Can You See Me? (A Loki FanFi...

By carriewrites

When a young elf's family is brutally murdered and her home burnt to the ground, she has no choice but to fle... More

Late Night Introductions
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Author's Note (Trigger Warning)
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty

4.7K 249 159
By carriewrites

The tension in the air was palpable, the entire arena silent with surprise and disbelief as Loki ended the duel with the fatal stab into Fiske's chest. At first, I was too shocked to move. Loki had shown the first signs of weakness by dropping to his knees before Fiske, and I had thought for sure that that would be the end for him. But somehow, he had managed to turn his fate around in less than a second.

I was finally broken from my stupor when both Loki and Fiske feebly slumped over onto the ground. Panic tightening my throat, I instantly left  Fandral's side and bolted down the steps towards the ring, ignoring his cries of protest behind me. All I could think about was getting to Loki, to see if he was even still alive. The duel had lasted mere minutes, their movements too fast to follow, and I had no idea how badly wounded he was.

He was still and quiet when I dropped to my knees by his side, his eyes closed and dry lips parted slightly. I forced down the rapidly growing feeling of nausea in my stomach. He had to be okay. He had to be.

"Loki! Loki, are you all right?" I begged pitifully as I gently shook his shoulders in the hopes of waking him. Thankfully, it worked, and his eyelids lifted weakly, focusing on me after a few moments. When he finally recognised me, a faint smile curled the corners of his mouth.

"It's over, Alva, it's over. You're safe." He promised, his voice a hoarse whisper, laced with pure relief.

"Brother, are you hurt?" Thor asked in a rush, suddenly appearing in front of me and leaning over the other side of Loki.

Loki's features scrunched up and he waved a limp hand, "Oh this? No, it's nothing." He replied nonchalantly.

Concerned by his words, I checked his body for wounds, pulling away his bloodied hand from his side to reveal a deep gash in his skin. I felt a dull ache in my chest at the sight - his wound wasn't fatal but seeing him hurt because of me made me feel unimaginable pain. I swallowed tightly, forcing away tears.

"Loki, you fool. Why did you do it?" I croaked. He frowned up at me, his gaze becoming suddenly lucid.

"I had to." He replied, as if it were obvious.

A hand abruptly grabbed my arm from behind and I gasped in surprise as I was pulled backwards, falling onto the chest of Fiske. His face was pale, his body growing cooler every second, but he gazed up at me with frantic eyes.

"I loved you, Alva, I never wanted to hurt you." He gasped breathlessly, his grip tight on my arm.

I could do nothing but stare numbly at him, not able to find the words to say. The man who had hurt me for months, who I hated, was dying right in front of me and I could say nothing, I felt nothing. I should have been happy that he couldn't hurt me any more, but I didn't.

I frowned in confusion as I felt tears well in my eyes, but blinked them back as I took a deep breath, composing myself. I leaned closer to him, knowing that, for once, I had all the power.

"You did hurt me, Fiske. You ruined my life and I despise you. I always have and I always will and I hope you suffer in death as much as I have suffered in life at your hands." I wanted him to know how much I loathed him, but there was no anger or resentment in my frail voice, much to my dismay. I sounded weak, like a bitter child, and I hated that.

But Fiske seemed to notice my contempt anyway, and laughed, spluttering as he choked on his own blood.

"Such fire. I always loved that about you. I think I'll miss that the most." His voice was a mere whisper by the time he finished, and I watched as the life left his eyes, and his hand dropped limply from my arm.

I couldn't understand the feeling I was experiencing of watching him die, but I knew I wasn't happy. I glanced down at my hands, soaked in his blood, and forced down a wave of nausea, feeling my head spin. After a few deep breaths to compose myself, I turned back to Loki, whose eyes had drifted closed while Thor had been talking in hushed tones with Fandral.

"Loki, we have to get you to a healer." I advised, shaking him awake again. His eyes fluttered open and he grimaced as I lifted his head to rest on my lap.

