Dagger Series #5: Unbowed

De MsButterfly

People call Ember Nile Calderon a lot of things. Sometimes it's the Huntress, Queen of Arrows, the Archeress... Mais

Dagger Series #5: Unbowed
Synopsis
Chapter 1: Unbothered
Chapter 2: Guide
Chapter 3: Sober
Chapter 4: Promise
Chapter 5: King of Flirt
Chapter 6: Simple
Chapter 7: Rapunzel
Chapter 9: Favorite T
Chapter 10: Stay
Chapter 11: Happy
Chapter 12: Complicated
Chapter 13: Dare
Chapter 14: Shield
Chapter 15: Ours
Chapter 16: Detonate
Chapter 17: Article
Chapter 18: Universe
Chapter 19: Date
Chapter 20: Alone
Chapter 21: Deserving
Chapter 22: Character
Chapter 23: Even
Chapter 24: Fireworks
Chapter 25: Chase
Chapter 26: Ruses
Chapter 27: Rewind
Chapter 28: Special
Chapter 29: Alternative
Chapter 30: Family
Chapter 31: Home
Chapter 32: Feels
Chapter 33: Humor
Chapter 34: Challenge
Chapter 35: Gold
Epilogue
Author's Note
Book: Unbowed
Dagger Series #6: Unwavering

Chapter 8: Distraction

13.4K 694 272
De MsButterfly

#DS5Unbowed #EmbRace #DaggerSeries

A/N: Hi guys! For announcements regarding updates and anything about my books, follow our official second page on Facebook.

Facebook Page: MsButterfly's Stories (Same name sa public group)

Thank you guytz! Wuvwuv <3

CHAPTER 8: DISTRACTION

EMBER'S POV

Dahan-dahan ako sa pagkilos habang naghahaluhog ako sa kusina para hanapin ang kailangan ko. It's four in the morning and I don't want to wake anyone up. Kahit si Miss Asencio ay hindi ganitong kaaga gumigising.

I've been waking up around six to eight, which is late for my standard, since I came back from the competition. Wala namang problema ro'n dahil kailangan ko rin ng pahinga pero ngayon ay dapat na akong bumalik sa orihinal ko na routine. And after the meeting yesterday with Dagger, I couldn't sleep more even if I tried.

"It's too late for a midnight snack and too early for breakfast, princess."

I tightened my grip on the electric kettle I was holding when it almost slipped from my hand. "You almost gave me a heart attack—"

Hindi ko nagawang matapos ang sasabihin ko nang lumingon ako sa lalaki. Sa pangalawang pagkakataon ay muntik kong mabitawan ang takure. Sa ibang rason nga lang.

Trace is wearing dark gray sweatpants that hang low on his hips. He's putting on a shirt, but not quick enough for me not to catch a glimpse of his ripped body and the V of his abdomen that I have no business staring at. Maybe I should skip training. Pwede namang tumalon na lang ako sa pool. Kahit hindi ako marunong lumangoy.

"May hinahanap ka?"

Iyong abs mo na tinakpan mo. Pinilig ko ang ulo ko. This is not the time nor there would be any right time to think about his abs. "My tea. I don't know where they are."

"Miss Asencio unpacked them last night." Lumapit siya sa akin at binuksan niya ang drawer sa ilalim ng center island. He took a box of Ahmad tea and gave it to me. "Iyong iba pinatago ko muna sa storage room. Masyado kasing marami para magkasya rito."

"It's my favorite tea," I mumbled.

"I gather that." Sa pagtataka ko ay kinuha niya ulit sa akin ang box. "Why don't I make the tea and you wait for me at the gazebo?"

"You can just go back to sleep." Nang makita kong ngumiti lang siya pero hindi siya kumilos para umalis ay bumuntong-hininga ako. "Fine. But I'll make the tea so that you can change your clothes."

I'm already wearing my workout outfit, which is navy green stretchy pants and a matching navy sports bra underneath a long-sleeved top in the same color.

"I'll change my clothes and make the tea, and you can wait for me at the gazebo."

I rolled my eyes. "What's with you and the tea?"

"We're the perfect pair to brighten your morning. Ahmad tea, plus ako na may ahmat sa'yo."

I pressed my lips together, but there was no way I could hold in the laughter that rarely wanted to escape my lips. Kuminang ang mga mata ni Trace habang pinagmamasdan ako na maluha-luha sa kakatawa dahil sa kaniya.

"I never heard something as corny as that," I said, still laughing.

"Told you. I could brighten your morning." He inclined his head towards the door. "Now go to the gazebo and relax. I don't want you to burn yourself carrying a hot drink all the way there."

