Mafia's Right-Hand Woman

By SinQuill_PassionInk

"Ivy." He drawls out almost casually but the intruders felt the chills, their Goosebumps gave me strength. It... More

1 Escape
2 Intruder
3 In need
4 Exposed
5 Exposure
6 Interrogation
7 Pledge
8 Conviction
9 Nightmare
10 Bath
11 Patience
12 Errands
13 Hazard
14 Combat
15 Crew
16 Transparency
17 Apex
18 Office
19 Training
20 Dinner
21 Defence
22 Bold
23 Punishment
24 Assemblage
25 Gathering
26 Rendezvous
27 Hacked
28 Captured
29 Concede
30 Awakens
31 Triggered
32
33 Rescued
34.
35 Runaway Thoughts
36 Happy New Year!
37 Struggles with Escape
38. Caught By Him
39. Captive
40. Exemption
41. Past In Touch
42
43
44.
45.
46. Runaway
47.

48

349 10 1
By SinQuill_PassionInk

I open the door to Vittorio, expecting a smirk or some sort of expression, but none comes. Instead his mouth remains an uncharacteristic grim line amid his stubble.

It's been three days, there hadn't been any contact..
Usually seina attends to the doorcall,
She is mostly dull these days, slow response, avoiding gaze,
She was so lost in kneading the dough, that I received this opportunity to lay my eyes on him first, I'll be receiving his first-hand emotions or scoop.

"Derrick" Almost robotically his hand rises upward and passes me a Document paper, "..has left us." his eyes almost as still as some corpse.

"He is Dead!" He grunts like a roar, his eyes bloodshot, His fist lands on the wall, right by my neck, I blink.

WHAT!??

"wHAaT!??" Seina's eyes balls out of her socket. The lights in the hallway are off only a dim bulb lit the threshold, She stood in the shadows far inside.

Her ears really are hyper-sensitive.

"Oh OH MY LORD!" She is panting, Her rolling pin slip away, It produces a clattering sound, registering shock. She's real scared now.
I wonder of whom? maybe that's her reaction in grievance.

Seina's brain stutters for a moment and her eyes take in more light than she expected, Every part of her goes on pause while her thoughts catch up. After a wash of cold she step from the shadows. Vittorio has turned away from me to face her. she place one hand on his shoulder did I notice he's slouched forward, as if defeated "He's at peace now, make him proud." she gave him pats and rubs on the back while he rested his forehead on her shoulder, she leaned her cheek over him. "He was a good man." she was sniffing, scoffing to hold her own breakdown. "He's watching us, Be brave."

They kept exchanging small dialogues, Comforting ones. Words, that refuse to roll off my tongue, I loose my voice when they're at the tip of slipping out in the open. Sentences that are engraved as a Taboo.

I can bite cheek, but the vibe they are radiating, I feel my ribs cracking but I'm incapable of acting out.

Atfirst I took it as a news, an info that we have to bring it in our habits not seeing this person anymore.

Now I feel The Worst of it. It's 2 AM and all the sleep has gone.

I half anticipate her other arm to stretch and engulf me as well. Wounds of the past were breaking loose.
I shield my eyes lowering lashes look down at my cold feet, Now do I realize, from days seina has been ignoring me.

It was a long night.

Later in the afternoon, in his office, I get the time to go through the page he handed me.
It was a report on health and ..the reason of death mentioned. Died of failed liver surgery due to old age. What a lie! I wonder what they paint in my reason of death.

Vittorio enter a minute late, a large envelope in his hand with hospital's credentials on it. Same as the one that's already kept on his table.

"You got checked up too?"

"No." He organise the scattered files to his left.

Franco enters right after and I do not question further.

"That's Secretary's job." He scoffs.

Dereck!
He use to take care.
Though he taught me,
It was for his absence.

He was preparing me for this time.

Like I'd be permanent.

"I will. Rightaway, Sir!"
Maybe I'll be teaching someone else.
..Keep the wheel moving.

"Sit down!" He smack the newspaper roll on my head.

"Franc, You too."

That meant it's going to be hell of a discussion.
Decisions will be made.
Where I'll actively have to decide. Give my approval or denial and it'll be counted.
Things will change.

This is my first time as a participant.
Spine straighten, clear throat- check.

"As you know, Arnoldo is getting treated at cottage D7, guarded, Everyone is expected to be on alert at all times." This is a reminder.
I am shifted to the second floor next to his room as well.
The cottage is one among several within estate's premises.

"This inconvenience is to remind you to not cause damage so much for so little." Our eyes met! NO. He intentionally gave me that stern look.

"Sorry, Sir." I croak.

"I am thankful and appreciate how handled the situation well. And that's why You get a bigger room."