"No, no healer. Once the poison wears off I'll be fine and dandy again." He quipped in his usual sarcastic tone.

Thor and Fandral halted in their conversation at the sound of Loki's words, and gave me a confused look.

"Poison? What poison?" I asked Loki, equally confused.

"The bastard laced his blade with it. Don't worry, it's not lethal." He replied through a groan.

My heart halted for a beat, panic rushing through me. Wounds I could handle, but poison was another matter entirely.

"How do you know it's not lethal?" Thor asked when I was too frozen to speak.

"He told me."

"And you're going to believe him?" I gawked, finally breaking from my daze but my chest still seized with panic.

Loki sighed, tilting his head to look up at me, "Tell you what, come back in a few hours and if I'm still alive then let's assume he was telling the truth."

I glared down at him, pursing my lips and thinking of what damage I could do to him. I was beginning to realise why he had so few friends. Fortunately, Fandral distracted me before I could strangle him.

"Uh oh, looks like trouble." He warned, nodding in the direction of the stairs, from where at least four guards were approaching.

"Prince Loki, the Allfather demands your presence." One of them stated as they halted a few metres away from Loki and I.

"Why? Is he upset?" Loki asked impudently.

Thor stood from his kneeling position, straightening his shoulders aggressively at the guards.

"Can't it wait? My brother is in need of medical attention."

To their credit, the guards showed no signs of fear, despite the glare that Thor was giving them. One of them cleared his throat, straightening his chin as he addressed Thor.

"I'm afraid he was very insistent, My Lord." He replied, a slight break in his voice.

Loki sighed, "Well, what are we all sitting about for? We mustn't keep father dearest waiting."

I rolled my eyes at his sarcasm, how was it that of all if us he was the most calm? Loki shifted in an attempt to move but winced in pain as the movement resonated in his side. Realising that the poison was obviously impacting his ability to move, Thor and I helped him to stand instead. When he was on his feet, I passed his weight over to Fandral, who carried Loki with Thor. They followed after the guards as they led them to Odin, Loki's feet trailing on the ground, but I lagged behind. I crouched down beside Fiske again, pulling my fingers over his eyes to shut his lids. With one last lingering glance at the man who had ruined my life, I scurried after the man who had saved it.

Instead of taking us to the throne room, as I had thought they would, the guards lead us away from the palace and into a large, bright garden, flourishing in the Spring air. Odin paced angrily across the grass in front of the pond, while Frigga sat on a stone bench behind him, nervously wringing her hands on her lap.

Odin halted in his steps and glanced up when he heard us approaching, briskly waving the guards away when they bowed in greeting. As they scurried away, he fixed his piercing gaze on the three men before him, while I hid behind them. I knew that my presence would only anger him more, but I would not leave Loki's side. Frigga's worried expression instantly relaxed when she saw that her son was alive, but she didn't dare speak when her husband was in this mood.

Loki lifted his head weakly, smirking mischievously, "You summoned me, Father?" He croaked, his words laced with insolence.

Odin bared his teeth, "Watch your tone with me, boy. What is the meaning of this? You think you can just go around challenging people without my permission. You know the punishment is death." He barked, his voice rising in volume with every word.

Loki smirked, "It seems as though that's the punishment for everything around here." He mumbled under his breath.

"Loki," Odin warned, in no mood for his games.

The Trickster sighed, grimacing slightly, "Well, I'm afraid it was rather urgent."

Odin turned his gaze to his eldest son, "Is he dead?"

Thor nodded, "Yes, Father."

After a short pause while Odin tried to rein in his temper, he addressed Loki again, "Would you mind explaining to me why I'm in need of a new Captain of the Guard?"

"I was defending a Lady's honour," Loki replied, his tone still steady but I could sense that his strength was waning.

Odin's eyebrows lifted in surprise, but he still remained dubious, "Oh, you were? And whose honour was this?"

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath, stepping out from my hiding spot.

"Mine, my Lord. I am no lady but it was I that Loki was protecting."

Odin didn't seem surprised by my appearance when he fixed his eye on me,"Why is this?"