So that was the real reason. "Thanks."

He just gave me a smile, which I tentatively returned. Tumalikod na ako at naglakad palabas bago pa siya may masabi na naman na magpapakabog ng dibdib ko. Nang makarating sa gazebo ay napapabuntong-hininga na sumalampak ako roon.

In archery, it's important to boost stamina, endurance, and strength, but those only come second to mental training. Concentration is the number one key to winning. If you fail to focus, you'll most likely lose your chance of winning the gold.

The upcoming competition is more than just a small dart game inspired by a dare. Which is why Trace wrecking my system constantly is a threat that I am not sure how to resolve.

"Breakfast for the lovely lady."

Nalingunan ko si Trace na nakapagpalit na ng damit. He's wearing a black workout pants and a white shirt. May hawak siya na tray na ibinaba niya sa tabi ko bago siya umupo na rin. Aside from the tea, there's a cup of coffee that I'm sure is for him. There are also two toasts with chocolate spread. On top are strawberries and blueberries.

"The chocolate spread is vegan," he informed me.

"Thank you," I murmured.

Tahimik na kumain kaming dalawa habang nakatanaw sa maliit na lawa na nasa harapan namin. It's so peaceful in here. Adding to that is the picturesque view. Back home, it's just endless trees and nothing else.

"I have a competition in a few weeks," I said, breaking the silence.

"I know. Dadating sa susunod na araw ang manager mo di ba?"

"Yes. I need to stay in a hotel in Manila during the second week of May so that I could train with my instructor—"

"I have a place in Manila."

"Okay," I agreed quickly. Alam ko namang hindi ko siya pwedeng tanggihan sa parte na iyon. It's his job to make sure that I'm safe after all. "Then I— we need to fly in Columbia. The stage two of the competition will be held there in the third week of the month."

"That could be arranged."

Huminga ako ng malalim at sinalubong ko ang tingin niya. "During the day of the competition can you do something for me?"

"Anything."

Anything. The way he said it feels like a promise.

"I know that you need to stay by my side for my safety, but can you not talk to me on that day?" A flash of hurt crossed his eyes, but he hid it quickly. Bumuka ang bibig niya para magsalita pero inunahan ko na siya, "It's not because of anything. It's just... it's critical for me to be able to focus."

"I know that," he said with a smile.

I could see how forced the smile he's giving me. Trace is someone who is always vibrating with energy and cheerfulness. I don't think he's used to hiding his real feelings, or maybe he could, but I just happen to see them clearer than he likes me to.

It made me remember the day that we first met. He said he needed to be away from his family because he didn't want them to see that he was unhappy. The way he interacted with his family, I could see that he made himself responsible for making sure that everyone felt comfortable enough to enjoy themselves.

Nakita ko rin kung paano siya kumilos nang magkuwento si Mireia tungkol sa buhay niya. When she started talking about her mother and everyone could see that she was seconds away from crying, it was Trace who cracked up a joke to pull her away from her thoughts. Even though I could see that the mention of the woman's mother affected him too.

The easier choice for me is to let him think whatever he's thinking right now. But for some reason, I don't want him to pretend in front of me. I don't want to be the reason he does that. Time for honesty then.

"It's not because I'm embarrassed to be seen with you. That would be ridiculous." Sinong ikahihiya na makasama siya? I've met a lot of good-looking guys, and yet Trace could leave them in the dust. "But you are a distraction. Superman can take off his clothes in front of me, and it wouldn't stop me from getting high scores. You, on the other hand, don't even need to take a piece of clothing off for me to be distracted. I hate losing, Trace. I don't care what they say about being a good sport. I'm not one."

Tulalang nakatingin lang sa akin si Trace na para bang nahihirapan siyang i-digest ang sinabi ko. It wasn't long before it started dawning on him though. With the way he's suddenly beaming at me, the sun could have risen in front of me.

"I beat Superman?"

Gumapang ang init sa magkabila kong mga pisngi. Nagdadabog na kinuha ko ang toast ko at kumagat doon. "That's not the point."

Itinuon ko ang mga mata ko sa lawa kahit na ramdam ko pa rin na nakatingin siya sa akin. I sipped my tea and ate my toast quietly without giving him another glance.

"Princess."

That endearment again. "What?" I grumbled.

"You just brighten my day."

I rolled my eyes, still not looking at him. "Whatever."

PABAGSAK na umupo ako sa yoga mat ko nang sa pangatlong pagkakataon ay tumunog na naman ang cellphone ko. I should have turned it off. I was doing a Revolved Triangle Pose when I decided to finally answer it.

