It Began In Italy | ✔️

By moonlighttkisscs

One last trip with her family before she goes to University. Her intentions for this trip were to spend ever... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
EPILOGUE
Thank you :)

Chapter Twenty Nine

122 7 3
By moonlighttkisscs

"How are you feeling?" Nico asks as we take steady steps down the rickety stairs. I would give my life to walk down these stairs every day, never to have to imagine what it'll be like to not worry about breaking my neck with every step. A growing resentment towards my hometown settles within me and I huff.

"I'm okay. This headache is trying to maim me though," I say, letting out a small laugh. Nico smiles before pressing a kiss to my temple.

"Hopefully this will take your mind off of it," he says and my heart swells with excitement. A foreign feeling. The lack of anxiety almost makes me concerned for myself. What has this man done to me?

"...And where exactly are we going?" I ask as we move towards the marina. In the distance several people are seated on the beach, a few boats bobbing freely upon the waves. The setting sun casts a golden glow on the town before us.

Nico doesn't answer me until we are within reach of the ocean. "A lantern ceremony," he informs me and I can't help my bright smile. "We let them go with our wishes for the future."

"That's beautiful," I say, just above a whisper. His hand squeezes mine as he leads me down onto the beach and towards a table full of lanterns.

The small woman hands us one, giving us a warm smile. When Nico leads me away from the beach, I furrow my brows. Nico soon notices my confusion and only smiles. It's when I realise we're walking towards the docks that both anticipation and that familiar anxious feeling return.

"Now, amore mio, I know you hate boats but I'll be here with you," those blue eyes meet mine and any worries and anxieties seem to dissipate.

When we're met with a quaint boat, Nico places the lantern into the craft before his hands meet my waist. He raises his eyebrows as if to say ready? Nodding, I close my eyes and squeal when he lifts me into the boat. My eyes refuse to open until I'm safely sat in the wooden craft.

"See, not so bad?" Nico laughs and my eyelids finally peel open. Nico carefully gets into the boat - with much more grace, might I add. I watch as his hands skilfully untie the rope from the anchor and he pushes us away from the docks.

Others are bobbing along the water, the sky presenting us with wondrous oranges and yellows. "Has anyone ever told you how romantic you are?" I smile and Nico shakes his head, bashfully. If it weren't for the growing darkness I'm sure I'd be able to see his cheeks flush.

"I can't say that I've ever gone to these extents with someone before so, I couldn't tell you," he shrugs and the idea that I'm the first to experience this makes my heart swell in my chest.

I can only hope that I am also the last.

Nico opens the lantern and pulls out a lighter. "And what do you wish for, Niccolo?" I say and he looks up, his eyes meeting mine.

"I mean... there is this one girl who I've fallen so in love with that I feel like I can't breathe when she's not near. I guess I could wish for a future where there's nothing but her and me and there would be no distance separating the both of us. But, I don't know it's not that much of a big deal, you?" Nico says with mock nonchalance.

"Well, there is this one guy who's quite literally turned my world upside down and he's the only reason I've been able to survive this trip. I suppose I could wish for all of the pressures of my life to just disappear so I could spend the rest of my life with him, living without worry and in his arms but it's not that big of a deal," I shrug and Nico let's out a small laugh.

"Hm... I must meet this guy you're talking about," Nico says and I nod my head.

"I'm sure you'd love him, he's an excellent cook and is beyond romantic," I point out as Nico lights the lantern. The material glows a bright orange and people on the beach begin to count down from ten.

"I guess we could wish for those two people to be reunited once more?" Nico continues the ruse and I roll my eyes in jest. He gestures for me to place my hands over his and I do so.

"I would love nothing more," I smile. When they finally reach zero, Nico and I lift the lantern into the air and watch as the wind lifts it up into the night sky. "To us."

"To us," Nico whispers as we both watch the sky fill with golden lights. Nico's knees brush against mine and when my gaze returns to his, I simply cannot resist him when he leans in and his lips press sweetly against mine.

My hands rest on either side of his neck as his hand meets my waist. "I love you," I can't help but say and Nico pulls me to sit on his lap. I thank the heavens for the darkness that surrounds us, the only lights being from the town and the several lanterns dotted around.

"Hai macchiato per sempre il mio cuore," Nico returns and I smile against his lips. "I love you," he brushes a strand of hair away from my face.

This memory will forever stay in my heart and I'm so glad to have met someone who has made me feel seen but more so has made me feel loved. I'm not quite sure what I would've done if I didn't go to the restaurant that night. Most likely I would've drowned myself in the sea by now to rid myself of my mother's nagging. The thought makes me laugh to myself.

"What are you thinking about?" he asks and I rest my head on his shoulder. Nico's scent fills my senses and I find that I feel at home. He is home. A home I've only found within a few weeks but a home that feels permanent.

"Everything... you," I say and Nico smooths my hair, twirling pieces through his fingers.

"All good, I hope," he says and I scoff as if I'd ever have anything bad to say about him. A bell rings and red lights flash at the shore. I immediately sit up from my relaxed state, alert.

