𝔸 ℂ𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕥 𝕠𝕗 𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖 𝕒...

Oleh urwritergurl

Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, th... Lebih Banyak

𝐼𝓃𝓉𝓇𝑜𝒹𝓊𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃
𝓐 𝓒𝓞𝓤𝓡𝓣 𝓞𝓕 𝓛𝓞𝓥𝓔 𝓐𝓝𝓓 𝓦𝓡𝓐𝓣𝓗
𝒢𝓇𝒶𝓅𝒽𝒾𝒸𝓈 𝒢𝒶𝓁𝓁𝑒𝓇𝓎 + 𝒯𝓇𝒶𝒾𝓁𝑒𝓇
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-one
Fifty-two
Fifty-three
Fifty-five
Fifty-Six
Fifty-Seven
Fifty-Eight
Fifty-Nine
Sixty
Sixty-one
Sixty-two
Sixty-Three
Sixty-Four
Sixty-Five
Sixty-six
Sixty-Eight
Sixty-Nine
Seventy
Seventy-One
Game of Aces
Seventy-Two
Seventy-Three
Seventy-Four
Seventy-Five
Seventy-Six
Seventy-Seven
Seventy-Eight
Seventy- Nine
Eighty
Eighty-One
Eighty-Two
Eighty-Three
Eighty-Four
Eighty-Five
Eighty-Six
Eighty-Seven
Eighty-Eight
Eighty-Nine
Ninety
Ninety-One
Ninety-Two
Ninety-Three
Ninety-Four
Ninety-Five
Ninety-Six
Ninety-Seven
Ninety-Eight
Ninety-Nine
One-Hundred
Hundred-one
Hundred-Two
Hundred-Three
Hundred-Four
Hundred-Five
Hundred-Six
Hundred-Seven
Hundred-Eight
Hundred-Nine
Hundred-Ten
Hundred-Eleven
Hundred-Twelve
Hundred-Thirteen
Hundred-Fourteen
Hundred-Fifteen
AHHHHHHHHHH
Hundred-Sixteen
Hundred-Seventeen
Hundred-Eighteen
Hundred-Nineteen
Hundred-Twenty
Hundred-Twenty-One
Hundred-Twenty-Two
Hundred-Twenty-Three
Hundred-Twenty-Four
Hundred-Twenty-Five
Hundred-Twenty-Six
Hundred-Twenty-Seven
Hundred-Twenty-Eight
Hundred-Twenty-Nine
Hundred-Thirty
Hundred-Thirty-One
THANK YOU

Sixty-Seven

6.8K 274 32
Oleh urwritergurl

"Damn you, you ninja." Cassian said, lying on the floor of the ring like a beached turtle. His eyes were closed as his breath was knocked out of him. You'd think that besting Cassian wouldn't get old, yet after our hundredth round of sparring, it got a bit tedious.

I'd barely had time to sleep the past few days because the General had insisted I teach him everything I knew about combat. I'd obliged, of course. I'd never miss a chance to talk fighting.

    It was only when we were both getting sloppy with exhaustion that he'd said, "Eight AM tomorrow. I'll see you bright and early." I'd merely replied with something along the lines of "Are you trying to make me want to hurl you into a wall?" He'd merely flipped me off and retreated to his rooms.

    Cassian hadn't been the only one persistent against beating me. Mor and Azriel had been nearly as exhausting as Cass. Jumping on every opportunity to jump in and learn as I taught Cass a few of the more difficult things I'd learned at the Flame.

    I wanted to trust them all. I wanted to be able to share all of what I had been taught without thoughts of betrayal creeping in and poisoning my mind.

    They had done nothing but prove how trustworthy they were. Deep down, I knew they could be trusted, and yet some basic instinct of mine told me never fully to trust anyone.

    And I also knew I had good reason for feeling that way...

A small, dainty snort came from a few feet away, "And that would make ten times she's sent you falling to the floor in the last hour."

    Cassian braced his elbows on the floor, turning his chin to look at the source of the comment, "Keep talking, Amren, and I'll drag you into the ring and see how much practicing you've actually been doing."

    The ancient one simply continued flicking the dirt from under her nails with a tiny bone, acting as though Cassian was a pesky fly buzzing in her ear. "Touch me, Cassian, and i'll remove your favorite part. Small as it might be."

    I thinned my lips, stepping away from the ring as I stopped myself from snorting in amusement.

    Cassian chuckled, getting up from the floor of the ring and turning to face Amren.

    We'd spent the last four days doing this—or at least most of them had.  Had been blissfully spared from most of the circle's bickering, mainly because I had no idea what they were bickering about most of the time.

    I'd worked on my magic, aside from brushing up on my combat skills. I'd made...progress. Not much, thanks to Rhysand's annoying presence and his constant distractions.

