The Sight Of Eternity With You

By WeaselB3e

Harper Nonemacker has transferred as a third year into Hogwarts. The reason for the transfer? She's a Legilim... More

Harper
The First Day Nerves: Third Year Start
Complex Being you are
Halloween frights
Let's Try Quidditch or Trust
Christmas and Dragon Bites
Totally Not Flirting
End of the Year
Come on, Be Our Guest
Fourth Year Blitz
All Signs Point To
Hourglass
Mindless Self Indulgence
Honestly
I was Afraid, I was....
Both Sides of The Story
Loose Cannon
A Little Faster
Check Yes, Harper
The Glorious Fates
This is Halloween
Set it Off
Lonely girl
The Edge
Calm Before The Storm
Under a Paper Moon
Why Worry (About the Sixth Year)
Tell Me Why
The Liars and Sneaks
Caught Up In You
About a Girl
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Five Minutes to Midnight
Future Hearts/ Old Scars
Tell Me I'm a Wreck
Take On The World
When The Chips Are Down
Come To Your Senses
Listen To Your Girl
The Fear of Falling
Hard Times
Homecoming
Harper Is For Lovers
Million Dollar Baby
Haunting Me
Skeptics and True Believers
Harper is our Queen
Give Me Your Hand
What You Make It
If You Could Be Anywhere
Gossip
Electric Love
The Hideaway
Young And Menace
Here With Me
Hurts Like Hell
Till Forever Falls Apart
Love From the Other Side
Alone Together
The World Is Falling Apart
Does Salvation Come?
Heaven Help Us
The Loneliest
Matchsticks
Grow As We Go
Don't Let The Light Go Out
Say You Love Me
Lovefool
Maybe You Saved Me
Dance With Me
Lucky Star
Stay The Night
(Don't) Surrender
Nothing Else Matters
Paper Rings
Be My Escape
Harper's Law
Which to Bury?
In My Head
Out of My Mind
Running Up That Hill
Favorite Place
Dandelions
Your Love Is My Drug
If Not For You
Love Song
Where I Belong
Marry You

Runaway

34 0 2
By WeaselB3e

"Hush now, don't say a word-it's out in the open,
And tell me how can you deal with all this wait?
Speak now, you must have a secret kept down,
Down where you can keep it-I need you to spill your guts."
-Runaway, Cartel

****

Looking at her watch, Harper made her way to Sybill's room. Feeling at peace when she found her favorite cushion and sat beside the oversized chair in the center of the room. Reaching in her bag for her diary and flipping to an empty page.

"You should be out with friends!" Sybill commented, "it's a nice autumn day, I feel the air is crisp and perfect to sit with friends on the grounds.

"It's cozy in here," Harper curled more into her cushion. "I just wanted to stop by, they're all busy with something or other.

"What about classes?" Sybill appeared with a small tray of tea and biscuits, setting beside her chair as she sat down, arranging her many layers of scarves.

"All are fine," Harper shrugged.

"I worry you spending all your time here....with that school being here...." Sybill frowned, sipping her tea. "Your mother knew they were coming, gave me a warning also, but not you?! To not even tell you..." she clicked her tongue, clinking her spoon against the rim of her cup.

"I think if I'd known in advanced, I would've tried to stay home or something," Harper laughed. "They've left me alone so far. Maybe it'll stay that way?"

"Your ability, Severus said you'd done well and that things were manageable."

Harper nodded, "the best it's ever been. But he still says my control is miniscule."

Sybill nodded slightly, slowly shuffling her tarot cards around as they both looked into the crackling fire that spewed sandalwood into the room.

"I have George to thank for it really....stupid bloke made me prioritize myself last year," Harper huffed, she leaned deeper in to the cushion as she crossed her legs, bouncing her foot nervously-furiously writing something in her diary.

"Poppy....I know your destiny has shifted, the air around you is filled with love, but that doesn't mean you should forget yourself in the process."

"Young love will do that," Harper stirred her tea, watching the sugar cube melt before taking a sip.

"I am proud of you," Sybill smiled.

Harper nodded, tapping her foot on the floor slightly as she hummed to herself.

