Ray's POV✠

Things are a bit calmer in the house, meaning nobody's had a mental breakdown. But there's still some distance and everyone can sense it. I've tried to make amends, but I can only do so much. Maybe this is a time issue. I should just let Rayan get used to his new life, then hopefully he'll open up.

But besides what's happening with Rayan, Max has been acting down lately. She hardly smiles, is almost always tired and I think she's just stressed about Rayan. Whenever we talk, she just skips around the subject of her feelings. I'm worried about her, so I decided I'd surprise her and show up to her job today to see how's she feeling. Of course, I'd have to find a means of transportation, considering I can't drive. I called for one to be here in a few minutes, before I jumped in the shower and cleaned myself up. I did my hygiene routine, put on a long sleeve t-shirt and some jeans and my black tims. It's still winter, but I didn't exactly need a coat. Making sure I had my wallet, my phone went off letting me know the Uber drive was here.

I grabbed my keys to lock the door and got inside the car. Of course the drive gave me a sideways glance, naturally, but I brushed it off because they were the least of my problems. I gave the guy the address and he drove off. I got to the plaza where Max's salon was, and I noticed there was a Chinese takeout restaurant a few stores over, so I stopped in to buy her lunch. I waited nearly twenty minutes before I could pay and take my food next door.

"Can I help you?" I was greeted by a very petite female with purple tips and a bob cut.

"I'm looking for the owener."

"She's in the back, do you have an appointment?"

"No, but I'm here husband."

She saw the wedding band and her eyes grew big.

"Oh, I didn't know..." she mumbled, becoming embarrassed.

"It's fine."

"You can just go straight back, it's the door on your right."

"Thank you." I warmly smiled, before walking past the two hair stylists and their clients. As usual I got stares and heard them murmur to themselves, but I gladly ignored it, placing my hand on the doorknob and opening the door.

"Knock knock." I said upon entering. Max saw it was me and came over to hug me.

"Aww my baby came to visit me." She cheered, wrapping her arms around me. I hugged back before she let go.

"How did you get here?"

"Uber. So this is it huh?" I looked around her cozy office, with the black love seat and matching coffee table.

"Yeah, this is all me. You like it?"

"It's dope. I'm happy you were able to hook this up while I was away."

"Well we had to keep money coming in some how." she took her seat behind the office desk, while I placed the bag of food on it.

"What's this?"

"Lunch. I got you your favorite."

She rummaged through the bag while I continued to inspect the room.

"Chicken and broccoli with white rice? You didn't." She squealed seeing the meal at the bottom of the bag with a lemon tea Snapple.

I laughed, seeing the many pictures of the boys when they were younger, on one of the tables. There was one with a toothy Riley and a happier, younger Rayan. Another picture that stood out was the one of Max, who was pregnant with Riley, Rayan and I at my mother's house. I'm pretty sure it was taken the day I was arrested. That particular picture brought good and bad feelings, but the good feelings went away once I noticed the bouquet of roses next to all the memories.

I didn't really know what to feel, because there were a lot of flowers in here, but these particular flowers were all just roses. Roses only mean one thing, and to have nearly three dozens of them bothers me, because I wasn't the one to send them. I could've, if I had known the address, but I didn't figure it out until just recently. I wanna assume clients have sent them to her as a thank you, or she bought them herself.

"Ray?"

"Huh?" I came back from my thoughts, to look my wife in her eyes.

"Aren't you gonna eat?"

I sat in the chair opposite her, and took out my food and the drink I bought myself.

"Max, you know I love you right?" I asked, really playing with my food.

"Yes I know, I love you too."

"And you know you can tell me anything, right?"

"Yeah I know."

"So what's wrong with you, why you walking around looking sad? This is the first time I've seen you smile in weeks."

She gulped and looked around the room before putting on a fake smile.

"Nothing's wrong..."

"Max, don't lie to me, I know you more than you think I know you."

She hesitated.

"I'm just under a lot of stress. My oldest son hates me and I know I probably shouldn't be bothered by it but I am."

She looked like she was about to cry, so I held her hand. I know she's worried about Rayan, but this is more than him. There's something else on her mind that she's not telling me.

"I know things haven't been picture perfect lately, but I promise, if it's the last thing I do, I'll make things alright."

I motioned for her to come over and sit in my lap. She did so and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"I just don't want to see you sad anymore."

I kissed her cheek, then her lips. I kissed her again, deepening it. She moved closer, placing her hand on my face. We stayed like this, kissing for a while, forgetting we were at her job and she had work to do. I started rubbing on her inner thighs, while she played in my hair. I moved from her lips to her neck, pulling on her skin. Her breath was hitched and she seemed more relaxed. I guess I was just that distraction she needed.

I was ready to raise the heat in the room, but there was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?"

"You're late appointment is here..."

"Shit...Okay, I'll be out in a few."

The person behind the door went away and Max got off my lap. I wiped my face and stood up, while she straightened herself up. I picked up my untouched food and put it back in the plastic bag.

"We'll finish this later..." I stated, stealing a few more kisses, before leaving her to think about me for the rest of her work day.