    Word hadn't yet arrived from Summer Court. All of us had tried to ignore the sinking feeling that word wouldn't arrive as each day passed. Azriel continued his attempts to infiltrate the court of the mortal queens, his spies now seeking a way to get a foothold inside. He'd been quieter than usual as they failed to do so. We'd all tried to cheer him up at some point—even me—but it'd been futile. I figured it would be until we found a way into the court.

    Amren's silver eyes flicked over to the stairwell, "Good. You can play with her."

    Mor and my sister stepped out from the shadows of the stairwell. The third of the Night Court's brows furrowed, "Play with who?" she asked.

    I looked to my sister beside her, still unable to meet my eyes. I wished I knew why my secret had upset her so much. I wished she'd talk to me. And yet I'd barely seen her in the past few days, all I'd gotten was terse nods and small yes, and no's.

    Part of me understood. We'd vowed no more secrets, and I'd kept something so big from her. So many things I'd kept from her that I didn't think I could ever bring myself to admit. Monstrous things.

And yet part of me was angry. Angry that I'd given up so much for her, and she'd found it so easy to turn her back on me.

    "Where'd you go the other night?" Cassian asked, and I turned to him. "I didn't see you leave Rita's." he added.

    Rita's. Also known as pure chaos.

    They'd dragged me out two nights ago, along with Feyre. It was mayhem. Mor had nearly danced herself to death, Cass with her. Azriel and I had sat nursing our wines after Feyre left—and she had left quite quickly after seeing me sitting at the booth—simply talking about how insane Cassian and Mor were most of the time.

    Rhys had been holding court at the bar, and I was delighted to see what he was like, slightly tipsy. People watched Rhys throughout the night, males and females, all observing their dutiful high lord as he drank half his weight in faerie wine.

    Azriel and I ended up making a game out of it. Betting who'd work up the courage to go up to him and invite him into their beds.

    Unsurprisingly, Azriel won most rounds. But I took a large amount of joy in taking nearly 20 coins from the shadowsinger. I refuse to admit the amount of money I owe and will never give him...At least he was in a better mood toward the end of the night—even so much as smiling.

    Rhys didn't accept any offers that came his way. Much to my surprise granted how much of a tease he was most of the time. No matter how beautiful they were, how much they'd smiled and laughed. His refusals were polite yet firm.

    I wondered if he'd been with anyone since...I could barely finish the thought. What they'd done to him—what she'd done to him was horrible. It made me sick to think about it.

    He hadn't deserved it. Not in a million years.

    Amarantha had merited a death far worse than what she was given. No, what she was dealt was a mercy. A mercy she didn't deserve. Not in a million years.

    She should have suffered a death twice as long as the years she'd hurt Rhys. I would have been happy to deal with that to her.

    For him.

    No.

"I just went...out," Mor replied to Cassian after a moment. Another chaise similar to Amren had appeared, and both Feyre and Mor plopped onto it.

    "With whom?" Cassian pushed further.

    Mor leaned back into her chair, a small edge lighting in her eyes, "Last I was aware, I didn't take orders from you, Cassian. Or report to you. So where I was and who I was with is none of your damn concern."

    And that is how you put a male in his damn place.

    "You didn't tell Azriel either." The general added.

    Maybe Cassian hadn't spent all those years as a buffer for Mor...maybe, just maybe it was to keep the shadowsinger from getting hurt.

    The general finally noted that I was still standing in front of him. Quickly and very not-Cassian-ly got out of the ring and hung up his weapons on the many racks that held them.

I followed ensuite, grateful for the break. For a moment, just a moment, I wished Nesta was here. If only to see her and Cassian go head to head. I wasn't sure who'd walk away from that match.

"Why exactly," he spoke to the two other females, "are you two ladies here?"

"Rhys is coming in a few moments to give us some news, apparently. Didn't Amren tell you?" Mor replied, tipping her head back toward the sun.

"I forgot," Amren said, still cleaning her nails and clearing lying. "I was having too much fun watching Danika evade Cassian's tried and true techniques before she sent him flying."

Cass's brows rose, 'You've been her for an hour."

"Oops." she said, her gaze as sharp as a blade.

Cassian threw his hands up in the air, clearly annoyed with the world. "Get off your ass and give me twenty lunges—"

An unearthly, vicious snarl cut him off.

Thankfully—before a literal war broke out—Rhys stalked into the room, though I couldn't decide if I was disappointed or relieved not to see Cassian and Amren's tiny spat.

The high lord was in his Dainty little clothes, as I called them. He hated it. I loved it. No Illyrian leathers, no wings. He looked from his second and the general to me and then the ring. He raised a brow, "Sorry to interrupt while things were getting interesting."

"Fortunately for Cass's balls," Amren growled. I grinned. "You arrived right in time."

    Rhys laughed, and said, "Ready to go on summer holiday?"

    Mor's brows raised, "The Summer Court invited you?"

    "Of course they did, Danika, Amren, and I are going tomorrow."

