Little Game

By Ela_banana

[[COMPLETED]] "Life's a little game that people play." ____ Isabella Sofia Torres was someone who was born in... More

HI, WELCOME
Characters
Prologue 01
Prologue 02
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 07
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Notes
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
This is The End

Chapter 53

1K 87 25
By Ela_banana

A person could be compared to a candle. A single light could be related to hope which could flicker with a single gentle blow. A candle that stands strong for so long could melt. A candle could only survive for so long.

Isabella had hid her pain in a cloak of joy, wondering if it could cover every hole of woeful memory she had. Inside her was a child who longed for an answer that could never be given. A child who wondered for a long time.

She hid herself with a smile, hoping nobody could see the tears that fell whilst trying to maintain the smile that had become too forceful.

Isabella had accepted that the life for her was a life where people could come and go. Friends that disappears in the wind, families who just becomes memories.

She was fine.

Until she wasn't.

The moment Isabella heard they were coming, every control-every part of her that built up a wall that prevented her from any pain and suffering- crumbled down.

Angry?

Why?

Why should they be the one angry?

"What should we do, Bella?"

Isabella realized that Raphael was asking her. He was letting her decide on what to do. She realized that all of them were. Dmitri was looking at her expectantly. She knew he would accept whatever decision she'll make and would gladly help her in any way he can. Ezri, with his usual kind and gentle look on his face that would be there to support her every step of the way.

Ezri. For some reason, there was something about Ezri that Isabella just realized. She really had a long way to go about stuff like these but she realized that she shouldn't have trusted him as much as she did.

Ezri had been and still is kind and gentle. However, he was also brought up by her grandmother as a 'friend.' Who was Ezri before he was the Ezri she has now? What made him so worthy to be plucked somewhere by my grandmother and to be presented to me as a playmate?

Isabella doesn't know a lot about Ezri. She doesn't know his birthday, she doesn't know his origin, his favorite food, his favorite drink, his family history, his life before he met her.

Isabella swallowed heavily, trying to shove that constant train of thoughts away. She can't lose a friend. She just can't.

After losing Nicolai and her family, the feeling of abandonment just doesn't sit well with her. It feels like something is shattering her insides whenever she thinks of it. Loss is something she doesn't want and it's something she doesn't need right now.

Isabella tramples the feeling of panic welling up inside her. Panic is a monster that she doesn't need at the moment. She needs a calm mind like water that hasn't been bothered.

"Let them be." Isabella decided after she realized that she's been silent for too long. She tried to sound casual and aloof, tried to act like a person who doesn't care but her voice betrayed her.

Raphael nodded. "Okay..." He muttered in fear. "Look, Bella. I'm so sorry that this-"

"I don't need you to apologize." Isabella sighed loudly, sounding too tired and too fed up with everything. "It wasn't your fault. This situation isn't your fault."

Raphael nodded. "Okay..." He whispered, looking at her worriedly.

"How about the guests?" Dmitri butted in, looking at her. Isabella was jealous that he could sound so casual despite the crushing information that the rest of Isabella's family is coming.

She blew out a shuddering breath out. "Just..." I muttered, looking away from them. "Get them away from me. This party's over."

Too early to be over.

Ezri looked at her in surprise. "But Isabel-"

"Those guests... I don't know them, Ezri. They aren't family nor do I have any connections with them whatsoever. They're just strangers. So, this day's done." I said sternly, hoping he'd back off.

But he didn't back dow. He was probably hoping that she would think things over. Ezri smiled nervously. "But it's your birthday-"

"And it's over even before it started." Isabella said firmly, narrowing her eyes at him. "It's done, Ezri. Drop it already."

There was some pain that flashed before his eyes. It was something that told her that it's the kind of pain that was just a seed that he nurtured as he grew. Guilt bloomed in her heart but it was too late to take back what she said. Not that she would. She really doesn't want a birthday party anymore. She was too tired to play host.

Dmitri nodded, following her orders without any complaints. Raphael told them that he would wait for Isabella's family outside, leaving her with Ezri.

The tension was thick and suffocating. She didn't want to be in it or even confront it at the moment but since she was left alone with Ezri, it looked like she would have to.

"I know birthdays are important for you-" She started.

"Es más que importante para mí, Isabel." He says sharply, effectively cutting her off. He looked and sounded more upset than she realized and she didn't really know what to do with it or even what to say to Ezri that could placate him.

(It's more than important to me.)

Isabella sighed. "I can't and I won't let them see the issue that is about to come, Ezri." She said sternly, crossing her arms.

As though some switch has turned on in Ezri's mind, he whips his head to look at her. His eyes were desperate and, at the same time, filled with disappointment. Maybe even a little bit of anger there.

"Well, you can make it not an issue. You can talk to them and not make it an issue, Isabel." He said. "Por favor. Todos los esfuerzos que ha hecho Dmitri serán en vano..." He said pleadingly.

(Please. All the efforts that Dmitri has made will be wasted.)

It was as though he thinks that she can stop making it an issue. Them being back was already an issue. Them probably mauling her alive would probably even be one of the goals that they would have for her once they return.

She knows the efforts that he has given her. Isabella would forever be grateful for Dmitri for being such a great person. She's already absolutely guilty for ruining all the planning and organizing that this birthday party required.

She is guilty and very disappointed that she couldn't even finish half of this day without something upsetting popping out of nowhere. It's a vicious and miserable cycle of feeling guilt and tiredness that she just seemed to can't get rid of. It was like an endless ride of a rollercoaster.

