When All is Lost

By NinaMarks

Trapped in the last pocket of society that hasn't fallen to the apocalypse, Kate will have to choose how much... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Epilogue

Chapter 18

1.3K 124 5
By NinaMarks

"Don't take this the wrong way," Carlos said, keeping his gun carefully trained on me. "I need you to put your hands back up. We aren't going to steal from you, but my wife is going to check you over for any other weapons."

I looked at the woman standing by his shoulder and was relieved to see she wore a welcoming expression. Standing about an inch taller than her husband, she looked to be about the same age as him with her soft features showing signs of aging from the crow's feet at the edges of her eyes. Her hair was pulled back in a tight knot, but I could still see the grey streaks in her dark brown hair. What really surprised me about the couple, however, was their clothing.

Snow gear.

They were both bundled up in down jackets, snow pants, boots, gloves – the works. If it had been any other circumstances, they would have looked like a pair ready for a ski trip. As things were, they were the best-dressed people for survival that I'd seen. It was both shocking and confusing, especially as I trembled from a chill that had set in so deep I could feel it in my bones.

"Okay," I answered Carlos through clenched teeth, putting my hands up. It wasn't like I had any other options as I'd already given away my gun. My next best weapon was my pesticide, but that was tucked away in my backpack. Even if I'd had it out and wanted to use it, it would have been a terrible idea to let it loose in such a confined space. Their small back hall foyer was barely big enough for the three of us and spraying anything would result in fumigating the place.

The woman walked over and began patting me down. From the corner of my eye, I could see her nose crinkle at my smell, but she didn't comment on it. As she got lower and touched my jeans, she recoiled a bit after touching them. "You're soaking wet."

I know.

She continued down to my ankles. "You must be freezing."

I am.

"Can I check inside your bag?"

Why not?

My head throbbed and my eyes burned from exhaustion. I wanted the process over with as soon as possible so I could figure out what my next steps would be. With numb fingers, I peeled my backpack off of my shoulder and brought it to my front to unzip it. I held it open for her as she poked around inside of it. She paused when she came across Abby's hanger, but otherwise seemed satisfied.

"You're all set." She backed away from me and put a gentle hand on her husband's shoulder. "Lower it a bit," her voice sounded soft but clear. With a bit of hesitation, Carlos lowered his gun to aim it downwards, but his hold was still one where that could quickly change at a moment's notice. Even though Carlos held the gun, I noted that despite all of his wife's gentle features, she had a commanding presence.

"I'm Paula," the woman said, finally introducing herself. "Why don't you come into the family room while I get you a blanket."

"Thank you, but, uh, do you mind if I changed first?" The couple exchanged a look. I couldn't entirely blame them for it. "I can do it with you in the room," I added, looking at Paula.

Paula shook her head. "It's fine. You can use the restroom. It's the first door on the left."

I nodded and followed her directions. Gingerly closing the door behind me, I took in what felt like my first real breath in over a day. My guard wasn't down, but as I looked around the bathroom and its charming decorations, I felt like I'd stepped into the past. Everything was in its place, there was no buildup of dust or musty smell clinging to the air. As I examined a small picture of dancing bunnies passing each other flowers in their movements, I truly understood that I had broken into a home – whether or not it was initially theirs.

Kicking off my shoes, I shucked my pants down my legs, but the process was painfully slow. The snow that had melted into them was still partially frozen and pulling them down my legs was like peeling off a layer of skin. My flesh underneath was a bright, blotchy red. I sighed in relief.

No frostbite.

I knew only a little about frostbite, but I did know that as long as the skin wasn't white and hard, I was still okay. I took a moment to check the rest of my body. My ears, fingers, and toes were also a deep red and felt swollen, but they had been better protected. I quickly changed my outfit and tried not to overthink it. I left my soiled clothing in the small trash bin by the sink, not caring if I'd regret the loss of them later.

With my palms on my ears, I made a move to leave the bathroom when a glimmer of sunshine danced across my eyes. I moved my head again to see a glint of light reflecting off of something on the windowsill. I stepped closer with mild curiosity and stilled.

The window was nailed shut.

My mind was blank, but my hackles raised. I wanted my gun. I left the bathroom with a smile painted on my face and found the couple in a cozy-looking family room just down the hall. They had been exchanging hushed whispers but stopped as I entered.

"Thank you for letting me change," I said, testing the waters and wanting to keep things cordial.