    Just the three of us? Odd, but an agreeable choice. We'd look less conspicuous if there were a smaller number of us.

    "The Summer Court is full of hotheaded fools and arrogant pricks," Cassian voiced, a serious tone in his voice. "I should come with you."

    "You'd fit right in." Amren taunted, "Too bad you aren't going."

    He pointed a finger at her, "Watch it, Amren."

    Her lips formed a lethal, venomous smile. "Believe me. I'd prefer not to go, either."

Rhys rubbed his temples in a way that told me their arguing was a common occurrence. "Cassian, considering the fact that the last time you visited, it didn't end well—"

"I wrecked one building—"

"And," he was cut off, "considering the fact that they are utterly terrified of sweet Amren, she is the wiser choice."

"It could be a trap," Cassian warned, "Who's to say the delay in replying wasn't because they're contacting our enemies to ambush you?"

"That is also why Amren is coming." Rhys said simply, "There is also a great deal of treasure to be found in Summer Court. If the book is hidden, Amren, you might find other objects to your liking."

"Shit," The general threw his hands up in frustration. "Really, Rhys? It's bad enough we're stealing from them, but robbing them blind—"

"Rhysand does have a point," Amren cut in finally, "Their High Lord is young and untested. I doubt he's had much time to catalog his inherited hoard since he was appointed Under the Mountain. I doubt he'll know anything is missing. Very well, Rhysand—I'm in."

Cassian began to object again, but the High Lord spoke first, "I will need you—not Amren—in the human realm. The Summer Court has banned you for eternity, and though your presence would be a good distraction while Danika does what she has to do, it could lead to more trouble than it's worth."

I knew what I had to do. And I had done a great deal worse than stealing a teensy little book.

"Just cool your heels, Cassian." Amren said. "We'll be fine without your swaggering and growling at everyone. Their High Lord owes Rhys a favor for saving his life Under the Mountain—and keeping his secrets."

Mor chimed in, "And the High Lord also probably wants to figure out where we stand in regard to any upcoming conflict."

Cassian jerked his chin at me, "Dani, though. It's one thing to have her and Feyre here—even when everyone knows it. It's another thing to bring her to another court and introduce her as a member of our own—as well as Feyre."

But Rhys was done, turning around and strolling for the open archway. Cassian lurched to follow, but Mor brought up a hand, "leave it." The General glared but obeyed.

I followed instead.

"Any more traps I should be aware of? Any need for a decoy?" I baited him.

He turned to look over his shoulder atop the stair landing. A half-grin present on his face. "And here I was thinking our notes had meant you'd forgiven me."

"Far from it." I replied, coming to a stand in front of him. "Who would've thought the all-powerful High Lord of the Nigh Court liked passing notes back and forth like a little schoolboy. I would've thought you'd have more important things to do."

"I do." he purred,  "But I find myself unable to resist the temptation. The same way you can't resist watching me whenever we're out. So territorial."

I raised my brows. "It's no secret you're pleasing to look at, Rhys." I replied, simply closing the distance between us as I looked up at him, "And yet you're the one who hasn't been able to keep away from me since I threatened to maim you on Calanmai. You want to talk territorial," I patted his cheek like a little boy, "look in the mirror."

Something rippled in his eyes that I couldn't place, he grinned almost seductively, and my traitorous eyes immediatly went to his lips. I stepped back just as Rhys spoke again, cocking his head. "I can't wait to see what that wicked tongue of yours can do at the Summer court." He said, his gaze fixated on my lips as he ran his tongue over his own. I tracked the motion again.

Suddenly the walls were too close, the hall too small. Everything was hot, my mind, my body, like I'd been set aflame. The air was tight around me, wrapping around the two of us like an invisible rope.

Breath had escaped me moments ago.

And then suddenly, I was looking at a whirl of shadow as Rhys winnowed away.

I finally let out the breath I'd been holding for moments now.

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

A/N: bros. I'm so sorry for not updating. I've been ridiculously busy. I made the horrendous mistake of signing up for 4 online classes on top of all my other classes—two of which are AP, not including the AP class I'm already taking—in conclusion, I've had zero time to live.

    But, as of now, I'm going to have a whole lot more time. I'm transferring schools, and this school is going to provide a whole lot more time for things I actually want to do.

here's a long chapter to make up for my absence. MISSED YOU GUYS.

    YAYYYAYAYAYYA

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

138K 6.5K 55
Tw: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thank you. (Book three in the Starlight se...
59.2K 1.9K 18
𝐄𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐚: 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬. She saw herself as one could view the moon. Isolated from everyone, alone in the da...
34.7K 571 25
*BOOK 2* The Night Court was a dream, long gone now and out of reach. Feyre is once again in the Spring Court, desperate to save the people she loves...
665K 26.2K 75
TW: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thanks. (Book one in the Starlight series...