"I haven't heard that tune in a long time," Sybill smiled before joining in.

"So...do you know anything about a dance? Is there one?" Harper asked innocently.

"I do not know, but if there were, I would hazard to guess you'll soon learn of it after the first task."

"Oh, that's no fun, don't you know?"

Sybill gave a wink, sipping her tea as she continued her silence.

Harper rolled her eyes slightly, shaking her head as she looked over her tea leaves. "Good fortune....finally," she smiled to herself. It felt like ages since she'd sat and seen her leaves form something that was promising.

****

"So you're telling me you two still aren't together?"

George looked up at Angelina who was scouring through a tattered looking book, she stopped on a page and was quiet for a moment before closing it shut with a dissatisfied scowl.

"Ange, I gave her the choice and she-"

"We do this every year!" Angelina moaned, leaning forward on the table and sighing dramatically.

"There's other things to worry about right now," George mused.

Angelina gave him a dry look, huffing slightly, "I think it would be beneficial."

"Her diary entries are getting stale aren't they?" George chuckled.

Angelina pulled the tattered book to her side and shook her head, "on the contrary. But we do this dance every year and I really hate watching it all."

"Your odds....how good are they?" George rested his hand on his chin and studied the dark haired girl with a raised eyebrow.

"So good that I'll split with you," Angelina smirked. "Can't you two please make up your minds?!"

"I've made up my mind," George shrugged, his body aching slightly as the familiar pit formed. "Harper is the one who has to make the first move, so talk to her."

"How do you always find my diary?!" Harper snapped as if speaking her name multiple times made her appear, pulling the book from Angelina's hands and glaring at her friend, "I have to move it every night. I can't keep up!"

"Hello, Harpsichord," George smiled as she took a seat beside her best friend. Angelina sticking out her tongue, muttering it's the only way to keep up with the gossip.

"Hello," she smiled at him, her face red as she tucked the diary into her bag.

Angelina gave a wink as she got to her feet, "if I don't check it daily I won't know what other nicknames Diggory has come up for you." Harper's face turned a deeper red at this, Angelina walked off with a satisfied smirk.

George leaned back in his chair, tapping his thumb against the table.

"Harpsichord....what-"

"What happens if we started to see each other while they're here and they just...ruin it?" Her voice was soft, meeting her gaze he felt his heart lurch at the turmoil he could see swimming in her eyes, the gold flecks lost on the sea.

"I wouldn't let them, but I understand your concern," George offered. She gave a small smile, her hand reaching out toward his own, her pinky finger resting by his own. The heat from her hand sending electrical shocks through his arm.

"They're ruthless....always were. Astrid and I grew up together, even before school...she was a tough kid back then and now she's just a bitch," Harper snorted, rubbing her eyes, "honestly. I'd fight Lupin all over again to avoid this."

"Well, don't worry about them for much longer. I have a few plans."

"I watched that girl turn someone's arms into licorice once, George. I wouldn't poke the bear as it were."

"Only if they provoke us first," George winked. Harper rolled eyes slightly, "if that's the only obstacle stopping you then I'll take care of it, Harpsichord."

She was quiet for a moment, playing with the ends of her hair, when she met his gaze her eyes were less intense. The gold flakes shimmered in the dim lighting, his breathing hitched in his throat.

It was the moments like these where he was the one who wished he could read thoughts.

"It's not as fun as you think, Weasley."

He was jolted from his thoughts at Harper's quiet voice, completely frazzled and caught off guard, he saw a look of hurt cross Harper's face for a moment before she got to her feet. Catching her wrist before she got away and closed off her heart for the millionth time, he pulled her close across the table.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean...I let my guard down and it just slipped out, I'm sorry," Harper was whispering, her eyes pleading.

"No, no I'm sorry. I was just contemplating how much I would love to know what was going on in your head when you get reflective like that," George said in a rush.

"Harper! I need your help-"

Ginny's voice trailed off as she came up to the stare down, Harper gave a smile and nodded.

"I understand," she whispered, gently pulling her wrist away and turning to Ginny.