"What?"

"Well, hello sunshine," Stellan greeted.

"I'm in the middle of yoga, Stel."

After breakfast, I went to the west side of the property. Wala pa akong plano na mag-practice para sa target shooting dahil balak ko na mamaya pa iyon na simulan. Ikakabit pa lang din kasi ni Trace ang padating ko na mga target archery board.

Ayoko rin kasing biglain ang sarili ko. My muscles were stiff, and I needed to warm up first. I started with resistance training instead by putting a resistance band on one of the trees so that I could do my exercise.

I was done with my routine, and I proceeded to do yoga that I like to incorporate with my training because it helps both my body and my need for meditation, when the first call rang.

"Hindi ka sumasagot sa chat ko."

"For a good reason," I told him.

"Fine. I'll be quick," he said without sounding offended by my mood. Sa tagal naming magkasama ay sanay na sanay na siya sa akin. "Pictures of you are circulating."

"Pictures of what?"

"Ikaw kasama ang detective slash bodyguard mo."

"That's not surprising. Siya ang lagi kong kasama." Kumunot ang noo ko. "That's weird though. Kararating ko lang dito sa bahay niya. Aside from yesterday para sa meeting ay hindi pa kami lumalabas. I doubt someone would take a picture of us back at Rancho Callista."

"The pictures were taken more than a year ago. Two Decembers ago, I think?"

Sixteen months to be exact. I met him in December, and the anniversary of that was four months ago. It's already April. Why am I even counting?

"You two were kissing," he said in a way that makes me visualize him with his eyes shining.

"You sound too happy, Stel. Get a grip."

"This is good news, Ember. The sponsors would love it, and those bitches that keep talking smack about you will need to keep their mouths shut."

Sa lahat naman ng sponsors ay iyong akin ang masaya na napag-uusapan ako na matatawag na ng iba bilang scandal. It's the perfect proof that no matter what you do, people will say things against you. You date a lot? That's an issue. You never dated? That's an issue.

"I wonder why they took so long to post it," I mused.

"That bar wasn't exactly well lit, and the picture is grainy. Hindi kayo ganoong kakita lalo na ang kasama mo. The person who posted it wasn't even sure if it was you. She posted it because she was asking if anyone else thought that it was you, but most of those who responded said that it probably wasn't you in the picture. That's why it didn't make much noise until recently. Hindi ko sila masisisi. Kahit ako ay magdadalawang-isip na isipin na ikaw ang nasa post kahit matagal na tayong magkakilala. You're known to be elusive, and you've never been put in this kind of situation."

"So what changed?"

"Lucienne Dawson, also known as Lush Fox, posted on her Instagram. It's rare that she does, and her fans are always excited for it. There's a picture of you two with Lia Asterio Dawson, Belaya Lawrence Dawson, Mireia Aguerro Dawson, and Luna Dawson. There was also one selfie taken with the Dawson siblings."

Oh my god.

Outside the world of sports, one would think that I shouldn't receive an audience larger than usual. But nowadays people like to romanticize and fantasize about everything, and unfortunately I'm one of the recipients of that. Minsan nga pakiramdam ko ay hindi naman talaga sa sports ko nakapokus ang ilan sa mga tagahanga ko.

I get compliments for my looks, for being a woman holding what some consider a weapon, and for my background as the Estremera and Calderon heiress. Of course, I also received hatred and criticism as a result of these, which only fueled the spread of my name and helped it become well-known.

But the Dawson women are different. They are known because they are in an industry where being famous comes with.

"And let me just tell you, those brothers are starting to grow their own fan base too, what with most of them being married to celebrities," pagpapatuloy ni Stellan. "It wasn't long before your fans put two and two together. Especially when the man in question was sitting beside you."

"Oh no," I whispered.

"Oh yes. This is good, Ember. Dapat sinabi mo sa akin na may plano ka na pala sa problema natin—"

"I didn't kissed him because of the people branding me as unwanted!" That's not entirely true though. "Well... not really. I was drunk that night. I was just stressed out and tired. I wanted to have fun."

"Then do it more."

I groaned. "Stel. I'm not kissing him again just for the sake of the articles!"

"I didn't say that you should pretend. Lumabas ka, mag-enjoy, if kissing is involve, why not? It's a win-win situation. People will leave you alone, and you'll be happy and not grumpy."

"I'm not grumpy."

"Yes you are. You're like Cupid with the bow and arrow and all. But the grumpy kind. Small, cute, and grumpy."

"You're fired."

Tawa lang ang narinig kong sagot niya bago ko pinatay ang tawag. Kahit ata gawan ko siya ng termination letter ay tatawanan niya lang ako. He's used to me firing him every time he's annoying me.