Rayan's POV

"We should've stopped at McDonald's cause a nigga hungry..." Aleem said.

"Go talk to Keisha, she could probably get you something."

"Yeah, HIV and a free trip to the clinic. No thanks, I'll just wait until we have lunch."

We both started laughing, thinking about how many times we've seen Keisha being thot at every party in South Central. She's known for two things; her dick sucking game and being up on the latest snacks.

My laugh faded, when a student came over to me rocking a hoodie and keeping their head hung low. I became more cautious and straightened up.

"Aye..."

"Sup?" I asked.

They looked around, before looking at me and Aleem.

"How much can I get for ten?"

"Not even half a gram, fam." Aleem stated, talking business.

"C'mon, this is all I have!"

"Then you better save up and come back tomorrow, for real."

The dude sucked his teeth and walked away. I shook my head, seeing another customer coming our way. Thankfulky, they had the correct amount for a little magic. He handed us the fifty dollars the same time I gave him his dope. He nodded and went about his business. Transactions continued for the remainder of the morning, as bodies flooded the hallways, trying to get to their homerooms, lockers or wherever people go before school actually starts. It was just me and Aleem in school, while Lonnie, Maco and Keith pushed some work on the outside. I was happy I was able to do some actually work, instead of just rocking the same color everyday, not making any money. Even though I wasn't really for being jumped in, this money is well worth it. And I still have the bruises to prove it.

"Aye, there go ya girl."

I looked where Aleem was mentioning, and saw Daisha with her friend Shay and some other dancer. They were talking and laughing, walking down the hallway looking like those untouchable girls in the movies, with the picture perfect lives. It could be true, or it couldn't. What matters is that I've known Daisha for two, almost three, months now and I want her to be my girlfriend. We've flirted long enough and I don't want to play games anymore, that's how great opportunities are lost.

So I made my way over to her, walking through the sea of bodies, dashing trying not to be late to homeroom. At this point, Daisha and her squad were at her locker. I tapped her shoulder and she turned around, showing off her glasses.

"Hey four eyes."

"Boy, bye. You here early."

"Yeah, I had some things I had to do."

"Oh yeah, like what?" The unknown friend interjected, giving me hella attitude. I gave her an uncertain look.

"None of ya business, that's what."

"Uh, Cam, can you chill?" Daisha asked. Cam rolled her eyes. I know I said I was gonna ask Daisha out, but at this point, I decided I'd wait until we were alone. I don't need her bitter friends fucking this shit up for me.

"So, what's up? You staying after school for the game?"

"Yeah, you?"

"Of course, I have to dance." she stated in an obvious fashion, making me feel stupid. I just nodded and continued.

"Right, I forgot. Look, what you doing after the game?"

"I don't know yet, probably going home..."

"Meet me in the parking lot afterwards." I said, trying to walk away because the bell had rang.

"For what?"

"Just be there, and you'll find out."

She playfully shook her head and waved me off. I didn't realize I had been smiling until Aleem gave me a confused look.

"What you cheesing for?"

"Nothing, let's just go to class so we don't get written up."

⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜⇝⇜

Aleem and I chilled on the bleachers, in the midst of all the screaming students, parents and teachers who stayed to watch the basketball game. Half of me was here to support my brother in the game, the other was to see Daisha perform in those mini skirts everybody on the dance team has to wear. Yeah I'm perv, but I could careless.

"Yo, how much do you have left?"

"Just hardly half a gram, why?"

Aleem put his hand out, and I passed it to him conspicuously. He shoved it in his pocket, then looked around the gym.

"I'm pretty sure we can sell this last bit at the end of the game. Your mom ain't coming, is she?"

"I don't know, and if she do, we can just sneak out the side door. I just can't spend the night at the trap though."

"You serious, ya mom got you on lockdown again?"

"My mom, and my dad."

"Your dad? I thought you said-"

"He showed up seventeen years later, when we went back to D.C." He was jail the whole time, and nobody told me, or Riley until he was staring us in the face. I'm not mad that I have a dad, I've always wanted my father in my life. I'm just pissed my mother likes to keep secrets from me. If everyone had been honest, then there wouldn't be a problem.

"Damn, just out the blue?"

"Yep."

He paused. Meanwhile, the game was about to start as the opposing team entered the gym, with the crowd booing them. After, our team came out one by one and I noticed that Riley was not only the most enthused, he was also the shortest.

"Well, at least you have a father. Shit, whatever little beef y'all got, you need to squash it."

"You sound like my guidance counsellor."

"I'm just saying, I'd kill to have my dad back." Aleem monotoned. I began to feel inconsiderate, knowing that his dad was killed by the police one night. It was supposed to be a regular stop for a speeding ticket, but shit escalated somehow and the next time we saw his dad was in a box. Another reason why I fucking hate the police.

We sat in silence for a minute, watching the game. Our team was pretty good, but the opposing team wasn't back down without a fight. The first half ended with 18-16 and a little routine from the dance team. Honestly, a majority of the people who even come to basketball games are just here for the dance team. It was only ten minutes in and I couldn't finish watching it, because Aleem wanted a soda. So we left to go to the small stand and paid for the drink.