George watched her leave up the stairs, a flash of panic coursed through him when he felt as if he'd ruin his chance again. He couldn't go through last year again. Immediately rushing out the portrait hole he made his way to the passage to Honeydukes cellar.

****
"He surprises you with sugar mice whenever and you two still aren't seeing each other, is that correct?" Marcus laughed as they turned a corner and appeared on the fifth floor, a few students walked around at the further end.

Harper looked at the box of mice that had fallen at her feet twenty minutes ago via a barn owl. She'd been carrying it ever since on their patrol.

"Well...you know, he has an interesting way of showing his appreciation as a friend," she chuckled offering the Slytherin one.

"Did Celeste go over what we're doing tonight?" Marcus asked, taking one of the sweets.

"Only let Hogwarts and Durmstang in, the Beaux-ba-bitches shouldn't know," Harper shrugged with a sigh. She'd agreed to cover the hall during one of Celeste's parties during her patrol with Marcus.

The brunette chuckled slightly at the last name, "two of those girls from there have been asking around about you..."

"Yeah, not surprising. I...I-"

"Transferred from there?" Marcus offered, his eyes flashed with a glint of amusement. While Harper stammered, nodding slightly.

"The infamous transfer who quickly became potions princess and top of our year, I know all about ya, Miss Nonemacker."

"Lovely," Harper pursed her lips together.

"At least it's only good things about you," he shrugged. "She's so lovely, so friendly if you can get her to speak!" He mimicked someone's voice-possibly Celeste's. "So we'll just laze around for about an hour and then keep going round."

"You really don't go to her parties?"

"No I run interference, I might go once if I'm not patrolling, but honestly it's not my scene," Marcus chuckled. "Cele just enjoys dancing with lots of people to loud music."

Harper nodded, staring at the wall across from her, rolling her eyes slightly as she saw the wall shimmer out of focus for a second. The outline of someone's shoulder coming into focus.

"My nan sent me a set of brand new dress robes, did you hear the rumors of a dance happening during all this stuff?" Marcus asked, the two leaning against the wall behind them as they watched the small group of students enter a classroom-clearly tonight's party room.

"I had, even asked Sybill but she was tight lipped to confirm," her eyes flickered over to the wall across from her, she could subtly make out the movement of someone crossing their arms.

"But if its true, this place will be a madhouse," she snickered.

"Think you'll go with Diggory?" Harper shrugged, again she saw the movement, they heard someone clear their throat-Marcus possibly chalking it up to the group of students down the hall going into the empty classroom Celeste was using.

Weasley, you're such an easy target

"Depends on if Weasley drags his feet or not," Harper grinned as she looked only at the wall across from her.

The music from the room boomed into the hall for a moment. Marcus immediately silenced it with a flick of his wand, muttering under his breath about Celeste.

"I think you drag your feet, Nonemacker," Marcus snorted, leaning his head against the wall. "I'm going to tell Celeste to cool it with the music, I'll be back and then we can meet with the others tonight and keep tabs on things." He walked away as Harper nodded.

"You can come out," Harper whispered, watching the wall out the corner of her eye.

"How'd you'd notice me?" George sighed heavily when he emerged, he was leaning against the wall, twirling the tattered hat around his hand with a smirk.

"You fidget too much," Harper smiled.

"I was waiting for Turner to say something slick," he shrugged.

"What're you doing around here?"

"Oh...this and that," George winked, "nothing to concern your pretty prefect head over."

"George..." she folded her arms and frowned at him.

"Who would've thought you'd be a look out for Celeste's parties now," George mused.

"The unfortunate trade of working with Turner is having to do this if the stars align. It's not bad though, it's certainly the most exciting thing I do on patrols now a days."

George smiled, resting his cheek against his hand, leaning his elbow on the wall just above Harper's shoulder. The scent of cinnamon invaded her senses, her breathing catching in her throat as she realized just how close George was standing. "So if there is a dance like Turner was saying-"

"-I'd go with Freddie," Harper smirked, George's eyes flashed as he sneered down at her.

"Harpsichord..." Harper shrugged, rubbing her arms slightly as she tried to hold in her laugh. "About earlier though, I'm sorry, just-"

"Oh no...don't..." Harper waved him off.