"You're more worried for that?" Isabella asked a little to harshly than intended. "I'm sorry I ruined such a nice day and party but I just can't do that right now. All those people didn't came for me. They're strangers, Ezri. I don't know them and they don't know me. Look, the party's already doomed from the start." She sighed, looking away.

Ezri clenched his fist and looked away from her as well with an upset look plastered on his face. "Why couldn't you be grateful for once?" He muttered.

He probably thought that she didn't hear him but she did. And it hurts. More than she would like to admit. Was she ungrateful? Was she overreacting? So, should she just paint a smile on her face as she greets those people at the party while she tries to avoid the disgusting pit in her head that screams that she's tired? That her family was actually coming after years of no words from them? Was that what Ezri wants?

It hurts. She was ungrateful then. It hurts because Ezri can't understand how painful it was to be left alone like what they did. How painful it was to be left alone in a home that reminded her of them. How painful to be abandoned, to be told that she was just tiring for them to take care of. It hurts because she doesn't even know what she did wrong.

What did she do wrong?

What did she do wrong that made them leave so suddenly? Was it her? Were they just pretending that they liked her? That they loved her? What did she do wrong? She needs someone to tell her so that she could sleep at night without the questions keeping her awake.

After an hour of unbearable silence, Raphael returned again with an anxious look plastered on his face. "They're here."

Those words made her heart hammer against her chest. Her mind felt stuffy and she suddenly felt feverishly warm. She didn't know what to do, or what to say first.

At the corner of her eyes, she saw Dmitri coming back to them, indicating that he was finished guiding the guests back to their respective cars and probably apologizing for cutting the birthday party short.

"It's going to be okay." Ezri spoke once again after an hour of giving her the silent treatment. "You're going to be fine."

When had those words become understatement? When had everything went downhill so fast?

He had a beard now instead of just a simple stubble, and his hair was longer and even more gray than previously. He appeared scarier, more stern, and older. He appeared to be on high alert from the rigidity of his stance.

Behind him were her brothers.

Anthony appeared worn out and irritated. He had scars all over his arms. He had more muscle on his physique now. He no longer had the amiable expression he had before. She no longer knew Anthony as she once had.

More so than before, Lucious was terrifying. The mocking smirks he used to regularly give her while he was making jokes with her were gone. He no longer has the light in his eyes. The older brother she had once known was gone. He was replaced by someone else after his departure.

And charming Elois, who was formerly patient with everyone. Of all of them, he was the sweetest and funniest brother she had ever known. Like no one else, he could understand her. He knew her like the back of his hand. Where was he right now? Gone.

Where were they?

Where were the people she once knew? The people she once played with. The people she once shared jokes with? Where were they? She couldn't find them anymore. The people in front of her were strangers.

Suddenly, Elois charged at her even before she could comprehend what was happening.

Silence overtook the whole room when he gave her a hard slap to the point where her moved to the direction of the slap. She felt the stinging pain and the unbearable disbelief that followed after it.

She looked at her brother in shock before she was given another one.

"How dare you!" He shouted, grabbing hold of her collar.

Raphael was about to move towards them when Romeo pointed the gun towards his temple. "Don't move." He ordered.

Isabella couldn't beleive Romeo was there as well. Ezri backed away in shock, looking at Elois in horror.

"E-Elo-"

"You played us!" He started, glaring dangerously at her, his hand gripped he collar tight and she felt like she was going to hyperventilate from panic.

She looked at him in fear. "W-What?" She asked in shock. She sounds breathless, as though she was running out of air.

"Apparently, we just learned that a certain Cattaneo was silently breaking the connections with other families as well as the businesses that we, and dear abuela, worked so hard to create." Anthony explained, sounding aloof. He moved closer to them and her heart was pounding violently against her chest. "Who else is a Cattaneo that could have such power over things?"

"Like a mice." Lucius growled, his eyes glinting dangerously at her, making her legs wobbly with fear.

She knew.

She knew already from the moment he asked her that question that it was her they were blaming.

Who else was a Torres in the room? Them and her. And she knew that they already believed it was her who broke the things they worked hard upon.

"Why would you do this to us?" Elois demanded.

"I-I didn't!" She said in horror. She couldn't believe they would blame her for this. Did someone frame her? Who would? "I didn't do those things!" She exclaimed in shock.

"Liar!"

______

I have updated twice as a sign of apology for not being able to update for a long time! I shall provide this chapter and I shall await for an apology accepted..... ༎ຶ⁠‿⁠༎ຶ

plus THEY ARE BACK. HOORAH!!

But they're being mean butts at the moment. Looks like the fun's about to begin ಠ⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ⁠ಠ

Well, my fun. I'll be having fun for what's about to begin (⁠。⁠•̀⁠ᴗ⁠-⁠)⁠✧

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

128K 3.9K 53
The Delgado siblings have had their lives turned around; with the inevitable appearance of a familiar face finally upon them and a whole new risk of...
106K 3K 37
Francisca was only 10 years old when her mother decided to pack hers and Francisca's things and leave their home along with Fran's father and 2 olde...
77.9K 1.9K 53
"Bella, if you don't wake up, I'm gonna check your phone" That Is all Gabriele says for her to jolt up. "I'm up! I'm up! I'm up!" I said panting and...
kindred By Madi Lee

Teen Fiction

924K 22.3K 47
All Adeline Kingston has known is pain. Years of agony, anguish and anger. Brothers. Addie has 7, not that she knew. When she is reunited with her ol...