"Shit..."

"What?"

"My parents just walked in."

I saw them come in through the double doors on the other side of the gym. They were holding hands and making their way over to an empty spot on the bleachers, when my mother looked in my direction and waved me over. My heart skipped a beat, as I tried to remain calm. I can't sit next to my parents, when I smell like crack cocaine. That's just stupid.

"Well, relax, we just gon' go over and say hi."

"Nigga, my mom has the nose of a German Shepherd, we not about to walk over there with half a gram of crack in your back pocket." I whisper-yelled.

"You need to chill. Keith told us shit like this might happen, and what are supposed to do?"

I rolled my eyes. Keith doesn't have a mother who will punish you for leaving dirty clothes on the floor.

"Stop being a bitch and c'mon." He scolded, walking along. I followed trying not to sweat profusely. We walked up the bleachers and got to where my parents were. Aleem went in for a hug, then shook my father's hand.

"Hey Aleem, how're you doing sweetie?" My mother smiled, putting up a front.

"I'm alright, just trying to keep my head above water."

My mother nodded, while my father whispered something in her ear. She gave him a look, before looking at me. I moved around Aleem to hug her too, and dap up my dad.

"Do you need a ride home?"

"Nah, Aleem's mom can take me home." I lied.

"Okay."

With her final word, we trotted back down the bleachers and moved back over to the other side of the gym, trying to remain out of sight. Our team had just shot a basket, so the crowd roared and did the wave, blocking us leave out the gym. When we got out back, there were a few students, seniors probably, passing a cigarette. I slightly shook my head, wondering why would anybody smoke a cancer stick, when they can smoke weed?

"Keith just texted me."

"What he say?"

"They sold everything and they coming to see the end of the game, then Khalil's taking us all home."

"Cool, we just need to sell this last bit."

Aleem pulled it out and looked at the group of seniors hanging under the light.

"Aye, anybody want a little rock?"

They stopped talking and looked at us. Aleem walked over and showed them the merch, making the exchange too conspicuous. I began to panic, but they declined and told us that one of the kids on the basketball team would buy it off us. We said thanks before going back inside through the boy's locker room. They had given us the kid's name, which happened to be Devon, who was also the third best player on the team. I didn't know much about him, except he was senior and had a scholarship to some big school in New York.

"Aye, where's Devon?" I asked the team's manager, who was digging for sweat towels.

"He's on the bench, watching the game."

"Go get him for us, tell him his mom wants to see him."

The freshman gave us a confused look, but went anyway. I looked at Aleem, wondering why he chose that excuse.

"It was the only thing I could think of."

I shrugged and Devon walked in seconds later, standing over Aleem and I, by only a few inches. I guess with his height, he was forced into the sport.

"Who the hell are y'all?"

"We heard you like to blaze before every game."

"Who told you that? Y'all narcs are something?"

"Hell nah, we suppliers looking for new customers."

"Y'all look familiar. What grade are y'all in?" He looked at us, studying our appearances.

"We in eleventh. Look, we can be besties later, do you want the last bit of this coke or nah?" I asked, becoming agitated.

"Hell yeah, how much?"

"What you got left?"

We followed him to his locker. He opened it and dug around and pulled out a small stack of twenties. He passed us forty and Aleem gave him the dope. He stuck his pinky in it and took a quick sniff.

"Damn, this is some strong ass shit."

Aleem and I shared glances of satisfaction, before allowing Devon to get back to his game. Aleem and I chilled by the exit for the remainder of the game, happy to see another win for the school. My brother didn't get much play time, but then again, I wasn't really watching the game. Everyone was either hanging in the gym, congratulating the players or waiting for a ride in the parking lot.

"I'm so proud, my baby shot two baskets!" My mother cheered, squeezing the life out of Riley.

"My son, the ball player. I'm proud of ya boy." my dad dapped him up, while Aleem and I just stood there. I was looking for Daisha, but it was like she just disappeared.

"Thanks. What's for dinner?"

My parents laughed, as they walked Riley out to the parking lot. We decided to follow, so I could see if Daisha was out there. When we walked out, I noticed some players I knew were messing around, and we both said what's up, when I looked past them all and saw Daisha a few yards away. I was about to make my way over, when I saw Devon creeping up behind her. He scooped her up and twirled her around. She was laughing and when he put her down, they kissed. I felt a heavy lump in my throat, as I watched her face beam with happiness.

"Aye, Khalil's here."

I shook out my feelings, and walked away letting the happy couple celebrate their win.

Should've updated yesterday, but I feel asleep...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 540 38
At first its two teens trying to be together until. Diggy Does something to save Lyric.Then she finds out about her Biological mother,new baby,cheate...
7.9K 25 24
A love story about Mindless Behavior.
518K 11.4K 25
Ariana and Briana are best friends and they are always there for each other. Ariana lives in a messed up home and so does Briana. One day they both g...
49.4K 737 22
It is about this adopted teenage, Krissy, who goes through routes in her life with having a bigger big brother than her who's 16. He is in a group wi...