Aftermath

By heartlessbrock

This is the sequel to Chaos. Hope you enjoy! More

2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
101
102
103
104
105
106
107
108
109
110
111
112
113
114
115
116
117
118
119
120
121
122
123
124
125
126
Not a chapter

1

10K 111 409
By heartlessbrock

4 years later.

"Julia!" Jenna yelled from downstairs causing me to rub my eyes and sit up.

Shit.

I had overslept again.

"Coming!" I yelled then went to my dresser, pulling out a pair of leggings and putting them on.

"Jule, we're gonna be late." Sam said as he popped his head into the room. "I know, I'm sorry, I overslept again." I said and pulled a tshirt on.

"I'll tell Jenna and Carter to get in the car." Sam said then left the room.

"You're an idiot, Jules." I groaned to myself then went into the bathroom and ran to brush my teeth.

Life has been so crazy since everything happened all those years ago.

After I read the letter Colby left me I immediately started packing.

It was difficult explaining to the kids that yet another person was abandoning us but luckily they eventually understood.

We ended up moving to Spokane, Washington. It was closer to where we used to live but far enough away that we wouldn't have to deal with our past.

My mother stayed out of our lives for a couple years but recently has been reaching out, trying to get the kids back from me.

She technically was still their legal guardian because I couldn't get legal guardianship, because I relied on pills again.

I fell deep into my addiction, letting the pills take over me once again.

It got really bad, but I was able to sober up quickly when I found out that I was pregnant.

Unfortunately due to all of the complications from my life and body around that time, I lost the baby.

It was the hardest thing in my life to deal with because it was my fault.

I couldn't cry in front of my siblings though, I had to be strong and stay sober. I promised them they would get a life they deserved.

I've been three years sober now, and have actually gotten my life together at least a little bit.

I was back in school, and I worked full time at a restaurant in town.

Most of the money Colby left was still here since I was afraid to spend it.

We obviously got a house with it, but it wasn't anything fancy.

I didn't like to think about the time I had with Colby and the others. It brought me back to the day he left me.

My heart had shattered into a million pieces that day and I was still working on picking them up.

Sam and the girls tried to keep in contact with me for a little while but I blocked them out. I couldn't be involved with them if I wanted to heal.

They were my past.

Since the kids were older, Carter and Jenna being fourteen, Sam being eleven and Juniper being five, I had to get them all ready for school.

I tried to get up early every morning to make them breakfast but since I was working my ass off with not only school but work, I was exhausted.

It was hard making ends meet since I was the only income for four kids and myself, but I would do anything for them.

I knew I had Colby's money to fall back on, but I didn't use it. I resented Colby for what he did to me.

I hated him.

I thought a breakup text was bad, but it had nothing on a breakup letter from a man who had fled the state to never be seen again.

It was especially painful after I took a bullet for him but I digress.

"JULE." Carter groaned as I ran down the stairs, snatching my hair into a ponytail.

"I'm sorry!! I'll drive at super speed, I promise." I said then grabbed my keys and scooped Juniper up and onto my hip.

"You're silly, sissy." Juniper said as I nodded. "Yeah, super silly." I said then jogged to the car, quickly strapping her into her car seat while the others got in the car.

"Let's go." I said then hopped into the car. "You're lucky we love you." Jenna said as I started the car.

"I worked late last night then had to write a paper. I went to bed at four." I explained and started to speed down the road.

"I feel like you shouldn't be driving a car then." Carter mumbled as I chuckled. "It's safer than any of you driving." I said as a cop pulled behind me.

"God damn it." I grumbled and pulled over. "Aaaaand we're late." Jenna said with a sigh then leaned her head back in the seat.

"Wanna tell me why you were going seventy in a fourty five?" The officer said as I rolled my window down.

"Kids are late for school, I'm sorry." I said, not even trying to deny my knowledge of the speed I was going.

"License and registration." He said as I groaned. "I forgot my wallet at home." I said and closed my eyes.

"Registration." He said as I nodded and reached for the glove department.

"I can bring my license to the police station after I drop the kids off." I said and handed him the registration to the car.

"For you, I'll take it." The cop said with a smile then sighed. "I'll be back." He said then turned to go to his car.

"The cop has a crush on you." Carter said as I reach back and smacked his leg. "Stop." I said with a laugh.

"It's true." Jenna said with a shrug. "Sissy has a crush, too!" Juniper said with a giggle as she bounced in her seat.

"All of you, stop. He doesn't have a crush he's just doing his job." I said and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Whatever you say, Jule." Sam said with a laugh. "This is for you. Bring that ID to the police station and ask for me." The guy said and flashed a smile, handing me a ticket.

"Thanks." I mumbled then put it in the glovebox with the registration. "I'll bring it in about an hour." I said and looked at his name tag.

M. Octavia.

"Alright. No more speeding, get the kids to school." He said then waved at all of the kids. "Will do." I mumbled as he walked away.

"Nice work." Carter said as I nodded. "Your sister is a fuck up, what can I say?" I asked and started to drive to the school again.

"Don't say bad words." Sam said as I nodded. "Sorry." I said and focused on the road.

When I got to Juniper's school I parked the car and got out since I had to explain why she was late.

"Stay here." I said the Jenna, Carter, and Sam and got out of the car, grabbing Juniper.

"I don't wanna go." Juniper said as I carried her inside.

"You say that every day and end up having so much fun." I said causing her to giggle. "We sing and get snack!" She said happily. "My two favorite things." I said then went inside.

"Hi, I'm Julia. This is Juniper, she's in kindergarten and I overslept that's why she's late." I explained as the secretary nodded.

"Sign her in, then I'll take her to the classroom." She said as I nodded and signed Juniper in. "Okay, kid. I'll be here to pick you up later." I said then kissed her cheek.

"Bye Jule!!" She squealed then left with the secretary.

I sighed then turned to go to the car.

"Alright, you're next." I said the remaining kids. "We could just not go." Carter said with a shrug.

"Nice try." I said then started the car and started driving to the middle school.

When we got there I got out and did the same thing I did for Juniper.

When I was done with that I got to the car. It was the first time today that I felt like I could decompress.

"AUGHH." I groaned and leaned my head back. I wanted so desperately to just get high and lay in bed, mourning the loss of my early adulthood.

Sure, I loved my brothers and sisters. It wasn't how I was expecting to live my life though.

I had gone from my own person to a mom of four in such a short period of time.

It was a whirlwind that I was still trying to navigate.

My thoughts were interrupted by my phone going off.

"Shit." I whispered and answered the phone. "Hello?" I asked and scrubbed my face with my hand.

"Hey, Jules...you on your way?" My manager, Stacie, asked as my eyes watered. "Shit...I'm sorry, I'm so jumbled up today. I forgot you asked me to come in." I said, holding back the breakdown that was swelling in my chest.

"Don't worry about it, it's slow so I can handle ir until you get here." She said as I frowned. "I have to go home and change, then go to the police station." I said, causing her to gasp.

"What happened?!" She asked with concern. "I'll tell you when I get there. I'll hurry, I promise." I said then started the car.

"Alright, drive safe." She said then hung up the phone.

I had to fight back the urge to cry because I was so overwhelmed with today so far.

I knew things were going to be difficult when I took all of this on, but I didn't think it would be like this.

My life was a total mess.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

305K 8.6K 170
Fourth book of the Lucky series.
291K 7.1K 112
This is a sequel to heartless, if you haven't read that one yet, read that haha love you guys!
251K 6.6K 173
Third book to Chaos series. Enjoy.
6.3K 264 27
The sequel to Asylum.