"I thought you said you'd practically mastered it last year?"

"Like I've said before..." she breathed, "you affect me differently." Her eyes going big as she looked up at him.

George smiled, leaning closer, their noses millimeters apart as she stared into those brown orbs. "So...I'm like really important to you then?" Harper swallowed the lump in her throat as she shook slightly, loss for words. George began to laugh, leaning closer to her.

"You're on super thin ice," Harper whispered.

"Always am, love," George winked with a chuckle, leaning closer.

"I think you should be on your way before anyone else shows up," her gaze moving to his lips as she continued to observe just how close they were.

"I do have somewhere to be...I'll see you in a bit," he smirked, putting the hat back on and disappearing from view. Harper stared ahead of her, noticing George hadn't moved from his spot, down the hall she saw Marcus talking to Celeste. Quickly leaning up, she pressed her lips where she believed his cheek was.

"Be seeing you, George, thank you for my mice," she whispered before rushing off after the two Slytherins.

***
Harper sat in the common room with Ginny and Hermione, the three casually doing their own work, Harper occasionally proof reading Ginny's work while Hermione rolled her eyes over Harry's poor excuse of words.

"I can't believe Harry got selected....how does he always find himself in this kind of mess?" Ginny shook her head as she rolled up one of her scrolls.

"Something happened with that cup," Hermione whispered. Harper sighed as she nodded in agreement.

"There's something fishy going on...per usual," Harper commented.

"I suppose Ron is royally pissed for no reason?" Hermione nodded at this, Harper scoffed, "what about Cedric? How's he feel?"

"Ced and I agreed no tournament talk during our patrols together, since I'm in Gryffindor with Harry and all...But he's excited," Harper gave a small smile as she nodded.

"Harper? There's some Beauxbatons asking about you....was that where you transferred from?" Ginny asked cautiously, she looked nervous and regretful for bringing up the topic.

"Oh? erm....it was," Harper cleared her throat. "What...what exactly were they asking?"

"How long you've been here...and just little things, like who you spent your time with," Ginny frowned as she tried to remember. "I think they asked me if you had any weird habits? Which I didn't really get."

Harper nodded, sighing as she noticed Fred and George hurrying to her side.

"Hello ladies-"

"Sorry but we're going to have to steal our prefect away," George gave a tight smile.

Before the girls could protest, Harper was lifted up by her elbows and hoisted upstairs to their dormitory.

"Harpsichord, your friends are causing quite a scene around school this week," George frowned.

"Moments away from blowing up some toilets and we get caught by Diggory who tells us this too?!" Fred shook his head.

"Which toilets exactly?" Harper pursed her lips together, folding her arms across her chest.

"That's not the point," George waved off her question.

"We have to do something about those two before this gets worse," Fred frowned.

"Yeah, we need to-"

"Do nothing," Harper interrupted. "If you do anything that'll just put a bigger target on my back. It'll draw more attention to me, attention I don't want. I can handle things on my own."

The twins frowned at each other, "at least need to tell McGonagall," George offered.

Harper nodded, "I'll handle that myself then. But seriously don't," she pleaded with them as she sighed.

George glanced at Fred and nodded slightly, "how about you go back to Gin and Hermione, Harpsichord?"

Fred gave his best innocent smile, "we need to-"

"-Wash our hair," George began pushing Harper out of the door.

"Oi oi oi oi! Wait a ruddy second!" Harper stopped George from pushing her again. "What're you two scheming?"

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it," George tapped her head and winked, "just keep being the innocent prefect we love, and we'll take care of the rest."

Before Harper could protest anymore, George shut the door in her face.

"Tosspots," Harper hissed at the door before walking back downstairs.

***
"What's the meaning of this?!" Angelina brandished Harper's diary under her nose, blocking Harper from enjoying her book beside the fireside.

"Oi! That's my diary!" Her face flushed as she tried to snatch it away.

"You kissed him?!"

"On the cheek! Ange! The cheek!"

People around the room were watching Harper jump for her diary in Angelina's hands while Angelina hopped around the empty furniture. To onlookers the sight was mildly amusing.