Initsa ko ang cellphone ko sa ibabaw ng long-sleeve top ko. Hinubad ko na kasi kanina 'yon dahil pawisan na ako masyado kaya ngayon ay ang sportsbra ko na lang ang suot ko bilang pang-itaas.

I went back to my yoga. I took a lot of lessons before since it helps with focus and productivity while exercising calmness. Hindi katulad ng akala ng karamihan ay hindi ganoong kadali ang yoga. I mean, some poses could be really easy, but there's a lot that makes you want to throw up. Bukod pa ro'n ay ang konsentrasyon na mapanatili ng may katagalan ang isang partikular na posisyon. It's an exercise of the mind at the same time that it's a workout for the body.

I was currently doing the downward facing dog when I heard the clearing of throats near me. Hindi umaalis sa posisyon na lumingon ako at nakita ko sina Domino, Coal, at Trace, na bitbit ang mga wooden target board ko habang nakatayo di kalayuan sa akin. Trace's two younger brothers are looking at the sky as if the answer to the universe is written there, while Trace looks like he's having a conversation with his shoes.

Nanlalaki ang mga matang napadiretso ako nang tayo nang mapagtanto ko ang ayos ko. I just gave them a full view of my behind. Nice.

"What a beautiful world," Domino said, still looking at the sky.

Nilingon ng tapos nang makipag heart-to-heart sa sapatos niya na si Trace ang kapatid niya. "Leave."

Hindi pa rin tumitingin sa akin na ibinaba ni Domino ang hawak bago ako kinawayan at pagkatapos ay naglakad na siya palayo. He did all that with his face still looking up at the sky. Hindi ko alam kung magpapalamon na lang ako sa lupa o matatawa ako.

"Marunong akong mag-yoga," ngiting-ngiti na sabi ni Coal na sa kapatid niya nakatingin. "May virtual meeting kayo nila Kuya Thorn di ba? Sasamahan ko na lang muna si Ember. Ikakabit ko na rin mamaya ang mga board—"

"Not in this lifetime."

Unlike Domino, Coal looked at me for a moment and grinned before he walked away. Kung nakamamatay lang ang tingin ay baka nawalan na ng buhay ang lalaki sa paraan ng pagkakatingin ni Trace sa kaniya.

Trace's eyes remained murderous when he turned to me, but they instantly softened when he saw me looking at him.

"Where do you want me to put this?" tanong niya at inangat ng bahagya ang target board.

Bumuka ang mga labi ko para magsalita pero hindi ko nagawang maituloy iyon nang makarinig ako ng malakas na boses. Napatingin ako sa kural at nakita kong nakabukas ang gate kung saan kasalukuyang naglalakas palabas si Ruby.

The fence is far from us, and Ruby walks slow so I know that Cristiano will get to her quickly, but there's a good reason why he's shouting, and I'm sure it wasn't because of the cow. Nakumpirma ko na tama ang hinala ko nang animo kidlat na nalagpasan ni Turbo si Ruby at mabilis siyang tumakbo palabas ng gate.

And he's heading towards us.

I don't need to be a mind reader to recognize Turbo's determination. He might be small, but his body is rippling with an unmistakable energy. It was as if he were a bull ready to attack and not a billy goat.

Humakbang ako palapit kay Trace pero naunahan niya ako. I assumed he'd put me in front of him because, unlike him, Turbo is familiar with me. Pero sa pagkagulat ko ay nilagay niya ako sa likod niya na para bang kinukubli ako.

It was a brave and chivalrous thing to do... but it was also dangerous and foolish.

Inabot ko ang pulsuhan ni Trace at hinila ko siya. Bago pa siya makapalag ay tumayo ako sa harapan niya habang hawak pa rin ang kamay niya. I felt Trace's other arm wrapped around me from behind as if he were ready to tackle me if needed, but I tightened my hold on his hand to warn him not to.

"Turbo, no," I commanded firmly the moment that the goat was in front of me.

Di kalayuan ay kita ko si Cristiano na nagawa ng hulihin si Ranger na sumunod pala at naipasok niyang muli iyon sa gate. Turbo made a sound and stepped to the side as if to look at Trace, but I moved my body, taking the man with me, to shield him from the goat's view.

"I said no." He stomped his feet, clearly not liking to be told off. "He's a friend. We don't hurt friends remember?"

Turbo threw his head and let out a bleat. Sa lahat ng mamanahin ng mga alaga ko bakit iyong tigas pa ng ulo ko?