"Of course." Paula returned my smile, but I could now clearly see the strained edge to it. "Sit down and join us." She gestured towards a lazy-boy chair to the side of the couch they occupied. I moved to it with sure steps and sat down, immediately sinking into the plush fabric. She passed me a woolen blanket that I draped across my lap before settling my backpack on top of it.

"Are you hungry?"

The question caught me off guard. They looked and sounded nice, but I could fathom what situation I had entered. "I'm fine," I said despite my gnawing hunger. I still had a couple of cans of food left for when I couldn't take any longer.

Paula's expression tightened and Carlos patted her knee. "We're going to split a can of tomatoes, you're welcome to have some if you'd like.

I felt my eyebrows shoot upwards. That was not what I was expecting. "Uh, sure then. Thanks."

Carlos stood and left the room and I had an immediate urge to follow him along with pangs of regret. My exhaustion was fogging my mind and I wasn't thinking clearly when I'd agreed. I'd simply been too surprised.

What if they put something in my food?

I squeezed my backpack on my lap and felt the pins and needles in my legs as they finally had a slight chance to warm up. I wanted to move, but my gun on Paula's lap kept me still.

When Carlos reemerged, it was with a stack of bowls and three spoons that he placed on the coffee table between us. He left again and repeated the process two more times, carrying out a glass pitcher of water and cups and then a large, sealed tin can and opener.

He laid his rifle down as he opened the can in front of me. "Paula's got quite the green thumb, you see." He divvied out the contents of the can between the three bowls. "She grew the tomatoes herself. We had so many we couldn't give them away fast enough. She took up canning then. What was that two summers ago?"

"Three."

I glanced at Paula to see her flushed with pride, her loving gave fixed on her husband.

"Right. Three," he continued. "Anyways, you should see her garden. Come spring, that little plot of land you almost trampled over grows some of the best radishes you'll ever taste." He picked up a bowl and took a bite of the mushy tomato bits.

I stared at him in awe as Paula filled each of the cups with water. "You mean this is your house?" The words left my mouth before I could filter them.

They both looked affronted. "Of course it's our house," Paula said, observing me with a skeptical gaze.

"I'm sorry," I backtracked. "I didn't mean any offense. I was just surprised."

"Where is it you've come from?" Carlos had put his bowl down.

I swallowed down a lump in my throat and reached for the bowl in front of me. "I came from up north, from Greendale. I wasn't from there originally, but my husband and I got stuck there when..." I didn't need to explain further, I could see it in their faces that they clearly understood it all.

"We've heard some things about Greendale. Heard it all went to hell-"

"Carlos." Paula gave him a nudge.

"Sorry. Seems like things have been falling apart everywhere."

I nodded, taking a small bite of the mushed tomato so I wouldn't have to answer. The bright flavor on my tongue was unexpectedly delicious.

"So, did you lose track of your husband? Is he at the church?"

I put my spoon back in my bowl as Paula gave her husband another hard nudge. "He's... gone. I'm looking for my friends. We got split up yesterday."

An uncomfortable silence settled in. Paula was the first to break it. "I'm sorry for your loss."

I flinched, but the pain that I expected to come with it was a dull throb and not the all-consuming wave I'd expected. "Thanks." I took another bite of the food and heard the metal of the spoon clink against my teeth.

"You aren't alone then?" Carlos dodged his wife's incoming nudge, keeping his gaze fixated on me,

"No," I stated, meeting his gaze. "I'm not."

Throwing me off yet again, the corners of his mouth ticked up in an almost hidden smile. "Good. That's good."

I scrutinized the couple but didn't say anything. I simply continued to eat.

Something is off.

"The water is safe," Paula said eventually, evidentially having taken note that I hadn't drunk any of mine. "It's from the tub upstairs. We've been keeping it clean and filled since long before the power went out. We don't have too much left, but this water is still good to drink."

I looked between the two of them. The water had all come from one pitcher and they had both drunk out of their glasses. I raised mine and didn't see or smell anything wrong with it. Willing to appease them, I took a long sip, but before I knew it, I'd emptied the glass. "It's good."

Paula seemed pleased with that. I really wanted to believe that they were good people.

A bang sounded far off in the distance, I sat up in my chair, but the couple didn't move. They exchanged a long look with each other, almost communicating something I couldn't understand.