"Thank You, Sir." A bigger stuffed roasted chicken would've been better.

"Franco, Would you like to be my Right Hand." Vittorio propose and The silence that fell after
everyone seem to sink in the veracity of our reality, the fact that it establish a shift in power. Positions are going to be changed. Different regards, New Responsibility.

"And Accompany you everywhere?" Franco finally question. Vitto Nod.

"Who's going to Train the boys? You think Stranger can handle 'em?"

"Any of your underlings? Who you trust, promote 'em?"

"I do have five I can bet my money on."

"Who do you bet your life on, Franco?"

"Two, you know 'em. Carlos and Ian."

"Then what do you think?"

It was clear he was trying to promote the two to franco's position as a trainer and Guard. which should ease out Franco's dilemma.

"Instead. Boss, I would like to recommend Carlos as Your Right Hand." Franco held Excitement as if showing off his best product to the customer.

Again, the strained long Silence.

"What's so good about him?" Vittorio lifts his brow in anticipation.
That excitement of gaining the extraordinary product, that expression was it.

"He proves to be of benefit for anyone around him. He moulds into your personality if that makes his work easier. I can tell 'cause I see him do it all the time. Moreover, For Example, I read Ivy's very bad report earlier." he says as he hands out two files, headlines read of the recent incident, they were carlos and mine. "My Guy Has great corporative desk skills." He slice further my esteem with one side of the sword and butter up the other with one edge.

We both follow vittorio's eyes skimming through pages as he reads. He was done with mine in two minutes.
I suppose not because it's a lot comprising in two long pages but because he already read it before.
I didn't like he kept surfing those five pages of that corporate pig.

All we receive was a long hmm afore nod in response when he lift his head again.

"What's so great about him?" I examine his file. All difficult words. What's so great about complicated things!? Assho!!

"Call him in." Vitto chime! that reverberated to me like 'appointed already!'

The guard outside was called in. I glare who is to bring the ultra genius in as Franco directs him. The boy met my eyes for a sec -stiffened, as he was being told what to do, answers with a panicked- "YES MA'AM!" And sprints away.
Franco burst into a throaty laughter and Vittorio helplessly managed to not let his Snicker come to notice.

I only thank God for they didn't probe my actions.

My back to the door I hear shut. An earthy scent swirled in as the newcomer walk past me. He pause only when he was front and center to Mr. D'Onofrio. His features, They were a-flicker with curiosity over a genial smile.

Carlos greets Vittorio and he regards him with an approving nod.

"Say Carlos, about the recent breakout, what's your say on it?"

"It should have been an easier deal, an attorney could've gotten his signature. It saves three days worth of time and casualties. With countless breaches and offenses, there would have been no resistance on his part. Without physical force he would have surrendered."

I. AM. BLOWN AWAY!

That's a more peaceful way around it.

I felt so dumbfounded, I swallow.

Vittorio was highly impressed, his proud smirk was on display.

He has won over two most difficult people to please.

"Is that right? Ms. Ivy." He glanced sideways where i sat. He has a cynical air about him.

I stood up n deadpan "Yes. Without fun."

Seconds flew by, before I knew it we were fighting a staredown contest.

"Ay! Carlos." Vittorio break in with his roar.
His attention back to boss as he continued.
"we are going on a new mission and plan to put you into good use. I consider you have no problem." He stared right through the boy's soul.

"Yes, sir!" Carlos screamed! His eyes turn into a pair of twinkling stars.

Franco, the commander throw wink his way and the boy suppress a cheeky grin.

What do I do here?

"Welcome on board!" I cheer, not to come off as rude.

And

Am

Royally

Ignored.

He didn't look this way. His lovey dovey eyes were locked with franco's.

Well it's his moment. There's hell to shoulder later anyways.

The little congratulatory moment spares me some minutes to myself.

Remembering earlier incidents..

I feel so out of place. I am not needed. I am unnecessary.
If i was never here less people would be hurt. One death less. Rescue plan would be carried out peacefully without my intervention anyways. Those people who look at me like I'm an unwanted puddle of mud, it wouldn't ever happen.
I was never meant to be here in the first place.

I taste the copper of my blood I draw from the inside of my cheek. My nostrils flare not in anger but something inflaming the sinus triggering my tearbags. I quickly draws in long breaths to keep myself from spilling out.

"Thank you, Ivy." Vittorio saves the day, he continues more of a warning. "I am expecting you on lot more missions so make sure to stay alive."

Carlos nods frantically. Since he wasn't yet ordered to Leave he takes his place standing behind Franco.
Then it clicks me, that formation. He had always been standing behind the commander.