"What would you feel if someone hurt Ranger? Paano kung ginawa siyang kaldereta? Gusto mo ba 'yon?"

Humigpit ang pagkakayakap sa akin ni Trace pero sa pagkakataon na ito ay hindi dahil sa kung ano pa man. I felt a shiver run through my spine when he chuckled. Ramdam ko ang init ng hininga niya sa leeg ko.

Taking advantage of my distraction, Turbo went to the side again. Iikot ko sana ulit ang katawan ko pero naramdaman kong binawi ni Trace ang hawak ko na kamay niya at iyon ang ikanawit niya sa bewang ko para itabi ako.

"Trace!" I hissed.

Trace just smiled. Yumuko siya ng bahagya para tignan ang kambing na naghahanda na para suwagin siya.

"Maraming prutas sa Tagaytay. I could give you a lot of them," Trace told Turbo.

Turbo didn't look deterred. He was on a mission for blood.

"Watermelon tastes better than me, Turbo." Napatigil ang kambing at nag-angat iyon ng tingin kay Trace. He clearly knows the word watermelon. "And pears, bananas, peaches, and apples too." The billy goat inclined his head to the side, perhaps gauging the truthfulness of Trace's words. "I promise," sabi ni Trace na itinaas pa ang kamay.

Bago pa makapagdesisyon si Turbo kung paniniwalaan niya ang binata ay nagawa ng makalapit ni Cristiano sa amin. The goat bleated again, but he's no match for Cristiano, who immediately carried him back to the corral.

Nangingiting inabot ni Trace ang kamay ko bago niya ako hinila para sumunod kaila Cristiano. "I promise, Turbo!" Trace called out to the goat that made a sound as if talking back. "Magpapabili na ako ngayon na!"

I rolled my eyes. "You don't need to. Siguradong may mga prutas na si Cristiano na pinabili kay Miss Asencio."

"I need to keep my promise," Trace said with a grin. "I need to make him like me."

"You're going to spoil my animals."

"Then they won't ever want to leave."

Namilog ang mga mata ko sa sinabi niya. Lalo lang lumawak ang ngiti ni Trace na para bang alam kung anong naiisip ko. If my pets won't leave, then I have no choice but to stay too.

I didn't know what to do with that, so I decided to ignore him as well as the thundering inside my chest. Tinalikuran ko siya at naglakad ako pabalik sa kinaroroonan ng mga gamit ko.

"Ember, wait," natatawang sabi ni Trace na humabol sa akin. "Masama na bang manuhol ngayon?"

"Ewan ko sa'yo."

"Para walang susuwag sa akin kapag namanhikan ako."

Muntik akong matalisod sa sinabi niya. Mabuti na lang ay nagawa niyang abutin ang braso ko para mapigilan ako sa pagbagsak.

"E-Ewan ko sa'yo," ulit ko.

"Turbo and Ranger will like me soon, and Albert likes me already. I haven't bonded with the hens yet, but I will, and your horses too. I think Emerald and Ruby are fond of me—"

"Ruby," I gasped, remembering the sly cow. Umikot ako at hindi ko na kailangan mahirapan dahil nakita ko kaagad kung nasaan ang baka. "Ruby!"

Dahil hawak pa rin ako ni Trace, ramdam ko ang paggalaw ng katawan niya. I threw him a look and I saw that he was laughing. Whatever.

"You're a fun date, princess."

"This is not a date," sabi ko sa kaniya bago ko muling binalingan ang baka ko. "Don't you dare!"

"Then I wonder how fun it would be if it were a date?"

I let out a growl of frustration before I can stop it, and Trace just laughed as if he found it adorable. Again. Whatever.

"Stop eating those roses, Ruby!" I shouted.

Ruby looked up from eating the roses. Hindi ko kailangang maging malapit sa kaniya para marinig ang naging sagot niya nang bumuka ang bibig niya. It sounded a hell like a "whatever" but her version of it. "Mooo!"

____________________________End of Chapter 8.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

25.1M 627K 51
A girl that has a lot of names.The lady with different faces and a gangster known for ages.She's calm,fearless and ABNORMAL?! What will happen if t...
21.7K 1.6K 40
World Trip Series 5 Criselda is the breadwinner of their family, even though she's still studying and working part-time, she fulfills the needs of he...
267K 10.1K 66
For Sebastian Lerwick, being a good father, a loving husband, and a loyal member of the mafia are his top priorities. But when he's given a mission t...
900 82 27
SWEETEST FALL SERIES #2 Kung may gusto kang isang tao pero hindi ka niya gusto, gugustuhin mo pa rin ba siya? Paano kung napagtanto mong hindi pala s...