"Why don't you go take your rest now, sweetheart. I got this." Carlos gave Paula an encouraging smile.

Hers was just as warm but still a little wary. "You sure?"

He nodded.

She then turned back to me. "Sorry. I hope you don't mind. I was on lookout all night. Do you mind if I go nap for a few hours?"

I didn't think she even needed to ask me. "Oh, yeah. I mean, no, I don't mind. That's completely fine."

I wish I could sleep...

My temples throbbed harder as I forced another smile. I watched as she picked up her bowl and cup. "I'll be back in a bit then – just up the stairs if you need me."

I had a feeling that the last part was meant for Carlos. She left my gun with him. After she went upstairs, Carlos and I finished the rest of our meals in silence. It wasn't necessarily uncomfortable, but a tension seemed to be growing, like a string unplucked. I found myself sitting up straighter, holding my bag tighter, and keeping my eyes open wider.

A creak of a floorboard had my palms sweating as I squeezed them together.

"Mind if we move to the kitchen?" Carlos held his gun tight again. As he stood, I watched him place mine in his waistband. "It's easier to see the front of the house from there."

"That's fine," I followed him but swore I heard a creak again.

There were two kitchen chairs already placed at an angle where they could see out of a large kitchen window. I was glad to see that they were tucked away in the entryway to the hall, making them less easily seen from the outside. I could also clearly see the window I had broken towards the back of the kitchen. Someone had covered it in saran wrap.

Whoops.

We sat down and I thought the tension would dissipate, but it hung heavy in the air around us. I fidgeted, but Carlos sat still as a statue, keeping his eyes fixed outside.

"How have you guys managed to survive here for so long?" The question was burning inside of me. I had to ask, if for nothing else other than to hear my voice break up the silence.

His jaw worked for a moment as if he was mulling over his answer. I could see the moment he made the decision to give me a non-answer. "Well, we had a whole bunch of Paula garden's vegetables canned before this whole mess started. We even made a whole batch of vegetable stock some time back. So, we were all set up to hold out here. We've been doing just fine."

"Oh, I see."

Another creak squeaked. I was sure it came from the front of the house, but I couldn't see anything. I wanted to stand up to check, but as I turned to Carlos to tell him what I intended to do, I saw he was staring at me.

"What are you afraid of, Kate?"

My heart squeezed in my chest. "Excuse me?"

"What are you afraid of?" he repeated, never taking his eyes from me. "Everybody is afraid of something."

I wanted my gun. "I don't want to die."

"Not many people do. I'm sure that's why we're all trying so hard to survive. But is that what you're afraid of?"

I felt a flicker of anger. I didn't know what he was trying to get out of me or why, but he seemed to almost want to antagonize me. "I don't want to die in fear," I told him with a glare.

"That's not a bad answer. That'll help keep you alive. Think you're friends in the church feel the same way?"

A zing of fear shot through me so intensely, that I shot out of my chair to stare down at Carlos.

"Ah." A look of understanding bloomed on his face. "So, your greatest fear then is losing them?"

I had trouble taking a breath as my mind raced to find a way to disarm the gun-wielding man in front of me.

"Then you understand how I feel," Carlos continued, cutting through the fog of anxiety that had begun to cloud my mind. "I've been married to that woman upstairs for thirty-six years. We've been friends since we were seven years old. I'd do anything for her. Would you do anything for them?"

My mind swirled in chaotic thoughts, but I only had one answer to give. "Yes."

"Then help us."

What?

I had no idea what exactly he was asking of me. The creak sounded again and wanting an excuse to put space between me and Carlos, I took a step farther into the kitchen. I turned my head to the window almost in a daze. Piercing blue eyes met mine as a face peered in from the outside. I staggered back, nearly knocking over my chair as the heavily bearded man backed away from the front porch.

"Help us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300K 28.3K 38
A comic apocalyptic sci-fi romp. The zombie apocalypse has come and gone, the world has ended, humanity has crumbled... Nobody told the aliens. Ali...
6.3K 305 20
After a rabid novel infection brings about doomsday and, well, zombies, the only way to survive is to keep going and never look back. Trust is a seld...
4.1M 248K 92
After escaping a stalled elevator into a zombie apocalypse, Emily must learn how to trust people again or risk losing everything in this terrifying w...
105 6 11
When the world is infected with man eating monsters, survivors can be scarce. Kate, an 18 year old college student, has been faced with the challenge...