And with that settled the meeting progress to further challenging issues.

The most awkward one was dereck funeral procession planning.

"The Caroselli Family leader has been captured, aka Arnoldo. Any family, as an outsider involved will be considered a traitor, aka Vittorio D'Onofrio." Franco address the situation at hand.

"Number of my existing allies will back out in fear." vittorio kept staring at the ceiling as contemplate adding to the facts.

"Some may take chance n join forces together to conspire against Vittorio n take him down, aye." Franco stares dead into Carlos soul as he lets him in on the issue need to be dealt with.
"Essentially, jeopardizing his position and Goal." Carlos breaks down to the worst conclusion.

"We will have to Create an alibi for Arnoldo's disappearance! And materialize evidences for advocate incharge." I offer the most prominent solution. The one I am very used to, from the start of my working years.

"Right." Vittorio gave me an approving nod.

"But there's not enough resources or time for that much digging and serving." Carlos cuts in wearing a worry brow.

"No 'but' Carlos. Speed up. Lose sleep. Don't eat. Sacrifice! Hell go any lengths!" He leans closer to him from across the table, like a threat. "bring! the RESULT!"

"Sir." His salute fueled with adrenaline rush.

"We never fall under suspicion. Our name shouldn't mentioned. Not even once. Not in newspaper. Not in news. Not in gossips. Not in Court! Is that clear? Carlos Mackenzie?"

He forehead breaks into sweat as he moves his head in understanding. "Yes sir."

"Will you be able to do it? Or I appoint someone else?"

"Sir! I'll do it. You can trust me, Sir." He panick and Vittorio after a reluctant stare Down, judging him. He lets him be. "Any questions you can ask me or Frank."

He complies and after discussion over other issues, he is entrusted with three more jobs to deal with. Everyone is dismissed.

"Any file you need from here, ask ivy." It meant no one enters the office in his absence but me.

I have a very good reason why it's me. I have zero Degree of sense when it comes to memorizing, maintaining or recording credentials, documentation or identification.
If he is precise enough. I can get what he needs. But if he's tricking me into achieving something off records he'll be busted.

I follow behind Carlos when we leave the office. The two men make their way to the living room, as they talk about the recent loss, opposite to where we were headed.

"You're my senior! Why do You have less work on YoUr plate?" Carlos blurts out of nowhere, I stop, eye him.
What does that mean? We just got acquainted officially and that's a lot of words.

"Dunno." I shrug, my stances relaxed.
"My work doesn't knock on the door before befalling on me, it just crashes onto me as it pleases. I recieve orders at the least expected time and place."

I add "You're smart. You'll be done before you know it." pat his arm, for the peace of his mind. His shoulders are hunched up. "Plainly, it's a little work less with threats cut down." i do my best to sugarcoat Vettorio's intentions. Carlos shoulders inch lower, lips curled down. Boss had let loose too much responsibility for a first timer.

He nods, Red. Looks at my shoes.
"I look up to you. Thanks for your encouraging words." And leaves while I stood there. Heat crawls up my ears. My heart beat loud enough to reach my senses.

"Why are you stuffing your face in your hands aye?" i come out of my trance to two pair of eyes watching intently, Franco backed away oogling like I'd blow up any second now.

Vittorio tear eyes from the far end corner where Carlos had just turned to disappear.

"Did that boy said something atrocious aye?" Franco lifted a brow n something tells me that it might mean bad for him. "Anything but." I present myself as overwhelmed.
"He's aye diligent boy. Put up with him.. he'll adopt your ways in no time." He motions his hands in circle struggles as he explains his students he loves like his own.

"On the contrary I think there's plenty for me to learn from him. I look forward to work with him." I put him at ease with my honest confession, he is tight lipped but hmms in relief.

Behind him Vittorio arrows his thumb at the office door. He wore Not sneaky, but stern expression.

Franco turns around first, and unfurled another unavoidable convo.

I stood far behind now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190K 4.9K 33
{COMPLETED in MAFIA SERIES} Love was dangerous especially for people who were dangerous themselves. Sometimes it wasn't fair whom you had to fall for...
8.3M 219K 82
The Mafia Heirs #1 Azalea (Lea), known as the 'Deadly', is a twenty years old assassin, who has had only one goal in her life : Avenge her parents' d...
Capoโ˜‘๏ธ By Lia

Mystery / Thriller

53.8K 1.6K 24
"How do you run the mafia?" he questions, wiping the corner of his mouth. "Well, I ground myself enough to not let the power get to my head, but I l...
292K 8.8K 43
Just as they thought I was going to pull the trigger I moved my gun and walked to the man in the crowd. Everyone formed a circle around us. "Why?" I...