"You're such a bitch!"

"And you're a tease!"

The girls continued bickering until Harper lunged herself at Angelina's midriff and knocked her off the couch and to the floor with a thud.

"Oi aren't you a prefect?!" Angelina huffed, holding her torso as she groaned from the impact.

"Why are you so insistent on reading my diary?!" Harper said with a heavy sigh, getting to her feet and fixing her jumper.

"Because I know you won't tell us if those girls do anything, I'm trying to keep a better eye on you," Angelina said, offering the diary up.

Harper snatched at it and glared, unable to refute her friend's statement. Angelina patted her shoulder, giving a worried smile.

"If I don't pry, I'll never know. And what if something really bad happens?"

"If something bad happens you'll know immediately, the school is terrible at secrets," Harper nodded once, "but you gotta stop doing it where George can find you with it."

"Oh no, he refuses to read it," Angelina snorted, shaking her head. "I could start reading something aloud and the bloke runs off."

"Why don't I believe that," Harper muttered, Angelina gave a wink as the two sat down beside the fire.

"But come on....were you really going to keep this information from me?!" Angelina lowered her voice, tucking her legs under her and grinning, leaning forward for details.

"Nothing happened," she gave a lazy wave and sighed. She'd had her run in with George in the corridor a few days ago now and neither seemed to act as if it'd happen. Harper chalked it up to him wanting her to confirm if her spur of the moment action really meant something to her.

"Mmmm, why don't I believe that?" Angelina snickered just as Fred and George's arms appeared on either arm rest of Harper's chair.

"Ladies, if you'd be so kind as to follow us for a moment," Fred winked, holding his hand for Angelina.

Harper smiling as she took George's outstretched hand and the four hurried along the corridors until they were finally by the windows of the astronomy tower courtyard. George gently took Harper's shoulders and positioned her against the window frame so she stood before him.

"Nice evening out," George mused. He pointed his wand toward the large tree that sat diagonal to them. Beneath it were Marz and Astrid with a few other Beauxbatons that Harper vaguely recognized. Marz was opening a box just in time for a dung bomb to go off, spewing its contents on the group as they all scattered. The courtyard was a fog of stench as small lights began flickering in the cloud of smoke that formed. Harper watched as fireworks came to life, she started laughing at the chaos that was being caused.

George flicked his wand and the smoke cleared, she could make out students coughing and gagging at the smell as they caught their bearings. Harper stifled a laugh when she saw Marz and Astrid sporting wild animal ears and noses, their faces totally transformed into a red panda and a moose. Harper doubled over laughing at the sight.

"Oh this is so wonderful," Harper was gasping between breaths, holding her torso as she laughed.

"Oh we did you one better, Harpsichord. Creevey is getting us pictures, George announced proudly.

Harper smiled over at him, her heart stopping and slamming into her ribs when she realized he was hovering over her, there was maybe several inches between them as he leaned over the windowsill with her between his arms. That comforting scent of cinnamon and lit match sticks wafted over her, her eyes dropped to his smile-her heartbeat was in her ears as she continued to stare.

Harper!

Harper jumped a mile in the air and spun around, knocking George away and turning to Angelina who had raised eyebrows and a knowing smirk on her face.

"Did you hear me at all?" Angelina asked.

"No..." Harper stammered, her face flushing a deep red as she heard George chuckling beside her.

Angelina rolled her eyes slightly, pulling Harper along and away from the twins who stayed behind to watch their handiwork.

"You're so in love with him," Angelina whispered as she laughed.

"I..I...really am...." She paused for a moment, Angelina catching on before Harper cleared her throat, "am not."

"Harps, I beg you to use legilimency just to watch that moment again," Angelina's laugh echoed around the corridor.

****
Harper sat up in bed, curtains closed, the sounds of her friends sleeping peacefully around her as she tried to calm her nerves. It had been a little over two months since school started and every night Harper had a nightmare. Tonight's seemed to be somehow worse than the other evenings.

Quietly getting out of her bed, she walked downstairs and looked over to the stairs that led to the boys dormitories, frowning as she quietly went up until she got to the sixth year door.