The waves had moved us further from the shore and I furrow my brows as the boat sways. "What's going on?" I ask and Nico's hands hastily meet the ores and rows vigorously.

"The red lights... there's a storm coming in and quick," he says and my heart races in my chest. A storm and we're stuck on a boat. It's gonna be okay. I repeat those four words and close my eyes. "Hey, Heidi, it's okay," Nico says and I use his voice as my anchor.

"Yeah, I know," I admit but my voice breaks, unveiling my true unease. Nico wasn't lying when he said quick. The boat began to rock more vigorously but we were making our way towards the docks nonetheless.

As soon as we reach the safe haven of the docks, Nico lifts me onto the edge before getting out himself. His hands reach for both sides of my head, forcing me to look his way. "You need to promise me that you're going to go home and stay inside until the storm passes."

This only curdles more anxiety within me. Is it really going to be this horrific? "Where are you going?" I immediately ask. What he's saying insinuates that he will not be with me.

Nico shakes his head. "I need to go to the restaurant to make sure that everything is in order so that nothing of too much value will be lost if it escalates," he explains.

My brows knit together in concern. "I'm coming with you and you can't stop me," I say and Nico runs a hand over his face in frustration. If this is as dangerous as he's making this out to be, then I am most certainly not leaving him.

The wind picks up as Nico moves away from me, tying the rope around the anchor - pulling it to test its durability. With the wind howling a large crack of thunder splinters through the sky.

"Your stubbornness will be the end of me," Nico says, not trying to fight me, before grabbing my hand and pulling me along at a fast pace. One stride of his is equivalent to two of mine meaning I have to walk twice as fast just to be within earshot of him.

The rain begins at a slow drizzle as we cross the marina but when Nico's family's restaurant is within sight, it's pelting down like rocks from the sky.

Rain blurs my vision, my running mascara causes my eyes to burn relentlessly. Another crack of thunder, another bolt of lightning. The rain is now heavier than ever and my clothes are beyond drenched.

When we're finally under the cover of the restaurant, I wipe the water from my eyes - somewhat regaining my vision. "Follow me," Nico instructs and I nod.

Following him into the kitchen of the restaurant, Nico moves towards the corner, moving aside boxes upon boxes. Peeling away a cover, Nico reveals a safe and jots in a four-digit pin. The safe door swings open and Nico takes out a note encased in a frame and stacks of money.

"Do you need any help?" I ask but he shakes his head before slamming the door closed. "We're closer to the cabin..." he trails off before gesturing for me to leave the kitchen.

Walking at a speedy pace, there's not much time to think as we venture back into the chaos of the weather. The rain pelts against my exposed skin, feeling like I was being pinched hundreds of times. Squinting through the haze, Nico's hand grips mine as he pulls me along, towards the direction of the cabin.

Nico swings open the door, letting me go in first. As soon as we find refuge within the small walls, I am more than glad we have made it to safety. Nico goes into the bedroom, moving at a pace I've never seen before. The sense of ease running through me seems ridiculous seeing Nico's panic.

Following in his direction, I watch as he pulls up one side of the rug, revealing a faulty floorboard beneath before lifting it to reveal another safe. "We're not really supposed to be using this place. It's going under construction soon so my parents don't want anyone in here but they don't seem to be moving it along very quickly. Come on, let's get in the shower before we get ill."

Nodding my head in understanding, Nico takes my hand and leads me into the bathroom. Peeling the wet clothes off of our skin, I can't help but laugh as he struggles to pull down my shorts due to them almost moulding to the tops of my thighs.

When they finally fall to the floor, he presses small kisses on the insides of my cold thighs, squeezing them. I can't help but tangle my fingers in the roots of his hair, as I try to not melt at his touch.

Rain pelts against the skylight but it all seems to be muffled as I watch his lips trail higher. He's inches away before he stops. Standing, he leans into the shower and twists the faucet. Hot water comes pulsing out and he pulls me in with him, the water cascading down our bodies once more. With the exception of the pain that had come with the rain outside.

The chaos of the storm brews around us but with him, I can only find peace.

His lips mould to mine in a way they have not before, with a sweetness I can only describe as pure heaven. My hands slide down his sculpted body, dipping with each muscle - stopping on the familiar tattoos. Reaching my hands lower, Nico smiles against my lips.

"Your touch drives me crazy, amore mio," he groans, gripping my hips. Nico guides me backwards before my back is pressed against the cool tile. "Not even forever would be enough time for me to do all the things I want to do to you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 230 42
[#3 in Summer Love] [#7 in Summer Nights] [#7 in Summer To Remember] ♥ Read this if you love: The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants, Twilight ♥ His c...
14 0 5
The summer of my junior year in high school I fell, my accident prone and wild emotional behaviour led me to three unforgettable guys. There's no oth...
3.7K 81 16
You have been dating Italy since your first day at Hetalia Academy where you started as a tiny unknown island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It...
3.4K 471 34
Two weeks. Two weeks of sun, sand and stress-free fun. At least that's the package Lizzie was sold. Little does she know, the package was a dream. A...