I glanced down at the soft green grass beneath my feet, clearing my throat, "Fiske...Fiske has, I mean had, been forcing me to perform sexual acts with him for some time." I told him in the strongest voice I could muster.

When I finally raised my eyes to his, Odin was watching me curiously, a hint of shock evident in his gaze.

"Against your will?" He clarified.

"Yes, my Lord." I nodded.

Odin paused to contemplate this new information, "Interesting. Then, Loki your actions were justified, but that does not give you the right to deliberately disobey me -"

Sensing his anger rise again, Frigga finally interjected, "Odin -"

"No!" He barked and Frigga and I both jumped, "I will not have him defended any more. Loki you will face the same punishment any other man would."

"What?" I breathed, my expression slack with shock.

"Execution."

Before I could think or even stop myself, I dropped to my knees before Odin, "No. Take me instead."

"Alva, what are you doing?" Loki wheezed behind me.

I glanced back at him, forcing away the tears in my eyes. I didn't know what I was doing, but I knew I wouldn't let him die for me. I smiled gently, "Repaying a favour."

Odin stared down at me, his expression completely bewildered, "What did you say?"

I swallowed tightly, "Let me take his punishment."

"You're willing to die for him?"

"Yes," I answered, and I realised it was the easiest decision I had ever made.

"Odin, no, don't listen to her." Loki begged from behind me, the panic in his voice bringing tears to my eyes. Loki never begged, especially not to Odin, and knowing that he did it now because of me only added to the growing pain in my chest. I couldn't bear to look back at him, knowing that if I did I would never be able to go through with this.

"Quiet, Loki." Odin barked, his gaze never leaving mine. Finally, he sighed, "On your feet, child."

I was in a daze when I shakily stood, feeling the refreshingly cool grass beneath my bare feet. Odin took a step closer to me, lowering his voice.

"Nobody has ever offered up their life to save Loki."

"I am indebted to him my lord. He never would have disobeyed you if it were not for me. Whatever he has done in the past, he doesn't deserve to die now." I replied.

"And you do?"

His question took me off guard, and I paused. Did I deserve to die? I took a deep breath, "Perhaps not. But I am just a slave, I mean nothing."

"Alva, no." Loki breathed, the pain clear in his voice. I ignored him as best I could, but every part of my being wanted to run back to him so that he could keep me safe.

Odin turned away, pacing back and forth thoughtfully, "You've put me in a difficult position here." He murmured, and finally stopped with his back to me, his shoulders lowering in defeat.

"Find another way to repay your debt. Take him away, make sure his wounds are seen to."

I froze, wondering if I had heard him correctly. He was willing to let us both leave unharmed?

"My Lord?"

He waved a hand, still not turning around, "Go."

As the shock began to wear off, I glanced over my shoulder at the three men behind me, their expressions equally stunned. Loki locked gazes with me, and I smiled in relief. He was safe.

As Fandral and Thor began to carry Loki into the palace, I turned back to Odin.

"Thank you." I whispered reverently, and as he angled his head to look back at me, I was sure I saw a small smile on his lips.

"I wish to speak with you again, squire, I will send for you."

"Yes, my Lord," I nodded and bowed, turning away to follow the others.

"Loki?" Odin called, and Loki lifted his head expectantly, "There is one thing I don't understand."

"And what's that?"

"You would risk your life for a slave?" Odin asked.

Loki paused, his gaze shifting to mine. 

"No," he smiled, "Just for her."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 20 34
When Ruby, a goddess who was raised in Midgard, discovers her true heritage she struggles with the actual meaning of it. She falls in love with a ins...
86K 2K 21
The story of a young friendship, between a prince and a young maiden. Will their friendship turn into a blossoming romance, or will their love be hin...
15.5K 676 41
Diana has always known that she was from another world, but she never knew which one. She couldn't remember anything of her past or why she was cast...
21.8K 624 21
Jamie has been living with her stepfamily ever since she was little. Her father married her stepmother, but after he died, her stepmother made sure s...