Standing in front of it for several minutes, she held her hand out, wanting to knock. But what would she tell him? She didn't want to discuss her nightmares, but she was terrified to return to sleep.

Sighing, she returned to the common room, the fire had completely died now. She frowned and tucked her legs under her, leaning her head back on her favorite chair. Slowly trying to close her eyes, if she didn't fall asleep in ten minutes she'd go to Sybill's.

"Harpsichord?"

She opened her eyes to see a concerned George standing above her, he had his blanket roughly folded in his arms as he smiled.

"Why're you up?" She smiled.

"Working on the fever fudge," he looked around the common room. "It is a bit late, isn't it?"

"Good thing the first task is tomorrow, it'll be a nice easy day," Harper nodded, lacing her fingers together.

"Why did you come up? Did you need me?" George asked, taking a seat on the floor in front of her.

"I didn't come up," Harper lied horribly.

"Harpsichord, I saw your shadow and I saw you walking back down."

Harper sighed slightly, "just restless. Everything is making me restless."

"Things are fine....you're being left alone by them correct?"

"I am...although all the prefects are telling me that they're being hounded questions about me still. Hermione and Ginny said they were as well."

"If it gets worse-"

"I'm going to McGonagall. But...it's fine right now," she whispered, yawning slightly as her head lulled to one side.

"Harpsichord...."

"I keep having this nightmare that my secret gets out, and every single student just....hexes me to oblivion." Harper paused for a moment, "I don't want to be expelled again..."

"I'd never let you get expelled here," George spoke sincerely.

Harper pressed her face into the soft fabric of her chair, trying not to cry as she shook slightly. She felt George's arms pull her up from her slouched position before he awkwardly squished himself on the chair with her. His hands gently brushing through her hair.

"Erm...there is a couch? That would be comfier?" Harper quirked an eyebrow, his arms gently going around her, pulling her to his chest.

"That would've been a bit preferable but you also would've run away," George chuckled, shifting his hips so they were out at an angle as he studied her.

"I...I wouldn't have," Harper whispered, dropping her gaze, a blush traveling up her neck.

George chuckled, getting to his feet and pulling her over to the couch, he sat down fully facing the fireplace and pulled Harper beside him. He grabbed his blanket from the ground, wrapping it around Harper in a cocoon.

"Sort of reminds me of...my first year here," Harper chuckled slightly.

"Right, only this time I'm not sweaty sitting beside you," George snorted.

Sitting beside him she felt that ball of emotions that was attempting to swallow her whole, stop. As if George was a grounding force for her, the longer she sat beside him, the more she noticed she no longer wanted to cry or felt the ever present fear of what her old classmates were attempting to do behind her back.

"Feeling better?" 

Harper met his gaze, he sat with a smug look on his face as she nodded slightly.

"So I am really important to you," his smile was huge as he chuckled.

"Oh shut it," Harper muttered, her face a brilliant red.

He laughed as Harper rested her head against his shoulder, fidgeting with her nails as she sighed deeply. Her eyes getting heavier.

"So the fever fudge....I need to fix it, but I'm stuck," George mused, she could feel him resting his cheek against the top of her head.

"Mmmm"

Her eyes wouldn't open as she slowly drifted off to sleep, listening to George's heartbeat fast under his jumper. It was hard to listen to George talk as she slowly drifted off to sleep.

In the morning, Harper was woken by Hermione who gave her a concerned look. George was nowhere in sight, his blanket draped securely over her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 5.9K 62
Safeiarrah Celeste Phoenix have had a deep liking to her best friend, Fred. She's said nothing about her feelings to him, to anyone at all. He didn't...
12.9K 441 43
⚠️ ABANDONED ⚠️ "Somehow, whenever I'm with you, its like I'm closer to the stars." ... WARNING: this story DOES NOT contain actual smut or sexual...
8.3K 184 42
Time, curious time Gave me no compasses, gave me no signs Were there clues I didn't see? And isn't it just so pretty to think All along there was som...
2.2M 57.8K 81
The Wizarding War had been won and professor McGonagall had filled the position of Headmistress of Hogwarts. Draco's father, Lucius Malfoy, had been...